I'm outta here...

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
Gungnir's picture
Gungnir
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Mar 2 2009
Posts: 643
I'm outta here...

Well after being an avid CM poster for the past year, I'm bugging out.

Simple reason, there's nothing here that I can't get anywhere else, with less repetitious BS, hysteria and boredom. Which leads to frustration and irritation that I can well do without. So I figured I'd post a I'm gone message, not because I think anyone in particular is listening, but because it'll stop me from coming back here and getting tied up in this place again.

Chris has put forth a great idea and resources on the 3E's, economy, environment, and energy. Some of us are working towards life in a world where those three things have dramatically changed, others are still planning, others will do neither.

My issues here are quite simple, where once there was a community now it's a discussion on US foreign policy, and how the government is screwing us, with minimal actual discussion on what we need to do and what resources we need to develop and when these appear, then they turn into US foreign policy and how the government is screwing us threads. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the world will not die with a bang or a whimper, but with two people arguing on an internet forum over the actual means of how the end of the world came to be.

So on resources and planning, I can get that in many other places often to a greater depth of knowledge, since they're specifically focused on those areas. The one thing this place had that it lost is community, I guess that's the way with all things, it's born, develops and then dies CM is a petrie dish of evolution. Anyway with that I'm gone, those who want to discuss things with me know where I am.

I'll not be seeing you.

JAG's picture
JAG
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Oct 26 2008
Posts: 2492
Re: I'm outta here...
Gungnir wrote:

My issues here are quite simple, where once there was a community now it's a discussion on US foreign policy, and how the government is screwing us, with minimal actual discussion on what we need to do and what resources we need to develop and when these appear, then they turn into US foreign policy and how the government is screwing us threads. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the world will not die with a bang or a whimper, but with two people arguing on an internet forum over the actual means of how the end of the world came to be.

I totally agree with this sentiment. I miss the old days on this forum when I actually learned something.

Its time for me to take a break as well, but I'll be back when there is actually something to talk about.

All the best and take care of yourself and PC up there on the last frontier.

Thanks for the education.

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Mar 18 2009
Posts: 1443
Re: I'm outta here...

I agree.  One thing that I think has helped in the demise, is the lack of attention that CM himself has given to the forums over the past couple months.  I know he's a busy guy and his life is in constant change mode for the betterment of his family so I can't fault him.  But even in this thread

http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/making-our-lives-more-resilient-mart...

He hasn't participated in over a month.  This on top of losing many of the frequent posters due to probably the same issues.  While I think that the issue of the US Gov't/Shadow Gov't Screwing us is valid and persistent, discussion on the E's has waned much too much.  Plus as was stated, new info on this site has been rather slow in coming.  Most everything is just regurgitation from other bloggers.

Good luck Gungir and family!  We'll miss you and JAG much.  

A. M.'s picture
A. M.
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Oct 22 2008
Posts: 2367
Re: I'm outta here...

Take a breather and come back bro.

I had to do the same thing.
This is still a good community with value.
Cheers and best of luck,

Aaron 

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Status: Martenson Brigade Member (Offline)
Joined: Jan 4 2009
Posts: 2606
Re: I'm outta here...

Gungnir -

Fair winds and following seas.

I'll be following your blog so please keep that up.  Pass along best wished to Plick from Cat and me.

ckessel's picture
ckessel
Status: Martenson Brigade Member (Offline)
Joined: Nov 12 2008
Posts: 465
Re: I'm outta here...

Gungnir,

We'll keep the light on for you!  The best to you and PC and keep the fire burnin.

I have not been much of a frequent poster myself mainly due to the amount of time it takes to present the Crash Course on a regular basis and to take part in local community building activities. I think Chris mentioned that he was planning on spending more time with his family and on his own preparedness activities now that he has new diggs to maintain. I consider that is a good thing.

I appreciate the knowledge and research you bring to this site and hope after you get your home complete you can find some time to return. Meanwhile, see you on up the line.

Coop

 

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Sep 9 2009
Posts: 1443
Re: I'm outta here...

Er...I'm still learning from this site.

I don't see any reason for the frustration. I visit lots of sites daily. I don't expect any one site to be a certain way. I just like sharing insights and ideas with people.

Ken C's picture
Ken C
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 13 2009
Posts: 753
Re: I'm outta here...

Gungnir,

 

Sorry to see you go. I know what you mean by many of the threads seeming to be dominated by the US bashers that must have some agenda besides building a community. I try not to respond to most of it but it does become tiring.

I will visit your blog from time to time but do return here and share your experience with the rest of us.

 

Best regards,

Ken

 

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Dec 27 2008
Posts: 1200
Re: I'm outta here...

Wow. 

nickbert's picture
nickbert
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Jan 14 2009
Posts: 1207
Re: I'm outta here...

Gungnir -

This too shall pass.  There seem to be regular cycles with this and many sites... eventually the forum environment will turn a new leaf and be more focused.  When the next shoe drops I think we'll see the forums reflect more of the core focus of this site and taking action, and I hope you'll be around here for that.  After all, you two are taking more action than probably 99.7% of the rest of us, and will be in a position to teach a lot  Smile

- Nickbert

A. M.'s picture
A. M.
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Oct 22 2008
Posts: 2367
Re: I'm outta here...

Agree with the above. Keep in mind that we need disagreement. 
Those who can articulate themselves in a manner such as you can are instrumental to keeping this forum healthy and alive.
We all need to step back, but please bro - don't cheat us out of you and Plickety's Company permanently .

Cheers 

Aaron 

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd
Status: Martenson Brigade Member (Offline)
Joined: Oct 12 2008
Posts: 799
Re: I'm outta here...

Gungnir (in case you return) and others,

There seems to have been a regular occurrence of parting messages, which I do not entirely understand. Most such messages involve similar reasonings, such as a loss of community, a lack of moderation, perceived personal attacks, etc. Some of these parting messages appear to be (for now, at least) final, while others are temporary. Some return, and some don't, in other words.

My problem in understanding, I guess, is the need for these send-off messages.  Don't misunderstand me, Gungnir and others, as I/we will miss your presence, but why do you need to announce your pending absence? What do you hope to achieve by your announcements that you might not achieve by other means?

Personally, I understand the need to step back, as I did months ago. I don't think I announced my intention to do so, so if I did, I apologize. For me, the reason was simply that I was spending far too much time typing at a computer and far too little time reading to my children, etc. It is all too easy to get overly involved in a particular topic (religion springs to mind for me, just now), and lose focus on more important issues. I do not post here nearly as often as I once did, although I am still am on the site frequently. For my own peace of mind, and for the sake of my family, I have (somewhat) learned to restrict my posting to topics upon which I feel I have some expertise or unique viewpoint (I hope).

This is a community, in the broadest sense of the word, composed of people from all over the world, and with widely divergent viewpoints (excepting the 3Es, of course). It is to be expected that there will be variances of opinion. Learning when to let some comments slide, or when to completely bypass some topics of discussion, seems to me to be of paramount importance.

My advice, to any who are considering the need to leave, is to take a break, lurk to your heart's content, and post only when you truly feel the need. For what it's worth...

Subprime JD's picture
Subprime JD
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 17 2009
Posts: 562
Re: I'm outta here...

Ive taken a step back as well. This is a great site and when things start heating up again i expect the activity to increase again. At the moment things are pretty calm and there isnt much big news going on. All the funny money created is doing its job, keeping things afloat for now. Ive noticed that CM has taken some time to spend working on other things and that is cool. We cant be "doomer" focused all of the time otherwise we miss out and all the wonderful things life has to offer us. We still live in a developed country were sewage isnt running in the streets, there arent bombs going off every day and we dont have to dodge firefights. Disease is practically nonexistent, most people are employed (consider bolivia, iraq, afghanistan, iran, north korea, ukraine, most of africa). Things arent that bad in the scheme of things and they could be alot worse.

The crash of 2008 scared many people, including me. Those who have more detailed knowledge (CC) were even more scared than the average joe. Like it or not most people were freaking out when bank after bank was collapsing back in the fall of 08, including the mainstream media. I believe that time has left a great impact on people like us who know that the fundamentals are so poor. However, we cannot be in panic mode forever. Lately, ive been focusing real hard on the acceptance level. I find myself more at peace, not getting as angry when i hear another story of gov corruption or lies. Unfortunatelty this is the how things work and there arent enough of us to change things. The only thing we can do is save ourselves. Perhaps ill become more optimistic if the facts change, but  at the moment this is how i view things, and have come to accept them for my peace of mind.

In the event the future is going to be tougher then today (based on the facts it most likely will) the only thing we can do is prepare. Save money, dont buy dumb things, and be wiser. In the meantime, take a step back, relax and go watch avatar, go for a walk, enjoy a cappuccino.

 

Bear

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Sep 9 2009
Posts: 1443
Re: I'm outta here...

ccpetersmd wrote:

...but why do you need to announce your pending absence?

 

Gungnir wrote:

So I figured I'd post a I'm gone message, not because I think anyone in particular is listening, but because it'll stop me from coming back here and getting tied up in this place again.

Coming back and getting tied up in this place? What the h*ll does that mean? This site isn't an ex girlfriend its a forum. If you don't like whats being said then remove the icon from your desk top, no big deal. This site is designed as a place to exchange ideas and information not for personal drama. Holy Cats! If your that upset just leave don't make a grand exit.

VeganDB12's picture
VeganDB12
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Jul 18 2008
Posts: 731
Re: I'm outta here...

FWIW

I think I understand why Gugnir is telling people about his departure and I think he could be speaking for others as well. If he says it others don't have to-in any event, best wishes to you and Plickety.

 

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Sep 29 2008
Posts: 1813
Re: I'm outta here...

I'll break silence . . .but only for this:

EDIT:  This post removed for being entirely non-constructive.  Cloudfire, there's a reason why you were suspended several times and burned up 50x more moderator time than anyone else here.  We are glad to hear that you've found happiness elsewhere.  Keep it up.

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd
Status: Martenson Brigade Member (Offline)
Joined: Oct 12 2008
Posts: 799
Re: I'm outta here...

Sorry if I came across as being overly critical of Gungnir's (and other's) exit style, as I didn't intend for that to be the primary emphasis of my post. Rather, I wanted to point out that this is a diverse community with wide ranging interests, and challenges are to be expected. I certainly would like to see fewer personal attacks and greater tolerance of other's viewpoints, but that seems to be a problem with most sites that I frequent.

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Sep 29 2008
Posts: 1813
Re: I'm outta here...
Cloudfire wrote:

I'll break silence . . .but only for this:

EDIT:  This post removed for being entirely non-constructive.  Cloudfire, there's a reason why you were suspended several times and burned up 50x more moderator time than anyone else here.  We are glad to hear that you've found happiness elsewhere.  Keep it up.

Funny, I only remember being suspended once . . . along with several other members in that conversation.  But, as you say, I am content with the outcome . . .

Sorry to have chewed up your time, Jason . . . I believed in what I was doing, and I thought it was worth fighting for.  I didn't realize that mine was a goal that couldn't be achieved here.  If I had realized that from the outset, it would have saved much time for both of us.  My error . . . 

 

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd
Status: Martenson Brigade Member (Offline)
Joined: Oct 12 2008
Posts: 799
Re: I'm outta here...

Personally, I thought C1oud actually made some good points in her post. Did it really need to be deleted?

cmartenson's picture
cmartenson
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Jun 7 2007
Posts: 5570
Re: I'm outta here...

Hey Gunginr I wish you well but I sincerely wish you hadn't played the old "this place blows now, I'm outta here!" door slamming card. For me it comes off poorly and diminishes your prior contributions. 

This site is about recognizing the big changes that are coming and helping others do the same. It is about changing our collective stories while the time remains.

There are many, many things that need to be done and internet forums are a small wedge of the overall pie and this site is but a very tiny slice of that wedge.  I do get disappointed when the sentiment is expressed that I am somehow not putting enough into this site, my writing, or this overall effort or, even worse, that the good efforts of the other participants are similarly disparaged as somehow not being up to someone's standards or meeting their needs. 

Building is hard, tearing down is easy. I am trying to build a new future and much of my effort remains uncompensated and altruistic because, for some reason, we've yet to receive a multi-billion dollar government award to fund this work.

Because of this, it means we do the best we can around here with what we've got and that I rely heavily on smart, caring people to participate in productive and useful ways.  It is my judgment that this site exceeds most others by any measure but, when it comes to representing a collection of people who get the big picture, it really stands out.

If you happen to think there are better places on the internet to meet your more particular needs then, by all means, make use of them.  But tearing into the motives and utility of a free public forum with exceptional moderation because it has somehow disappointed you?  I just don't understand that, I really don't, because it would never occur to me to do that.  Are such statements meant to somehow improve the site and the experience of those here?  If so, I am missing it.  Instead it feels like a bitter parting shot without any positive intent at all.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

But we get these parting shots from time to time and I always struggle with whether to leave them up or not because their negative attributes seem to outweigh their potential positive impact.  But I am biased (hey, it's my name on the site) so I hesitate even though it is clear that negativity attracts negativity and creates space for others to pile on with their own grievances, imagined or otherwise.  My worry is that, if unchecked, such discussions tend to dominate because expressing disappointment seems to be a very energetic pattern for some people.

As a final aside, I am in my near-frantic last-minute state preparing to leave for CA tomorrow morning where I will be participating the the Post-Carbon Institute fellows retreat, speaking at the Commonwealth Club, meeting with a variety of well-connected and caring people, giving interviews, and delivering a variety of presentations.  I will be away from my family for ten days and if I break even on the trip that will be swell.  I do all of this because I care about our future and I am working as hard as I know how to create a better one in time. 

While taking shots is part of the territory I have chosen to walk upon, I can assure you responding to non-constructive criticism is hurting the cause by stealing time I don't have from things that deserve it more.  Which is my way of saying, if you haven't got anything helpful to say, please just don't say it at all.

Thanks in advance.

 

 

Doug's picture
Doug
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Oct 1 2008
Posts: 3125
Re: I'm outta here...

ccpetersmd

I agree.  She didn't seem particularly inflammatory or divisive to me.

Doug

cmartenson's picture
cmartenson
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Jun 7 2007
Posts: 5570
Re: I'm outta here...
ccpetersmd wrote:

Personally, I thought C1oud actually made some good points in her post. Did it really need to be deleted?

Yes.

I did it, not Jason, because of Cloudfire's past reputation for ducking in to stir things up, not necessarily because the post entirely lacked merit. 

I simply don't have time to have this topic be her "coming out fo retirement" moment because past experience says that this will rapidly go places I really, really don't want to go.

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd
Status: Martenson Brigade Member (Offline)
Joined: Oct 12 2008
Posts: 799
Re: I'm outta here...

Understood, Chris. This thread has already taken up too much of my time. Back to politicking for an Iowa State Sovereignty bill...

Best wishes in California!

kaman's picture
kaman
Status: Bronze Member (Offline)
Joined: Apr 24 2009
Posts: 51
Re: I'm outta here...

Dang folks, lighten up a little bit.

I come here to listen & learn which is why I seldom open my mouth, but I have never seen things get so personal.  CM contributed plenty just by offering the CC and hosting this site, are there those of you that really think he's slacking?  Just like big government, do we really need Oz involved in every conversation between grown adults?

There's no need to pick every berry on the bush, some are too ripe, some not enough.  Pick only what you need and that suits your palate, there are others with differing tastes taking this path who can benefit from the fruit of the same bush.

I hate to see anyone leave, there's merit in every comment.

isjrb029's picture
isjrb029
Status: Bronze Member (Offline)
Joined: Jan 16 2009
Posts: 51
Re: I'm outta here...

Thanks Chris for all your hard work. Also thanks to all who take the time to add to our lessons daily. I have noticed lately that there is a bit of bickering going on. I think a lot of it is people are frustrated and just like life in general we believe what we want without tolerance for others views.  I appreciate that fact that Chris sidlelines many of the the things like politics and religion. I think there are plenty of site along those lines. This site is here for one purpose and that is to educate us about the 3 E's and how to plan for a better life if you are prepared. Now i say let's just try and get along and move forward with our education.

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Sep 29 2008
Posts: 1813
Re: I'm outta here...
cmartenson wrote:
ccpetersmd wrote:

Personally, I thought C1oud actually made some good points in her post. Did it really need to be deleted?

Yes.

I did it, not Jason, because of Cloudfire's past reputation for ducking in to stir things up, not necessarily because the post entirely lacked merit. 

I simply don't have time to have this topic be her "coming out fo retirement" moment because past experience says that this will rapidly go places I really, really don't want to go.

No need for pre-emption, Chris . . . I made it clear that I am content with my decision . . . I just thought that others might benefit from the viewpoint of one who has stepped back enough to gain perspective. My greatest regret is that I did not do so sooner . . . for everyone's sakes.  I should have recognized and surrendered earlier to the obvious conclusion that this is not an appropriate milieu for me. 

I'm glad that you popped in, as I am relieved to hear that the deletion was your action, as I was startled to think that Jason would deliberately misrepresent the specifics of my history here. 

Good luck to you . . . Our paths take us in different directions . . .

 

Lemonyellowschwin's picture
Lemonyellowschwin
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Apr 22 2008
Posts: 547
Gungir's Low Brow Post

Gungir's post made me angry.  I'm sure he's taken a lot of value from this site over time, and a parting shot like that is not called for. 

Chris doesn't need me to come to his defense so I speak only for myself when I say that there really is no other site that I have found that offers the kind of value that this one does.  That is not to say that all threads by all posters are worth reading, but every contribution Chris makes is most definitely worth reading.  I have never read one of his posts -- whether an Insider or Report or any writing -- that has not contributed to my understanding in some way.

Chris is a trustworthy, reliable, and insightful person and a great writer who has taken on a huge task in putting this site together and providing us with valuable information.  He's a lot smarter than I am, and I have come to rely on this site to some degree to prepare my future.  I hate the idea that anyone would try to discourage him from continuing on with his work.

Septimus's picture
Septimus
Status: Silver Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 19 2008
Posts: 200
Re: I'm outta here...
Doug wrote:

ccpetersmd

I agree.  She didn't seem particularly inflammatory or divisive to me.

Doug

Doug and ccpetersmd,

I totally agree with you both. Moderation of her posts (unless they were nearly unbelievably different from the ones I saw and enjoyed reading) has diminished rather than helped this site. Cloudfire posted thoughts that helped me, at least, to think about  things and while she holds beliefs some do not they never came across as threatening IMO.

Excelsior,

Septimus

idoctor's picture
idoctor
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Oct 4 2008
Posts: 1731
Re: I'm inta here...

Yes I am in-ta here & plan to stay LOL. Okay I admit it I post too many Peter Schiff youtubes!!!! He just seems to be really trying to make a Positive change like Chris in a world with many negatives IMHO. Many people here that post are trying to make a difference also I feel. I will sure miss Gungir's posts & hope he is just having a bad posting day here. Hope you come back as you have helped many. Maybe this is what you are looking to hear from a post like this (some positive feedback)?

Some believe this site is gloom & doom but it is far from that. Depends on how we choose to view it or use it. We all just need real info to help us manage our future which at the moment is less certain than in other years past. Let us keep helping with what we can. Once we see real positive news like companies adding jobs & true employment & growth happening lets be the first to post it.

Right now in my area I just don't see jobs being created or banks willing to loan......just the way it is. Green shouts are still looking to be yellow weeds for now.

Saffron's picture
Saffron
Status: Gold Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 29 2009
Posts: 250
Re: I'm inta here...
idoctor wrote:

Some believe this site is gloom & doom but it is far from that. Depends on how we choose to view it or use it. We all just need real info to help us manage our future which at the moment is less certain than in other years past. 

This is what I find amazing ... even my family sometimes tells me to get away from all the doom and gloom I'm reading (which, admittedly I should probably do less.) But for me, it is so helpful to know that other people notice what is happening and are aware and preparing. I do not find this site doom and gloomish - far from it - we are realists willing to prepare for the unknown so that it *doesn't* become doom and gloom.

Until I found this site, I sometimes felt crazy wondering why people don't see what is happening. Then I'd feel dumb, thinking maybe I just don't understand how everything works and my "pessimistic" tendencies make me paranoid and fearful of the future. The odd thing is, I see "prepping" as a very optimistic act - those of us who do it see ourselves not only surviving, but eventually thriving *without* having to rely on the generous assistance of a FEMA camp.

A. M.'s picture
A. M.
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Oct 22 2008
Posts: 2367
Re: I'm outta here...

Saffron, 

Quote:

The odd thing is, I see "prepping" as a very optimistic act - those of us who do it see ourselves not only surviving, but eventually thriving *without* having to rely on the generous assistance of a FEMA camp.

I agree entirely.
In order to be a "prepper" you have to be optimistic. You have to trust that you can do some good, you have to have great love for your family and friends and you have to have faith in your neighbors.

The events are neither positive or negative. They just are. 
"Gloom and Doom" is the fixation on the pedantic points that are disturbing.

Cheers!

Aaron 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments