Introductions

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pops's picture
Pops
Introductions

I didn't see a spot to introduce myself, Hi I'm Pops...

I read the Sci Am article back in '98 and looked around and fell in with Frugals and TB2k for a time for lack of a real peaker hangout - no peakers there! But they were preppers and I've always been that - even if I'm lefter than yer average bear. :D Then along came 9/11 which started me digging again, that time I came up with Wolf at the Door, LATOC, DieOff.org/Olduvai – "Ah Ha!" says me. 

PeakOil.com went online late in '03 and I signed up there as the first mod/admin. I put in a lot of time and effort helping to get po.com rolling and it was great, I think I have 9,000 posts over there - go easy on me, that's only 3 1/2 post per day! Unfortunately, po.com, like TOD and LATOC had it's personality crisis a couple years back with many of the true doomers peeling off and regrouping at Malthusia.com. Since then it's become more or less off topic, really bogged down with a couple dozen regulars fighting the same political/depletion/AGW battles over and over, it gets tiring. I started the "Planning For The Future" forum over there 6 years ago and it was also really great in it's day, with lots of info, ideas and discussion... but it's mostly dead now. I don't know if the moderation was too lax/heavy or peakers have generally moved into a different phase or maybe there is just lots more fragmentation now.

In the real world my wife and I (we're in our 50s) cashed out of the Central Valley CA in '04 because the top was obviously in - at the time I saw "bubbles, bubbles everywhere", Anyway, it seemed obvious to me anyway that CA was on the way down and that proved true, RE in the county where we lived is down 75% and the UI1 unemployment is 18%. After a search that took in most of the central part of the US we bought a 40 acre farm on the Ozark plateau outright. I do graphic design via the net for a little cash and also raise dairy bull calves from the bottle to stocker size, we do a little bit of market/greenhouse growing and some little bit of odd jobs. We mostly spend whatever money and time we have left  restoring our 100 year old farmhouse and rigging it for the future. We have 2 surviving children, son & family in the USAF stationed at Tinker, Daughter/SIL/family in the Army at Ft. Sill (soon to be Ft. Gordon) - and 6 - count 'em... 6, grandkids! Hence the name of our place and my blog/site - My Grandkids Farm.

As far as labels go, I score as a Leftist Libertarian, anti-corporatist, Gun Toten (but not Bible Thumpin'), Ecologically-Pragmatic (not an tree-sitter but as chem-free as practical), Techno-Loving-Luddite (I use tech-but don't expect it to last). I think we've hit peak conventional oil (C+C) and am guessing we'll hit peak liquids in the '12-'15 area (I'm sticking with the same guess as in '04). I have a list of 5 Rules that I use when planning for the future and they probably describe me best. On the scale of doom I'm optimistic humanity will survive in the long run, I believe we, personally, can make it through just about any economic hardship but beyond that is anybody's guess.

Anyway I hope to share some of what I'm doing and learn from what you all are doing.

Good Luck!

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
Re: Introductions

Wow!

Great post Pops.

I think you're in the right place here at CM.

Your farm sounds great. I'll bet the grandkids love it.

maceves's picture
maceves

I enjoyed your website. 

I especially liked the 5 rules---I might make a sign and put it where I can see it.  ,,,,maybe the don't buy junk should be in the car on the dashboard so I won't forget,

Just curious---why don't you like Dexters?  Aside from their price.

jpitre's picture
jpitre

Pops

Welcome aboard !  Sounds like you have a lot to offer so keep posting you down-home country sense

My wife & I are doing some things a bit the way you are. We've opted out of the city life here in Arizona and settled on some acreage with our mules, chickens & solar farm - with ambitions to expand our agricultural activities. I know people people consider Arizona life unsustainable, however we are at he base of some mountains with 2 good wells (nobody upstream) adequate solar for all our electrical needs and a few acres to cultivate for food. Looks sustainable for our lifetimes anyway

Thanks

Jim

Kelly313's picture
Kelly313

Hi Pops,

I also enjoyed your website, especially 'There's only so much west"

Kelly

Travlin's picture
Travlin

Welcome to the forums Pops.  I think you have much to contribute and I look forward to your posts.

Travlin 

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M

Pops,

Welcome! I look forward to more of your insightful posts.

You've got a great outlook I think a lot of people could learn from.

Cheers,

Aaron

Pops's picture
Pops

Hey everyone, thanks for the great welcome!

SteveW's picture
SteveW

Pops, I noticed your prior posts in other threads and was neglectful to not welcome you. I particularly liked the insight that went into choosing a place to relocate.

Anyway welcome and looking forward to more helpful and encouraging posts.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments