Introducing myself

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
jrg24's picture
jrg24
Introducing myself

Hi all.  My name is Jason and I just found out about the crash course tonight.  I watched the brief overview but will begin full series soon.  When I first saw the overview I was floored.  My roommate and I have talked about similar things for years, and what I saw in that presentation is exactly what I have theorized for years although I have never put hard data to it in such a succinct way. 

In light of the recent events in this country and abroad, I began writing a blog promoting building local communities.  My initial reasoning was not to prepare for very difficult times ahead, but to circumvent the corporate and government interests who do not care about us.  I will not even go as far as saying that they intentionally go out of their way to harm us, but that they are apathetic to us as individuals and as communities. I live on the gulf coast and have seen how apathetic they are first hand. 

The idea for the blog was more of a way to get people to choose to stop participating in a system that will only ever see them as a number. As a resource to meet their respective goals. The less we need mega corporations and the less strain on governments equals less need of either institution.  The very basic plan I outline is a way to become a parasite on this system and funnel it back into local communities to make the people stronger.  The idea is simple. I use main street capitalism as the delivery method for this change.  Using a business approach to assess every possible competitive advantage over the behemoth corporations, even if that means accepting a lesser return on investment. If you work for a big company, make sure you funnel all of your pay out of that system.  Food would be grown in the neighborhood.  Residents would be encouraged to grow their own and sell excess to the local market.  plumbers, electricians, accountants, doctors, etc.  would be encouraged to operate outside of the current system to provide everything possible at reasonable costs to residents.  The benefit is to create more self emplyed people and reducing the burden of endentured servitude by the common working man while still maintaing individual freedom. People will need to take pride in their communites.  It will require great amounts of self restraint and respect for each other, but it is the only way I can see getting out of this system without hitting a hard stop at the end.

The secondary benefit of this is that it will begin to prepare people for the things The Crash Course warns about.  I have so many ideas about these things that I really cannot get them all out.  Permaculture, Open Source collective thinking, and most importantly strong local communities. The thing I really am trying to stress on my blog is that, even if everything presented in the crash course is wrong, doing these things people are talking about on here and what I advocate on my blog just make sense anyway.  You get to keep more of your money and increase the quality of your life through things other than consumption. 

I think it is important to spread this message in this way because people will always see people talking about "getting prepared" as someone with a screw loose upstairs.  It needs to be marketed as a way to increase lifestyle and wealth.  It needs to seem cool, and most importantly, non-partisan in any way.  It needs to make as much sense to liberals at the far left of the spectrum as it does to the conservatives at the far right.  A good example of this is permaculture.  I bought books, watched videos, and actively sought out people in my area currently practicing it.  All the videos depict young people who look kinda like hippies, for lack of a better term.  That will automatically deter many people in this country from even persuing it.  Its kind of like a big group of stoners promoting the legalization of marijuana all decked out in hemp clothing and dreads playing hacky sack vs.  a group putting on suits and ties promoting facts about marijuana legalization.  We need to use the systen against itself.

There is so much to do, and I am glad I found this site.  Sorry about my long rant.  I hope I didnt offend anyone with the use of the word 'hippies.' I look forward to posting more in the future.

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
Welcome, jrg24 There is an

Welcome, jrg24

There is an old Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times." You've joined our community at a  very "interesting" time. The main things you need to start with here (other than finishing The Crash Course) are in the "What Sould I Do?" section of the site. Also, any topics that interest you will easily be found doing an in-site search; most of them will probably be in the Definitive list of threads. There is one on permaculture and another on community-building that will probably interest you.

There are everything from Tea Party conservatives to Marxists on this site. The level of rhetoric and the number of flame wars are surprisingly low, however, as we are all asked in the guidelines to refrain from name-calling and focus on the practical. Great self-moderating and really good moderators keep us on track, and the varying perspectives are incredibly helpful.

Safewrite

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
welcome

Welcome, jrg24

There is an old Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times." You've joined our community at a  very "interesting" time. The main things you need to start with here (other than finishing The Crash Course) are in the "What Sould I Do?" section of the site. Also, any topics that interest you will easily be found doing an in-site search; most of them will probably be in the Definitive list of threads. There is one on permaculture and another on community-building that will probably interest you.

There are everything from Tea Party conservatives to Marxists on this site. The level of rhetoric and the number of flame wars are surprisingly low, however, as we are all asked in the guidelines to refrain from name-calling and focus on the practical. Great self-moderating and really good moderators keep us on track, and the varying perspectives are incredibly helpful.

Safewrite

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
jrg24 wrote: There is so
jrg24 wrote:

There is so much to do, and I am glad I found this site.  Sorry about my long rant.  I hope I didnt offend anyone with the use of the word 'hippies.' I look forward to posting more in the future.

Welcome to the Highly Functional Nuthouse Jason.  Nothing wrong with using 'hippie' either - even for the fiscally conservative, green and right of center variety of hippies here.

You will find this a place where you can:

"Talk about your troubles, talk about your ills" because, as a late, great dearly departed 20th century philosopher and sage once famously said:

"One man gathers what another man spills"

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
Hi jrg24 Welcome to

Hi jrg24

Welcome to CM.

Groovy to hear from you man. Laughing

FAlley's picture
FAlley
Practice

This is certainly a great community.

I'll be doing some shooting with a handgun and rifle this next week, and spreading the world to those around me about what's going on in the world (and how it's affecting us). Time will tell what effects come out of Japan.

Take care,

~Tin Man

trwiley's picture
trwiley
Welcome jrg24, I will not be

Welcome jrg24,

I will not be shooting a gun this week or any other week or stocking up my bunker. While I don't agree with everything and everyone on this site, it is indeed a great community that somehow seems to transcend (mostly) the typical left-right dichotomy. Afterall, we are all humans on this site.

And while I don't totally agree with the proposed solutions, I think the folks here are very bright and capable in identifying the global problems. They are also quite dignified and civilized in their discourse. 

I think, however, that we--all of us--need to start envisioning a post-capitalistic world. I look forward to reading your blog.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments