Keeping Chris in front

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Reuben Bailey's picture
Reuben Bailey
Keeping Chris in front

I have a concern about the website: I feel that Chris Martenson is becoming a little lost in the shuffle on the main page of his website. I have been a member here for a while, and I enjoy the community and the discussions that happen here very much, but I find myself feeling a little leery when I want to send someone to the site who has never been before, and is new to the issues that we are facing.  I feel this way because some of the topics that are being discussed here, while important, are likely (in my view) to sound extreme to the uninitiated.  They are also not the reason that I am sending people here - I am sending them here to see two things:  first, Chris' PBS presentation, which I think is a very good “first dose” of Chris, his style, and the information, and second, the Crash Course itself. 
My hope is  that they will choose to register/become a member afterwards and spend time on the forums, but my feeling is that some people would be put off by some of the forum topics that seem a bit too far out. 
If it were up to me to re-design the main page of the site, I would basically split the current main page in two: the first one that loads when www.PeakProsperity.com is entered would be focused on Chris and his material.  This page would have most of the current links; I would leave out the New Forum Topics and Recent Comments lists.  I would add a link directly to the streaming video of the PBS presentation  and a single link to a main forum page.  I would set this new forums page up in much the same manner as the current main page.  The center column would be Davos' Daily Digest and any other posts (aside from Chris') that would currently go in the center.  The sides would have the two lists that are removed from the main page.  I would be inclined to remove these two lists from the sides of the Crash course pages as well, if removing them is not too involved.  I would keep the link to the specific forum for each chapter, and those forum pages would link into the main forums.
To me this is a matter of keeping the focus for newcomers on the common material that I would guess attracted most of us to this site to begin with – the Crash Course and Chris Martenson's read on the latest data.
All the best,
Reuben Bailey

PS Again, I feel that the forum discussions of NWO and other potential power plays are important, but I do not want them to cause "main streamers" who are here for the first time to run before they see Chris' work.

Septimus's picture
Septimus
Re: Keeping Chris in front

Hi Reuben,

Good points.

Also, I know Chris is very busy but a little more frequent reports and podcasts would help to keep him up front.

- Septimus

Ready's picture
Ready
Reuben Bailey wrote:

PS Again, I feel that the forum discussions of NWO and other potential power plays are important, but I do not want them to cause "main streamers" who are here for the first time to run before they see Chris' work.

Reuben,

I might suggest an alternate approach, providing DVDs of the crash course could solve your concerns immediately. I do however understand your point.

I have provided DVDs to newbies and talked them thru the sections over the water cooler as they progress. Once they become to internalize the information, seeing the site and the broader views discussed are not nearly as big a shock.

Best,

Rog

Mike Pilat's picture
Mike Pilat
Quote:

PS Again, I feel that the forum discussions of NWO and other potential
power plays are important, but I do not want them to cause "main
streamers" who are here for the first time to run before they see
Chris' work. 

I heartily agree. While attempting to understand or predict what's going on by speculating on connections between events and potential future outcomes, I think we can all get better handle on the truth of the crisis. But at the same time, the speculative nature of many of these sorts of topics does not deserve a front seat in the same way that the Crash Course itself does. Additionally, I think it might discourage mainstreamers and even undermine the credibility of this site in the yes of a newcomer. Thanks for this post.

joe2baba's picture
joe2baba

good points reuben

i have been here for over a year. and miss the old days. there was a lot more of chris back then but i understand things change.

i am somewhat ambivalent about gearing the site to newbies. on the one hand  i see your point of not wanting to scare people away and on the other i dont know how much scarier it can be out there in the "real world".

some might consider some of the topics too far out but hey we have a monetary system in the control of corporations who we do not vote for and who create money out of thin air.............kinda sounds like a pretty far out system to me. the problem is most people dont have a clue. while i agree that some might get it if it was spoon fed with a little bit of sugar time is running out.

i found my way here when someone turned me onto chris's end of money article. so i found out about chris and dr. bartlett at the same time. that article is a pretty stunning intro to the rest of the site.

so i guess my ambivalence will remain because there are some people who i want in the foxhole with me and some i wish all the best, they will either get it or they wont. or as eldridge cleaver once said " you are either part of the solution or you are part of the problem"

there is also this attitude on this site that everything hinges on this particular information. it is good to remember that there are a lot of people out there who are saying many of the same things. the fate of the world is not resting here on PeakProsperity.com. it rests with each of us. in our communities

MarkP's picture
MarkP

Here, here.  Great point.

I send many people to this site. Also, I was the Residential Track Chair for the NESEA Building Energy Conference this year and my coleague Mark Rosenbaum mentioned Chris in his conference keynote speach in front of a few thousand people. I had many reinforcing conversations after that on the trade floor. I also noticed by the graphic indicator on the homepage that viewership seems to be mushrooming lately, great news of course, but, it highlights the concern that Chris' main content should be prominent, easy to find, and not diluted by too much tangential stuff.

I do tremendously enjoy the constellation of discussions here and find the calibre of contributors to be generally excellent.  But, let's be careful not to overwhelm the newbees!

My .02

Mark 

kemosavvy's picture
kemosavvy

at first reading of this thread i was finding myself trying to fault with your argument, "this is the way the site is, it's what i know, it's perfect" but by the end of the thread i wholeheartedly agreed. when i first showed up at the site i was also frequenting alot of other sites. this site by far was drawing a far more educated crowd and there was a "let's do something about this" atmosphere. other sites were far too "out there" in regards to the NWO and the rothschilds, although they may be vaild arguments they drive most people away from sites like this. so if we shield visitors from those forums we may get more visitors hanging around.

when i refer people to the site (which most don't even do) i think they get lost with where to go next, although it may seem obvious. the point is that the crash course chapter 1 is like three clicks away from the home page. it should be so obvious that visitors trip over it upon arrival.

Ruhh's picture
Ruhh

For those sending links to the site I suggest sending them the direct link to the actual Crash Course.

http://www.peakprosperity.com/crashcourse/

If they liked the course they can take another step and get onto the forums. Not much point following the forum of a topic you don't really know about is there?

Like any and every other forum out there the threads are bound to get off topic in addition to being dominated by regulars always adding in their voice (useful commentary or not) resulting in a lot of blah blah blah and endless debates over the same old things. So far this site hasn't been too bad but there are some threads I just couldn't be bothered with. There's just too much to keep up with.

cheers

r.

Reuben Bailey's picture
Reuben Bailey

Joe2baba,

I understand that Chris is not the only sourse for this information, I just like the way he presents it.  He has also said that he wants to reach as many as possible.  I do not feel that such a shift is structuring the site for newbies - it is making it more accessable and less confusing to those who are not familiar with the site.  As for the scariness of the real world and how far out the money system is, those who would be scared away by NWO may not know just how far out the system is, which is why I would be pointing them to the site in the first place.  Scaring them further will not make them want to see information, and frankly, we need as many people to "get it" as possible, even if they need to be spoon fed.

All the best,

Reuben

reistr's picture
reistr
Reuben Bailey wrote:

I feel that Chris Martenson is becoming a little lost in the shuffle on the main page of his website

To me this is a matter of keeping the focus for newcomers on the common material that I would guess attracted most of us to this site to begin with – the Crash Course and Chris Martenson's read on the latest data.

Excellent point and I completely agree.

I have at times stopped myself from referring people to this site because I felt the same way - I would have left the site without doing the Crash Course if I had first read some of the more "out-there" forum posts.

I don't think that a religious position is constructive - The goal is to reach as many people as possible, not to have a small insiders club.

Kemosavvy wrote:

the point is that the crash course chapter 1 is like three clicks away from the home page. it should be so obvious that visitors trip over it upon arrival

Great point. From a web user interface point of view the most important content should be the easiest to find (fewest mouse clicks), Ideally the crash course and Chris' updates would be front and center at the site.

The forums can be in a second page - For AFTER visitors have taken the crash course. The prime real state should be for newbies... IMHO.

cmartenson's picture
cmartenson

Great points all.

One of the (many) things that have been "keeping me away" is a complete redesign of the website look and feel.

I will be sharing the roughed out re-design with as many people as possible to gather as many inputs as I can to assure we have the best site possible.

I want you to know that I am working as hard as I can to advance things from my end.  There have been LOTS of phone calls, book deals discussed, meetings arranged, media ideas explored (reality shows, movies, etc), alignments proposed and considered and many other things....we are operating at warp speed here.

But I wish I had more time to spend "being present" here in terms of writing, etc.  I do read everything here, although even that is getting harder, because there is so much excellent content being posted by the most engaged and engaging group of intelligent people that I've had the honor to be around.

Ahhh...there are much worse problems in the world, so let me end in gratitude for the fact that I get to spend these most interesting times with you all.

Best,
Chris

joe2baba's picture
joe2baba

as  i said i am ambivalent . one reason being that if people have not gotten it by  now it is way too late to effect much change. i am not even sure what change could or would be useful at this point. there does not seem to be any consensus on this site for any really effective actions other than building community.

everyday brings more surreal news. politicians ignore their constituents and keep getting elected 

i would love to hear something concrete otherwise all we have here is a bunch of nice folks singing in the same choir to each other. making it more friendly for newbies does not seem to me all that effective.

i hope to be proven wrong until then ...................

kemosavvy's picture
kemosavvy

joe2baba, the one darkside of this website is the amount of grim information that comes flowing in on a daily basis. what doesn't get plastered all over this site is the fact that the members of this site and others are starting to organize.

i host a skype forum in which i have the opportunity to talk with people on this site on a weekly basis. it's probably the most enjoyable hour of my week. i hope you will join us this sunday night 9 PM EST, just download skype and send your contact info to stephen9134. anyone else reading this is invited as well.

the point i'm getting at is that after doing these forums for several weeks in a row i think we are all coming to the same conclusion "i get it, the economy is in a flat spin". no amount of understanding the complexities of a credit default swap are going to change that. we are beyond the point of voting the right guy into office. it's time to move on to learning about preparation for a post-dollar world.

IMHO, this is where the site is headed.

maveri's picture
maveri
kemosavvy wrote:

IMHO, this is where the site is headed.

I'm assuming you were talking in the positive?

Chris's latest Podcast gives some awesome information (along the lines of what he posted earlier) as to where he is taking this site. I'm not so much aswered yourself but for others reading this.

The issues the originator of this thread raised are to be addressed which is great as they were very valid points.

:-)

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments