it's the little things

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
it's the little things

Lessons from Hurricane Irene.

We had a camp stove, and lots of fuel, but it hadn't been used in years, no problem right? I mean, what could go wrong with a camp stove, right? Uh huh.

We had kerosene lamps and lots of lamp oil, no problemo, Kimosabe? Uh huh.

We had batteries, for flashlights, had just bought 'em, didn't really matter that much. Now, the S[chumer] as they say, hit the fan, literally, and civilization all went poof about 6 a.m. on Saturday morning amidst all the snap crackle pop of trees and power lines coming down all around us. But never fear; Prep Man is here!  So I went out to crank up the genny in a driving hurricane. That's when the fun began.

Good article. Read the rest here: http://www.survivalblog.com/2011/09/the_little_things_by_dml.html

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Do and Do Not
safewrite wrote:

Lessons from Hurricane Irene.

We had a camp stove, and lots of fuel, but it hadn't been used in years, no problem right? I mean, what could go wrong with a camp stove, right? Uh huh.

We had kerosene lamps and lots of lamp oil, no problemo, Kimosabe? Uh huh.

We had batteries, for flashlights, had just bought 'em, didn't really matter that much. Now, the S[chumer] as they say, hit the fan, literally, and civilization all went poof about 6 a.m. on Saturday morning amidst all the snap crackle pop of trees and power lines coming down all around us. But never fear; Prep Man is here!  So I went out to crank up the genny in a driving hurricane. That's when the fun began.

Good article. Read the rest here: http://www.survivalblog.com/2011/09/the_little_things_by_dml.html

safe -

Nice find.  I found myself chuckling at most of the article.  While it's probably a collection of anecdotal events, it was a pretty good laundry list of both what "To Do" and what "Not To Do" 

East Cackalacky huh?  That's not too far from where we are in SE Virginia.  I'm pretty sure I know the author.  Or someone just like him....

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
you might know him?

Oh golly, Dogs, you mean that wasn't you? *wink*

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Aww c'mon Safe!!!

You should know by now that could not possibly be me.  My generator is nuclear powered - not gasoline!! 

RNcarl's picture
RNcarl
I promise it wasn't me!

The primary purpose of this article, is to impress on your readers the necessity of families pulling together in common purpose and singular mindset, cooperation and harmony, the maintenance of preps, and lists. Do you have the little things to repair the big things? The little thing to open the big things you need to eat out of? Do you have the discipline to write down the little things you need, when you need them, or think about them? Do you have a list hanging somewhere handy, like on a refrigerator magnet? Do you have a hurricane check list? Do you have a standard prep list of 'top off's, when, if, you hear that dollar crashing sound because China and the rest of the world has decided, enough madness, and to dump us into the 18th Century? Do you eat your preps, as they come due or before, and replace at least one can at a time? Do you buy the things you like, so it will be easy? Sure, buying a lot of peanut butter, rice and beans will keep you alive, but you won't be living. You will survive bodily, but will your marriage survive? Will your relationships suffer if family members are pulling in different directions? Have you learned to shut up yet? Have you learned who to cut loose and who to bring in? Have you got your group together? Have you paid attention to the Little Things?...

..."You mean you can't just pick up a gun and shoot it?" "Nope, without training you might shoot yourself or your daughter." "By the way, what happened to your arm?" says Sister in Law, "The little things, its always the little things that get you". - D.M.L. in the boonies of Eastern North Carolina

Nope,

Wasn't me either. At the last minute, we fled to Raleigh. Yes friends, I even decieved the prepared here at CM.com I think I said we rode it out.

C.

homestead's picture
homestead
foods on hand

Do you eat your preps, as they come due or before, and replace at least one can at a time?  Do you buy the things you like, so it will be easy? 

It never hurts to have at least a month of regular food around that you rotate and re-supply on a routine basis even if you're the kind of prepper who likes to go with the long-term storage buckets.  We all like variety and we all like familiar, comforting foods in times of stress.  Some emergencies might only last a few days or a couple of weeks and it's always good to keep the family complainers (not that any of us would have those in the house) happy with a few goodies.  

Myself, I've never been able to go with the buckets idea except for some staples like flour and rice.  We like to keep canned goods, home canned meats and boxes of things like macaroni or noodles that last a year or two, and we keep them rotated.  It's a pain to keep track of it all but over the years I've come up with my own system to make it easier.  Everybody has to figure out what works best for them.  But it's still not a bad idea to have a dependable stash of decent tasting, easy-to-fix canned things from the grocery store to put on the table when need be.  And some bags of chocolate chips.  Always gotta have a few bags of those around, for the kids of course.  If you nibble on them regularly they seem to rotate pretty fast.  Just add a bag to your grocery list every week (smile).

Best wishes, Gma

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments