Introducing myself!

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
paulsjv's picture
paulsjv
Introducing myself!

Not sure where to put this topic but I wanted to say hi and introduce myself!  

I'm very interested in learning more and have already started my journey to protect myself if/when the SHTF. :)  I've still got a lot to do but I'm making progress every month!

This leads me to my question for you all.  If you had to put a percentage of how prepared you are what would that be?  For me I would say I'm about 10%-15% ready.  But I'm really curious to know what you all have done and what you think your precentage preparedness is to compare it to mine. :)

Anyway, hi!

thc0655's picture
thc0655
Welcome justlearning

Glad you're here!  Have you finished the Crash Course?  Making progress every month is my motto too.  Besides what else can you do? Not make progress, or do it all at once (that's impossible).

My wife and I have been learning and making progress since about 2/10 and I'd say we feel about 80% as prepared as we could be. Self-defense 99%.  Finances 90%.  Food and water 80%.  Energy resilience 60%.  Mental/emotional/spiritual resilience 99%.  Community connections 60%. Physical fitness for being in mid 50's 90%.  Of course all that is based on the range of disasters and needs we can imagine happening.  I always have nagging doubts about the unknown unknowns ahead of us.  I also have concerns about how much of our preparations will be spent helping our two 20 something children and their families who aren't preparing much now.

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
Welcome, justlearning!

I'm happy to welcome you aboard the good ship CM.com. It's a great community.

As for how prepared we are, my family (whose members are all onboard with prepping)  is maybe 60-65 percent of where we want to be. Considering we were at zero percent 2.5 years ago, that's pretty cool.

As thc0655 mentioned, make sure you watch the Crash Course the whole way through first. Then tackle the What Should I Do? (WSID) sections. If you have any specific questions they may already have been answered, so you might want to run an interanl Google search of the CM site: just look for the search fuction on the upper right of your screen.

You might also want to avoid getting entangled in political debates. We have everything from Marxists to ultra conservatives to libertarians. Concentrate on the things that will help you thrive in the very different world we will soon be inhabiting: blame prepares no one.

Best,

Safewrite

Jim H's picture
Jim H
Welcome

As well as the crashcourse itself, I highly recommend Chris' book of the same name, as well as Jim Rickard's brand new book, Currency Wars.  I have been working hard prepping since 2009, with the wonderful support of my wife, and I would say I am 80% overall.  My own greatest need is for further energy resilience in the form of a small, non-grid tied solar system so that I could harvest enough electricity to run my woodstove circulator fan, etc in the winter.  My view on the food stores is that I can simply never have enough ... since my own brother who lives local to me continues to see me as a tin foil hat guy, I will inevitably be feeding he and his wife someday too.  I could probably go 6-8 months without leaving the house, family of 4.  I have enough non-hybrid seeds in long life packaging to plant several acres over of vegies (good for barter if needed).  Don't overlook the need for firearms, and requisite training. 

I literally do something EVERY day to further increase my resilience.  This Spring when we vacationed in Mexico (Tulum).. I bought several courses of antibiotics at the airport pharmacy.. they are in the fridge for now.  My own choice of water filter is the Katadyn - ceramic absolute microfilter;

http://www.amazon.com/Katadyn-8013618-Pocket-Water-Microfilter/dp/B0007U...

As Safewrite said, this is a great community... ask and you shall recieve answers.  Share when you have something to offer.   

No_Fiat's picture
No_Fiat
Does not matter
justlearning wrote:

Not sure where to put this topic but I wanted to say hi and introduce myself!  

I'm very interested in learning more and have already started my journey to protect myself if/when the SHTF. :)  I've still got a lot to do but I'm making progress every month!

This leads me to my question for you all.  If you had to put a percentage of how prepared you are what would that be?  For me I would say I'm about 10%-15% ready.  But I'm really curious to know what you all have done and what you think your precentage preparedness is to compare it to mine. :)

Anyway, hi!

Percentages will not matter when the fiat dollar goes to zero value. There was a story once about the infaltionary period in Germany after WW1, where a man took a load of marks in a wheel barrow to a food shop, left it outside for a minute to go inside and check for food availability, when he came out the marks were dumped on the ground and the wheel barrow was stolen. Get the picture! 

dshields's picture
dshields
Yep...

A friend of mine at work sent me a link to the crash course.  I came home and watched it beginning to end.  I pondered it for about one week and started preparing.  Been preparing for while now.  I can't put a percentage on it.  It seems like I think of new things to do every day.  The list is endless.  I guess from my point of view you can't be prepared enough.  I live out in the woods.  The power goes off here for days at a time.  That has tought me alot.  Every time the power goes off we treat it like a trial run for financial collapse.  When the last hurricane came through the power was out for 5 days - the longest ever.  Learned a lot on that one.  Water is important.  It is amazing how much water you need.  Food.  Self defense.  When the class of entitlement gets cut off and pissed off you are going to need to be in a position to defend yourself and your assets.  Having electricity is wonderful and life changing.  Solar, hydro (stream in the back yard with a wheel), generator (has to be very quiet so people don't know you have one), chemical (fuel cell) - any form is good.  Lots of people here who can help.  No percentage from me - you can never be prepared enough.

paulsjv's picture
paulsjv
Thanks everyone for such a

Thanks everyone for such a great welcome! :)

I have gotten through about half of Crash Course.  I started reading a lot of the articles on the site related to the videos before I started watching.  I've known about the issues we are all facing since about 2007 when Ron Paul's campaign woke me up and ever since I have been reading on a daily basis and paying way more attention.  It wasn't until April of 2011 that I was able to really start preparing.  My next big purchase is going to be a Berky system in January, then I'll start on the food part, and gun part.  Those are the big purchases I'm planning on making within the next 4 to 6 months. 

Sometimes I just feel so overwhelmed by all of this but I do feel like I'm making progress slowly but surely.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments