I could have sworn I read this on here....

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
land2341's picture
land2341
Status: Gold Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 20 2009
Posts: 402
I could have sworn I read this on here....

I could have sworn that some time back some one posted a memo that showed that some of the larger banks actually were telling their top employees to prepare by buying land and supplies.

Can some one help me find that reference again??

land2341's picture
land2341
Status: Gold Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 20 2009
Posts: 402
Re: I could have sworn I read this on here....

38 people read this and no one remembers this??  There was an article in Market Watch that talked about the Happy Insiders getting ready for the crash to come,  then the memo was leaked and it got posted - for the life of me I cannot find it or any specific reference to it.

Davos's picture
Davos
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Sep 17 2008
Posts: 3620
Re: I could have sworn I read this on here....

I pour through 25 blogs a day and a few mainstream sites. I skim a lot unless it is an important/good read.

The only thing I recall are the folks professing to be doing God's work - that would be GS (Goldman Sachs). The 2 things I read was that they were packing guns, how they do that in NYC I don't know, and there was some mention that the executives weren't supposed to go out in herds.

Farmland? Sorry. Personally I doubt most of this profession of morons who blew up the economy with this credit bubble are smart enough to realize p-o'd people aren't going to be their only concern. Good!

land2341's picture
land2341
Status: Gold Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 20 2009
Posts: 402
Re: I could have sworn I read this on here....

I found a sort of reference in a opinion piece by Paul Farrell,  but that was it....  I know I read this because I was floored that they would create this disaster and position themselves to be safe during any upheaval and profit after.

I was looking for the back up.  

 

I also had an e-mail from a law firm vanish from my computer and was told by others that many firms are now putting poison pen bits of code in e-mails.  The idea is to avoid problems later from employees random messages out. When I pointed out that I had downloaded the e-mail the computer person told me that anyone with brains would have the code search for downloads or documents files.  This sounds too suspicious even for me,  but from a business perspective it does sort of make sense.  It avoids incriminating writing to bite them later.  Has anyone else heard of this??

joemanc's picture
joemanc
Status: Martenson Brigade Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 16 2008
Posts: 834
Re: I could have sworn I read this on here....

I think you were referring to the guns...

Quote:

“I just wrote my first reference for a gun permit,” said a friend, who told me of swearing to the good character of a Goldman Sachs Group Inc. banker who applied to the local police for a permit to buy a pistol. The banker had told this friend of mine that senior Goldman people have loaded up on firearms and are now equipped to defend themselves if there is a populist uprising against the bank.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601039&sid=ahD2WoDAL9h0

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 11 2009
Posts: 2252
Re: I could have sworn I read this on here....

I second Davos & Joemanc -- the only article I remember seeing that pings with what you're talking about is the one about the GS employees carrying guns.

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 11 2009
Posts: 2252
Re: I could have sworn I read this on here....

But then there's this:  (farmland & gold, from Dr. Doom) --

www.dailypaul.com/node/126722

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Dec 27 2008
Posts: 1200
Re: I could have sworn I read this on here....
land2341 wrote:

I could have sworn that some time back some one posted a memo that showed that some of the larger banks actually were telling their top employees to prepare by buying land and supplies.

Can some one help me find that reference again??

I distinctly remember it too, but can't put my finger on it.. Some establishment insider wrote a book warning his elitist buddies to buy ranches out west. Does that ring a bell? 

land2341's picture
land2341
Status: Gold Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 20 2009
Posts: 402
Re: I could have sworn I read this on here....

Yes Morpheus !!  That was it exactly,  and it wasn't Dr. Doom or Farrell I already have those,  those are both supposition - what I was reading was an insider.....

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Oct 22 2008
Posts: 2373
Re: I could have sworn I read this on here....

Good to know.
Hopefully the Populists will file this information away.

Cheers,

Aaron 

cmartenson's picture
cmartenson
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Jun 7 2007
Posts: 5975
Re: I could have sworn I read this on here....

Dipping into my memory banks I think you are referring to Barton Biggs, the guy who runs Traxis Partners and used to be a chief strategist for some big bank or other.

He said something to his clients and the world along the lines of buy farmland and guns a while back.  Kinda shocking from an establishment guy like that.

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Dec 27 2008
Posts: 1200
Re: I could have sworn I read this on here....
cmartenson wrote:

Dipping into my memory banks I think you are referring to Barton Biggs, the guy who runs Traxis Partners and used to be a chief strategist for some big bank or other.

He said something to his clients and the world along the lines of buy farmland and guns a while back.  Kinda shocking from an establishment guy like that.

BINGO

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Dec 27 2008
Posts: 1200
Re: I could have sworn I read this on here....

http://www.georgewashington2.blogspot.com/2010/01/barton-biggs-1-in-10-chance-of-anarchy.html

It was posted a few weeks ago on ZeroHedge. 

GW is a regular contributor to ZH and is a member poster. 

nickbert's picture
nickbert
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Jan 14 2009
Posts: 1208
Re: I could have sworn I read this on here....

Well even if the insiders follow that advice to the letter they're likely not going to be living as comfortably as they'd think.  Best case scenario for them, they're simply shunned by the community(s) around them who will refuse to sell/trade anything (or only do so at exorbitant prices) and are very unlikely to come to their aid when needed.  Unless they really try to contribute to the community(s) in a meaningful way NOW (doubtful... selfish attitudes aren't likely to change) they won't realize just how on their own they'll be until it's too late.  They might be able to survive for awhile if they plan well, but I highly doubt they'll be happy or comfortable after the first several months.  Then think of the egos involved and the emotional adjustments they'll have to make; going from masters of the financial universe to living in isolation in the sticks will be devastating for most.

- Nickbert

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Dec 27 2008
Posts: 1200
Re: I could have sworn I read this on here....
nickbert wrote:

Well even if the insiders follow that advice to the letter they're likely not going to be living as comfortably as they'd think.  Best case scenario for them, they're simply shunned by the community(s) around them who will refuse to sell/trade anything (or only do so at exorbitant prices) and are very unlikely to come to their aid when needed.  Unless they really try to contribute to the community(s) in a meaningful way NOW (doubtful... selfish attitudes aren't likely to change) they won't realize just how on their own they'll be until it's too late.  They might be able to survive for awhile if they plan well, but I highly doubt they'll be happy or comfortable after the first several months.  Then think of the egos involved and the emotional adjustments they'll have to make; going from masters of the financial universe to living in isolation in the sticks will be devastating for most.

- Nickbert

Fortifications are a testament to man's stupidity. ~ Patton. 

Sooner or later they'd get shot. A leg wound from a .300 win mag or .30-06 will kill a man. Shatter the femur and blow apart the femoral artery. Sooner or later they'd have to come out for water, air, sun. And a leg shot at 500 meters with a hunting rifle isn't that difficult. Bunker mentality is stupid. It'll get them killed. 

What would they do? Stay inside the rest of their lives. They've got a lot of nice stuff. Desperate folks have nothing, plus their a wee bit PO'ed that they contributed to TSHTF scenario that unfolded. 

This beans, guns, and holed-up attitude is stupid anyways. ANYONE doing this would be a dead man in due time if conditions were bad enough. 

You need a community. Read Survival+, Charles Hugh Smith put it perfectly. You need friends (they won't have any). "The best way to look out for #1 is to look out for numbers 2-100" ~ Charles Hugh Smith. 

 

 

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Oct 22 2008
Posts: 2373
Re: I could have sworn I read this on here....

Morpheus,

Quote:

This beans, guns, and holed-up attitude is stupid anyways. ANYONE doing this would be a dead man in due time if conditions were bad enough.

+1.
That mentality is perfect for a situation 3 months in duration or <.

The idea that buying resources (that people will want) and guns (that you're unfamiliar with) and counting on these things to assure your safety is a *bit* naive.
a. Food is great - but it's of finite supply.
b. Guns are great - but tactics are greater.
c. Fortifications are great - but only while 'a' and 'b' are present and in full supply.

Community based security and food production is the way forward.
Hoarding resources and counting on influence to see you through is a recipe for a coup by members of said community.

Cheers,

Aaron

earthwise's picture
earthwise
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 10 2009
Posts: 848
Re: I could have sworn I read this on here....

 

Aaron and Morpheus,

Agreed that community is important. But when most of the world sees anybody that's prepping as cammy wearin', Idaho compound livin',  gubmint hatin', tinfoil hat wearin' skinhead anarchists who are looking to give Humpty Dumpty a push while awaiting Armageddon, what choice does one have but to hunker down alone the best one can? I'd love to expand the "community" beyond my family and my one neighbor, but people don't seem to be interested.

Think it might be the tinfoil hat? I might hafta quit wearing it---once my hair grows back.

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 11 2009
Posts: 2252
Re: I could have sworn I read this on here....
Morpheus wrote:

You need a community. Read Survival+, Charles Hugh Smith put it perfectly. You need friends (they won't have any). "The best way to look out for #1 is to look out for numbers 2-100" ~ Charles Hugh Smith. 

++++1

Aaron Moyer wrote:

Community based security and food production is the way forward. 

also ++++1

 

nickbert's picture
nickbert
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Jan 14 2009
Posts: 1208
Re: I could have sworn I read this on here....

Morpheus-

Obviously that represents the worst case scenario.  My expectations (and hopes too, admittedly) are that conditions won't get that ugly as a rule, but I can't discount the possibility it will happen.  Ultimately though I doubt it would get that far in many cases... after all, how much can they truly trust the people who provide their security and run their ranch if they are just hired help instead of a community or family?  My guess is many would be deserted or kicked out of their ranch properties by their hired help before anyone on the outside got to them. Or a new government would look to make examples of someone to accomodate populist rage, and they'd spend the rest of their years behind bars.

With any luck we'll see a better future than that, though... I would much rather see them as pariahs fading into shameful obscurity.  I personally think that would be more of a fitting punishment for power hungry people with inflated egos.  Who knows, in time they might actually learn a lesson! (boy I really must be an optimist Laughing)

- Nickbert

land2341's picture
land2341
Status: Gold Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 20 2009
Posts: 402
Re: I could have sworn I read this on here....
Morpheus wrote:

http://www.georgewashington2.blogspot.com/2010/01/barton-biggs-1-in-10-chance-of-anarchy.html

It was posted a few weeks ago on ZeroHedge. 

GW is a regular contributor to ZH and is a member poster. 

Thank you for finding this!  It is not the exact same quote I don't think,  maybe not the same source,  but I suspect it is the same person.  I knew the community here would know!!

Davos's picture
Davos
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Sep 17 2008
Posts: 3620
Re: I could have sworn I read this on here....
land2341 wrote:
Morpheus wrote:

http://www.georgewashington2.blogspot.com/2010/01/barton-biggs-1-in-10-chance-of-anarchy.html

It was posted a few weeks ago on ZeroHedge. 

GW is a regular contributor to ZH and is a member poster. 

Thank you for finding this!  It is not the exact same quote I don't think,  maybe not the same source,  but I suspect it is the same person.  I knew the community here would know!!

1 n 10 chance: Optimist. I suppose he is referring to prolonged anarchy and not what we go through after a bad storm. I expect this will be a nationwide/worldwide ECONOMIC Katrina. Hopefully we will shake off the sillyness (police state, empire, bloated inept inefficient government, war mongering, resource clueless, non manufacturing, debt intensive fiat based) and get back to the America we were sold in school. Bad things lead to good things.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments