Japan earthquake/tsunami

61 posts / 0 new
Last post
Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Japan earthquake/tsunami

Currently watching a flood of seawater wipe out residential areas. If you are near the coast in the Pacific Rim, please find high ground immediately!

Hope all of our Japan-based CM.com readers are safe or on their way to safety. Please check in with us to let us know you're OK, as well as what we can do to help those affected by this tragedy.

nickbert's picture
nickbert
Tsunami warning for Hawaii, tsunami watch for AK and West Coast

Wow, I just saw that in the news (that'll teach me to check the news before going to bed).  Sounds like the direct injuries and casualties are low so far, but there are millions of homes and buildings without power.  Who knows what else will develop as a result. 

Latest I heard there is a tsunami warning for Hawaii and some other Pacific Rim countries, and a tsunami watch in effect for parts of Alaska and the West Coast.  At least the distance and travel time of the wave is going to be considerable, giving most areas ample time to prepare for any remnant waves that finally come ashore.  In the US it sounds like Hawaii might get the worst of it.  Everyone there, please take care! 

- Nickbert

JAG's picture
JAG
Videos

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
thatchmo's picture
thatchmo
all clear on kauai this

all clear on kauai this morning.  aloha, steve.

nickbert's picture
nickbert
Aleutian chain

A coworker on the island of Shemya in the Aleutians said they supposedly received a five-foot wave.  Nothing too severe.

- Nickbert

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M
No Subject

Another evolving case study in SHTF.
Thoughts and prayers going out to the victims, but let's learn all we can. 

jneo's picture
jneo
  Closer to 2012 more

Closer to 2012 more SWHTF.  A). Pole shift, B) Natural disasters, C) Economic Crisis, D) War, ahhhhmmm E.  All of the Above

Answer:  E  

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M
Substantiate?

Jneo,

Can you substantiate that?

Especially the pole shift.
Interested in seeing evidence or trends indicating this is true/probable.

Cheers,

Aaron 

VeganDB12's picture
VeganDB12
pole shift is normal

pole shift is normal apparently...

http://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/lookingatearth/29dec_magneticfield.html

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M
No Subject

How is it correlated with 2012?

Am I being presumptious, or does "polar shift" in this case (as presented by Jneo in the light of 2012) mean a re-positioning of the poles of greater than 90* or more?

Cheers,

Aaron

goes211's picture
goes211
Increase in GDP?

Larry Summers thinks this could actually increase Japans GDP? 

Friday’s massive earthquake, an 8.9-magnitude temblor that shook buildings across Tokyo, triggering 10-meter high tsunami waves, is yet another challenge to the country’s recovery but it may provide a jolt to the economy over the short term, Larry Summers, president emeritus of Harvard University and former director of the White House National Economic Council, told CNBC.

[via CNBC]: “If you look, this is clearly going to add complexity to Japan’s challenge of economic recovery,” Summers said. “It may lead to some temporary increments, ironically, to GDP, as a process of rebuilding takes place.”

After the Kobe earthquake in 1995  (which killed more than 6,000 people and left 300,000 homeless ) Japan actually gained some economic strength due to the process of reconstruction, he added.

The global economy is more resilient than many people think and is not likely to be massively affected, Summers said.

I thought Bastiat disproved this line of thought over 150 years ago with his broken window fallacy.  Even if this is somehow true in our fiat currency manipulated world, doesn't this just show how morally bankrupt our growth oriented economy has become?

jneo's picture
jneo
  Pretty sure many people

Pretty sure many people have herd either on tv shows, radio broadcasts and so on about pole shifts and 2012.  It's just another issue to put into the basket of possible outcomes that's all.  You have the internet Aaron pretty sure you know how to surf.  Here you go for your entertainment. 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwXG755yIrE

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix
What the recent disasters in

What the recent disasters in Australia, NZ, and now Japan tell me is that complexity is very fragile.....  If you build complex habitats in the way of floods, hurricanes and earthquakes, the resulting destruction is also complex.  And very expensive to rebuild.

With Peak Oil's impact only a short time away, I can't even see how Christchurch will be rebuilt, at least to what it was in its former glory.  Where will the money come from if we don't have the energy to grow the economy, let alone physically do the stuff that needs doing....  All "the stuff" now destroyed was built one brick at a time as and when it was needed, and in times of cheap and abundant energy.  Now, it all needs replacing all at once in times of debt crisis and expensive and low nett energy fossil fuels.

Can't see it myself.  I find it hard to not believe the collapse has begun....

Mike

Jager06's picture
Jager06
Pole Shift...

Not to get off the subject, but it might be worthwhile to start another thread for discussion.

I have a friend here locally who took an early retirement from his job with a large budget government agency after getting three months into his assigned research into solar flare/ sunspot issues that may be forthcoming. He reitred several years ago and I only met him and gained his confidence in the last 2 years.

Please forgive my ignorance of the specifics, we have only talked about this twice, each time over quite a few adult beverages.

Basicly, as I think I understood him, sunspot activity will increase in this solar cycle to the point where the sun's magnetic interference on the earth will cause a massive and sudden shift of the earth's crust, while deeper down the Earth's core will actually flip 180 degrees.

There is evidence of similar events happening suddenly in magnetic structure in polar oriented magnetic formations in layers of rock approximately every 13,000 and 26,000 year sequence.

Crustal movement may exceed 20 degrees of shift. Imagine a tennis ball on a trailer hitch, and the hitch being spun so suddenly and violently that the tennis ball around it slips a little, yet the underlying trailer hitch actually spins 180 degrees out from where it was previously aligned on the inside of the tennis ball. No think of the tennis ball as the Earth's crustal plates.

In the span of an hour the following events are likely to occur: Every tectonic plate will generate 10+ richter scale earthquakes, every volcano on the face of the earth will erupt/ and or new weakened points of crust will form new mountain ranges and volcanoes, the oceans will be sloshed out of their beds (tsunami wave height of a minimum 7,000 ft high).

Moving forward from there he guesses: The EMP projection from the sun will have destroyed all electronic devices, while the ash, smoke and dust could block direct sunlight for approximately 10 years. The content of the air could be changed due to eruptions and volcanic gas releases, perhaps rendering it toxic or oxygen deficient. Very few places on earth would be high enough and/ or far enough inland to avoid the global tsunami.

After reviewing his data for inconsistency and errors, he said he converted to Christianity, abandoned the project and retired, determined to live out the remainder of time left in good health as close to his family as possible. He does not believe the event will happen later than 2015.

He admits hoping he is wrong and that he was not the only one working on the project. Several other similar projects were being conducted simultaneously and he does not have direct knowledge of their conclusions. He does point to construction of massive seed vaults and other facilities constructed and filled since then as evidence that the project was concluded and sufficient risk was assessed to warrant such expenditures by multiple government and internationally cooperative non government agencies.

More stuff to think about....

Jager06

NZSailor's picture
NZSailor
Rebuilding after a quake....

As DTM touched on, given the level of personal, municipal and governmental debt we are all so much more incapable of being able to respond or recover from disaster.  I read a quote in the paper this morning that 90% of New Zealanders have less than three days of food or water in their homes... this despite a television and radio campaign talking about having a disaster plan and kit in place.  Maybe these events will at least make people think about it a bit more.

In the larger sense, the New Zealand government is re-evaluating its national infrastructure spending in order to put more money into Christchurch.  They are talking about cancelling a huge new motorway (interstate) extension north of Auckland towards where we live.  The motorway never made sense from an economic standpoint and I am glad to see it being shelved.  They discussed a 2024 start date now for the new motorway... lets see what the level of governmental infrastructure spending and fuel availability is thenFoot in mouth.  In other New Zealand news they are also wanting to spend money to pull up the tracks of the only railroad line north of Auckland as the line is currently un-economic... luckily local groups are pushing for them to at least leave it place for the time being. 

Has anybody heard from Gaurdia on the site in the last 24 hours?  He's from Montreal but living in Japan.  Hope hes OK!

Cheers,  Chip

Poet's picture
Poet
Cataclysmic Pole Shift
Jager06 wrote:

More stuff to think about....

Jager06

Jager06

We're actually overdue for a reversal of the magnetic poles, and are currently in a "rapid" phase of shift. The magnetic north pole is shifting about 40 km per year and accelerating.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagnetic_reversal

However, I don't think the geological effects that drastic. The data doesn't show ash layers evident of massive volcanic eruptions whenever the magnetic poles shift. Going back over the last 200 million years, it doesn't appear to be so. It tends to be very, very gradual. Human beings and animals have survived these shifts.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cataclysmic_pole_shift_hypothesis

That said, it's interesting for someone to look at geological evidence over the course of tens of thousands of years and then undergo a conversion to a religion that has numerous adherents clinging to a Young Earth theory.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_earth

But yeah, it's very possible that our magnetic field may become much weaker, leaving our satellites and telecom infrastructure even more exposed and vulnerable to sunspot activity.

But if it's true we'll have major tectonic activity and volcanoes, I'd suggest staying away from Yellowstone National Park. The entire park is a super-caldera.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowstone_Caldera

It does make me wonder... What IS the most geologically stable place in the continental United States? Or in the world...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthquake

Poet

SteveW's picture
SteveW
Money is a mental construct
Damnthematrix wrote:

With Peak Oil's impact only a short time away, I can't even see how Christchurch will be rebuilt, at least to what it was in its former glory.  Where will the money come from if we don't have the energy to grow the economy, let alone physically do the stuff that needs doing....  All "the stuff" now destroyed was built one brick at a time as and when it was needed, and in times of cheap and abundant energy.  Now, it all needs replacing all at once in times of debt crisis and expensive and low nett energy fossil fuels.

Mike, we need to discard that 19th-20th century paradigm. Money doesn't come from energy, growth or anywhere else its purely a figment of our imagination, although quite powerful. We have an economic crisis right now and real people are unemployed and suffering due to peak debt. But those people would be willing to lay bricks for bread whereas the invention of money merely let the moneychangers gain control of the world as a parasitic class. We now have peak parasitism.

ao's picture
ao
major geological changes in days
Poet wrote:

That said, it's interesting for someone to look at geological evidence over the course of tens of thousands of years and then undergo a conversion to a religion that has numerous adherents clinging to a Young Earth theory.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_earth

I don't claim to know enough about geology to absolutely agree or disagree with either an old earth or a new earth creationist philosophy.  I try to stay open minded about such things.  I do know that geological changes normally associated with the passage of many thousands or even millions of years (including canyon formation, sedimentary layers hundreds of feet deep, fossil deposition, etc.) were observed to have occurred in just hours and days at Mount St. Helens.  

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/2010/05/18/thirtieth-anniversary-of-geologic-catastrophe

Ditto for petrified wood formation under other similar circumstances.

http://www.icr.org/article/rapid-petrification-wood-unexpected-confirmation-c/

There are many other examples. 

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M
Jager, What agency? Any

Jager,

What agency? Any links?

Might not have much time to read em right away, but still interested in seeing if there is any credible scientific evidence.

Cheers,

Aaron

mtforge's picture
mtforge
major geological changes in days
ao wrote:

I don't claim to know enough about geology to absolutely agree or disagree with either an old earth or a new earth creationist philosophy.  I try to stay open minded about such things.  I do know that geological changes normally associated with the passage of many thousands or even millions of years (including canyon formation, sedimentary layers hundreds of feet deep, fossil deposition, etc.) were observed to have occurred in just hours and days at Mount St. Helens.  

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/2010/05/18/thirtieth-anniversary-of-geologic-catastrophe

Ditto for petrified wood formation under other similar circumstances.

http://www.icr.org/article/rapid-petrification-wood-unexpected-confirmation-c/

There are many other examples. 

I agree, I like observable science rather than trying to guess.

Jager06's picture
Jager06
No links...

Except for this one...to an offbeat interview with Patrick Geryl. A strange fellow whose ramblings and musings line up with what my friend said. Interestingly his information is similar to what other non-standardized investigators have found pertaining to the human/ Earth record, such as Graham Hancock.

It is unfortunate that we have tied ourselves so tightly to our modern theories as to make it nearly impossible to openly question them.

Also, I talked to friend briefly, he said the solar wave will be a magnetically "southern" orientation (?) and due to the earth's axis tilt with the south pole towards the sun, it will cause a violent south on south magnetic shove which is the impetus for the shift.

Oh, he was a Dept of Energy guy, I think.

Now this guy in the video interview scares the crap out of me even more than my friend does, since this guy relishes his ideas and previous correct theories so much.

And a substandard but interesting interview with Graham Hancock. His work on lost civilizations is more relevant to the massive disaster and socio technological reset theme, but he is compelling in his convictions nonetheless.

More craziness on demand....Just ask!

Jager06

guardia's picture
guardia
Adam wrote: Currently
Adam wrote:

Currently watching a flood of seawater wipe out residential areas. If you are near the coast in the Pacific Rim, please find high ground immediately!

Hope all of our Japan-based CM.com readers are safe or on their way to safety. Please check in with us to let us know you're OK, as well as what we can do to help those affected by this tragedy.

I’m here! I'm here! I'm OK! Thanks for your concern Smile

Actually, Tokyo isn't close to what you may be seeing on TV. The damage here is pretty minimal...

Stiil, I'm keeping a watch on that nuclear power plant though...

BTW, according to some Japanese geologist I forget who on TV, after New Zealand and Japan, somewhere close to Los Angeles may be hit next. If you live around there, now may be a good time to take that long vacation you always wanted to take, and park you valuables somewhere else!

Samuel

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
reactor meltdown?

WAKI, Japan – An explosion at a nuclear power station Saturday destroyed a building housing the reactor amid fears that it was close to a disastrous meltdown after being hit by a powerful earthquake and tsunami.

Friday's double disaster, which pulverized Japan's northeastern coast, has left 574 people dead by official count, although local media reports said at least 1,300 people may have been killed.

Tokyo Power Electric Co., the utility that runs the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant, said four workers had suffered fractures and bruises and were being treated at a hospital. A nuclear expert said a meltdown may not pose widespread danger.

Jager06's picture
Jager06
Meltdown...

Double check your global wind paterns to make sure none of the radiation makes it to your location. It looks to me like a major problem would result in radiation potentially moving south toward Indonesia and then west as it settles into the equatorial wind channels. But I am no expert. I just looked at some wind pattern maps this morning.

I pray for the poor folks enduring in Japan right now.

Jager06

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Jager - You can rest a

Jager -

You can rest a little easier.  The reactor was shut down so it is no longer generating enough of a neutron population to sustain criticality and produce fission byproducts.  The amount of radioactivity being released in the steam venting will rapidly disperse and be diluted by the wind.  Clearly, the people immediately downwind and in close proximity - within 5 miles or so - would be wise to leave the area.  But if they can't for some reason, they should take KI tablets, stay inside and turn off their ventilation.  Remember, these gaseous fission products are no longer being produced by a critical reactor so we aren't looking at continuous venting of radioactive gases.  What is being released is generated by decay heat and is at a fraction of the levels you get from normal sustained critical operation.  As long as the core and the containment dome maintains its structural integrity the levels released will be relatively low. 

Take everything you hear on the news with a chunk of salt.  They are not experts and all they are doing is reading copy.  Some knucklehead on one of the late night cable news feeds last night kept postulating a "Chernobyl event" and the expert he was interviewing kept trying to bring him baack into the box to no avail.  This will not be a Chernobyl-like event.  Chernobyl was a graphite moderated reactor.  Graphite burns and is precisely why graphite moderated reactors are not used in the US. 

The Fukushima Daiichi reactor is a PWR - pressurized water reactor - and water doesn't burn.  A Chernobyl event cannot happen.

I'll post more observations as more info becomes available.  Feel free to hit me with a PM if you want to take it offline.

Poet's picture
Poet
No Containment Building At Chernobyl
Dogs_In_A_Pile wrote:

Take everything you hear on the news with a chunk of salt.  They are not experts and all they are doing is reading copy.  Some knucklehead on one of the late night cable news feeds last night kept postulating a "Chernobyl event" and the expert he was interviewing kept trying to bring him baack into the box to no avail.  This will not be a Chernobyl-like event.  Chernobyl was a graphite moderated reactor.  Graphite burns and is precisely why graphite moderated reactors are not used in the US. 

The Fukushima Daiichi reactor is a PWR - pressurized water reactor - and water doesn't burn.  A Chernobyl event cannot happen.

I understand Chernobyl also didn't have a containment building.

Wikipedia has continuing updates:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukushima_I_Nuclear_Power_Plant

Poet

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor
Japan

Dogs,

CNN did have a Ph.D. nuclear physicist on who was not happy with the situation. This AM 1240 EST CNN reports they have expanded the evacuationarea to 20 kilometers and are evacuating 80k people and passing out our famous KI pills (good luck). They are flooding the worst plant with sea water, apparently a desperation measure.

CS

Jager06's picture
Jager06
You da Man!

Dogs-

Since you have had on several occasions lasting more than six months at a time contolled, maintained, and lived off of your own personal nuclear reactor, I am grateful for the insight. And I will stay with people I know that know....subject matter experts like yourself.

Now on a slightly different note. I have to apologize a little. I have been on a binge of information consumption. Huge amounts of data, a lot of it not quantifiable. However in one of my forays into the underbelly of the internet this morning, I came across some very compelling information. Strangely the boundaries between astro physics and spirituality seem to have been crossed with the reporting individual, but the information is corroborated independantly by Michio Kaku.

This is very much related to the Japanese earthquake and tsunami. I was floored to note the posting date of March 8th, fully three days prior to the earthquake.

So, once again risking my minicule credibility I would like to submit the following video for everyone to digest. I will say that for my purposes right now, the cause and effect may be confused by the author. I would also like to say that the first 2 minutes is what I think is important. What follows is rather esoteric and not likely to be relevant in most logical western minds.

If anyone knows what program she is using to plot the solar system there, could I get a link, please?

I am eagerly awaiting your comments.

Jager06

dougfunston's picture
dougfunston
Nuclear Reactor Event

Looks like a design flaw in that a common mode failure took out both main and backup cooling system.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
100% Agreement
capesurvivor wrote:

Dogs,

CNN did have a Ph.D. nuclear physicist on who was not happy with the situation. This AM 1240 EST CNN reports they have expanded the evacuationarea to 20 kilometers and are evacuating 80k people and passing out our famous KI pills (good luck). They are flooding the worst plant with sea water, apparently a desperation measure.

CS

CS -

I may have missed the interview you are referring to, but if that was the gentleman from the Heritage Foundation then I am in 100% agreement with him.  Potassium tetraborate and seawater injection is almost a last resort step.  I wouldn't quite call it desperation since it is a planned for procedure, but only after primary, secondary AND tertiary measure have either failed or don't/won't work.  Seawater injection is down to the last step, there just aren't many options left.

In the time it took me to type this, there has likely been a change in the situation.

I'll follow as best I can.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments