Just in case the police get a little over active

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
krogoth's picture
krogoth
Just in case the police get a little over active

Just in case the police get a bit too active in the coming months or years during the economic crisis we face, here are some pretty revealing videos addressing your civil rights. Make sure you scroll down and watch all of them. I am not endorsing them or promoting buying any of them. As long as our civil rights don't change dramatically. The free videos here are just pretty cool.

http://www.ridelust.com/protect-your-rights-how-to-deal-with-the-police-if-you-get-pulled-over/

rlee's picture
rlee
Re: Just in case the police get a little over active

I've seen this before.  It's somewhat entertaining, but a bit unrealistic.  The people who made these videos are obviously not cops, nor are they attorneys.  If they do happen to fall into either of these groups, I would caution that they are not very good at their chosen profession.

With that said, I would suggest that the best way to avoid confrontations with police is to avoid doing stupid things!  Using the first video for example, speeding 20 MPH over the limit - in a residential neighborhood no less.  That's irresponsible.  I live on a road with a 30 MPH limit, I don't go 50 on it, and wouldn't want others doing so either since MY kids are riding bikes there!  The cop in this example - idiot!  The driver - cocky kid!  They deserve each other.  

I have some level of professional experience in this venue,  and I freely admit that I am ashamed at the way the general public is treated at times by the police (generally).  This country has about 5-10% of its population asking for police attention.  So why then do the police find it necessary to treat the other 90-95% like crap?  I personally believe that we are all in this thing together, and in my neighborhood at least, that's how it works - the community as a whole - police a part of that community - are what makes this a nice place for all of us to live and raise our kids.

"Can't we all just get along?" !

Bob 

Ray Hewitt's picture
Ray Hewitt

One of the signs I've noticed to how militarized cops have gotten is that they all have military crew cuts. In the post 9/11 era, they've gotten especially sensitive to signs of resistance.

I was pulled over a couple of months ago. Several things I always keep in mind. Don't do anything that would make them nervous. Don't make any moves that might alarm them. Don't look them in the eyes.

Try to be relaxed and make them comfortable. I was momentarily nervous until I realized that I was going to get screwed, so there was no sense fighting it. At that moment of nervousness, I dropped my drivers license under my seat. I told the cop what I had done and let him instruct me how to retrieve it. If I went down on my own, this guy might think I was going for a gun.

Turn on directionals to let him know you see him. Pull over to the right as far as you can in a spot that is reasonably safe. Turn on your inside lights if it is dark. Admit nothing; let him tell you why he pulled you over. Volunteer nothing. I hadn't thought about refusing to let a cop search my car, but that is a good one. There is less liklihood they wil ask to inspect your car if you are not nervous.

The interogation was thorough. Where are you going? Where did you come from? I had grocery bags in the back seat. Where is the grocery store located?

The best you are going to do is prevent a bad situation from getting worse. I've lost all respect for cops, but there is no point in letting it show for those brief moments they take over your life.

mainecooncat's picture
mainecooncat

I'm so glad you've brought up the militarization of the police, hewittr.

Whenever I bring up this subject I'm usually accused of being paranoid or having something to hide.

Good point about the haircuts. It's hilarious. What gets me the most is the uniforms. It's standard fare now to have mid-calf black leather boots capped off by multi-pocketed, almost baggy black pants, trimmed with gun, taser of some kind, and other assorted, crowd-control goodies. Oh yeah, huge attitudes. Instead of "to protect and serve" how about "to harass and instigate."

This whole aesthetic simply screams stormtrooper or fascist, even to those less inclined to rhetorical embellishment.

krogoth's picture
krogoth

I knew I would get you with that one! LOL

I know it's BS, but its funny that they instruct people how to act around the police. I was going to also include a few TASER videos just for balance, lol.

krogoth's picture
krogoth
OK this does not include all police

Hey all,

Most police officers are fine and fair people, but some can mess up, as humans do and we all do. I AM concerned that possibly in the near future, the powers of the police my be expanded quite a bit to control certain events that may happen, and it's important to know your civil rights. I have nothing against the police, and some of my best friends are in law enforcement of some capacity, but it's also good to study and know your rights as well.

In certain circumstances it is best, depending on the police officer and situation to cooperate fully while trying not to incriminating yourself whatsoever, which you can do acdentally without even knowing it.

The thing to remember is that if you didn't do anything wrong, than you should really not be worried about anything, but that does not necessarily mean you will be treated respectifully or fairly.

The usual thing you will lose is your time going through the motions with a typical traffic stop. If you think you are paranoid just getting pulled over, try getting pulled over with a legal gun secured in the car. Once you declare it, just sit back and relax because a couple of hours of your life is about to be lost until the police feel they are done with you.

If you have had strange experiences, or a situation recently that made you feel uncomfortable with the police, please comment on it here.

rlee's picture
rlee

FYI:  Ain't nothin' better than a Taser!

It is, without ANY compare, the most painful thing I have ever endured.  If you're ever offered the opportunity to feel it for yourself - DON'T! 

Ray Hewitt's picture
Ray Hewitt

Most police officers are fine and fair people, but some can mess up, as humans do and we all do.

I see a personality transformation when they put on that uniform. My personal experiences are confined to the road. The towns they work for are revenue hungry. There may be no written quotas, but they have to produce more than enough to pay their salaries. On my last experience mentioned above, I was clocked doing 75 in a 65 zone on an open road. This cop wasn't interested in safety, he was looking for revenue. They're today's highwaymen.

There are horror stories aplenty if you look for them. Waco and Ruby Ridge are two of the most famous. Though the law prevents the military from engaging the public, they gotten around that by organizing SWAT teams. All they need is a tip from an informer who may be lying, to break into homes unnounced. Startled homeowners have been know to brandish guns, only to be shot. There was a celebrated case in Texas where the homeowner killed a cop in the darkness of his bedroom; he went to jail for life. You see some of those break-ins in the TV show Cops. It gives me the wllies as it probably does many others. When police find drugs in a car, it is not uncommon for them to seize the car and sell it on auction. I remember one case where the mother of the boy who was caught lost her car even though she had no knowledge of what her son was doing. In New Orleans after Katrina, police from all over the country swarmed there like locusts. They seized any gun they saw irregardless if they were licensed.

I AM concerned that possibly in the near future, the powers of the police my be expanded quite a bit to control certain events that may happen, and it's important to know your civil rights.

It's coming and your civil rights don't mean squat. Bush signed an executive order giving the president the authority to declare martial law  under any emergency. Martial law implies a military takeover. The Iraqi occupation was good training for a military occupation here. Tthe Patriot Act and the Military Commissions Act override the Constitution. Pray we never have another 9/11.

Am I being paranoic? I don't think so. It's unfortunate that I live in a nation of sheep that don't know what a wolf looks like. The miltarization of our police sends an ominous signal. They are prepared for the day when some future president gives the word. It could be the next president.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments