I am from the TSA and I am here to protect you (whether you like it or not)

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ken C's picture
Ken C
I am from the TSA and I am here to protect you (whether you like it or not)

http://www.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idUSTRE5805XT20090901?feedTy...

This link discusses the recent cut of some American Airlines fight attendents jobs and is only the latest of a long line of airline job reductions. These job reductions are the result of many fewer people  traveling by air.  Now there are many reasons (economic and otherwise) for fewer people not flying but the one that I want to address here has to do with TSA.

I point this airline job reduction article out because it is in sharp contrast to the increase in government jobs at TSA.

"...hiring to maintain an employee base of 43,000 TSO FTEs..."
http://www.tsa.gov/press/speeches/asset_summary_multi_image_with_table_0...

I personally refuse to fly anymore because of the the difficulty in actually getting on  and off the airplane. I am sure there must be  many more with the same attitude as I have about flying.

I wonder if TSA and Homeland Security in general have any idea of how many people they dissaude from flying by the way they treat people trying to simply get to their destination. It would seem that the people at the front lines of TSA have an incentive to keep people from flying since the less people that fly the easier is their job.

You know of course that the people in a government job (TSA) would not be in danger of a cut back even if many fewer people were to use their "service".  I for one am not interested in being "serviced" by TSA.

Perhaps all of the laid off flight attendents can get jobs at TSA.

Davos's picture
Davos
Re: I am from the TSA and I am here to protect you (whether ...

Hello KenC:

I took my kid to the airport to send her off to school this past week. I have evaded those places for 9 years.

I sat there for an hour and listened to the "Effective immediatly, by order of the TSA" announcements and wondered how in the world I ever survived in this industry as long as I did. I watched them hassle flight crews, who need only an imbalanced mind to do damage. Maybe the TSA doesn't know that in every plane is an axe that makes a box cutter look like a pea shooter. Yet here they are hassling flight crews.

I watched them demeen passengers.

My news flash of the day: We aren't a free society.

As MachineHead would call them, the "KongressKlowns" could have and should have fixed this by tellig flight crews to pack. You want to fly learn to shoot. Most crews are ex-military and can and still do shoot.

Problem solved.

Instead we are treated like terrorist by our own government.

Demeaning and totally unecessary.

As a matter of fact, just to go off here, the FAA created this debacle by telling crews to act like p*ssy's when hijacked. I used to sit in ground school at recurrent once or twice a year and watch them show us how to escape (as in run away leaving a plane full of hijackers and stranded pax, yup, toss out the ditching rope and scale down the cockpit exterior) if given the oppertunity to. Many of the crewmember I flew with left me to wonder who would plant the pointy side of the survial axe stowed behind my seat in the intruders head first.

Screw running away. But regioal pukes are so tired of being pushed around that they'd push back just to push back.

I recalled one of my last flights out of DC where we had 7 passengers and 7 alphabet soups in a plane that held 50 and a crew of 3, one was a FAM who said to me, "Cap, we don't know how to fly so if you hear shooting keep her straight and level so we don't hit you." I thought he was joking, but I was the only one laughing. My lapse of judgement was not scrubbing the flight and kicking everyone off the plane. Scrubbing a flight would have meant termination. They beefed up the doors but the bulkheads are paper thin. Morons sit in the back and shoot forward.

Absolute insane asylum of an industry, seconded only by Congress and our financial system of total ineptitude.

The pathetic part is the TSA misses the same amount of contaband the old minimum workers with or without greencards did.

Like all the other ineptly run agencies the name is an oxymoron. My facebook is litered with old friends who have, like me, switched careers but reading about the layoffs in what was years ago a good industry is still sadening. 

Take care

Mike Pilat's picture
Mike Pilat

Yes, I enjoy traveling, but the past few years have been absolutely insane in the airports - one of the most stressful things that I repeatedly subject myself too.

The day after 9/11, when it was revealed that the terrorists had box cutters, my father told me they should issue everyone a loaded gun before they boarded a plane. Now some might not feel comfortable with this, ok fine. But there is a valid point to be made. TSA, FAA, the Federal Government cannot and will not protect every time and everywhere. There needs to be a level of personal responsibility and there needs to be some practicality injected into the matter. Recently we hear that even the pilots themselves are getting into big trouble for attempting to bring a knife or a gun into the cockpit with them. Now wait a minute: guns can be used to kill, it is true. So can knives. But everyone's life is at least somewhat in the pilot's hands anyway as he is flying the plane.

In short, the various searches and questions and hassles and agencies that we are subjected to when we travel are an infringement on our personal rights and liberties that Americans 50 years ago would be shocked to hear about. Not only are they needless intrusions, but they also empower the Federal Government while inherently disempowering individuals, sometimes at their peril. We are likely just a little safer on flights as a result of all the government actions, but we are not as safe as we could be and this is (in my opinion) not nearly the most efficient course of action to promoting flight security. But it doesn't matter, because the megalomaniacs in D.C. have attained more control over our lives while at the same time currying political favor by "creating" jobs in the form of the TSA.

Further, as high tech and potentially effective as they are, we have not thouroughly dealt with all potential privacy and cost issues concerning the (relatively) new L3 ProVision scanners that are now appearing in airports. Perhaps you weren't aware of the purpose of the cylinder that you stepped inside. It generates a near-image of your naked body. Uh huh, that's right. See a sample here: http://current.newsweek.com/budgettravel/2009/04/in_a_shift_the_transpor...

also here: http://www.tsa.gov/approach/tech/imaging_technology.shtm (scroll down)

That's just Big Bro, "looking" out for you!

Davos's picture
Davos
Mike Pilat wrote:

That's just Big Bro, "looking" out for you!

That's just Big Bro, "looking" AT you!

Perverts!

Good post Mike. Three days after I went to the airport to pick up my crew. By then the news was out. The Bin Laden family we found out flew the day after 9/11 on airline chartered flights while flight crews were stranded or left renting cars after being ordered down.

I'll never forget, this security person who looked like Yoda and was older than my late grandmother stuck her hand behind my belt buckle. And I was in uniform, imagine what she did to the other folks. Made me want to puke.

The amazing thing were the passengers. Flight attendents would tell me they'd sit up front and watch anyone who went to the forward lav.

Crews were allowed to get guns after training but had to pay for the cost of the gun and the training and when they rode in the back their gun went below - even if the crew flying was unarmed.

Insane. I'd about walk anywhere before subjecting myself to that abuse again. If I didn't love my kid I wouldn't have gone in the airport. Take it easy

Ken C's picture
Ken C

One of the points that I was trying to make (apparently not well) was that the gov. is actually killing the airlines by trying to "help". I could afford to fly if I wanted to and I suppose many others make the same decision that I have about not flying by choice. What this does is robs the airlines of a paying customer and further diminishes the job base.

Mike and Davos ,

I certainly agree with you about having firearms on airplanes. Flight crew should be armed. People with CCW should be allowed to carry on an airplane. I would feel much safer in that situation than leaving my security to the government. If the hijacker did  not know who might be armed it would be a difficult situation to hijack an airplane.

Ken

Davos's picture
Davos

Hello Ken:

Point well taken. I totally agree, and very sorry to go off. Just a touchy subject, especailly after getting back from Richmond this weekend. Take care

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments