Improve your home, make beer in it.

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Thomas Hedin's picture
Thomas Hedin
Improve your home, make beer in it.

After one year of learning how to homebrew good tasty brews in the convenience of my own home I am wondering if anyone else enjoys the deliciousness of a home crafted beer?

I'm brewing a nut brown extra pale ale, triple hopped with a finishing dry hop at the end for extra aroma.

OG 1.085

FG 1.018 (I'm hoping anyways).

I wish I could say the beer would stick around longer, but every family gathering they all like to 'sample'.  :)

Anyone else a home brewer?

switters's picture
switters
Re: Improve your home, make beer in it.

I just made my first batch last month.  Organic Coffee Oatmeal Stout.  Yum!  I was pleasantly surprised with how well it turned out.  

Next up is something a bit more hoppy, like a Pliny the Elder clone.

Knowing how to make alcoholic beverages is a good skill for post-peak living!  You'll always be able to trade good beer or wine for something.

plato1965's picture
plato1965

Yup.. since last year.. best decision I ever made.. *grin*

I'm still only using the kits though , not proper all grain ( having 5 gallons of boiling sticky liquid is a bit risky when you have young children around..),

but I do the dry hopping thing to "personalise" it, and because I just love that fresh hoppy smell... 

.. experimenting with "dry elderflowing" in my current  batch..  :-)

switters's picture
switters

I'm doing partial-mash, which as you brewers know is a combination of extract and all-grain brewing.  Seems a good compromise to me.  You get some of the complexity of flavor of AG, but don't need all the equipment.

JAG's picture
JAG

I have collected the needed hardware, but have yet to take the plunge. Thanks for the inspiration to get rolling with it.

I do believe that one day the beer brewing skillset will be more valuable than gold....as long as you can secure a good allocation of the basic supplies that are needed.

Cheers!

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

Will you put your best  web links here please .  My grandpa always had some kind of brew going but we did not learn the skill.  It really must be cheap because that man lived on next to no money .  I see Hops all along the road  ...right across from the elderberries .  

Our local paper was full of recipes from a local guy and his wine making hobby .   I can not even imagine how much healthier it would be to not have the preservatives and pesticides in it .   Using recycled bottles right ?  That would so funny to go take from recycling day instead of depositing .

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
JAG wrote:

I have collected the needed hardware, but have yet to take the plunge. Thanks for the inspiration to get rolling with it.

I do believe that one day the beer brewing skillset will be more valuable than gold....as long as you can secure a good allocation of the basic supplies that are needed.

Cheers!

JAG  -

We live about 8 miles from a peat bog in the Great Dismal Swamp.

Perhaps I should distill a batch of single malt scotch???

Dog's Dismal Swamp 10 year old anyone.

Seriously, "home" distilling is another step up from brewing - anyone out there do any distilling (for home use of course)?

JAG's picture
JAG

Dogs,

Ever since I saw MASH as a kid I have always wanted to try my hand at distilling someday. When my father closed his chemistry lab a few years back, he set aside a bunch of equipment for me. I guess when I get the Christmas crap out of the attic this year I'll grab that box of goodies as well.

Look out, JAG is going to blow himself up. My wife will be so pleased.

Thomas Hedin's picture
Thomas Hedin

Knowing how to make alcoholic beverages is a good skill for post-peak living!  You'll always be able to trade good beer or wine for something.

I'll trade mine for a good hangover!  Just Kidding!

What does that Coffee Oatmeal Stout taste like? 

Thomas Hedin's picture
Thomas Hedin

Using recycled bottles right ?

I use the brown glass 1 liter bottles from www.barkingside.com

It's a local home brew store for me, plus he's cheaper that everyone else in town.  My only complaint with the 1 liter bottle is I wish the flip top was larger, like a growler.

Thomas Hedin's picture
Thomas Hedin

but I do the dry hopping thing to "personalise" it, and because I just love that fresh hoppy smell...

I just dry hopped my current batch with the williamette hopps from www.barkingside.com

I'm unsure of how hoppy an aroma it's going to get.  This is a fairly wild brew for me, so it's going to be either really good, or uhmm.....Something I'll trade after the collapse! LOL

I haven't been able to get my FG to drop as low as I would like to have seen it go.  I'm wondering if maybe I should add some really agressive yeast to try to lower it some more?

Anyone got any ideas?  I'm only able to get my FG down to 1.025ish or can a batch of beer with a lot of malt keep a higher FG?

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson

we distill our water :) in a copper tower reflux distillation unit,6'tall over rheostat 110volt controlled 220volt20 gallon

hot water heater.

robie,husband,father,farmer,optometrist,and a most reluctant typist

Thomas Hedin's picture
Thomas Hedin

Does that help in improving the flavor of the brew?

plato1965's picture
plato1965

The problem with distilled / RO / deionised water is you lose a lot of essential minerals (for the yeast, and you) ...

One thing you do want to get rid of is any chlorine or chloramine, the easiest way is probably an inline charcoal filter.. (or brita jug / big berkey ).

After that if you're a real perfectionist you can modify the hardness / PH / mineral content with gypsum, epsom salts, precipitated chalk..

http://madfermentationist.blogspot.com/2008/09/i-think-that-water-treatment-has-made.html

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson

We don't distill our water to affect our health,folks.though we could. we distill for our spirits :)

robie

jneo's picture
jneo

Thomas, where did you get your beer making kit at?  

Thomas Hedin's picture
Thomas Hedin

My best friend and future wife, and they both happen to be the same person.

I have a coopers homebrew system.  It's simple and easy, clean, and it works better than those stupid buckets.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments