I just can't believe that our economy will collapse that bad

49 posts / 0 new
Last post
etsan's picture
etsan

I've been reading a lot of posts lately and I do agree that we need to do some preparations just in case. However, I just can't believe that our economy will be so bad that it will be similar to that of a third world country (e.g. zimbawe). A lot of posts here suggest that we need to be prepared for the worst as if its gonna be more worst than the Great Depression. Is this for real? Do we really need to worry for food shortage? Do we really need to be carrying guns? Can't I just do a 1-3 month preparation and then things will be back to somewhat normal or even a little less than normal in that time frame? I'm thinking maybe our economy would just end more similar to that of Japan. In Japan you can still buy water, food, and things are still running even though the economy is not great. What do you guys think? Is it gonna get that bad?

Thanks.

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
Re: I just can't believe that our economy will collapse ...

Hi estan. Welcome.

I hear what your saying. I think you should watch the Crash Course which is available on this site for free. At least watch the first 10. I think that may put things into a more clear perspective about what is currently happening and why people on this site feel the way they do. Chris makes the point that the next 20 years will not be like the last 20.

How bad will it get? Who knows? But keep human nature in mind when you think about a severe down turn in this country. We have generations of people who expect and feel entitled to this current standard of living. What will happen when the rug is pulled out from under them?

Tycer's picture
Tycer

If you prepare for a common six month event like job loss or injury with rehab you'll be 90% ready for anything longer. I don't think it's healthy to focus or worry about too much longer than that where you are in your thought process.

I like what Chris says about figuring out where YOU think the chips are gonna fall and take proper action to insure that you have done as much preparation as you see fit. Decide whether you think this is going to be a high probability/low impact event or a low probability/high impact event or somewhere in between. 

Just from your post today, you believe that there will be some sort of event. Start preparing. Don't wallow in trying to figure out how bad it will be. Start with one month's preps, then three, then keep going as you see fit. Don't forget to prep for the potential devaluation of the dollar at whatever level you see fit.

I moved most of my retirement pittance into consumables that I will use over the next 20 years, gold and silver. My wife converted 5% of hers into gold and silver. That's all she's comfortable with right now. I wish she would do more, but peace in the home is more valuable than $$ so I stay zip-lipped. 

Good luck!

Davos's picture
Davos
etsan wrote:

I've been reading a lot of posts lately and I do agree that we need to do some preparations just in case. However, I just can't believe that our economy will be so bad that it will be similar to that of a third world country (e.g. zimbawe). A lot of posts here suggest that we need to be prepared for the worst as if its gonna be more worst than the Great Depression. Is this for real? Do we really need to worry for food shortage? Do we really need to be carrying guns? Can't I just do a 1-3 month preparation and then things will be back to somewhat normal or even a little less than normal in that time frame? I'm thinking maybe our economy would just end more similar to that of Japan. In Japan you can still buy water, food, and things are still running even though the economy is not great. What do you guys think? Is it gonna get that bad?

Thanks.

Hello Etsan:

We have a leadership deficit as David Walker would say. When you see the people who blew up the economy reappointed to fix it you have a problem. When they implement the same procedures that blew it up and call it a fix you have an even bigger problem. When the leaders focus on health care, and other taxes it doesn't take a jet propulsion scientist to figure the outcome.

I'd encourage you to read up on the Mexico Pesos crisis AND especially Argentina's Peso crisis. Google bank holidays down there, riots, robberies and food shortages there as well. If you aren't my generation you might want to talk to folks who had to contend with gas lines, odd even days during the 1970s.

History and scares of past: I prepped for y2k, nothing happened. We cycled through most of our rations, learned heating by wood was super, and when a surprise hurricane nailed us for a week our neighbors dropped off their pets and freezer food and drove hours to relatives while we remained on generator power.  I think prepping for y2k I spent 4k on a wood stove (I used metalbestos flu and built a loft above it) and about 2k for a generator and gen transfer switch and we probably stashed about 400 bucks in a 400 buck freezer. Nothing went to waste, if I had not sold that house I'd have been paid back the energy/heating.

Don't prepare and nothing happens and you saved a few hundred or a few thousand bucks. Prepare and nothing happens - eat the food, sell the wood stove and generator or solar array or just keep them. It really amounts to: Which is LESS of a risk? A few hundred or a few thousand bucks or winding up in some FEMA camp?

An economic Katrina would look a lot like Katrina. Think about our well meaning government during Katrina. F-Troop comes to mind, before, during and well after. Put smart people together and you end up with a bunch of idiots. That is a proven formula because most institutions don't have or know what guiding principles are. Add lobbyist to the equation and it becomes a nightmare.

Bottom line: I think the social fabric today is different than the 1930s. I know the US is insolvent. "If" they ditch the dollar we need to remember that we import 2/3rds of our oil, that oil is in everything, farming is petrochemical intensive, the average morsel of food travels 1,500 miles to get to our plate. Next year is a pivotal year. It will be an economic Katrina. There can be some surprises. Jim Chanos is a brilliant man, he thinks China is lying. That could have a huge impact on them ditching our dollar - or not. Basically it is now a race to see who s*cks the worst. We are well out in front sprinting toward the losers finish line.

I don't know how it will play out, but I'd be very surprised if we didn't have a global or nationwide economic Katrina. I have no faith in paper. I don't want to put my family in harms way, a few bucks spent now is cheap insurance. 

Ready's picture
Ready

Etsan,

The above comments are spot on.

For me, I have depenants and the thought of not preparing, given that I have been warned, does not fit with my belief system.

Additionally, I find that what lies ahead is not scary, and I have come to very much enjoy the process of becoming more self sufficent. Planting a garden, rasing chickens, becoming energy independent, etc. have actually been a rewarding process. While current events pushed me into this, if things suddenly improved I find it hard to believe that I would give up my new lifesyle. Lower consumption does not necessarily equal lower quality of life.

Best,

R

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M

Davos,

Thank you.
One of the best posts I've ever read on this site.
Cheers,

Aaron

guardia's picture
guardia
etsan wrote:

I'm thinking maybe our economy would just end more similar to that of Japan. In Japan you can still buy water, food, and things are still running even though the economy is not great. What do you guys think? Is it gonna get that bad?

IF America didn't have other problems than the economy, then yes I would say it might end up like Japan: not so bad at all. But you have to think about other things, factors of the new millennium: peak oil (looks more and more like we passed it), climate change (more and more destroyed harvests -> less food), world overpopulation (so less stuff you can import, like oil), shortage of vital material such as copper, etc.. Watch the Crash Course (again?) to fully appreciate it!

And don't worry, you are not alone. Hopefully, this Web site will become a nice community for you as well. Hang in there

Samuel

Davos's picture
Davos

Thanks for the kind words Aron, I'm glad Ready added the rewarding part I left out. Simple, for us has become a LOT better than buying what the TV told us to years ago.

Doug's picture
Doug

Davos

I uncharacteristically agree with Aaron.  Great post.

Doug

keelba's picture
keelba

There is no telling exactly what will happen in this country but you can look at very recent history to get a good example of what could happen by looking at one person's journal of life during the prolonged Argentine crisis:

http://www.silverbearcafe.com/private/10.08/tshtf1.html

I strongly recommend you read this and think of it as more of a worst case scenario, albeit a very real possibility of happening here. This only represents one possible outcome and I am not trying to say that this is our destiny too. Don't get so consumed by pessimism and fear that you cannot enjoy life in the meantime. Try to find a balance between preparing for any possible future and enjoying the good life today while you still have it. 

EndGamePlayer's picture
EndGamePlayer
Re: I can believe that our economy will collapse ...

however, that may or not be WHY I have become more self-reliant.

One reason I buy excess of what I need is because if today- I buy enough sugar to last me a year - I have often avoided inflationary living expense increases for a year.  So, IF the economy gets back into "growth" mode, I have won/saved; if not, then I have what I need. . .besides, I hate going to the store because I'm out of sugar or any other thing we use regularly.

EGP

JAG's picture
JAG

etsan,

Though I have a hard time visualizing an economic collapse in this country, I also have a hard time completely apprehending the incredible corruption that is taking place in our markets, economy, and government. The corruption that I'm aware of makes me physically ill, so I can't even imagine the scale of the corruption that is unseen. It is for this reason that I feel its important to prepare for the worst case scenario, which to me, means a whole new lifestyle.

Its a daunting task to rework one's lifestyle and I have a long ways to go, but each step that I have taken has been very liberating. Many people here in this community have been very inspiring to me personally. Thank you.

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M

Doug,

Miricles can happen ;)

Ready and Davos,

Some preparing transcendes time, contemporary issues, "Disaster of the Day" scares and returns us to our base.
It's gratifying in a way that has to be felt to be understood. It just enriches your life knowing you're not reliant on anyone you don't want to be reliant on.
You two really summed it up!

Keelba,

And Argentina had the luxurious advantage of being pieced out by Foreign Economic investment vultures who swooped in to take it over. That nation recovered entirely on investment dollars, mostly from the U.K., which is ironic. Why fight in the Falklands, when you can collapse and buy a nation?

If/When the U.S. economic system collapses, there is no one left in the world with big enough lungs to get us breathing again.

EGP,

I couldn't agree more. Nothing I've invested in has been a waste.
Every investment from Ammunition to Silver has appreciated. Even the building material is more expensive now.
Monetary value aside, these things have the added advantage of being utilitarian! We're turning dollars into useful, tangible assets.

What could be wrong with that?

This is a good discussion!
Cheers!

Aaron

anarkst's picture
anarkst

Estan writes:

It already has.  What you are witnessing now is the reaction to the collapse.  You have to recall that the monetary implosion has been fomenting since 1913, the 'economic meltdown' since the 1960's.  This is one of those deals in life where you have to figure it out for yourself.  Nobody knows what's going to happen, as there are infinite variables playing out.  The key is to be calm, remain as aware as you can, and you will be able to see and react (pro-act) to what's going on as it unfolds.  There is no escaping, as is the case for everything in life.   

GregSchleich's picture
GregSchleich

etsan,

Although this is by far my favorite website, I'm definitely at the extreme edge of the 'gloom and doom' continuum here - one of the few brave souls willing to contemplate the truly unthinkable - that life may actually continue much as normal for a lot longer than seems possibleWink

And so only with considerable trepidation (almost morbid curiosity, really) did I dare visit this thread. I was thinking you'd be needing therapy by now! But I have to say, I'm very pleasantly surprised. Excellent comments all. And I agree with the praise being heaped on Davos. What a great post!

So there's not much I need to add, but here's a thought; I think it was Mark Twain who said, "money can't buy happiness, but it sure calms the nerves." The same can be said for preparation.

Cheers

Greg

PS: So far so good, but you may need a stiff drink after a certain Australian permaculturist and Peak Oil expert named "DamnTheMatrix"  shows up!

hucklejohn's picture
hucklejohn

I appreciate all these good posts.  This is a little off topic but my belief is that the long term agenda of the Wall Street banksters and their allies is to suck America's wealth (both public & private) dry and then move on to somewhere else.   The Wall Street banksters "own" the legislative & executive branches of the federal government as well as (of course) the Federal Reserve.   With this understanding almost everything else, such as  the falling U. S. dollar & the expanding government deficits, falls into place. 

etsan's picture
etsan

Hello,

Thanks for all the great replies. Yes, I'm somewhat new to this site. I have watched the CC from Dr. Martenson and what is depicted in there is quite serious. I've also learned quite a bit of stuff since the time I've watched that video (9 months ago). Since watching that video I've put it onto myself to dig deeper and find out the truth. So far I've seen watched many documentaries including Freedom to Facism, The Obama Deception (although I'm still a lttle skeptical on some of the stuff in that video) and most importantly I'm currently reading G. Edward Griffin's The Creature from Jekyll Island (excellent book by the way). Watching these videos and reading this book has opened my eyes like never before. Thus, I do agree with JAG that there is a lot of corruption going on. Or at least a great deal of mismanagement in the US. I mean just look at the state of the US in regards to the eocnomy at this very moment. Piecing together all the information, I'm coming to the same conclusions like many of you. More importantly, I want to take care of my family and prepare them for the future just in case. I appreciate all the smart people in this community and I hope to learn from you guys as I'm still in the beginning stages of learning about how the world, money, governements, and economies operate.

Thanks!

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

estan - Welcome!

It sounds like you are bouncing between Bargaining and Acceptance on the Six Stage scale Chris refers to in Crash Course.  You seem to be well past the Denial phase and have figured out how to accomodate the occasional Anger/Depression phase(s).

Many of the other response posts have talked about doing "something".  Even making minimal preparations now puts you in a more responsive position should something happen. 

You are now at the hardest part - the first step.  Once you have figured in your mind what is the worst possible sequence of events, you can then build a plan of action going forward. 

The Self-Assessment (www.PeakProsperity.com/act) is a great place to start.  It will help frame in your mind where you are.  Once you have decided what you need to prepare for you can figure out where you need to be and can build a to do list of action items.  We covered the Self-Assessment and Tiered Action Item Planning process extensively at the Lowesville Seminar Chris and Becca did last April.

I would strongly recommend you go through the self-assessment and figure out what you think YOU need to do.  One of the themes that came up during the seminar was that all of us were in different places - both in what we thought was going to be the worst case scenario to prepare for and where each of was with respect to dealing with it.

Fell free to ask questions anytime - there is a supreb group of regulars here to lean on.  And just about all of us have a different view of things.  I have learned more than I ever thought I could have from these guys and gals. 

My wife and I now grow all of our vegetables in raised bed square foot garden beds - we learned about those here on CM.com.

Last September we arranged a food storage day with 9 other families and put almost 5 tons of wheat, rice, beans and oats into close to 300 5-gallon HDPE buckets.  We had a great time, we learned a lot, we tightened up a community of 20 plus people that we can all count on.  We also have 6 months of food stored that will last for close to 30 years - talk about a peace of mind insurance policy.  I can't tell you how much of a load gets lifted off your shoulders when you check something off your list and no longer have to 'worry' about it.  We learned about long term food storage here too.

One of the most important things we learned from the Lowesville Seminar that has been constantly reinforced through threads like this, is this: 

The single hardest step to accomplish in all of this is the very first thing you decide to do.  That could be something as 'easy' to do as taking some cash out of your bank account to have on hand or it could be as complex as installing a solar array and windmill to take your home completely off-grid.  The specifics of what you accomplish first are not as important as getting that first 'thing' done. 

Once that first item on your Action Item list is done, it's done.  You have taken that first, most difficult step towards preparation.  After that it gets easier - not necessarily easier in terms of cost or effort, but easier from a mentality approach.  You know you need to get something done that's on your list, you know you are capable of getting something on your list done because you did the first step so you just bear down and press on.

And then we get to welcome you to this growing on-line community and benefit from what you learned and did because you come back to the threads and share with us what you did!!  Cool

Here are a few links to other threads that might help out with your preps:

http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/food-storage-lessons-learned-and-recomendations/19518

http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/consolidated-list-links-existing-preparation-threads/27912

Welcome again - pull up a chair, roll up your sleeves and get busy.

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix
hucklejohn wrote:

I appreciate all these good posts.  This is a little off topic but my belief is that the long term agenda of the Wall Street banksters and their allies is to suck America's wealth (both public & private) dry and then move on to somewhere else.

They might even have enough money to escape the reformation and go to Mars......!  Wink

Good riddance too....

Mike

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Damnthematrix wrote:
hucklejohn wrote:

I appreciate all these good posts.  This is a little off topic but my belief is that the long term agenda of the Wall Street banksters and their allies is to suck America's wealth (both public & private) dry and then move on to somewhere else.

They might even have enough money to escape the reformation and go to Mars......!  Wink

Good riddance too....

Mike

Mike -

No way.  That's where they came from before they morphed into lizards.  Laughing

Stan Robertson's picture
Stan Robertson
Tycer wrote:

Don't forget to prep for the potential devaluation of the dollar at whatever level you see fit.

I moved most of my retirement pittance into consumables that I will use over the next 20 years, gold and silver. My wife converted 5% of hers into gold and silver. That's all she's comfortable with right now. I wish she would do more, but peace in the home is more valuable than $$ so I stay zip-lipped. 

Good luck!

I agree that gold and silver and perhaps other commodities would likely be good hedges against loss of value of the dollar. But, other than inflatiion, just how would a devaluation of the dollar be accomplished? What policy actions could be taken other than cranking up the printing press? The dollar already floats against other currencies, most of which are becoming just as stinky.

Stan 

nickbert's picture
nickbert
Damnthematrix wrote:
hucklejohn wrote:

Nope, I already called dibs on Mars.  Let them sweat their buns off on Venus... somehow a roasting environment with a mean temperature over 460 degrees Celsius seems more fitting anyway Tongue out

- Nickbert

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr

Dogs_In_A_Pile wrote:
Damnthematrix wrote:
hucklejohn wrote:

Good riddance too....

Mike

Mike -

No way.  That's where they came from before they morphed into lizards.  Laughing

DIAP, you make me laugh!  So glad you're here to do that!

Also, you and Cats kicked butt on the garden this year!  Wow!!  I am going to have to set aside some time to get caught up on the gardening and food preservation threads to see if I can pick up some lessons from you guys! 

Nickbert, you made me laugh too.  But I don't know how to do forked, nested responses!:)

And EndGamePlayer, silly question: how do you store your year's supply of sugar?  I'm curious if you've figured out a good type of container to protect it from mice, etc. (Good as in affordable, keeps out pests, and packs or stacks well, etc.)

Thanks!

pinecarr

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M

This is the kind of conversation I miss around here ;)
Good stuff all around. I even saw Dogs make a type... shhhh.

Pinecarr, thanks for the kind words!

Cheers!

Aaron

cowgap's picture
cowgap

Hi pinecarr

I have luck keeping mice out of sugar by picking up the large metal tins at thrift stores...the ones that hold the flavored popcorns.  They easily hold a 2 gallon zip bag of sugar.  The lids are tight and if moisture is not an issue, they seem to be mice proof.

cowgap

mooselick7's picture
mooselick7

I like this thread as well.

What lead me to this site is my work as in the Canadian oil sands.  All the major companies are spending BILLIONS in this region.  If you take into account all the infrastructure and supporting businesses behind the scenes, those billions would add up to close to a TRILLION.  The energy ROI depending on where and who is between 3 to 1 and 5 to 1.   The nawing question was: Why are we spending all that capital on such a low return?  Answer: oil reserves are running out.   

Next question:  Why are we at war with a dubious justification?  Answer: oil reserves are running out. 

Why did our economy crash in 2008?  Answer:  oil prices.  Oil fuels our economy.  Oil price volatility with oil reserves running out can be traced back to reduced supply because oil reserves are running out.

Take every news story out there, ask "WHY?" 5 times and I bet you will come the conclusion:  The root cause is oil reserves are running out.  

Just as a thought experiment think about this: Is it any coincedence that Nigeria is linked with terror in the news these days and Nigeria is a major oil exporter?

I think it is no coincedence.  I know it is a stretech but watch to see how it plays out.  I think we will see the trail leads to oil...

JAG's picture
JAG

I'm no longer worried about the economy collapsing....Taco Bell now has a "drive-thru diet" to make it easy for all of us to adhere to our New Year dietary resolutions. I've seen it all now....time to commit seppeku for my master....the corporation.

I would post a link but I think somebody might actually click it.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Aaron Moyer wrote:

I even saw Dogs make a type... shhhh.

I did not not make a typeo.........

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M

Supreb! ;)

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr

Aaron, you're welcomed! 

Cowgap, that's a great idea!  We have a local thrift shop; I'll go check and see if they have any of the large popcorn tins there.  Thanks for the tip!

Mooselick7, thanks for sharing your observations relating to your work in the Canadian oil sands; they are a real attention-getter!  And your conclusions about "why" such huge investments are being made sure seem to make sense.  I also know what you mean about asking "WHY?" anytime you hear a news story.  I find myself doing that all the time now.  It is a really strange turnaround when you go from taking "news" at face value (believing it without question), to questioning everything you hear, and wondering what the real truth and motivation behind the story is. 

JAG wrote:

I'm no longer worried about the economy collapsing....Taco Bell now has a "drive-thru diet" to make it easy for all of us to adhere to our New Year dietary resolutions. I've seen it all now....time to commit seppeku for my master....the corporation.

I would post a link but I think somebody might actually click it.

Hey JAG, you forgot the link!

...Jussst kidding!;)

-pinecarr

ckessel's picture
ckessel
Dogs_In_A_Pile wrote:
Aaron Moyer wrote:

I even saw Dogs make a type... shhhh.

I did not not make a typeo.........

Aaron,

I think DIAP has you in the crosshairs..... I believe this was your post  ....

"Miricles can happen ;)"Sealed

I make more than the two of you combined however so no worries!

Davos,

I also really appreciate your post and would like to reference it for the next Crash Course I will be doing on January 7th. I think it is a very spot on response to what most people new to the three E's experience. Thanks!

Coop

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments