I just got stopped by a cop....

177 posts / 0 new
Last post
LogansRun's picture
LogansRun
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Mar 18 2009
Posts: 1444
I just got stopped by a cop....

As most of you know, I live in an affluent suburb in N. VA (about 35 miles from DC).  While coming back from dropping my daughter at school (I took her to lunch), I come to a line of stopped vehicles with 3 Sheriffs at the head stopping both directions asking people for their drivers licenses.  As I crept up I didn't budge to grab mine (unlike EVERYONE in front of me who had theirs out and handed to them without ANY questioning nor concern).  When I stopped here's the conversation.

Me:  "What's going on"?

Officer:  "We're just checking for ID.  Can you get your license out?"

Me:  "What for?"

Officer:  "Do you have a problem with this?"

Me:  "Is this even Constitutional?  Do you actually have the right to just stop me for no reason and ask for my ID?"  ]

Officer:  "Do you have it?"

Me:  "Sure!  Would you like to see my papers as well since this country seems to have become a police state?"

Officer:  "If you have a problem with this you can contact the Attorney General of the Commonwealth"

Me:  "This absolutely disgusts me.  You should all be ashamed of yourselves."  

I hand him my license, he looks at it and says "have a nice day".

Me:  "You know, this is absolute Bullsh*t!"

Officer:  "Watch your language!"

Me:  "I don't have to."  

And drove away watching in the rear view mirror, the rest of the sheeple  with their licenses in hand waiting to give to the officers.

First, is this even legal?  Second, if I had said "no" what would have happened?  Just wondering as I have a feeling this isn't the last time I'll see or experience this, and I want to be prepared to go the distance.  I'm going to be contacting my attorney to discuss this and get a game plan together but wanted to hear your reactions, comments, advice.  Please don't tell me to "just do as they say" as I'm not going to unless it's the law.  Even then, if my attorney and I feel it's going against my Constitutional Rights I may just take it to the system and see if we can win.  What the hell, it's only money!

I will say I drove away so GOSH DANG ANGRY!  Still am!  It's only been 40 minutes ago but I'm still shaking with anger!  

 

 

?  He said, "we're just checking for ID.  Can you get your license out"?  I said "what for?"  He went onto say "Do you have a problem with this?"  A 

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 10 2008
Posts: 1995
Re: I just got stopped by a cop....

LogansRun - you were stopped for your own good, to protect us from terrorists.  Don't forget, we have to be willing to give up our freedoms in order to protect them.

Larry

rickets's picture
rickets
Status: Silver Member (Offline)
Joined: Jun 8 2009
Posts: 238
Re: I just got stopped by a cop....

Its totally legal for them to do checkpoints.  They legally perform drunk driving checkpoints.  If there is a crime in the area they can check id's in order to increase the chances of catching the suspect. 

Its not like they were doing a search of your private residence - or even your car -  you were on a public road (well, I assume you were).  When using public areas you dont have the privacy laws protecting you that you do at home.

Perhaps it would be easier for you to get behind the cops here if you knew someone had just abducted a child from your daughters school - perhaps their efforts would be more appreciated?  Lots of scenarios that could justify simply asking for your id - without any search of private property

 

Ready's picture
Ready
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Dec 30 2008
Posts: 917
Re: I just got stopped by a cop....

Logan,

I would be p****d off too. Would love to know what they were looking for.

We had a situation about a month ago that made me and hour late for work where every major intersection and several minor ones were blocked by every form of law enforcement - later that morning the news described a fugitive who had raped a young girl and was chased from the house in the area and was being hunted down. They got him later that morning.

During the process, folks were made to open trunks, etc but no one was asked for ID as far as I know. After I learned the details, I was OK with the police presence, but it is definately a fine line.

If there was nothing in particular that was causing the police to stop folks in your case, it is not right. I hope you later today learn why it happened and are OK with it if still a bit purturbed. If not, I would love to hear what your lawyer says and where this goes for you.

I would have done the same thing you did.

Davos's picture
Davos
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Sep 17 2008
Posts: 3620
Re: I just got stopped by a cop....

BS! We get looted. 105 Repos. Our dollar devalues - and the law checks drivers licenses. 

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Mar 18 2009
Posts: 1444
Re: I just got stopped by a cop....

I'll never get behind the cops when they have NO reason to intrude on my privacy.  Yes, it was a public road but unless they have a valid reason for stopping me it shouldn't happen.  Now, if the police officer had said "there's been an abduction of a small child and we're checking for info" then I'd be MUCH MORE understanding.  But in this case, it was "we're checking ID's".  

Rickets, sounds like you're going to be the perfect citizen while they're checking your "Papers", scanning your wrist (chip) or scanning your retina to see if you've taken your vaccine yet.  It actually makes me just as angry to read your post and position on this matter as it did to answer the cop.  

 

rickets wrote:

Its totally legal for them to do checkpoints.  They legally perform drunk driving checkpoints.  If there is a crime in the area they can check id's in order to increase the chances of catching the suspect. 

Its not like they were doing a search of your private residence - or even your car -  you were on a public road (well, I assume you were).  When using public areas you dont have the privacy laws protecting you that you do at home.

Perhaps it would be easier for you to get behind the cops here if you knew someone had just abducted a child from your daughters school - perhaps their efforts would be more appreciated?  Lots of scenarios that could justify simply asking for your id - without any search of private property

 

nickbert's picture
nickbert
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Jan 14 2009
Posts: 1208
Re: I just got stopped by a cop....

I concur with Ready, there are some exceptional circumstances where checkpoints are justified IMO.  However from the description of this case, if they were just looking at ID's (not looking for something or someone in particular... abducted child, escaped prisoner, murder suspect, etc.) then it sounds more like an exercise with no purpose other than training and practice.  Or possibly to 'acclimate' the local residents to such things, as LR alludes to in the original post (sounds like it might be working too).  I'm of the mind that LE has to present a valid, direct reason for random traffic stops and checkpoints, not just "we're just checking ID's".  Rickets has a good point that sometimes they do have legitimate reasons for doing so, but to be honest some of the time LE does it just because they can, and when they do that we should call them on that BS.  In the past I've had several encounters with police asking me for ID or making other demands without good reason, and when I (respectfully) question the reason or legal justification for doing so I'd say about half would get very irritated.  Authority and power can definitely be a drug for some people, and turns them into the worst kind of bullies.  I'm not so sure I could get away with that so easily anymore... questioning authority in general seems to involve a lot more risk and/or personal inconvenience nowadays.

- Nickbert

jneo's picture
jneo
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Jan 7 2009
Posts: 742
Re: I just got stopped by a cop....

 

You should of asked him for his ID and papers.  

rickets's picture
rickets
Status: Silver Member (Offline)
Joined: Jun 8 2009
Posts: 238
Re: I just got stopped by a cop....

Logan - I respect the fact my post made you just as angry as the cop.  I also know that there is some small % of government employees who abuse powers just like private ones do.

I write the following post as a wake up call to you, and to many others on this site - not because I know anything about you nor could possible know if you need a wake up call - - -but rather I was going down a death doom negative glass half empty world is ending path for a long time and wish someone would have given me a slap and said lighten up!  So, I write this just in case you might be finding yourself depressed or sad and constantly research end times, nwo...etc like I was! 

Now, I know I might be wrong thinking their is nothing wrong with what the cops did, but my downside is still being fully prepared for the worst, while remaining happy and not angry at the little things that are around me - rather grateful and positive.

While I learn a ton from this site and the forums, I find it a burden to comment and read as well.  Why?  Because I like to surround myself with both impressive people who I can learn and absorb from - - -AND optimistic/positive people.  The CM community, while extremely intelligent, forward looking, rational...etc - is about the most negative glass half empty group I have ever been around.  Makes me want to slit my wrists hanging out here!  Seriously folks, the cops likely had dang good reason to ask for ID in order to help the greater good.   Sure, there is a 5% chance (likely less) that it was something other than an effort to keep the community safe.  But, man, dont we want to give them the benefit of the doubt when talking about something as small as this?   Its like me meeting you Logan, and saying Hi, whats your name....and you responding "none of your business."  Why sweat the small stuff when there is strong probability that it had good intent (ID check), when there are so many more important things to both worry about and also to be grateful for?  Do you get mad if you walk in a bar and they ask for ID?  Why would you right?  Why get mad if you have no idea why a cop is asking - perhaps there was a serious crime or they were training how to handle a situation.  Why get so angry about people training or attempting to help you when there was no search, no pat down, no harm done other than a couple minute delay.  Gotta relax my man....gotta relax.  They are not out to get us.

Lighten up end of world dooomsdayers!  I was one of you....but -   those cops didnt know the Rothschild family nor are they secret Obama new world order vacine producing killers.  They are our friends out to make a living for their families by serving the community.  Sure, their bloated union salaries are too high, but comon....lets stay positive and rational...this is totally absurd.  Really, take a deep breath....

 

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Status: Martenson Brigade Member (Offline)
Joined: Jan 4 2009
Posts: 2606
Re: I just got stopped by a cop....

Logan -

Not to pick a fight but rickets made a very good point.  There may have been a good reason for the ID check.  Why do think you are entitled to an explanation?  How much time would be lost if the police had to explain the reason for the stop to every person that drove up - just to make you feel good.  Enough time for a suspect to get farther away with someone's child.

I suspect the real reason you are still shaking with anger is because you are pissed off at yourself for complying instead of making the stand you advocate so loudly in these kinds of threads.

Your statement "the rest of the sheeple" is self-inclusive and pretty telling.

Davos's picture
Davos
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Sep 17 2008
Posts: 3620
Re: I just got stopped by a cop....

A long time ago I did a piece on optimism, pessimism, realism delusionalism & Dennis Kneale who professes to be an optimist. I'd differ with your assessment of the CM gang - I'd peg most everyone I encounter here as a realist.

Just to clarify:

  1. I'm optimistic some new energy will come out that will help us bridge peak oil - but if they created a Manhattan project and gave 13 trillion and promised another 15 trillion to the project I'd be more optimistic. But they didn't. Did they? No the same inept morons who blew up the economy with @ssinine financial weapons of mass destruction are now propping up Zombie banks.
  2. I'm optimistic the crash that is ensuing and is about as unavoidable as the housing bubble/credit bubble will normalize things - but I think it is going to be a Katrina road.

I'll try to dig up that piece. My wish is people would be more realistic. Optimism isn't pretending everything is okay when a $hit storm is coming at us. Delusional thinkers rarely fare well and they sure as heck don't promote change for the better. It is one reason I simply despise Dennis Kneale and CNBS.

Ready's picture
Ready
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Dec 30 2008
Posts: 917
Re: I just got stopped by a cop....
Dogs_In_A_Pile wrote:

Logan -

Not to pick a fight but rickets made a very good point.  There may have been a good reason for the ID check.  Why do think you are entitled to an explanation?  How much time would be lost if the police had to explain the reason for the stop to every person that drove up - just to make you feel good.  Enough time for a suspect to get farther away with someone's child.

Not sure how this can be taken any other way than picking a fight.

LogansRun wrote:

Me:  "What's going on"?

Officer:  "We're just checking for ID.  Can you get your license out?"

Me:  "What for?"

Officer:  "Do you have a problem with this?"

Last line could have just as easily been "There is a search underway for a recent felony in this area" or similar. Discussion now over and LESS time has been taken.

Besides, it's not like the cop is time slicing and is able to transport to the crime scene for the 5 extra seconds (to do "real work") it would have taken to ease concerns. He was going to be standing there regardless.

Rickets does have a point, so does Logan. I guess the issue is really what were the cops doing. If this was not related to a ciminal act in the vacinity, it is just wrong. The community needs to have the right to push back on cops who are "just following orders." A better cop would have diffused the situation quickly without rising blood pressures, IMO. Logan is within his right to expect a better response from a paid civil servant.

R

Davos's picture
Davos
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Sep 17 2008
Posts: 3620
Re: I just got stopped by a cop....
Dogs_In_A_Pile wrote:

Logan -

Not to pick a fight but rickets made a very good point.  There may have been a good reason for the ID check.  Why do think you are entitled to an explanation?  How much time would be lost if the police had to explain the reason for the stop to every person that drove up - just to make you feel good.  Enough time for a suspect to get farther away with someone's child.

I suspect the real reason you are still shaking with anger is because you are pissed off at yourself for complying instead of making the stand you advocate so loudly in these kinds of threads.

Your statement "the rest of the sheeple" is self-inclusive and pretty telling.

Dogs, I agree there could be a good reason. And I agree the LEO was doing his job. But the fact I don't agree on is: I've been robbed, my kids were robbed and their kids were robbed. Trillions were taken from us. I could post at least 6 articles I have read this month where LE is doing routine stops and added traffic ticketing to increase revenue shortfalls. 

Also, when you are stopped it is an arrest - LogansRun was NOT free to exercise his (edit: freedom) I have an issue with that if it is NOT for an acceptable cause, and picking up dead tags or inspections to cover tax revenue short falls is BS. 

Where is Fuld? Geithner? Stephen Friedman? Or the folks doing God's work (which is paying themselves 100 cents on the dollar of something worthless)?

Come on! If they were doing the perp walk I'd stop every time I saw him a cop and show him my ID and everything else. This isn't a democracy(edit republic) that you served for. I'm just being realistic. Correct me if I'm wrong, I certainly respect you point of view but I'm with LR on this BS. 

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Mar 18 2009
Posts: 1444
Re: I just got stopped by a cop....

I disagree wholeheartedly on the point that the police shouldn't have to state a reason for stopping me and asking for ID.  It's just as much MY TIME and MY ROAD as it is theirs.  And it would have taken zero time for them to say "there's someone loose and we need to get him".  That's a lame excuse IMO.  And no I'm not mad at myself at all.  I'm mad at the stance that the officer made as well as his attitude that he can tell me how to act, what to say, and where to go at any time....that's NOT his job.

As for being depressed and/or obsessed with the NWO/tptb/etc.....not at all.  In fact, I spend very little time looking info up in comparison to taking care of my family, house, pets, etc......I'm a very well balanced person and very well prepared as well.  AND if you did know me, known to be EXTREMELY HAPPY.

Doug's picture
Doug
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Oct 1 2008
Posts: 3176
Re: I just got stopped by a cop....

I take it you're not black or hispanic.  If you were and decided to play your little game, you'd probably be sitting in jail with a fair number of bruises and scrapes.  Consider yourself lucky.

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 11 2009
Posts: 2240
Re: I just got stopped by a cop....
Davos wrote:

My wish is people would be more realistic. Optimism isn't pretending everything is okay when a $hit storm is coming at us. Delusional thinkers rarely fare well and they sure as heck don't promote change for the better. 

Word.  Optimism is seeing the sh!tstorm and thinking "Y'know what?  I can get through this (with thoughtful prep & effort & maybe some luck)."

And rickets, if you think this community is nothing but gloom you should check out some other online communities that wrestle with these issues.  Sure, there are some members here that seem to live in a perpetual Fight or Flight state, but IME the vast majority are thoughtfully and actively engaging the challenges we're facing.  Just one man's opinion.

Ai-ight.  Gotta get in the shower.  Out for birthday dinner tonight with mah honey!

Viva -- Sager

nickbert's picture
nickbert
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Jan 14 2009
Posts: 1208
Re: I just got stopped by a cop....
Doug wrote:

I take it you're not black or hispanic.  If you were and decided to play your little game, you'd probably be sitting in jail with a fair number of bruises and scrapes.  Consider yourself lucky.

So you're saying we should be considering ourselves lucky to suffer a small injustice, simply because it didn't happen to be a bigger injustice?  That is really messed up.... the fact that a bigger evil exists doesn't make a lesser evil something to be thankful for.  And maybe it was just the way I read your words, but the "play your little game" part seems to be rather snide or condescending, as if wanting to know your rights and practice them is in some way stupid or childish.

- Nickbert

JAG's picture
JAG
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Oct 26 2008
Posts: 2492
Re: I just got stopped by a cop....

LR,

I know from many similar experiences how angry a "joe blow" cop exercising his "authority" can make you, but I would never voice my anger about it here. If I could buy you a beer from way over here in Texas I would, but this will have to do....

I know its been a bad day for you, but hey, its Friday.

Davos,

I'm sorry but bringing monetary policy into this conversation is a bit of a stretch. If a city or county needs to boost traffic ticket revenue to make ends meet, they can certainly do that with just traffic tickets, no need for a "checkpoint Charlie".

 

 

goes211's picture
goes211
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 18 2008
Posts: 1114
Re: I just got stopped by a cop....
nickbert wrote:
Doug wrote:

I take it you're not black or hispanic.  If you were and decided to play your little game, you'd probably be sitting in jail with a fair number of bruises and scrapes.  Consider yourself lucky.

So you're saying we should be considering ourselves lucky to suffer a small injustice, simply because it didn't happen to be a bigger injustice?  That is really messed up.... the fact that a bigger evil exists doesn't make a lesser evil something to be thankful for.  And maybe it was just the way I read your words, but the "play your little game" part seems to be rather snide or condescending, as if wanting to know your rights and practice them is in some way stupid or childish.

- Nickbert

I did not take it that way.  I think doug may have been pointing out how those with power sometimes abuse that power.

strabes's picture
strabes
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 7 2009
Posts: 1032
Re: I just got stopped by a cop....

glad Doug brought up the minority issue.  here's what one had to say:

Martin Luther King wrote:

One of the great liabilities of history is that all too many people fail to remain awake…

Every society has its protectors of the status quo and its fraternities of the indifferent who are notorious for sleeping through revolutions. But today our very survival depends on our ability to stay awake, to adjust to new ideas, to remain vigilant and to face the challenge of change.

So rather than being passive and thanking God he's white, thereby joining the "fraternities of the indifferent," I think Logan is beginning to answer MLK's call because he's now feeling a bit of it himself.  That's the power of the oppressed...they challenge middle class whites to step up and face their own oppression.

I'm also surprised here to see so many defenders of what the Ivy Leaguers in black robes have come to define as our rights vs. govt powers.  For all the criticism of Ivy's on this site, which I agree with, many apparently think the Ivy's redefinition of the Constitution is right on.

These checkpoints are happening all the time now...claiming this was just one incident that they must have had a legit reason for means you're not paying attention to the broader picture.  Let's see what else...they're doing involuntary cheek swabs, taking blood without warrant, taking urine via involuntary catheter insertion, doing naked scans in airports, announcing they can assassinate, there are eagle eye cameras in all 4 directions at most intersections.  Just being awake, noticing those facts, and mentioning them is "being negative"??  Having made a couple 1000+ mile interstate trips this month, it's obvious the police are out in full force with new quotas to bag people, and it's obvious weigh stations are being converted into checkpoints if you just notice all the hardware being built over the highways at every single station.  The strategic picture is clear.  I just can't figure out why it seems the only person to notice is Alex Jones who either suffers from hysteria or is a super good actor.  One side effect of that is that most reasonable people understandably doubt everything he says and immediately reject anybody who mentions something similar...hmm.

And the little guy's excuse of "just doing my job man...give a guy a break" is wearing thin.

Doug's picture
Doug
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Oct 1 2008
Posts: 3176
Re: I just got stopped by a cop....
Quote:

I think doug may have been pointing out how those with power sometimes abuse that power.

Upon reflection, I think I was making two somewhat contradictory points.  First, I have seen minorities abused by cops for little or no reason.  Second, those cops are just people doing their jobs.  I seriously doubt the ones at the traffic stop decided to do it on their own out of pure meanness.  They were ordered to do it.  Why make their day  more difficult.

I will note that since all municipalities are facing financial problems, there are a lot more speed traps around.  It's a source of revenue, we may as well get used to it.

Doug

Davos's picture
Davos
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Sep 17 2008
Posts: 3620
Re: I just got stopped by a cop....
JAG wrote:

LR,

I know from many similar experiences how angry a "joe blow" cop exercising his "authority" can make you, but I would never voice my anger about it here. If I could buy you a beer from way over here in Texas I would, but this will have to do....

I know its been a bad day for you, but hey, its Friday.

Davos,

I'm sorry but bringing monetary policy into this conversation is a bit of a stretch. If a city or county needs to boost traffic ticket revenue to make ends meet, they can certainly do that with just traffic tickets, no need for a "checkpoint Charlie".

 

 

They do these in VA. The number of drivers who get dinged for dead tags, dead inspections, and not carrying a license is astonishing. In Charlottesville I prefer the way they do it: Bike cop in the shopping lots. First it doesn't make me late for an appointment, it doesn't back up traffic, it doesn't cause an accident and it keeps crime down.

Davos's picture
Davos
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Sep 17 2008
Posts: 3620
Re: I just got stopped by a cop....

I would not be surprised if LogansRun's roadblock didn't generate more fines and revenue than the probable slap on the wrist Friedman may get. Accept it or not - there are two sets of laws on the books. One for those who write the laws and one for the common folks. Google magnetometers and Congressional aids +Congressmen. We get radiated naked and these morons loot trillions for people professing to be doing God's work and waltz through security mesures so they can pass health care that we have to have and they don't have to partake in.

This is the reality of it.

Dear Chairman Bernanke:

 ...As you may recall, in the fall of 2008, at the height of the financial crisis, Mr. Stephen Friedman served both as a member of the Board of Directors of Goldman Sachs and as Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York (New York Fed). In September 2008, Goldman Sachs converted from an investment bank into a bank holding company, making the New York Fed its primary regulator. At the time of the conversion, Mr. Friedman owned approximately 46,000 shares in Goldman.

 Notably, under a long-standing policy of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (Federal Reserve), Mr. Friedman was prohibited from owning shares of any company under the supervision of the Federal Reserve. Despite the clear prohibition and apparent conflict of interest, Mr. Friedman requested a waiver from the Board of Governors in Washington and was allowed to continue serving as chairman, in direct violation of Fed policy, until a decision on the waiver was made.

 In the meantime, on December 17, 2008, despite the prohibition, Mr. Friedman bought an additional 37,000 shares of Goldman Sachs, a company that was under the supervision at the New York Fed. A waiver was granted by the Board of Governors on January 21, 2009.

 It is also noteworthy that at the time of Mr. Friedman's dual role, the New York Fed was actively considering the possibility of paying tens of billions of dollars in taxpayer funding to AIG's credit default swap counterparties, including Goldman. In Goldman's case, this counterparty payment was made in November of 2008 and it amounted to roughly $13 billion, courtesy of the American taxpayer.

....

cookstove's picture
cookstove
Status: Member (Offline)
Joined: Mar 9 2009
Posts: 15
Re: I just got stopped by a cop....

"A Powell (WY) woman has filed a federal civil rights lawsuit alleging that police used excessive force in breaking down her door, setting off an explosive that started a fire and using her as a “human shield” while searching her home for illegal drugs."

http://www.billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/wyoming/article_b4883a04-3249-11df-a233-001cc4c002e0.html

I'm hearing about more and more of this crap...

strabes's picture
strabes
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 7 2009
Posts: 1032
Re: I just got stopped by a cop....
doug wrote:

I will note that since all municipalities are facing financial problems, there are a lot more speed traps around.  It's a source of revenue, we may as well get used to it.

I love it.  Put up with more police action because your states are hostage to debt-based money.  As the debt deflates, even though everyone will be losing money, you have no option but to be happy that your governments will be forcibly taking even more from you because they've lost their sovereignty to the bond market and private bondholders. 

Why not just fix the money issue instead of accepting it as a given? 

www.swarmusa.org

Ready's picture
Ready
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Dec 30 2008
Posts: 917
Re: I just got stopped by a cop....
strabes wrote:

www.swarmusa.org

Strabes, what is this? The link must be broken...

strabes's picture
strabes
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 7 2009
Posts: 1032
Re: I just got stopped by a cop....

oops.  it's .com.  pretty bad when I can't even plug initiatives I'm involved with.

www.swarmusa.com.

 

SingleSpeak's picture
SingleSpeak
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Dec 1 2008
Posts: 506
Re: I just got stopped by a cop....

Being stopped just because the police know that at any given time there is always a small percentage of drivers that are breaking the law drives me nuts. My time is extremely valuable and not only are they using my time without probable cause, but they are also being paid by me through tax revenue to waste my time. It's double jeopardy.

In my area in southern California, I have been been caught in these DUI traps 3 times within the last year. One line was more than an hour, the other 2 were each more than 15 minutes. No wonder it seems everyone here wants to move to Texas.

The idea of giving up basic freedoms for security doesn't fly with me. As several posts have mentioned, when there is cause, I have no problem with being stopped. Let's face it, we lose our freedoms bit by bit. At some point, and everyone will have to decide this point for himself, we just want to be left alone as long as we're not hurting anyone.

SS

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Dec 27 2008
Posts: 1200
Re: I just got stopped by a cop....
rickets wrote:

Its totally legal for them to do checkpoints.  They legally perform drunk driving checkpoints.  If there is a crime in the area they can check id's in order to increase the chances of catching the suspect. 

Its not like they were doing a search of your private residence - or even your car -  you were on a public road (well, I assume you were).  When using public areas you dont have the privacy laws protecting you that you do at home.

Perhaps it would be easier for you to get behind the cops here if you knew someone had just abducted a child from your daughters school - perhaps their efforts would be more appreciated?  Lots of scenarios that could justify simply asking for your id - without any search of private property

 

Ahh, we have to give up our liberties in order to keep society safe. Bull. 

Rickets,  "Safe neighborhoods"? If that's the case then just go to jail. You're fed, housed, and protected. 

Please stop with the "do it for the children" nonsense. It's an emotional thought blocker. The only way to 100% guarantee protection of all children is to turn this nation into a police state. And even that won't work. 

The Soviet Union had child murderers too. 

You're attitude affects me. I have a problem with that. 

I have NO respect for authority. Let's make that clear. I have DEEP reverence for just law. I wish people just knew the difference between the two. 

ao's picture
ao
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 4 2009
Posts: 2220
Re: I just got stopped by a cop....

The fact of the matter is, in isolation, this event is not that big a thing like Rickets said.  But to be honest, I would probably react very similar to LR.  The officer could have given a brief explanation that would have taken very little time and would have helped on the community relations side.  The "Do you have a problem with this?" statement, however, is the typical power play that a cop who got into the profession for all the wrong reason will pull.

Out of isolation, however, this type of event is becoming more and more common.  If we continue to aquiesce, we are complicit with the loss of liberty, justice, and privacy that is infesting this nation.  For those who have eyes to see and ears to hear, if you deny the downhill slide, you're a fool in my book.  They're persecuting and bleeding the middle class and allowing the economic/political elite to run amuck, destroying our country and the fabric of our society.

In so far as Rickets' statement about the negativity on this site, I would disagree with him.  With the except of a few whose names I won't mention here, I get the sense that most of the individuals here are, at heart, very positive people.  I know I am.  I go on with my life, do a lot of good in my life, keep an upbeat and positive attitude, and have a very happy and productive existence.  But I'm also a realist as I think are most of the other folks on this site, and that realistic appraisal of what is going on in the world demands awareness, vigilance, and ultimately, action.

At some point, one has to draw a line in the sand and begin questioning, passively resisting, and eventually actively opposing those who would take away all that is good to satiate their own selfish interests.  Whether it's a lowly cop or a Wall Street/Washington titan, if we don't stop them, no one else will.  And the longer we allow them to get away with what they're doing, the more bold and brash they become, the more difficult it becomes to stop them, and the greater the destruction that will ensue when confrontation finally comes.  

 

MarkM's picture
MarkM
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Jul 22 2008
Posts: 849
Re: I just got stopped by a cop....
strabes wrote:

glad Doug brought up the minority issue.  here's what one had to say:

Martin Luther King wrote:

One of the great liabilities of history is that all too many people fail to remain awake…

Every society has its protectors of the status quo and its fraternities of the indifferent who are notorious for sleeping through revolutions. But today our very survival depends on our ability to stay awake, to adjust to new ideas, to remain vigilant and to face the challenge of change.

So rather than being passive and thanking God he's white, thereby joining the "fraternities of the indifferent," I think Logan is beginning to answer MLK's call because he's now feeling a bit of it himself.  That's the power of the oppressed...they challenge middle class whites to step up and face their own oppression.

I'm also surprised here to see so many defenders of what the Ivy Leaguers in black robes have come to define as our rights vs. govt powers.  For all the criticism of Ivy's on this site, which I agree with, many apparently think the Ivy's redefinition of the Constitution is right on.

These checkpoints are happening all the time now...claiming this was just one incident that they must have had a legit reason for means you're not paying attention to the broader picture.  Let's see what else...they're doing involuntary cheek swabs, taking blood without warrant, taking urine via involuntary catheter insertion, doing naked scans in airports, announcing they can assassinate, there are eagle eye cameras in all 4 directions at most intersections.  Just being awake, noticing those facts, and mentioning them is "being negative"??  Having made a couple 1000+ mile interstate trips this month, it's obvious the police are out in full force with new quotas to bag people, and it's obvious weigh stations are being converted into checkpoints if you just notice all the hardware being built over the highways at every single station.  The strategic picture is clear.  I just can't figure out why it seems the only person to notice is Alex Jones who either suffers from hysteria or is a super good actor.  One side effect of that is that most reasonable people understandably doubt everything he says and immediately reject anybody who mentions something similar...hmm.

And the little guy's excuse of "just doing my job man...give a guy a break" is wearing thin.

"He was just doing his job."

"He had no choice."

"If you are not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to fear."

"Consider yourself lucky it was just a catheter in your urethra not a baton in your anus."

All signposts on the slippery slope to tyranny.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments