An insider’s view of the real estate train wreck

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
investorzzo's picture
investorzzo
An insider’s view of the real estate train wreck

No one has been more right on the housing market in recent years. So, what’s coming next? Some of the housing numbers in the last few months look a little less ugly. Could housing be getting ready to get well?

MILLER: I don’t think so.

For all intents and purposes, the United States home mortgage market has been nationalized without anybody noticing. Last September, reportedly over 95% of all new loans for single-family homes in the U.S. were made with federal assistance, either through Fannie Mae and the implied guarantee, or Freddie Mac, or through the FHA.

If it's true that most of the financing in the single-family home market is being facilitated by government guarantees, that should make everybody very, very concerned. If government support goes away, and it will go away, where will that leave the home market? It leaves you with a catastrophe, because private lenders for single-family homes are nervous. Lenders that are still lending are reverting to 75% to 80% loan to value. But that doesn’t help a homeowner whose property is worth less than the mortgage. So when the supply of government-facilitated loans dries up, it's going to put the home market in a very, very bad place. 

Why am I so certain that the federal government will have to cut back on its lending? Because most of the financing is done via the bond market, through Ginnie Mae or other government agencies. And the numbers are so big that eventually the bond market is going to gag on the government-sponsored paper.

The public doesn’t have any idea of the scale of the guarantees the government is taking on through Fannie, Freddie, and FHA. It’s huge. If people understood what the federal government has done and subjected the taxpayers to, there would be a public outrage. But you can't get people to focus on it, and it's very esoteric, it's very hard to understand. But it’s not something the bond market won’t notice. The government can’t keep doing what it has been doing to support mortgage lending without pushing interest rates way up.

Refinancings of single-family homes are very interest-rate sensitive. Consumers have their backs against the wall. They have too much debt. Refinancing their maturing mortgages or their adjustable-rate mortgages is very problematic if rates go up, but that's exactly where they’re headed. So anyone who’s comforted by current statistics on single-family homes should look beyond the data and into the dynamics of the market. What they’ll find is very alarming.   

http://www.financialsense.com/editorials/casey/2010/0209.html

Davos's picture
Davos
Re: An insider’s view of the real estate train wreck

Good read!

msdavi's picture
msdavi

Enjoyed this...but could you give specifics on where it came from and who wrote it? The link at the bottom doesn't work.

thanks - Mike

Littleskipper's picture
Littleskipper
msdavi wrote:

Enjoyed this...but could you give specifics on where it came from and who wrote it? The link at the bottom doesn't work.

thanks - Mike

Ditto - tried to open the link but my browser can't find the server.  Would love to read this article.

Littleskipper's picture
Littleskipper

Forget  it - i found the article via a google search!

http://www.investorsinsight.com/blogs/john_mauldins_outside_the_box/arch...

investorzzo's picture
investorzzo

Looks like the site was down for a few days. Now up again. Jon

http://www.financialsense.com/editorials/casey/2010/0209.html

investorzzo's picture
investorzzo

I came across this. This should really get tax payers upset, not to mention why very little Modifications are getting done. Watch the video.

http://www.thinkbigworksmall.com/mypage/player/tbws/23088/1168292

californiarenter's picture
californiarenter
mortgages

I wonder how things look now. Seems like the housing market has stabilized? Here in California, we're thinking of actually BUYING! Can you believe it? Are we really there? Is real estate making a comeback?

californiarenter's picture
californiarenter
californiarenter wrote: I
californiarenter wrote:

I wonder how things look now. Seems like the housing market has stabilized? Here, the Irvine real estate is moving, so we're thinking of actually BUYING! Can you believe it? Are we really there? Is real estate making a comeback?

Update: We just found out that we got approved for a loan! Hallelujah! I think the worst is behind us here!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments