Impact of this latest disaster: Tornadoes?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
land2341's picture
land2341
Impact of this latest disaster: Tornadoes?

What new impact will these latest disasters have??

FEMAs broke, National Guard is over stretched, good for construction??

My sympathies are deeply with those people effected.  But, I can't help but wonder what will happen at this latest blow.

land2341's picture
land2341
now flooding and no insurance

I am surprised no one is talking about this here.  I am hearing horrifying stories about what happened in the areas hit by the tornadoes and now those being hit by the flooding.  Many,  many of these people no longer have home owners insurance.  Some carry only what the bank requires which does not cover content and only repays the bank.  This is going to create a large group of people who were working class and are not the poorest of poor.  There are no resources left in their own circles of family to help them,  the government has nothing and plans on giving less.

Then I watched FOX news choose the new GOP candidate last night.  Talk about spin!  It was stomach turning to see them rule out Ron Paul,  choose and run with the FED insider.

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
I think it's disaster

I think it's disaster burnout...compared to what happened in Japan this seems less frighteniong to a lot of people.

But it's like that saying, "If you have a job we are in a recession; if you lose your job we are in a depression." Those who lost their homes are in a depression, and unless you live nearby and see the devestation you may be dealing with enough challenges that you brain oveloads and cannot handle thinking about the misfortunes of others. Sad, but true.

I have friends and family  in northern Alabama. A very good friend and fellow safety engineer (she's a stay at home mother with a handicapped child now who updates safety management texts for a living) is literally acoss the street from a development of McManasions that are now tornado-induced rubble. For what it's worth, the disaster sent here here to CM. She had all the emergency prepardness stuff down cold, but what do you do when your home base is gone?

Community will be imporatant for disatster recovery in the future. There will be no state or federal funds to rebuild. I've volunteered to be a part of a fundraising effort that is internet and locally based.

land2341's picture
land2341
How do you prepare to lose everything?

I hope you're right safewrite because my own plans have included working hard to build community both locally and on-line.  I have gotten tons of pictures from families who have lost everything.

How are you supposed to manage when your preps are all destroyed?  This one family moved to a rural area started sustainable farming,  got completely off the grid and it is now all gone.  Every bit of it is destroyed.  The end of the world really is a personal thing.  But, the more we push for individualism the less we make it possible for any of us to survive......    

What preps do you make for this?  Another family moved their house to higher ground in preparation for climate change.  They've been off grid for decades, self supporting farmers.  Moved their entire house 40 feet in elevation higher.  The floods got them anyway.  Drown their entire flock of chickens and herd of goats.  Drown their crops.  They have hated the government for years,  but now who are they turning to?  Their whole family and community is all flooded out the help will have to come from outside that community.

How do you prepare?

kaman's picture
kaman
How do you prepare?

Land2341,  Moving up 40 feet in elevation apparently was not enough, and although it is indeed sad that your people took such a hit, their thoughtful planning (in hindsight) shows just how far above the normal level of what would be considered 'safe' people need to prepare for.  In these days of biblical proportion events of rising oceans, 100+ year flooding,  super tornadoes, cat 5+ hurricanes, level 9 earthquakes, volcanoes, and monster wild fires, one must prepare for extreme (even unthinkable) occurences.  Anyone living in relatively low lying land has to reconsider their position if they are to survive as 100 feet of additional elevation may not be enough for the next flood.   Mother Nature's playbook is being re-written daily.  People need to see and understand what others, such as those you pointed out, are going through to better plan for their own future.

Tall's picture
Tall
All our eggs in one basket

It occurs to me that this is the only situation where it is an adavntage to have a family members scattered across the country. If disaster befalls one nuclear family, they possibly may find refuge in another related household that is still intact.

land2341's picture
land2341
Now there's more......

I was speaking to people responsible for the hospitals in the areas in things have been flooding and there have been tornadoes.  Everyone's emergency management plans have fallen apart.  

The plans in most places was to evacuate patients to hospitals within the kinship system.  In the system,  the problem was all of the hospitals were effected at the same time.    Joplin had a great plan and it went the way it was supposed to,  but they did not get enough time to evacuate properly.  People died and there is no fixing this.  

Evacuation plans really need to be reworked.  These disasters are hitting too fast and too hard.  Standard plans are simply not cutting it.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments