I'm a CZAR, your a CZAR everyone's a CZAR CZAR

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
krogoth's picture
krogoth

If we have a word for failure, or a word that's should have it's definition changed, it's the word CZAR. Just hearing it makes me cringe. Let's put this into perspective.

The definition-
Tsar or czar[1] (Russian: царь , Bulgarian, Serbian, Ukrainian: цар, in scientific transliteration respectively car' and car), occasionally spelled csar or tzar in English, is a Slavonic term designating certain monarchs.

Originally, the title Czar (derived from Caesar) meant Emperor in the European medieval sense of the term, that is, a ruler who has the same rank as a Roman or Byzantine emperor (or, according to Byzantine ideology, the most elevated position adjacent to the one held by the Byzantine monarch) due to recognition by another emperor or a supreme ecclesiastical official (the Pope or the Ecumenical Patriarch).

Metaphorical uses

Like many lofty titles, e.g. Mogul, Tsar or Czar has been used as a metaphor for positions of high authority, in English since 1866 (referring to U.S. President Andrew Johnson), with a connotation of dictatorial powers and style, fitting since "Autocrat" was an official title of the Russian Emperor (informally referred to as 'the Tsar').

In the United States the title "czar" is a slang term for certain high-level civil servants, such as the "drug czar" for the head of the Drug Enforcement Administration, "terrorism czar" for a Presidential advisor on terrorism policy, "cybersecurity czar" for the highest-ranking Department of Homeland Security official on computer security and information security policy, and "war czar" to oversee the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and most recently "car czar" to describe the overseer of the proposed 2008 automotive industry bail-out plan.

I think this should be the new definition-

Tsar or czar[1] (Russian: царь , Bulgarian, Serbian, Ukrainian: цар, in scientific transliteration respectively car' and car), occasionally spelled csar or tzar in English, is a Slavonic term designating certain monarchs.

American slang use- A person of ill qualification or questionable intelligence, put into a high paying government job to attempt by excessive, endless spending to correct a situation or problem that is uncorrectable. A word for failure, or to precede a situation of failure. A term used in the media as an alerting siren for anyone with half a brain that more useless spending is coming.

Brandon's picture
Brandon
Re: I'm a CZAR, your a CZAR everyone's a CZAR CZAR

Wow, I had to stop laughing at the title of this thread before I could write anything...that just spoke to me like you can't believe!

I am so glad someone said something about that, and did it so well, and that I'm not the only one that is totally irritated by the media's thoughtless embrace of that word.  I'm sure there's some psychological analysis of why it has become so popular, but my head hurts when I start theorizing.

rlee's picture
rlee

No, you're wrong!  This is all part of the rebuilding process -  

By JULIE HIRSCHFELD DAVIS Associated Press Writer 

Besides providing cash for the auto companies, it would create a government "car czar," to be named by President George W. Bush to dole out the loans, with the power to take back the money and force the carmakers into bankruptcy next spring if they didn't cut quick deals with labor unions, creditors and others to restructure their businesses and become viable.

Not only are we providing for the long term growth of the auto industry, but George has now found a way to fix the unemployment problem - create new jobs while bailing out poor management!

It feels good knowing that our government is looking out for us! 

A. M.'s picture
A. M.

I JUST had this conversation this morning with my wife over breakfast.

Why they're using a term that is long associated with corruption and tyranny to define the "head" of damn near every organization under the sun - I can't imagine.

Krogoth, thanks!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's annoyed by the Czar phase the media is going through.

ckessel's picture
ckessel
rlee wrote:

Not only are we providing for the long term growth of the auto industry, but George has now found a way to fix the unemployment problem - create new jobs while bailing out poor management!

It feels good knowing that our government is looking out for us! 

Let's make sure the Czar is properly qualified though. Needs to have experience as a Board Member of one the Fed Banks and would be preferrable if  he/she was still on their payroll!

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr

Too funny ckessel!! 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments