Iceland

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
scbissler's picture
scbissler
Iceland

I have to say that I am completely amazed at the media blackout of events in Iceland.  I am not aware of ANY US media coverage of the ongoing collapse of their economy - nothing of the hardships of the citizens (which may portend future US events, or do I answer my own question?), or the recent government protests, or just today the announcement of the prime minister calling early elections.  Iceland is a member of NATO.  They had either the 3rd, 4th, or 5th highest per capita income only  a year ago.  How is this not news?  Anyone?  

Here is a link to a report from CCTV (China news service) from last month.  The report is about how Chinese nationals in Iceland are dealing with the crisis.  There are some very interesting/relevant/insightful/humorous tidbits within the report that those who have watched the Crash Course may appreciate :

http://v.cctv.com/html/NewsHour/2008/12/NewsHour_300_20081215_14.shtml 

DavidLachman's picture
DavidLachman
Re: Iceland

It doesn't surprise me too much.  There is enough news going on in the states to fill the economics sections of the paper and news shows.  And non domestic news doesn't get almost any coverage if there isn't a big US component to the news, either by direct US involvement or because of a large number of immigrants from the country in question live in the US (and are not marginalized people--ie are not all poor).  We don't have a large Icelandic immigrant community in the US and the banks involved seem to be all European.  By the way, I don't agree with this news policy but it seems to be true across the board.  There are around 200 countries in the world and news happens in them all, all the time and just think of how many you have seen in the news in the last year.  And if there was an event in one that made the news how many of them do we even have enough of an historical context of to understand it?  The news in the US is very US centric,  much more so than in any other country.  This does not make for an informed citizenry or good foreign policy.  It helps explain why Americans always seem surprised by what happens in the world and often have a different initial response than our allies.

Pandabonium's picture
Pandabonium

DavidLachman is quite correct.  The USA is focused on its own navel.  The rest of world is supposed to be focused on the USA, not the other way around.

A media bubble surrounds the US to shield it from alien news and points of view.  (Sort of like Control's  "cone of silence" in the old TV show Get Smart.)    Greece is another country that should be in the news.   One by one, they  will go down, but we don't want Americans thinking that it could happen in the USA, do we?  Ins't their some big football event coming up?  Let's cover that instead.  Meanwhile, there is hope and change and stuff in DC.  Don't worry, be happy....

gregroberts's picture
gregroberts

Iceland news, without the internet we would not have a clue about what's going on in the rest of the world,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1126682/Icelandic-gove...

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssFinancialServicesAndRealEstateNews/id...

Greg

dchrys's picture
dchrys

Dear Pandabonium,
as I live in Greece, I have something to say about the US/UK media spotlight to Greece and other southern Eurozone countries. 

There is always an urge to show every negative headline about the weakest link of euro countries, as the euro is rival currency to the dollar and the british pound. I was watching BBC World one or two weeks ago (in english) and saw that they have removed the British Pound / Euro rate from the slide altogether (!) to avoid full-screen showing of  the all-time-low of 1.06 - all the other rates were there (Yen, Dollar e.t.c.). 

IMHO, you are naive to believe that Greece, being the weakest link, will "go down". The banks here are all profitable as they enjoy huge profit margins many years now. People live "smaller" lives in every aspect compared to the Western countries and do not like being in debt. Myself, living in a small appartment up the hill in the suburbs of Athens, I have access to public transportation, local grocery and food market within 500 meters and I can walk my son to school every day if I have to. 

In a nutshell, the national economy may "go down" but the coutry will not. We have seen worse.

-=dchrys=-

KKPSTEIN's picture
KKPSTEIN

One of the members on here, Warren_C posted this link previously for a blog that shares what is going on right now in Iceland.  It has been translated into English:

http://newsfrettir.com/alive/

Some of the older entries are more interesting.  It is a way to find out what is going on in Iceland - Info that mainstream media is not covering.

RubberRims's picture
RubberRims

We should all think about the fragility balance between government and the welfare of it's county.      

Government has been acting irresponsibly with our money for to long, and using the wealth of a country to gamble in the global economy. NOW WE ARE ALL POWERLESS TO ACT. Now it is to late, the damage has been done.

Iceland protest january 24 2009 Reykjavik

db's picture
db
KKPSTEIN wrote:

One of the members on here, Warren_C posted this link previously for a blog that shares what is going on right now in Iceland.  It has been translated into English:

http://newsfrettir.com/alive/

Some of the older entries are more interesting.  It is a way to find out what is going on in Iceland - Info that mainstream media is not covering.

She also translates Icelandic news to English on the main website.

http://newsfrettir.com/ 

db

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments