I am lost...

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
dshields's picture
dshields
I am lost...

I am lost.  I do not know what the markets are doing any more.  I'll make an amazing issues list:

1) Old fashion fundamentals do not seem to have much weight.  Fads seem to rule.  Social networking sites that do not make hardly any money demand high prices.  Solid companies that have a long history of making money do not even get discussed.

2) High Frequency Trading seems to be able to move markets abnormally.

3) The dollar should be going down but it is not - it has been pretty flat and trading in a fairly narrow range.

4) Equities should be going down but as of late have been trending up.

5) Wild swings in equities are the rule instead of abnormal and people seem to be just fine with it.

6) The news of the minute seems to dominate trading.

7) The government has proven to be unable to control spending.  In addition, there are really massive deficits.

8) Gold, oil, rice, cotton, wheat, corn, copper, and the rest of the commodities are trending up big time.

9) The Fed has announced zero interest rates for the next two years.  That has never happened.  Nobody seems to be too worried about that.

10) Major banks and other institutions are being kept alive by the Federal Reserve.

11) The housing market continues to slowly descend to who knows where.

12) The government twists and distorts its published economic reports to the point I am not sure what they mean.

13) All kinds of whacky stuff is going down in Europe and GB.  I can not keep up with all of it.

14) The mass media TV news is full of all kinds of useless information and very little news about important stuff going on in the world.  It also looks to me like a lot of misinformation and propaganda is presented as news.

15) We are in three wars.  Two of them approximately a decade long each.

16) The Federal Reserve through various programs has created a whole of money.  Looks like they are going to create a whole lot more.

17) Approximately half the people in America do not pay federal income tax.

18) 45 million people in America are on government food assistance.  Millions of people are on government housing assistance.

19) There is basically no practical way we can pay back the money we owe and meet current obligations much less the future obligations we have agreed to at either the State of Federal levels.

20) We have exported untold millions of decent paying jobs to third world countries.  This is huge.

21) Most people in America do not even understand what is going on around them nor do they seem to care.

And these 21 things are just the stuff I thought of off the top of my head and was typing them in as fast as I could.  There are many more.  Not that long ago any one of these would have been considered a very serious situation.  Any three of them would have generated an emergency.  And yet, other than people who study this stuff nobody seems to give a rat's ass.  Number 21 might be the most amazing thing on a list of amazing things.  I don't get it.  If I had a news program I would just go down the new news on the amazing issues list every day.  There is enough bad stuff to scare the you-know-what out of any sane person if they thought about it for 15 minutes.

So what gives ?  It is hard to believe the current situation can continue on for very long - and yet it seems to be continuing.

Travlin's picture
Travlin
You are in good company

Dshields

We are all lost.  Most people know something is deeply wrong.  They just don't know what it is, because they can’t see through the crap they are being fed, or they don't want to look because it is too scary.  Prepare yourself mentally, emotionally, and physically. The reckoning will come in due course.

A little perspective can help. I grew up during the height of the cold war. Every day from early childhood to middle age I knew that at any moment we could all be obliterated by a massive nuclear attack, and there was nothing we could do to stop this. In the target zones we would get 15 minutes warning at best. Not even time to get home to meet death with our loved ones.

Our current perils will still leave functional societies in which people can have productive and enjoyable lives. There are things we can do to improve our prospects. Our children’s lives will be very different, but they will have a future. The human race will abide.

Travlin

Poet's picture
Poet
Wow, Dshields

Wow, Dshields. A lot of great points from you about what is wrong with America. And not tiny bit of partisan politics. Not one mention of Reps or Dems. I can totally agree with everything you've written, without feeling a single bit politically irked. Thank you so much! I don't say this to be snide. I say this because I feel relief!

That said, I think most people know something is wrong. They've known for a long time. They just don't know how to express it. They just know lots of things are wrong. A lot of people are just struggling day by day. They may think it's their own fault, because they see other people around them who are driving nice cars, eating at nice restaurants, living in nice homes, having a good time like nothing is wrong at all. The bad news on the evening news is wiped by the next commercial break for a Lexus or Tide or Doritos or Coke. By the drama on Desperate Housewives or CSI.

Poet

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
despite your list

Yesterday I had a conversation with someone who is waiting for things to get back to "normal." The good news was that  when I opined that I thought things would never get back to her idea of normal, and talked about peak oil, I was not treated like some sort of doomsday freak.

The fact that Saudi Arabia is building nuclear plants seems to get the average person's attention.

And yes, dshields, I agree with the entire list of insane situations we labor under. We have disconnected from reality, but as Travin implied, reality has this nasty habit of biting folks in the a$$.

gregroberts's picture
gregroberts
Should Math Be Taught In Schools?

Maybe this has something to do with it?

gregroberts's picture
gregroberts
Idiocracy

Or maybe this, I don't think we have to wait 500 years, we're there!

Jim H's picture
Jim H
Great post DS

Sometimes we all need a good catharsis....   I feel your angst, as do most members here.  If there is one thing I have been trying to really wrap my brain around, it is your point 21;

21) Most people in America do not even understand what is going on around them nor do they seem to care.

And of course, Safewrite makes essentially the same point by recounting her conversation with someone trapped in their own normalcy bias.  I have had the exact same experience Safewrite has many times over.. we all have.  Why?  

I think most people have the native intelligence to understand all of this..but they don't get there for a number of reasons;

1)  They think it is all too complicated and esoteric.. they don't have a degree in economics so they just need to trust the "experts"in charge.  They may care, but they are convinced it won't make a difference if they do.   

....  OR

2)  They are so sure of themselves, their own intelligence, and their worldview (which they don't realize is painted with normalcy bias) that they will quickly shrug off your initial inquiry using (readily available) MSM headlines against you. 

3)  The final place I have gotten with some really good friends that I have pushed the hardest.. those whose eyes I really want to open.. is that, "if it gets that bad, then I don't want to be around to experience it".  Boy.. that dinner party eneded up being a real downer.. let me tell you! 

I have come to believe that the best starting point for anyone to understand what is going on is the nature of our fiat monetary system.  So much of what is happening today can be understood, intuitively, if you understand how fractional reserve banking works.... how our money system needs to grow, continuously, and exponentially, in order to be healthy... and how this little design flaw drives Ben's deflation fighting gyrations.  Then I can go to Denninger's charts which show how we have used deficit spending to cover up our lack of (real) growth.. digging the hole ever deeper.  

You can lead a horse to water, but......

Doug's picture
Doug
People I know

As most of you here, I have talked to a number of people about this stuff with remarkably little success.  Most of the people I work with and/or count among my friends come equipped with bright to well above bright minds.  IOW, they are totally capable of understanding everything discussed on this site.  As a group they have decided to do very little about it, even after long discussions of the concepts.  One close friend has ofter remarked that I was right about gold and he may even buy some PMs, but doesn't "have the time" with his busy schedule.  He is getting some solar installed and has bought a shotgun (for protection or, if things get too awful, for the final solution).    He's satisfied with that.  He  is nearly 60 and doesn't have any dependents or debts, aside from a totally manageable mortgage, so just intends to continue his current lifestyle, with which he is very satisfied and fulfilled.

Another friend, around 50 and also no dependents, has done nothing to prepare, even though we have had numerous discussions during which he has made clear that he understands and largely agrees with the points I make.  He hasn't touched his 401k which is still allocated in a manner that was considered conservative before 2007.  He took a beating in the crash, but has mostly recovered since then.  His rationale is that he comes from a gene pool that does not promise much longevity, so what the hell.  He thinks we will just muddle along for the foreseeable future without any real crashes.  His job is probably secure barring a real crash.  Who's to say he's wrong?

Just two stories, but not uncommon responses among friends with whom I've discussed this stuff.  They walk around in denial, imo, but have at least made conscious choices and are willing to live with the consequences.  Maybe that's the best we can hope for with most people.  I have done my duty to inform them, so don't feel guilty if things don't go as they expect.

Doug

tictac1's picture
tictac1
# 21 from the first post is

# 21 from the first post is both the cause and effect of our current situation.  As others have noted, it's not that we don't understand the problems, more that we don't WANT to understand them.  We are basically comfortable, and anyone telling us the truth makes us uncomfortable.

Under it all, we have an entire society and way of life that is not only unsustainable, but robs from our children.  It is predicated on theft.  Anyone living at another's expense rarely gives it up of their own accord, which is why I think the rug will HAVE to be pulled out.

It's too bad this has to be depressing for people, I look at it as opportunities for real freedom, not the stuff labeled "freedom" designed to keep us in line.  If not for ourselves, for our children!

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
gregroberts wrote: Or maybe
gregroberts wrote:

Or maybe this, I don't think we have to wait 500 years, we're there!

Hahahahah

"Why come you don't have a tattoo?"

thc0655's picture
thc0655
Point #21

I've gradually been reducing the number of these people in my mind as I discover a lot of them have had a glimpse (or even a cold, hard stare) of what's coming.  They seem to have decided it's too horrible for them to face directly and rationally.  Many do nothing with what they've seen and sense is coming.  Others do something small and token (like buy a gun), and get back to their daily lives (which are much more comfortable, manageable and familiar than facing what's really coming).   

I once heard of a mouse that was placed inside a large terrarium with a six foot boa constrictor.  The mouse began to explore his new habitat and in a few moments discovered the sleeping boa.  The mouse began to act panicky (darting back and forth) but the snake kept sleeping.  The mouse then began covering the boa in wood shavings which covered the floor of the terrarium.  Eventually the mouse succeeded in completely covering the coiled snake in wood chips and shavings, at which time he seemed to relax and resumed his calm exploration of the opposite side of the terrarium.

This did not end well for the mouse.

thatchmo's picture
thatchmo
I hear you ds.....I do have

I hear you ds.....I do have news program on our local community radio station here on Kauai.  I try to incorporate as much of the CC into my "news and commentary" as I can.  Sometimes I get a bit outrageous but usually just try to open folks' minds a bit to the world as I see it.  It is amazing to me that I rarely get calls when the show ends at 0700 to bitch or compliment me on my commentary.  Mostly just silence- although we are a poor station and can't afford the Arbitron ratings so I don't know if 6 or 6000 people are listening.  Maybe listening but not hearing....On the other hand, I'm surprised at the number and "type" of folks that are willing to talk about CC stuff at my business if given half a chance.  Most folks are willing to make some preps, but don't know exactly how to enact any real change outside their lives- just like me.  I just don't know what it will take to get people out in the streets, and if it will be too late by then...But I did get my 86 year young father to watch the CC (short) last week.  He was mostly in agreement, but normalcy bias and a steady diet of FOX news preempts much preparation.  I may have to prep for him- long distance....Aloha, Steve.

Johnson's picture
Johnson
"I am lost..."

dshields:

For over three years now, I along with my professional friends, have been feeling the same way.  Part of it has to do with having to pay a lot more attention to things we never had to before.   More critically has been the time consuming search for unfiltered information and truth.  Interestingly, religion is no different.   Christianity is going thru a phase, which is not new in history, but is being received well by individuals who are like that mouse.   Fortunately, like members of this website, we do find the truth.

As someone said,  "once you hear the truth, everything else is like cheap whiskey!"

It will all collapse on itself, and I am thankful for Chris and everyone here for their efforts and candor.

Also, I am glad you stopped at 21.

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
Re: I am lost...

6) The news of the minute seems to dominate trading.

Yes. Very strange. This never ceases to amaze me. Why would you make a long term investment in the market yet have knee jerk responses to daily fluctuations?

I've also thought that this is the job of CNBC and their ilk to keep people focused on the minute-to-minute stuff so they don't look at the big picture.

jturbo68's picture
jturbo68
Question 21.

Many of the people that I speak with about Exponential Growth and its effects dont think that "everyone else" will take the steps required to break the cycle.  Thus it is pointless for them to change, so ... may as well enjoy life while we can.

Unless there is an easy solution, they dont want to be bother by the problem.

Frustrating.

Humans need a new vision in order to reshape our lives.

dshields's picture
dshields
More...

That nasty bitch Irene kicked butt here where I live in NJ.  I could have started a shrimp farm in the basement - we pumped it out.  No electricity for 4 days - an interesting adventure and we learned a lot.  Going to pick up some more stuff for the emergency collection.

So, not being in a very good mood even though we finally got electricity back this morning, I present an more narrow economic view of our current situation.  Hat tip to "The Economic Collapse"...

From The Economic Collapse:

The following are 25 signs that the financial world is about to hit the big red panic button....

#1 According to a new study just released by Merrill Lynch, the U.S. economy has an 80% chance of going into another recession.

#2 Will Bank of America be the next Lehman Brothers?  Shares of Bank of America have fallen more than 40% over the past couple of months.  Even though Warren Buffet recently stepped in with 5 billion dollars, the reality is that the problems for Bank of America are far from over.  In fact, one analyst is projecting that Bank of America is going to need to raise 40 or 50 billion dollars in new capital.

#3 European bank stocks have gotten absolutely hammered in recent weeks.

#4 So far, major international banks have announced layoffs of more than 60,000 workers, and more layoff announcements are expected this fall.  A recent article in the New York Times detailed some of the carnage....

A new wave of layoffs is emblematic of this shift as nearly every major bank undertakes a cost-cutting initiative, some with names like Project Compass. UBS has announced 3,500 layoffs, 5 percent of its staff, and Citigroup is quietly cutting dozens of traders. Bank of America could cut as many as 10,000 jobs, or 3.5 percent of its work force. ABN Amro, Barclays, Bank of New York Mellon, Credit Suisse, Goldman Sachs, HSBC, Lloyds, State Street and Wells Fargo have in recent months all announced plans to cut jobs — tens of thousands all told.

#5 Credit markets are really drying up.  Do you remember what happened in 2008 when that happened?  Many are now warning that we are getting very close to a repeat of that.

#6 The Conference Board has announced that the U.S. Consumer Confidence Index fell from 59.2 in July to 44.5 in August.  That is the lowest reading that we have seen since the last recession ended.

#7 The University of Michigan Consumer Sentiment Index has fallen by almost 20 points over the last three months.  This index is now the lowest it has been in 30 years. 

#8 The Philadelphia Fed's latest survey of regional manufacturing activity was absolutely nightmarish....

The survey’s broadest measure of manufacturing conditions, the diffusion index of current activity, decreased from a slightly positive reading of 3.2 in July to -30.7 in August. The index is now at its lowest level since March 2009 

#9 According to Bloomberg, since World War II almost every time that the year over year change in real GDP has fallen below 2% the U.S. economy has fallen into a recession....

Since 1948, every time the four-quarter change has fallen below 2 percent, the economy has entered a recession. It’s hard to argue against an indicator with such a long history of accuracy.

#10 Economic sentiment is falling in Europe as well.  The following is from a recent Reuters article....

A monthly European Commission survey showed economic sentiment in the 17 countries using the euro, a good indication of future economic activity, fell to 98.3 in August from a revised 103 in July with optimism declining in all sectors.

#11 The yield on 2 year Greek bonds is now an astronomical 42.47%.

#12 As I wrote about recently, the European Central Bank has stepped into the marketplace and is buying up huge amounts of sovereign debt from troubled nations such as Greece, Portugal, Spain and Italy.  As a result, the ECB is also massively overleveraged at this point.

#13 Most of the major banks in Europe are also leveraged to the hilt and have tremendous exposure to European sovereign debt.

#14 Political wrangling in Europe is threatening to unravel the Greek bailout package.  In a recent article, Satyajit Das described what has been going on behind the scenes in the EU....

The sticking point is a demand for collateral for the second bailout package. Finland demanded and got Euro 500 million in cash as security against their Euro 1,400 million share of the second bailout package. Hearing of the ill-advised side deal between Greece and Finland, Austria, the Netherlands and Slovakia also are now demanding collateral, arguing that their banks were less exposed to Greece than their counterparts in Germany and France entitling them to special treatment. At least, one German parliamentarian has also asked the logical question, why Germany is not receiving similar collateral.

#15 German Chancellor Angela Merkel is trying to hold the Greek bailout deal together, but a wave of anti-bailout "hysteria" is sweeping Germany, and now according to Ambrose Evans-Pritchard it looks like Merkel may not have enough votes to approve the latest bailout package....

German media reported that the latest tally of votes in the Bundestag shows that 23 members from Mrs Merkel's own coalition plan to vote against the package, including twelve of the 44 members of Bavaria's Social Christians (CSU). This may force the Chancellor to rely on opposition votes, risking a government collapse.

#16 Polish finance minister Jacek Rostowski is warning that the status quo in Europe will lead to "collapse".  According to Rostowski, if the EU does not choose the path of much deeper economic integration the eurozone simply is not going to survive much longer....

"The choice is: much deeper macroeconomic integration in the eurozone or its collapse. There is no third way."

#17 German voters are against the introduction of "Eurobonds" by about a 5 to 1 margin, so deeper economic integration in Europe does not look real promising at this point.

#18 If something goes wrong with the Greek bailout, Greece is financially doomed.  Just consider the following excerpt from a recent article by Puru Saxena....

In Greece, government debt now represents almost 160% of GDP and the average yield on Greek debt is around 15%. Thus, if Greece’s debt is rolled over without restructuring, its interest costs alone will amount to approximately 24% of GDP. In other words, if debt pardoning does not occur, nearly a quarter of Greece’s economic output will be gobbled up by interest repayments!

#19 The global banking system has a total of 2 trillion dollars of exposure to Greek, Irish, Portuguese, Spanish and Italian debt.  Considering how much the global banking system is leveraged, this amount of exposure could end up wiping out a lot of major financial institutions.

#20 The head of the IMF, Christine Largarde, recently warned that European banks are in need of "urgent recapitalization".

#21 Once the European crisis unravels, things could move very rapidly downhill.  In a recent article, John Mauldin put it this way....

It is only a matter of time until Europe has a true crisis, which will happen faster – BANG! – than any of us can now imagine. Think Lehman on steroids. The U.S. gave Europe our subprime woes. Europe gets to repay the favor with an even more severe banking crisis that, given that the U.S. is at best at stall speed, will tip us into a long and serious recession. Stay tuned.

#22 The U.S. housing market is still a complete and total mess.  According to a recently released report, U.S. home prices fell 5.9% in the second quarter compared to a year earlier.  That was the biggest decline that we have seen since 2009.  But even with lower prices very few people are buying.  According to the National Association of Realtors, sales of previously owned homes dropped 3.5 percent during July.  That was the third decline in the last four months.  Sales of previously owned homes are even lagging behind last year's pathetic pace.

#23 According to John Lohman, the decline in U.S. economic data over the past three months has been absolutely unprecedented.

#24 Morgan Stanley now says that the U.S. and Europe are "hovering dangerously close to a recession" and that there is a good chance we could enter one at some point in the next 6 to 12 months.

#25 Minneapolis Fed President Narayana Kocherlakota says that he is so alarmed about the state of the economy that he may drop his opposition to more monetary easing.  Could more quantitative easing by the Federal Reserve soon be on the way?

Romans12.2's picture
Romans12.2
Even though we believe that

Even though we believe that it can't possibly go on the way it is...it seems to go on.

Maybe the people who ignore all the chaos around them are smarter than us freaks over here.

We joke about red pills and black pills, they joke about Chaz on DWTS and Real Housewives.

Are we really privy to something wicked this way comes? 

Or are we (me) just paranoid preppers who will be great fodder for stories told in a prosperous future to our grandchildren.

I pray that somehow it just keeps going on and on...that my kids can laugh out loud someday about food storage in the basement, Mom learning how to shoot a glock, hiding silver and gold coins and buying acres of land to bug out to.  Maybe we are wrong and it CAN just keep going on and on.

Anyone else starting to think that?  Help I'm wavering.

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
no wavering

Romans ,    The 4% at the top that have more money than  90% of the  population  put together  will continue to do as they want .   They are as addicted to money  as any doper is for his drugs... same endorphins  .   Sooooo . They will keep manipulating things until they have total control then   will loose total control .  You well know we have a while before everything goes down far enough that people will gladly sell their soul for a loaf of bread . You  see the decline in morals , as well as the economy  , all needs to go slow enough for not many to recognize the trap  set before them .

Stay on the straight and narrow . Keep Your eyes fixed  on the end . 

"Watch, stand fast in the faith, be brave, be strong. Let all you do be done with love."
1 Cor. 16:13-14

FM

LG's picture
LG
Lost

Yes. People are really lost. Look at The Definitive Firearms Thread. Some of these folks are really lost, not a clue. Best to all. It is very near.

LG

[Moderator's note:  What constructive purpose does this comment serve?]

Wendy S. Delmater
just that fast

John Mauldin's comment - BANG! just that fast - sounds like Dr Chris and the exponential end game to our way of life. X Ray mike is not wrong that this crazy comsumerist lifestyle that I never bought into is coming to an end, I just disagree as to his solutions  - which are utopian and depend on both big government and people behaving well (after the revolution, of course.)

What really depressed me is that so many people with blinders on have children that will suffer so much. My son, his wife and my grandson are in the new townhouse they bought on Long Island, and I could barely get them to set aside enough food/water/]batteries in case of a power outage. Basically, to start to prep they will have to rip up their whole world view and nothing but severe pain will cause them to do that. And by then, for them and others, it will probably be too late.

littleone's picture
littleone
The desire for power and comfort

DS,

What a mess. 

One thing at time...and breathe. Well-wishes. 

Full Moon,

Beautiful end quote!

The facts on current functional systems are overwhelming.

The desire for power and comfort are something to be mindful of. As power increases...comfort usually follows. This is how the desire for power can appear as a benign need in the form of seeking comfort. 

This is my favorite quote on comfort(underlined)...from Khalil Gibran's THE PROPHET(1923):

Houses

A mason came forth and said, "Speak to us of Houses."

And he answered and said:

Build of your imaginings a bower in the wilderness ere you build a house within the city walls.

For even as you have home-comings in your twilight, so has the wanderer in you, the ever distant and alone.

Your house is your larger body.

It grows in the sun and sleeps in the stillness of the night; and it is not dreamless.

Does not your house dream? And dreaming, leave the city for grove or hilltop?

Would that I could gather your houses into my hand, and like a sower scatter them in forest and meadow.

Would the valleys were your streets, and the green paths your alleys, that you might seek one another through vineyards, and come with the fragrance of the earth in your garments.

But these things are not yet to be.

In their fear your forefathers gathered you too near together. And that fear shall endure a little longer. A little longer shall your city walls separate your hearths from your fields.

And tell me, people of Orphalese, what have you in these houses? And what is it you guard with fastened doors?

Have you peace, the quiet urge that reveals your power?

Have you remembrances, the glimmering arches that span the summits of the mind?

Have you beauty, that leads the heart from things fashioned of wood and stone to the holy mountain?

Tell me, have you these in your houses?

Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and becomes a host, and then a master?

Ay, and it becomes a tamer, and with hook and scourge makes puppets of your larger desires.

Though its hands are silken, its heart is of iron.

It lulls you to sleep only to stand by your bed and jeer at the dignity of the flesh.

It makes mock of your sound senses, and lays them in thistledown like fragile vessels.

Verily the lust for comfort murders the passion of the soul, and then walks grinning in the funeral.

But you, children of space, you restless in rest, you shall not be trapped nor tamed.

Your house shall be not an anchor but a mast.

It shall not be a glistening film that covers a wound, but an eyelid that guards the eye.

You shall not fold your wings that you may pass through doors, nor bend your heads that they strike not against a ceiling, nor fear to breathe lest walls should crack and fall down.

You shall not dwell in tombs made by the dead for the living.

And though of magnificence and splendour, your house shall not hold your secret nor shelter your longing.

For that which is boundless in you abides in the mansion of the sky, whose door is the morning mist, and whose windows are the songs and the silences of night.

~Khalil Gibran - Houses, THE PROPHET(1923)

*underlining added for emphasis

source link: http://leb.net/~mira/ (source link contains entire text of THE PROPHET)

Our man-made systems function very well to create artefacts

CHAPTER 3

...They are, rather, not men (in the old sense) at all. They are, if you like, men who have sacrificed their own share in traditional humanity in order to devote themselves to the task of deciding what `Humanity' shall henceforth mean. `Good' and `bad', applied to them, are words without content: for it is from them that the content of these words is henceforward to be derived. Nor is their difficulty factitious, "We might suppose that it was possible to say `After all, most of us want more or less the same things—food and drink and sexual intercourse, amusement, art, science, and the longest possible life for individuals and for the species. Let them simply say, This is what we happen to like, and go on to condition men in the way most likely to produce it. Where's the trouble?' But this will not answer. In the first place, it is false that we all really like the same things. But even if we did, what motive is to impel the Conditioners to scorn delights and live laborious days in order that we, and posterity, may have what we like? Their duty? But that is only the Tao, which they may decide to impose on us, but which cannot be valid for them. If they accept it, then they are no longer the makers of conscience but still its subjects, and their final conquest over Nature has not really happened. The preservation of the species? But why should the species be preserved? One of the questions before them is whether this feeling for posterity (they know well how it is produced) shall be continued or not. However far they go back, or down, they can find no ground to stand on. Every motive they try to act on becomes at once petitio. It is not that they are bad men. They are not men at all. Stepping outside the Tao, they have stepped into the void. Nor are their subjects necessarily unhappy men. They are not men at all: they are artefacts. Man's final conquest has proved to be the abolition of Man.
The Abolition of Man by C.S. Lewis (paragraph 11)

listening to:

-littleone

pj619's picture
pj619
I am thinking at times that I have a strange new hobby

Romans,

I have not come across too many moms posting on this site, seems to be a large population of men/dads.  They have a more aggressive take on things but I have found that I am thinking the same way.  I have stockpiled food and tell the kids "just in case of a large earthquake we have been promised, always good to be prepared". .  Taking money out of savings and buying silver and gold (yes, and "hiding it") seems like the oddest thing I've done.  Could it really happen?  Will I need to rip into my food and water supply, shoot at looters, bug out?  Already live in California.

I feel like I live two different lives right now.  My normal day to day, running errands, cleaning the house, taking kids to schools and games . . .  and my other version of myself, checking gold and silver prices, buying more PMs,  thinking of more things to buy for food storage, buying seed packets.  Buying land and "bugging out" will have to wait for now.  Buying fires arms should be the next thing on my list.  Now that feels really odd, but I am going to get that done for the month of Sept!   Very strange.

I have to keep telling myself CM's rational statement: Better to be prepared and not need it, then need it and not be prepared.

Wendy S. Delmater
the abolition of man

littleone, that quote from CS Lewis was inspired. I had not read that in ages, and it was good to see something from that book again. If you like that, you will most probably enjoy Escape From Reason, by Francis Schaeffer.

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
Re: Lost

Yes. People are really lost. Look at The Definitive Firearms Thread. Some of these folks are really lost, not a clue. Best to all. It is very near.

Oh they are not lost...they'll find you.

dshields's picture
dshields
NFP Tomorrow

Non-Farm Payroll tomorrow (Friday) at 8:30 am EST.  The Fed Gov over the years has modified the way the rates are calculated such that they are minimized.  To get a good picture of the current unemployment rate along with previous unemployment rates compared to the way they used to calculate the unemployment rate please see the link below.  It is pretty shocking.  The Fed Gov minimizes the rates to placate the unwashed masses who just hear the so called headline number - if they hear anything.  I know people who have no idea what the unemployment rate is and have never heard of NFP.

http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_data/unemployment-charts

I like the shadowstats site.  It is full of interesting information.  In many cases they have used the "old" ways of determining stats like inflation, unemployment, etc..  When you use the old ways of doing these things you are in a position to compare the current data calculated the old way with previous data calculated the old way over time.  Based on that type of analysis we are in really bad shape as compared to the past.

Where is the outrage ?  You would think that a large majority of the people would be outraged at what the politicians have done to us.  People who study this stuff are outraged but that is about it.  I do not believe in a massive conspiracy where super rich shadowy people lurk in the dark and manipulate the world to get our money.  However, it is clear they have dumb'ed us down.  I saw the 1899 entrance test to Harvard University one time on line.  There is no way I could pass that test.  The first sections required that you know 3 foreign languages fluently.  I barely know english.  The math section I could have suffered through but I promise it would be considered very difficult by current standards.  They would immediately be sued with the claim being the test was racially biased to keep minorities out of the college.

The entire system is so broken it is amazing.  We did this.  We did this to ourselves.  You can not blame the Russians or the Chinese or even the Moslems.  No, we did this to ourselves.  Now we are going to pay the price.

Romans12.2's picture
Romans12.2
PJ619 - Welcome fellow

PJ619 - Welcome fellow soccer mom and paranoid prepper!  I know what you mean about living two lives.

It's been a year and a half for us.  I meet with friends and talk about PTA meetings and organizing church camp...but secretly I'm watching spot gold and buying bulk quinoa on amazon.  I eagerly listen for clues that others are becoming more aware of the increasing danger facing our future, but I'm very dissapointed in most peoples opinion.  They just don't care.  They don't care that no college education is going to guarantee a future for their son.  That their daughters expensive dance classes and aeropostale jeans are not as important as paying down credit cards.  That buying a new Coach purse is just plain stupid with only three days worth of food in the pantry!

I know, I know sensible is so boring.  I used to think that way.  I had never clipped a coupon in my life before the crash course, and I'm still far from perfect.  I confess we still eat sushi twice a week! But I'm trying every day to be more of an example to others in tough times.  To be a strong woman who has a handle on this uncertain future.

I have a husband who understands and fears appropriately.  He sometimes like to wake up and take a blue pill and tell me that TPTB will figure out a way to keep things going on forever the way we are.  He gets me close to convinced sometimes.

About the gun.  Just do it.  We bought a 38 revolver for me last week, because the glock just plain scared me when I shot it.  I'm applying for my CCW so I can keep it in my bug out backpack.  I feel safer sleeping knowing I have a gun within reach that I can shoot with out hesitation.  If anyone comes into my home, I'm shooting first. There will be no "stop- I have a gun".

Romans12.2's picture
Romans12.2
Full Moon - thank you. You

Full Moon - thank you. You are always a comfort here.  I'm encouraged by your words. 

I will be brave and stand fast on my narrow path. 

dshields's picture
dshields
Non-Farm Payroll Bad

I knew non-farm payroll would be bad.  There has been a lot of bad data as of late.  We need to create about 250,000 jobs per month just to absorb the new people coming into the labor force.  The 250,000 does not include hiring back the 8,000,000 people laid off since the great recession started.  We basically did not create any jobs last month or the month before that.  This is not good at all.  No matter what anyone tells you, there is no such thing as a jobless recovery.  I am surprised that people are surprised.  Plus, the Fed Gov borrowed 400 billion dollars last month.  An incredible amount for one month.  America is in the process of experiencing a forced reduction in its standard of living.  We are becoming poorer and poorer.  Many people have already had a reduction.  Many more will.  Only the super rich will get through without a reduction and even some of them will feel pain.  The sweet union gig is over and the sweet government gig is over.  Some people are still using credit to try to retain their old standard of living.  This will not work either.  The American big shot big deal is over.  The new normal is less.  Maybe a lot less.  Less jobs.  Less pay for the jobs we do have.  Less fancy stuff.  Less government.  Less welfare.  Less retirement.  Less food.  Less energy.  Less toys for little kids.  Less everything.  This is going to be a really big thing for America.  Americans are not used to less.

The sad part is we did this to ourselves.  Politicians control everything.  It is what they do.  We elect them.  We elected politicians that have made catastrophic mistakes and destroyed our country.  Then we just kept on electing them.  They spent WAY to much money.  They created way to many regulations that cost us and not enough or the right ones to protect us.  They did not enforce the existing laws they should have.  They lied and they cheated and we just kept electing them.  They turned us into a welfare state.  We have and have had a government we simply can not afford.  it must be cut while it would still make a difference.  If we wait too long and the world cuts it for us it will be too late.

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix
LG wrote: Yes. People are
LG wrote:

LG

[Moderator's note:  What constructive purpose does this comment serve?] 

At the very least.......  it confirms a lot of what I think!

Mike

pj619's picture
pj619
Nice to connect

Hi!  It's nice to connect to another mom.  Quinoa on Amazon.  Didn't think of that.  Thanks.  Just singed up today for a "class" at the gun shop.   Had to cancel some plans next week to take it.  Kinda funny.  I'm getting more use to all of this. 

After speaking with some friends who experienced the joy of losing their power during and after Irene (5 days) it really made me realize just how declicate our system really is. They sounded exhausted.  Wow.  And regarding looking for more clues that people are waking up, I really think a lot of folks just don't want to hear such bad news and change their over-done lifestyles.  I know I didn't.  I think I sat on this info on CM's site for a few months. I had to take time to absorb this info and realize it wasn't a bunch of wackos.    I really really hope people wake up.  I tell my friends to have supplies in case of an earthquake.  Most are like "Oh, didn't think of that".  And we are in earthquake country, well until last week. 

Keep up the good work!  I'm sure there are more of us out there than we think!

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
dshields wrote: I knew
dshields wrote:

I knew non-farm payroll would be bad.  There has been a lot of bad data as of late.  We need to create about 250,000 jobs per month just to absorb the new people coming into the labor force.  The 250,000 does not include hiring back the 8,000,000 people laid off since the great recession started.  We basically did not create any jobs last month or the month before that.  This is not good at all.  No matter what anyone tells you, there is no such thing as a jobless recovery.  I am surprised that people are surprised.  Plus, the Fed Gov borrowed 400 billion dollars last month.  An incredible amount for one month.  America is in the process of experiencing a forced reduction in its standard of living.  We are becoming poorer and poorer.  Many people have already had a reduction.  Many more will.  Only the super rich will get through without a reduction and even some of them will feel pain.  The sweet union gig is over and the sweet government gig is over.  Some people are still using credit to try to retain their old standard of living.  This will not work either.  The American big shot big deal is over.  The new normal is less.  Maybe a lot less.  Less jobs.  Less pay for the jobs we do have.  Less fancy stuff.  Less government.  Less welfare.  Less retirement.  Less food.  Less energy.  Less toys for little kids.  Less everything.  This is going to be a really big thing for America.  Americans are not used to less.

The sad part is we did this to ourselves.  Politicians control everything.  It is what they do.  We elect them.  We elected politicians that have made catastrophic mistakes and destroyed our country.  Then we just kept on electing them.  They spent WAY to much money.  They created way to many regulations that cost us and not enough or the right ones to protect us.  They did not enforce the existing laws they should have.  They lied and they cheated and we just kept electing them.  They turned us into a welfare state.  We have and have had a government we simply can not afford.  it must be cut while it would still make a difference.  If we wait too long and the world cuts it for us it will be too late.

Preach it brother!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments