An introduction to Becca (Chris's wife)

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
Becca Martenson's picture
Becca Martenson
An introduction to Becca (Chris's wife)

Hello everyone-

Chris and I have been partners for 22 years now. We’ve lived in 7 states (if you count the summer we worked in a salmon plant in Alaska when I was 19!), are raising 3 children in western Mass, and have made enormous changes in our lives based of the info presented in the Crash Course. We’ve move from college life, to farm life, to corporate life and back to the farm again and somehow have managed to grow together through the many twists and turns along the way.

When Chris first began researching the economy 6 years ago, he quickly realized that I needed to understand this stuff too (and believe me, it was not my natural inclination). He could see the changes we needed to make and knew we had to be on the same page to do it; I needed the same education in the 3 E’s that he had. So I read and read and read and we talked about the subject incessantly. I’ll never forget the incredulity I felt when first reading “Creature from Jeckle Island”. No bleeping way was this how the banking system worked! It seemed totally preposterous. I wanted to tell everyone I knew that the whole system was a ponzi-scheme house of cards ready to topple at any moment.

At least that’s how it felt to us at the beginning. We were sure the whole system would crash and burn years ago, but have learned there is more resiliency than we thought possible. And we are happy to have the time to continue to make changes in our lives.

I have worked side-by-side Chris on every seminar he has ever given and we are hard at work now preparing for the Rowe Conference. I keep an eye on the participants; watching for clues that folks are confused and need clarification, watching for signs of emotional pain when people are encountering the material for the first time. Our primary goal is always to help people take steps to prepare themselves for the changing future. In order to do that, people first need an awareness and understanding of the material that will then inform their actions. But getting to action is very hard for many of us.

My own personal work in the world, other than homeschooling our 3 children and serving on the Board of a local non-profit, is to help people make positive changes in their lives. This starts by creating a CLEAR and compelling picture of what one wants, and then taking steps to move forward in that direction. Of course there’s more to it than making a grand “to do” list, as we all carry deeply held beliefs that hold us back in ways of which we are frequently unaware. Uncovering and releasing these limiting beliefs and choosing empowering beliefs is the heart of the work I do in my private consultations with people.

So that’s my quick story. I am always here behind the scenes, working with Chris on strategic planning for the site, talking about challenging threads and how to respond to people who are emotionally triggered by others, managing some aspects of the day-to-day work on the site, and supporting Chris to fulfill his mission. Thanks for listening and I look forward to getting to know you all more in the months and years to come.

cat233's picture
cat233
Re: An introduction to Becca (Chris's wife)
Becca,
Thank you for always being there and filling the many shoes that you do.  I am sure this site wouldn't be what it is without you by Chris' side.  I look forward to reading your post and hearing your words of wisdom.
Cat
Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.

There's an old saying that behind every successful man stands a strong woman. Without a doubt, Becca epitomizes that saying.

After working with Chris "over the phone and e-mail" for a few months, I recently had the opportunity to travel to Massachusetts to meet the Martensons face to face, and I have to say that meeting Becca was an unexpected treat! Sure, Chris is just as impressive in person as you would guess from his presence on the site, but I already expected as much. Becca is every bit as impressive and dynamic a person as Chris, and meeting her was a true delight and something of an unexpected surprise.

In a bizarre way, Becca reminds me of Sydney, the psychologist character on the old M*A*S*H TV series. Those of you who know the show will recall that to an uninformed observer, Sydney didn't seem to be all that plugged in to whatever crisis was errupting at a given moment. But in reality, that was because he was operating on a whole different wavelength than everyone else. He had an innate ability to see past everyone's act, and figure out what really made them tick as human beings. That's Becca Martenson: Operating on a different plane than most of us, and more intuitive and perceptive about people and their emotional condition that I can find adequate words to describe.

Thanks for coming out of the closet, Becca!

Erik

switters's picture
switters

Becca,

It's a pleasure to meet you and hear your story, and I'm grateful for your contribution to this site and everything it represents.

Chris

Linda K's picture
Linda K

Becca

Thrilled that you've taken the time out of what obviously is a busy life to pull up a chair at this virtual table. A toast to the hostess.

jrf29's picture
jrf29

Becca, I've been wondering where you've been hiding!  It's very nice to see you on the site!  You and Chris complement each other very well.  Your presence on the site will go a long way toward making whole the message that you and Chris are trying to bring to the world, to the great benefit of everybody else!  Welcome!

Becca Martenson

Wow!  Erik, Cat, Linda, Chris and jfr29: thank you all for such a warm welcome.  I appreciate the support you have all given Chris, and by extension our family and I look forward to further conversations. 

Now I have to go to the library and get some old M*A*S*H episodes to check out this "Sydney psychologist" character I apparently resemble!  Erik-  Thank you for your lovely and generous reflection.  That was very kind of you and it was a pleasure having you visit us in MA ( even though I know it was miserably cold for you!). Smile

With gratitude,

Becca

cannotaffordit's picture
cannotaffordit

Hi Becca,

Before your personal introduction  to us today, I had the pleasure of receiving a response from you on a message I had sent to Chris, and I figured out very quickly that you are a "class act."  

I am one of those guys who is fortunate to also have a wife who is truly a partner in my life, so I can appreciate the value that you are to Chris and vice versa.   And besides, my having one of those partnerships where each partner grows by their sharing with each other, it fills my heart with joy to know that someone whom I trust so much, Chris, obviously has the same kind of relationship in his life.

It is just so neat to think about the two of you, working happily together and also being a loving family together.  I also want you to know how much we admire that you homeschool your children.  My guess is that, in their time, they will be wonderful people who contribute to the world as you and Chris do now, because no public or private teacher can ever give them all the things that you do in that setting.  

Again, there is something so comforting about knowing that the folks whom we trust, for important professional and personal information, are living examples of what they teach and share.

We look forward to a long and fulfilling relationship with your family, through your organization. 

Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.

Before I really get myself in trouble here...

I never meant to imply that you look anything like the character on MASH!

(Yes, folks, Becca really is every bit as gorgeous as she appears in the photo)

Erik

cat233's picture
cat233
ErikTownsend wrote:

Before I really get myself in trouble here...

I never meant to imply that you look anything like the character on MASH!

(Yes, folks, Becca really is every bit as gorgeous as she appears in the photo)

Erik

Lol... I am so happy you cleared that up for Becca before she sees Sydney!

Cat 

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix

WOW.....  so now we know that not only is Chris the Master Communicator, he's a charmer too!  It's great to put a face to the emails Becca.... and thank you for supporting Chris, we sure need him.  I too can testify that without an understanding partner (in far more ways than one) I would not be able to pull off all the work I do behind the scenes here in Australia..

WhoKnew's picture
WhoKnew

Hi Becca,I've been trying to get my wife on board with what’s transpiring in this world of ours. She seems very resistant to change and it’s making it a lot harder for me to carry out the prep work required.I guess my question to you is at what point did you decide you had to become more self sufficient and prepared for the worst, was it a combination of evidence or one moment, one book you read etc?This question is open to anyone else who may be able to assist me in opening my wife’s mind.Thanks.

Mark

Becca Martenson
dbajba wrote:

I am one of those guys who is fortunate to also have a wife who is truly a partner in my life, so I can appreciate the value that you are to Chris and vice versa.   And besides, my having one of those partnerships where each partner grows by their sharing with each other, it fills my heart with joy to know that someone whom I trust so much, Chris, obviously has the same kind of relationship in his life.

Thanks dbajba!

Chris and I are very fortunate to have each other, we know it and feel grateful daily.  Whenever we do a seminar together, I know that we are modeling more than economic awareness; we're also modeling what a healthy marriage looks like.   I am always glad to hear about others like us who are out there!  Blessings to you and your wife.

~Becca

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus

Good morning Becca. I really enjoyed your post. It makes sense to me that a bright man would marry a bright woman. Yes. That was a blatant compliment to both of you.

Becca Martenson
WhoKnew wrote:

Hi Becca,I've been trying to get my wife on board with what’s transpiring in this world of ours. She seems very resistant to change and it’s making it a lot harder for me to carry out the prep work required.I guess my question to you is at what point did you decide you had to become more self sufficient and prepared for the worst, was it a combination of evidence or one moment, one book you read etc?This question is open to anyone else who may be able to assist me in opening my wife’s mind.Thanks.

Mark

Hi Mark,

This is a question I get frequently and I just responded to a man who emailed us this morning with the same question.

When Chris first got this bee in his bonnet 6 years ago I remember asking him "Aren't you happy with our life?  Why do you want to rock the boat and change things?"  I was very uncomfortable with the whole thing and wasn't happy about his new ideas which were so counter to the dominant paradigm. 

Its hard to remember exactly how and when something shifted within me, but it was definitely related to the data.  Plus, we were losing a ton of money in our investments so there was a tangible expression of something not being right in the mainstream story.  Chris was relentless about giving me papers to read (he used to leave them on my bed at night) and charts to look at,  and once I got over the hump of my discomfort with a new subject and vocabulary (economics?  me?!?) I was hooked as well.  Back then, we didn't have the Crash Course, so it was reading all source material, but we talked about it all the time and learned together.

Now the shift to self-sufficiency was very easy for me as it is my natural inclination.  When we were in our 20s, Chris and I lived in rural NC for 9 years on a small farm.  We had a wood-stove, chickens, goats and a large garden.  I learned to can food by reading an old Ball cookbook my grandmother gave me.   Then we "grew up" (or so I thought),and moved on to a corporate job, home and life.  We thought our time on the farm was just a phase.

I'll never forget the first time we lost power during the winter in our fancy house on the shore in CT!  Our second child was just an infant, Chris was traveling for work in Europe and I realized I was completely unable to take care of my family.  Where was my wood-stove when I really needed it? My oil furnace and electric stove weren't going to do me a lick of good. I took my young children to a hotel and vowed to change things.  

So when we looked at the data and the potential consequences of a systemic financial meltdown, I was more than ready to ditch the big house and head back to the country.  While it was fear that pushed us out of our slumber and into action, we could also both feel the pull of a more meaningful life that beckoned.  Every step we have taken since that time has been a huge relief and incredibly satisfying:  the fuel independence (woodstove), solar panels, garden, chickens, freezer full of local meat and veggies, pantry full of home canned fruits, veggies and juices, home dried veggies, fruit leather and jerky (just this morning!), TV gone, kids out of school, deep and meaningful relationships with our neighbors...our whole life is FULL of value and meaning.  And gratitude, which is the real key to happiness.

In looking back over it all, I think we used the stages of awareness to our advantage.  We fluctuated between fear and anger, and used the energy contained in those emotions to propel us forward.  Fortunately, we never got stuck in depression or despair, but neither of us are constitutionally inclined in that direction.  Many people shut down completely when they go into fear, and so it is harder for them to use the emotion to their advantage.

Well that was a very long-winded response to your question.  I hope it helped!  I do a lot of this kind of work in my personal consulting, so if you are interested in hearing more about that, please feel free to contact me: [email protected].

~Becca

Becca Martenson

Thank you Ghandi!

~Becca

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv
Welcome aboard!
Becca wrote:

I’ll never forget the incredulity I felt when first reading “Creature
from Jeckle Island”. No bleeping way was this how the banking system
worked! It seemed totally preposterous.

Great to meet you - I could tell right away you were good people!

Larry

WhoKnew's picture
WhoKnew

Becca, thanks very much for your response. I'll use it in the up coming sit-down meeting my wife and I have scheduled. I believe my wife is suffering from the fear of change you mentioned, that said she is moving to my side of the fence.I will take up your offer to contact you via email in the coming days. Thanks,

Mark

barrt's picture
barrt

Hi Becca, thanks for that great response to Whoknew, I was going to ask you the very same thing!!

Can you recommend a reading list for me to pass on to my girlfriend please? im sure a lot of others here could use it too. You mentioned the Creature From Jeckle Island but do you have any other must reads please?

Im worried that my worries and attempts at preparation are making her think badly of me as she doesnt feel the danger like i do. She listens as i explain and seems to get it but then just goes straight back to OK magazine and the TV while I'm reading what seems to her like another nutters bible

Thanks for your help Smile

barrt

Becca Martenson

Hi Barrt-

If OK magazine and the TV are pulling her away from the conversation, I kind of doubt full length books like "Creature " will capture her attention.  I think the Crash Course is going to be the best option available; she can watch it in small chunks and absorb it at whatever rate feels right.  For folks that are really plugged in to the mainstream press, this material is difficult no matter where it comes from (although now that the NY Times and WSJ are actually printing reality-based economic stories, its getting a little easier.)

It is probably the case that your girlfriend will need to see a lot of people in her personal circle  or a celebrity she admires talking about this material before she'll be ready to open to the possibilities.  Not everyone is ready to hear this message yet, that is certain and I believe we are still way on the front end of the bell curve of awareness.  The folks reading and posting on this site are a minority but we are hoping the Crash Course can help bring to message to a wider audience.

For people who's partners are uninterested, in denial or are outright hostile to the information, I urge patience. Telling them how important this is over and over isn't going to help if the barriers are up and strongly defended.  You can quietly keep preparing, and she will be grateful to you when the time comes.  Find community of like minded people wherever you can.  I hope you have some people in your area that you can share your concerns with and not be thought a nut case.  If not, then keep building relationships here on the site.

I really sympathize with those folks who's partners are not on board. You are not the only one!

Perseverance in the face of opposition is the warrior's path and not for the faint-hearted, but a quiet strength is called for when dealing with one's partner or spouse. 

Good luck and feel free to ask for support when you need it.

~Becca

deggleton's picture
deggleton

This has been in the deep for too long!

Thanks, Becca, for what you've given and give, from another new member.

Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.
deggleton wrote:

This has been in the deep for too long!

Thanks, Becca, for what you've given and give, from another new member.

+1!!!!!

Becca is definitely an unsung hero of this site, IMHO.

Erik]

Davos's picture
Davos

I missed this thread.... Good read & thanks!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments