Intrinsic value of coins: a protection against inflation and some surprises for US and EU coins.

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
dchrys's picture
dchrys
Intrinsic value of coins: a protection against inflation and some surprises for US and EU coins.

I came across this excellent site the other day:

http://www.coinflation.com

that has the metallic values of most US coins. I was surprised to see that pre-1982 penny is worth its weight in copper right now, and was actually a lot higher 6 months ago, before the drop in copper prices. The older silver coins are many times over their nominal value as you will see.

When I did the math for some pre-Euro coins of the country I live (Greece - former currency was "drachma"), I was shocked to find out that a kilo worth of 1-drachma coins (minted 1988, 99% copper) has total nominal value of €1.10  but its price in local copper (black) market this summer reached €4.4.

Despite of this being an indication of the inflation that was imposed to us by the transition to Euro, I did some research on the metallic values of modern Euro coins and found out that 10cent coin has the best metallic value at the moment. 

I would be very interested to learn the metallic values of all coins still in circulation around the world, before I begin my new hobby: coin collecting !

If you have any information, please post it.

-=dchrys=-

cat233's picture
cat233
Stay Current... Chris' Resources

dchrys,

That is an excellent site.  Thanks for bringing it to the forum!

Chris also has this site listed under his, "Stay Current" tab in... "Resources"...  Just wanted to point-out to everyone to please checkout the Resources section on this site, it is excellent and covers many different area.

Cat

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments