Investing In Daily Living Essential Items for Bartering Should We Completely Meltdown.

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
Investing In Daily Living Essential Items for Bartering Should We Completely Meltdown.

Folks. I have been buying both gold and silver coins as well as holding some federal reserve notes and Canadian dollars.

But when I can't find gold/silver coins locally at a decent margin above spot I have been buying in very large quantities items that I can trade later. Such as. 

Ammunition in all popular calibers. I have heard repeatedly that this is a fantastic investment. I hold .30-30, .270, .30-06, 45 ACP, 9 mm, .22 LR, .40, .38, and .357 mag. 

Flour

Soap

Rice

Beer supplies (can brew a ton of it now) 

Liquor

Pasta

Yeast

Vegatable seeds

Sugar

Dried beans

ect...

You get the picture. I do rotate, and buy large amounts and store them in an environmentally controlled storage unit. Questions. Your thoughts on this strategy? and, What items might I want to buy for trading/bartering later if TSHTF? 

Thanks.

Lemonyellowschwin's picture
Lemonyellowschwin
Re: Investing In Daily Living Essential Items for Bartering ...

What is an environmentally controlled storage unit?

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor

MG,

Those all sound pretty good (I'm trying for the Uranium, LOL, spending the night here). Someone posted a website of the 100 most vital things after a collapse; you can probably Google it. I'll bet some stuff there would be good. OTC medical stuff like hydrogen peroxide, triple antibiotic salve in a tube, aspirin/ibuprofen/acetaminophen. God, the list of stuff to store is endless.

They say .22 ammo would be good to barter but i don't think i want to be swapping ammo with anyone unless he's a relative!

Do you own a warehouse!?

SG

SPM's picture
SPM

I like your strategy, although my family believes I am crazy now for starting to stockpile. In my own view it is smarter to be prepared for the worst and not need it, than have the worst happen and not be prepared.

I do not own any guns, although I have been seriously considering a 30-06 rifle, hopefully more for hunting than protection. I also bought a fishing pole and supplies.

I have been stockpiling: canned food, water, seeds, rope and string, tools, solar panels, silver coins, and propane. I have RO water filters and replacement filter elements, a couple large first aid kits. Most of this stuff I will use eventually anyways, whether the "worst" happens or not.

Cigarrettes, beer and coffee might also be good items, definately good for bartering. Does anyone know who sells cases of those little mini alcohol bottles, like the ones they give you on a planes? Cosco? Cases of those would be perfect. I think the Gov is going to start taxing cigs and alcohol pretty heavy here in the near future.

I'm ready to stake a piece of land and build a everything I need, figuring out how to get all my stuff there will be the trick. I live in L.A., CA, so if things go down, it will be bad here.

SPM's picture
SPM

Enviromentally controlled storage unit, is a storage unit that is temperature and humidity controlled to within your set parameters.

Some places like U-Store, and similar companies offer these storage units. Just make sure if TSHTF you will still have access to your storage unit.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments