Is It Too Late?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
soulsurfersteph's picture
soulsurfersteph
Is It Too Late?

I hear a lot of people saying here "it's too late" already. What do you mean by "it's too late?" Too late for what? What do you think will happen? What's your time frame? What should people do if it is already "too late"?

Or is it never "too late"? 

Inquiring minds... :-)

Tycer's picture
Tycer
Re: Is It Too Late?

It's too late for me to return that can of white paint.

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr

Love it, Tycer!!  Too funny!

soulsurferttef, I take it they mean, "Too late to prepare".

While I do appreciate (and share) their feeling of urgency, no one knows the exact timing in which things will continue to unfold. That is why Chris is even so careful about how he predicts the timeframe; notice how he says "the next 20 years will be very different", not "next year". (That's not to say next year or next month isn't a possibility, but trying to predict timing is a very tricky business!).  I was afraid I was "too late" to prepare 2 years ago, and then again 1 year ago, and then again 1 month ago.  But so far, by pushing forward regardless,  I am that much closer to being prepared than I was 1 month, 1 year and 2 years ago!

It isn't "perfect preparation" vs "no preparation".  Choose your top priority goals for "adequate preparation", and get working on them right away.  Then cross your fingers that you continue to have time to improve from there!

deggleton's picture
deggleton

It is not too late to add another local working relationship.  It is not too late to learn about working relationships of all kinds.

It is too late to pretend that local working relationships are not wealth.

TNdancer's picture
TNdancer

Tycer,

Reminds me of the time I was putting some replacement windows in for a lady.....had a kid about that age that had been right on my heels all day....nearly hit him a couple of times when I'd turn with a window and he would be right under me.  So, I caulk the inside and caution the lady not to mess with the caulk ( silicone ) for a coulple hours until it has time to set.   I look in a window from outside in a while, and the kid is bouncing on a bed under a window, fingers in the caulk and smearing it all over the inside glass.   I didn't say a word, but I'd hate to have known how many razor blades it took to get all that caulk off the glass later.

On too late.....it will be like peak oil....you won't know until after, looking backward, when the date was.

Romans12.2's picture
Romans12.2

When I first watched the CC (last July) I remember heart pounding panic. I looked in on my sleeping kids and prayed we were not too late. I turned to this and other sites for prep guidance, some people spoke of too late and that was scary. I admit we did A LOT fast. I feel more calm now with at least basic preps in place. I still feel pressured to get bigger things done like more solar, and a hand pump to work with our electric well. But every little thing you do makes u feel better

Diogenknees's picture
Diogenknees
Romans12.2 wrote:

When I first watched the CC (last July) I remember heart pounding panic. I looked in on my sleeping kids and prayed we were not too late. I turned to this and other sites for prep guidance, some people spoke of too late and that was scary. I admit we did A LOT fast. I feel more calm now with at least basic preps in place. I still feel pressured to get bigger things done like more solar, and a hand pump to work with our electric well. But every little thing you do makes u feel better

The way I've looked at it since 1971 is " It's never too early". All the things one should do in their life to prepare for bad times will benefit you right now if implemented. For example, installing a self built solar water heater and solar thermal pay immediate benefits. The money you save means less money going out the door that can be used to pay down a mortgage, install a rainwater storage system, chuck some solar PV on the roof, buy tools you'll need to repair what you have, books etc.... It's never too late, but the sooner you start the more independent you will be tomorrow.

TNdancer's picture
TNdancer
Diogenknees wrote:

... the sooner you start the more independent you will be tomorrow.

Amen Sir.

Travlin's picture
Travlin
soulsurfersteph wrote:

I hear a lot of people saying here "it's too late" already. What do you mean by "it's too late?" Too late for what? ,,,

Or is it never "too late"? 

To me this means it is too late to change the present system to preserve the easy life we have had.  The flaws are too deep and have been allowed to go on too long.  Big changes will be forced upon us.  They have already started, but the pace and severity are unknowable. 

It is not too late to start taking steps to improve your ability to cope with whatever comes, but the sooner you start the better.  Otherwise you run the real danger of being overwhelmed by events, as a lot of people will.  Then it is too late, and it could get very ugly indeed.

Zapata's picture
Zapata

It's 12:44

LaneTharp's picture
LaneTharp

I have found a reference to fear about the future being out of our control, but certainty about the present being within our control a useful talking point to bring others out of discussion of disaster scenarios and change the subject to hope and optimism. providing a smile with the comment always seems to help to. 

It is too late is equivalent to giving up. We cannot predict the future. Only assess the information we have today. We can envision a life without oil dependency though. And, we can begin to make that come true in some way right now. My hope is that you search for the right words and can bring comfort to those in fear and giving up. So that they can become working relationships in your mutual future. 

Good luck.

Travlin's picture
Travlin

LaneTharp

Welcome to the site and thanks for the insights. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments