Introduction, MOL

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
OITW's picture
OITW
Introduction, MOL

Although it could be simply that I'm incompetent, I can't find an introductions thread here, certainly not as a sticky.  I don't want to just post a long introductory post and end it with a plea for advice, so I'll keep this one short.

First, I get it.  What I especially like about the tone of this site is the theme of building resilience.  It's much easier to explain that to others than preparing for Armageddon.

Second, I'm nearly 50, about to retire from the military, and in the process of a divorce with children.  I do not recommend doing these all at the same time, ever, but there you have it.  I have TONS of decisions to make in a short time, and must deal with the frustration of not being able to legally make independent actions, not yet.  Wrapped into this is an underwater mortgage in a suburban area in the south, and I'm torn between cutting it off as a millstone or making a play to keep it.

What I would really like to do is to solicit as much wisdom as I can from the rest of you on where to live, whether to keep or dump the house, where/how to work post-retirement--all those sorts of questions many of you have dealt with and have insight into.  But I also want to respect the board and not just show up with a pile of questions for everybody as my introduction.

Moderators, feel free to relocate this post as appropriate.

featherjack's picture
featherjack
Welcome, OITW!

Wisdom... well, I've recently been learning to let go of things that don't bring me closer to what I need and want... House, wife, resentment... make past wrongs right if you can, lose the baggage, and move on. And be patient; with circumstances, other people, and yourself. Lots of good info to be had at http://www.richsoil.com/ , in the blog and the forums (fora?) . Lots of people here smarter than me on LOTS of the other issues you're working through; I'm sure they'll chime in shortly.

Best wishes on your transition.

OITW's picture
OITW
featherjack, thank you. 

featherjack, thank you.  I've spent many hours rummaging those sites in the past, they've done a lot to shape the way I'm looking at things now.

By the timing of my posts, it may be obvious that I'm currently based overseas, in Europe.  Just one more complication, but living here for so long has done a lot to open my eyes to many, many things.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments