How to Profit from the US Escalating an Existing or Launching a New War

42 posts / 0 new
Last post
YoungEntrepreneur's picture
YoungEntrepreneur
How to Profit from the US Escalating an Existing or Launching a New War

If you knew the US was definitely planning to expand the scope of current military actions or launch new ones how would you best position yourself to profit from it?

How would you best insulate yourself from the multiple negative consequences likely to impact average American citizens as a result of entering into such an engagement given our present state of economic affairs?

Would be great to get some interesting and insightful community comments on this. I'll elaborate and post my thoughts on this later. 

Thanks in advance.

YE 

nickbert's picture
nickbert
Probably not the best way to look at that outcome
YoungEntrepreneur wrote:

If you knew the US was definitely planning to expand the scope of current military actions or launch new ones how would you best position yourself to profit from it?

I'd say that's not the sensible question to ask.  There's the questionable moral aspect to the question of course, but even should one decide to disregard that there is also a matter of long-term self-interest.  Quite simply, we are at such a critical point in resource depletion and availability that ANY prolonged large scale war will likely inflict serious damage throughout the globe from destruction of resources and disruption in production.  War is inherently destructive in nature and uses up resources and potentially damages others, and with the supply in many resources just barely meeting the current demand most of the globe will experience major long-term hurt as resources are depleted faster and distribution is disrupted.  Long term I don't think anyone will truly end up 'ahead' compared to their present circumstances.

Quote:

How would you best insulate yourself from the multiple negative consequences likely to impact average American citizens as a result of entering into such an engagement given our present state of economic affairs?

IMO this is the better question to ask.  There will likely be no true winners, but you may be able to at least minimize the impact.

The best ways I can think of would be to not live in any country that is a participant in said war, or if that is not possible then at least have your savings and major income streams originating outside of said countries' financial systems.  Even if physical risk is not involved (a war taking place overseas for example), war typically involves either high inflation or periods of austerity or both.  Most of the previous 9+ years in the US didn't experience a great degree of either, but that was simply because the nation put it all on its credit card and got to put off the pain until later.  I find it unlikely the US will be able to do so that easily for much longer, so I'd expect the pain (probably in the form of even higher price inflation) to be suffered shortly after any such war started.  Another good measure would be to keep your living situation flexible and have a plan to leave the country in question if the situation called for it. 

Most other preparations or positioning for such an event would fall in line with general preparedness things that most of us are moving towards anyway.  Better (or less worse?) case I could see the prices for critical goods like energy and food going up but with same availability, and in a worse case I'd expect rationing of some things or perhaps no availability at all for a few things.  Either way most general preparedness measures would help.

- Nickbert

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
If you knew the US was

Invest in copper. You can't fight a modern war without it and there are going to be plenty of wars.

YoungEntrepreneur
Response to Johnny...

Thank you Johnny.

Yes, several commodities on my radar. Copper definitely being among them.

YoungEntrepreneur
In reply to Nickbert...

The moral aspect of such a war declaration is irrelevant for the pruposes of this discussion. Although I do not wish for war I have no say or influence on whether it happens or not. The reality is, after money printing, that is what the US does best.

We are actively engaged in three fairly large scale conflicts in Irag, Afghanistan and Libya (even though the media and gov't refuse to acknowledge Libya as a War) not to mention several covert and limited scope operations throughout other areas within the region and across the rest of the world.

It's naive to argue all the reasons why we should not go to war. Although the points have merit and are true, the powers that be benefit and profit immensely from war and have created a militiary/industirlal complex, war machine and economy designed to launch it.

I'd rather not focuses on "should bes", utopian beliefs and fantasies but rather deal with reality and economic predictions, prep strategies and tactics designed around these realities, no matter how flawed, evil and corrupt the war mongering may be.

The question is not whether war is good for you, me or the country. That never is the question. That never prevents it from taking place and the powers that be are very good at deceiving, manipulating and influencing the general public.

The question is how and when will it happen and what can one do (especially for those out of the loop) to profit from such actions and protect yourself from the negative consequences. Straight and simple.

I agree about not living in or having too much of your life plans dependent on or financial resources residing in such a war-mongering nation. Exploring international living is very prudent.  

Yes, most general prep measures discussed on these forums apply.

Thank for the post, appreciate the input.

YE

littlefeatfan's picture
littlefeatfan
Invest in local resilience

The best thing you can do is invest in yourself, practical physical things around you, local ecomonies, and local community. If you think you are going to make virtual wealth off things you are not in possesion of, with the future we are facing, you are just fooling yourself. We do not need investment in the status quo, we need investment locally.

YoungEntrepreneur
littlefeatfan

Agree to an extent. Definitely in investing in yourself and practical physcial things.

Your local economy however and community could be tremendously affected by such events. This may happen so often and to such a degree that often times it is better to opt out of existing in a local situation that is constantly going to be battered by decisions and proclamations completely out of your control.

Irregardless, just like there are good prep tactics to help protect you from the negative effects of such developments there are also proactive investment strategies that will help you proft from it.

I also believe that when the local picture is corrupted, signficantly tarnished and stacked against you international investment should be explored. Think outside the box. Not all solutions and best case scenarios ly within your local community and gov't.

ao's picture
ao
you may want to reconsider
YoungEntrepreneur wrote:

The moral aspect of such a war declaration is irrelevant for the pruposes of this discussion. Although I do not wish for war I have no say or influence on whether it happens or not. The reality is, after money printing, that is what the US does best.

Actually, YE, we all have a say and influence on whether it happens or not.  When our personal behavior is such that it supports an intention to profit from such an event, we are, either directly or indirectly, complicit in its occurence.  When we oppose such profiteering in our thoughts and subsequent actions, we do just that little bit to prevent it.  There are enough areas to profit from where I would not want to even consider such a profit path.  Why not look at a positive path to profit rather than a negative one.  When you adopt an attitude of intentionally profiting from the purposeful creation of pain and suffering, you start a slide down a slippery slope that will eventually take you where you really don't want to go.  I think you're better than that ... and if not, it may be time for some serious introspection.  You seem like you have a lot of energy and potentially fruitful ideas.  You can do a lot and go far without venturing into the dark side.

This talk may be worth a listen.

You don't want to become known as someone who has accumulated their fortune on the backs of others or by creating or supporting the misfortune of others.  When societal acrimony rises to the point where recrimination and revenge come into play, you may find yourself in an exceedingly uncomfortable position from which there may not be any retreat nor escape.  I wouldn't go there personally but YMMV. 

nickbert's picture
nickbert
My point is more about expectations than morality

YE-

I'm not really arguing the morality of waging the war.... like yourself said, IMO regular people like us have practically no say in whether we engage in another war, and the power players will ultimately do what they want regardless of what you and I want.  We may be able to affect the direction and continuation of the war after that, but that's a subject for a different thread.  I'm not even arguing the morality of finding ways to profit from a new war, though IMO it's something each person should take time to consider.  I'm simply saying your first question is the wrong way to think about it because there is likely no way to improve one's long term fortunes from such an event, except for maybe the most connected and powerful people (and maybe not even for them in the long term).  For example you may invest in copper as JO says and make a good chunk of money there, but any wealth or increase in your standard of living that may come from that would eventually (possibly immediately) be offset by loss of purchasing power, increased taxation to fund the war effort, and shortages of basic goods and resources that make maintaining your standard of living impossible.  So what I'm saying is using the word "profit" implies a turnout (getting ahead) that is likely impossible in all but the very short term, and maybe not even that.

Now since the actions one might take to protect themselves financially in such a situation would be the same actions one might take to try to "profit" from it, it may sound like I'm arguing semantics.  But what I'm trying to get at is the term profit carries with it an expectation of future gain or prosperity, and holding onto an expectation that is unrealistic will only end up producing negative feelings, resentment, and possibly bad decision-making when our expectations fail to be realized.  How many people are we seeing nowadays chasing expectations that will likely not be realized (a near term housing rebound for example), and suffering stress and making bad decisions as a result?  By approaching it purely from the sense of minimizing impact or loss, your expectations will be much more in line with probable outcomes and you won't fall into the trap.  And if in the unlikely event you just so happen to truly come out ahead in the long term, you haven't lost anything by having your expectations exceeded.  FYI this is how I approach my holdings of gold & silver; I don't expect to get rich, only to minimize losses.  And if in the off-chance gold and/or silver is monetized and I see my net wealth truly and substantially increase, yay for me!  But I'm not holding onto any such expectation.

Hope that helps explain it.

- Nickbert

YoungEntrepreneur
AO- good retrospective

I think the people's voices in the US are being drowned out  by a corrupt and greed infested poltiical system. Not enough people are educated enough nor care enough to overwhelm the power, influence and effective deception campaigns being wielded by those on top. At least not yet. I think nothing substantially different will take place until the SHTF. A true crisis of epic proportions requiring a system reset.

All I'm saying if something is going to happen irregardless, why not capitalize and profit from political distortions of economic reality? That's what speculators and sophisticated investors do. Heck, I'm more interested in establishing and marketing business products and services that can offer solutions to these threats or capitalize on these trends as opposed to investment only activities.

We can all wish and want until we're blue in the face but our current political system, government, monetary policy and military expansionism has a certain conclusion baked in the cake. All we are waiting for is the cake to be finished, someone to light up, blow out the candles and then start carving the pieces out.

My intention is not to make a fortune promoting these elitist's dark agenda but rather to insulate myself from political risk, profit from poltical distortions on the markets and create value by offering solutions to people who seek likeminded objectives. Whether that be by investing in precious metals, commodities, agriculture, fresh water, shorting bonds, treasuries, banks or home builders, investing in strategic stocks primed to benefit from key short-term trends, buying farmland outside the US, building a sustainable living community or starting businesses to offer solutions and alternatives, etc... so be it.

This does not imply I support these greedy morally bankrupt bastards. In fact, I could use the proceeds from such investment strategies and marketing trends to create and establish counter efforts, opposition and new proposals.

As unfortunate as it may seem to many, money is critically important to just about anything, especially on a large scale. In order to reverse engineer and counteract the stuation you need a certain amount to promote and spur counterparty efforts. 

I'll check out that You Tube video you posted.  Thanks for your contribution though.

YE

YoungEntrepreneur
AO- regarding the Chris Sacca video

How funny, saw this video a couple of months ago.

I did not know that You Tube link was to the Chris Sacca commencement address.

GOOD STUFF!!! Very fascinating guy. Good call. Even though I had already seen it, it's good to know someone else agreed with the value it offered.

Thx for offering your take.

YE 

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
Chris Sacca's Commencement Address ...
ao wrote:
YoungEntrepreneur wrote:

Actually, YE, we all have a say and influence on whether it happens or not.  When our personal behavior is such that it supports an intention to profit from such an event, we are, either directly or indirectly, complicit in its occurence.  When we oppose such profiteering in our thoughts and subsequent actions, we do just that little bit to prevent it.  There are enough areas to profit from where I would not want to even consider such a profit path.  Why not look at a positive path to profit rather than a negative one.  When you adopt an attitude of intentionally profiting from the purposeful creation of pain and suffering, you start a slide down a slippery slope that will eventually take you where you really don't want to go.  I think you're better than that ... and if not, it may be time for some serious introspection.  You seem like you have a lot of energy and potentially fruitful ideas.  You can do a lot and go far without venturing into the dark side.

This talk may be worth a listen.

You don't want to become known as someone who has accumulated their fortune on the backs of others or by creating or supporting the misfortune of others.  When societal acrimony rises to the point where recrimination and revenge come into play, you may find yourself in an exceedingly uncomfortable position from which there may not be any retreat nor escape.  I wouldn't go there personally but YMMV.

ao,

A well thought out post, with a video of an address I have hopes the audience will take heed ...

Thankyou

Paul

agitating prop's picture
agitating prop
If you were a foreigner

If you were a foreigner and it was your kid's head that was going to be blown off in a foreign land, the war profit question would be so abhorrent to you, you wouldn't ask it. A detached, clinical amorality about profit is an outgrowth of a kind of fatalism about our lack of power as individuals....but we do have tremendous power. We can withdraw to some extent from a system that is essentially evil.  We should be more than yield seeking automatons, oblivious to the effects of our collective actions, ideas and beliefs. We owe our children so much more.

It is crazy to ask how one can benefit from wars they don't believe in--a very mercenary point of view. Sorry,I understand where you are coming from and know many people who think as you do, and would tell them the same thing. You can't separate out the morality of this issue from it's practical aspects.

YoungEntrepreneur
Re: Agitating Prop

Sorry, but it's a fair question.

Face it, there's nothing you, I or anybody on this board can do that is going to change much of this war mongering and profiteering in the near future. This conspiracy is baked in the cake, the system is rigged and the game and its major players are all corrupt. They wield incredible power and influence.

Look at what's happening in Libya right now. What's being reported in the mainstream media is nowhere close to reality. Watch the RIDICULOUS 9/11 celebrations next month. Do you really think we won these wars or accomplished anything by supposedly killing Bin Laden? What's happened to the US over past 10 years (much as a result of BS wars abroad and in the name of fighting terrorism) is nothing short of an epic tragedy.

This is a pure investment question. Emotion is detached. Many of the same things many here are investing in also coincide with such considerations.

Your rhetoric sounds wonderful but there's also a little thing called reality. Given that, you do realize that one of the main ways to acquire influence and political relevance is by accumulating some standard of wealth.

If you want to help your children get them out of the influence of a system bent on taking advantage of them, enslaving them and leveraging them. Acquire enough financial freedom that the system can not control or negatively affect your life to an intolerable level.

What's coming is inevitable. It's fantasy to think your vote or letters to your congress man will matter. At least not in the short-term. The S needs to HTF before a true system reset and national retrospective is legitimately considered. Tons of people need to be voted out of office and removed from power before there's a chance for reconciliation. The US needs an overhaul and really not much will change until there is no choice. A severe crash needs to take place.

Opt out of this insanity, stop fueling their system and learn to live well independently. That's the best revenge.

Some battles are just not worth waging. Create your own life and take care of those you love. Build a consensus around like-minded people and build a community with them. Ramming your head repeatedly into brick walls trying the change the minds of stubborn and corrupted people rarely leads to desirable results (at least not in one person's lifetime). Concentrating energies to fight this system traditionally is futile.

Rhetoric and pretty illusiions not based on practical strategies and tactics are a waste of time.

I asked because I have information and contacts that lead me to be highly confident about certain events taking place. I have no say in them of course but I certainly can learn to protect myself from the side effects and position myself to profit from these consequences. They are going to take place no matter what.

I was just wondering if anyone had anything to add that was not already obvious. So far, not really aside from whining about how this was such a terrible question to ask.

Spend a little time studying what this Libyan invasion and the 9/11 mess is all about and learn to respond to it as opposed to simply just whining and groaning about it like everyone else.

Nothing personal, we just see this differently. I care very little for anything other than what something really is and what do about it that's under your control. 

Best,

YE 

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
URS Corps and General Dynamics ...

YE,

You're probably right you know ...

Yes, go profit from the wars raging around the world. You could make an absolute killing!!!

Invest in the rare metal elements that go into missile guidance systems. That's surely going to pay out big time. In fact, anything remotely tethered to the materials that make up the general day to day running of the 800+ American military bases around the world - from sanitation, food, transport, communication, training - you name it, the sky is the limit!!!

I mean, after all, over half of the income taxes of the United States go toward maintaining the war machine, so why shouldn't you get a cut in that? There's still plenty to go around, with plenty of other people doing it, so why shouldn't you?

URS Corp and General Dynamics - they should be your first port of call. You wouldn't need to be in the least bit innovative - just chuck some of your money at their stocks and you'll see your income grow!

They're major operations are actually supported with government allocated money to the war effort, rather than investments within the States in creating non military jobs, but I mean, a present average of $1,500 billion per year - and more than half the yearly income tax of the country - is nothing to be sniffed at if the general public are too disempowered to argue with this effect, right?

Simply find out which politicians are in the pocket of what military corporations, and follow the money. You just can't go wrong!!!!

This is the very best book that I could recommend. From its pages, I guarantee you could be on your way to earning vast profits within days : -

The Sorrows of Empire by Chalmers Johnson [Amazon.com]

Brief excerpts

Best,

Paul

YoungEntrepreneur
Vanityfox451 - URS Corp & General Dynamics

Hey Paul,

Thanks for offering your insights. Yours was the most helpful and on topic one for sure.

I have always considered rare earth elements and defense stocks as part of this plan. Figuring who the private contractors and public businesses that stand to earn those contracts is huge.

I'd heard of Blowback but had not read it. I was an International Relations major in college so I have some background.  

Unfortunately, war and country reconstruction are two of the most profitable endeavors an empire can undertake. The ones at the top truly benefit but often the nation loses on the whole. I'm not connected enough to directly profit or have a role but can at least profit from these trends just like others here plan to profit from the gov't destroying the US dollar.

None of us want to see the US monetary system collapse or the US wage unconstitutional or unjust wars but they are going to do it anyway. Might as well invest in things like gold and rare earths to both protect yourself from the downside and profit from these undeniable trends.

I'll certainly check out the book you referenced. Thanks.

YE

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix
Life 101

Life isn't about profits.

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
Re: Life 101

Life isn't about profits.

Great!

I knew I shouldn't have listened to this guy.

katyan's picture
katyan
a faustian bargain

YE,

I am saddened by your posts since you seem to be someone with many good insights. It is hardly "whining" for others on the forum to offer other points of view. For the most part, they were delivered respectfully and in the spirit of constructive feedback. Yet because they have not responded within the context of your cynical worldview, you have implied that they are out of touch with reality and perhaps even a bit delusional.

I offer a few additional comments for your consideration:

This is a pure investment question. Emotion is detached. Many of the same things many here are investing in also coincide with such considerations.

This is the kind of moral departmentalization and rationalization that allows atrocities to happen. Basically, you comprehend the horrors caused by war and other aspects of our global financial/political system, but you are loathe to give up opportunities for personal gain. So you justify your participation by saying in essence, "I can't change the system, so I'm going to detach myself emotionally from the consequences while I profit from it, then I'll use that money to protect myself and my family from its evils."

A faustian bargain if there ever was one.

Opt out of this insanity, stop fueling their system...

Agreed! And you can start today. The only real "vote" we have anymore is where we choose to place our time, money and attention.

Your rhetoric sounds wonderful but there's also a little thing called reality. Given that, you do realize that one of the main ways to acquire influence and political relevance is by accumulating some standard of wealth.

Many wise people have taught about the illusion of "reality" throughout the ages, so I will not attempt to address that topic here...that's a journey, not a quick summary. However, I do wish to challenge your assumption that wealth will provide influence or safety. One need look no further than Ghandi or Mandela for examples of people who achieved tremendous political influence with very limited financial means through the sheer force of their moral authority. Given the emphasis that our culture places on celebrity and wealth, it is unsurprising that many people feel as you do...I've certainly been in that place. But there are many problems with thinking that having a lot of money will protect us. To begin with, the time, effort and mental energy we expend to achieve it almost invariably shape our lives and those of our families in negative ways, especially if we compromise our values in the process. Then, if we are lucky enough to accumulate a large amount of wealth, we become obsessed with saving, growing and protecting it. And if you believe that you can build a fortress to protect yourself from natural and/or social unheaval, just take a look at this evening's news for images of Libyan rebels overrunning Ghadafi's fortified compound for the latest example of the fallacy of that belief.

If you envision enriching yourself by gaming this evil, corrupt system, then flying off in the sunset in your private plane to your well-stocked, fortified home in the wilderness to live a safe, virtuous life...well, good luck with that.

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
Reality tunnel ...

Katyan,

This made me smile ...

Every kind of ignorance in the world all results from not realizing that our perceptions are gambles. We believe what we see and then we believe our interpretation of it, we don't even know we are making an interpretation most of the time. We think this is reality. – Robert Anton Wilson

Reality Tunnel

Paul

xraymike79's picture
xraymike79
It was rather telling and

It was rather telling and sad that VF's post was taken as actual investment advice rather than moral sarcasm. Hey, all in the name of business and profits, right? Just like Lewis Lucke, US coordinator for relief and reconstruction in Haiti, said:

“It’s kind of the American way. Just because you’re trying to do business doesn’t mean you’re trying to be rapacious. There’s nothing insidious about that… It wasn’t worse than Iraq.”

YoungEntrepreneur
Katyan, fair enough, good points...MY RESPONSE

It's just sometimes the mushy bleeding heart stuff bothers me. There's a couple of posters that have followed around my threads and seem to constantly harp on such things.

I understand hearing others' view points but when I get mostly view points and hardly anyone responding to an investment oriented question then it's a bit annoying.

Yes, most responses were respectful, only a little harmless sarcasm in some.

Cynical worldview? Perhaps, but I just like to think I call it as I see it. Most people involved in big business corporate America, high-level politics and government/military industrial complex issue know that the players are not benevolent, not acting the general population's best interests and no holds barred play hardball. Our government is lieing, cheating, stealing and murdering at unprecedented levels. This is not hyperbole or exagerration. Just about everything that comes out of Bernanke's and Obama's mouth is a bold-face lie covering for a dark agenda.

There's no sugar coating that. They are simply taking pages out of very old political playbooks, rinsing and repeating. You can call my views cynical if you like.

Well, as an investor, business owner and speculator I always seek to identify market disortions caused by political factors. We have so many now it is beyond belief. Our whole economy and functioning of our government right now is a carefully orchestrated ponzi scheme and deception marketing campaign. Do you agree?

They are destroying the currency, trampling over the constitution, abolishing the replublic and corrupting the democracy. What would you call that? It's blatantly obvious now. Take anything the gov't and its cronies say in public, do research on it and you'll find virtually 100% of it is lies, damned lie masking and dastardly agenda.

Yes, becoming independent, bonding with generally like-minded like those people and not participating in this political farce is a good investment of time and energy.

You're right, money does not guarantee you anything but if you do something productive with it you're much better off than simply having great ideas and plans and not enough money to do anything about them.

Yes, yes, but for every Ghandi and Mandela there are millions who are slaughtered and rendered irrelevant by history. You like those chances?

Disagree with saying that in order to create wealth you have to sell your soul or trade all your time. There are products and services one can sell that serve a noble purpose and leverage and automation can protect your time and ensuring residual income.

You don't have to sell your soul to the devil or work 80 hours a work permanently to make whatever is enough for you. I suggest reading the         4 Hour Work Week and the resources it lays out.

Ghadafi's example is extreme. He just, inconveniently for him, ended up on hte wrongside of the play now. Power politics is very fickle. By the same token then, look at who is funding this operation. The US is behind all of this no matter what the puppet media says. The UN is the US, just like the IMF is the US. Learned that yet?

The high-stakes political figures, Wall Street Bankers and Corporate Execs pushing all of this are corrupt war-mongers and greedy to the core. They have it pretty good though. Karma does not play out in this earthly existence. Many of the wealthiest and most powerful people in the world are also among the most morally bankrupt but they get away with it. That's just my interpretation of what is. Plenty of astute and experienced players tend to agree. Call it whatever you like.

Great recent example, George W. Bush. Do you even comprehend the level of evil and destruction his adminsitration perpetrated on the world? Yet he's still welcomed, applauded and celebrated in many part of the US. Amazing!

Thanks for the best wishes at the end. No sarcasm noted.

Again, I simply asked an investment related question. Got another lecture.

Personally, I think it is good to understand what the geo-political consequences of all of these foreign engagements are (all utlimately related to Crash Course concepts) and how to position yourself to not only survive it but thrive during it.

What you do with your money and time thereafter is up to you but the more of both you have the more good you can do. Money typically means control of your time. If you have neither then you're quite irrelevant and impotent.

YE

ao's picture
ao
Vanityfox451 wrote: ao, A
Vanityfox451 wrote:

ao,

A well thought out post, with a video of an address I have hopes the audience will take heed ...

Thankyou

Paul

Thanks Paul.

darbikrash's picture
darbikrash
Where have they been....

Here are the young men, the weight on their shoulders

Here are the young men, well where have they been

We knocked on the door of Hells darker chamber

Pushed to the limit, we dragged ourselves in

Watched from the wings as the scenes were replaying

We saw ourselves now as we never had seen

Portrayal of the trauma and degeneration

The sorrows we suffered and never were free

Where have they been….

Weary inside now our heart is lost forever

Cant replace the fear or the thrill of the chase

Each ritual showed up the door for our wanderings

Open then shut, then slammed in our face

Where have they been….

ao's picture
ao
karma's a b****
xraymike79 wrote:

It was rather telling and sad that VF's post was taken as actual investment advice rather than moral sarcasm. Hey, all in the name of business and profits, right? Just like Lewis Lucke, US coordinator for relief and reconstruction in Haiti, said:

“It’s kind of the American way. Just because you’re trying to do business doesn’t mean you’re trying to be rapacious. There’s nothing insidious about that… It wasn’t worse than Iraq.”

I thought the same thing.

YE,

If you've studied Jim Rogers' work and look at the hard reality of the situation, lead is a great investment.  There's going to be a lot of it flying.

Interestingly, there is a mutual fund called the Vice Fund (VICEX).  It invests in sin stocks.  It also blew up in its investor's faces.

I think what we're trying to tell you is that karma's a b****.  Are you really sure you want to go there?  Do you want to be a reptile like a billionaire with the initials GS?  There's no emotion there.  Just pure reptilian business decisions.  I've made decent money in my life to the point where I'm financially independent but I never had to sell my soul to do it.  I know those who have though.  By and large, no one likes them including their own families and worse of all, they don't even like themselves (unless they're narcissistic sociopaths).  Think it over.  I'm not trying to be patronizing here but I do have a fair amount of life wisdom and more importantly, I've been privy to the lives of many others and learned much from their mistakes.  Going down this path is a mistake. 

YoungEntrepreneur
VanityFox451...sarcasm and moral lessons aside

Although your post was made in jest you did actually make some points that were quite valid the past 10 years. Natural resources in general are a tremendous investment during these times. As some of the wars wind down certain niche technologies emerge to fight them differently and address how new ones will be handled.

The last decade was a major boom for defense stocks in general. Same for precious metals, many rare earths and really most commodities. The opportunity is not quite the same of course now and much less attractive, generally speaking, but there are well-defined niches that will continue to do quite well. New conflicts are just beginning.

There are some very specific companies that will benefit greatly from this of course. Whether you invest in them, act as a supplier or consultant or market their products will vary depending on personal interest and aptitude.

Some you will support without even knowing.

This Libyan conflict is not the end of operations in the middle east but rather a prelude to quite a few other engagements.

I have good information that within a short while a very significant one that several countries have been preparing for will commence. Don't be surprised or decieved by the media blitz and campaign designed to throw you off just like 9/11, Iraq and Afghanistan and now Libya.

YoungEntrepreneur
AO on karma

Yes, very familiar with Jim Rogers' material. People like Peter Schiff have also mentioned ammunitions and lead. More people will buy guns for personal protection and war will be pervasive as things deteriorate.

By the way, you don't make the real money investing in the stock.

The stock picks are not the best plays. Brokering deals, arranging connections and equity funding, marketing the product and obtaining contracts from the inside have much greater ROIs.

VICEX, yeah I'll have to look that up.

But seriously, the last 10 years were great for the defense industry. Next ten likely to be more difficult but niche companies and materials providers will still do extremely well. New war technology is constantly changing.

Regarding karma, I don't put allot of stock in that. I've led a very good life and more often than not done the right things, mant times to my detriment. In contrast, I've seen many SOB literally get away with murder, laugh all the way to the bank and not pay a price while alive. 

It's a nice concept, it does not always work out that way though. Bad things can happen to good people, rotten people are often at the top. i don't do anything for "karma's sake". I just make my own decision whether it's right or not. I would rarely feel compelled to do something to knowingly hurt someone unless there's a do or die. win or lose competitive balance at play.

In business however, my entire business plan and approach involves creating win/win relationships between parties that can compliment each other. Mutual benefit.

Agree, GS is like the devil. Hard to believ Jim Rogers was partnered with a guy like that. They sure have gone their seperate ways since then.

I appreciate your input. I'll give it some thought.

I don't think I made myself clear though. My intent is not to directly support or advance other's war mongering and profiteering agendas but if I happen to know something is going to happen and have identified a resource that will become more valuable because of it, why not position myself to own it, market it and supply it?

YE  

nickbert's picture
nickbert
YE-If you're really looking

YE-

If you're really looking to help insulate or protect yourself in preparation for a new or escalating war, it would seem to me you'd have to pinpoint what kind of war will it be and what location(s) are involved.  Is it a head to head between the US and some other nation with a somewhat significant military presence?  Is it a proxy war between two or more large powers over a resource-rich or strategic area (US & China vying for oil-rich areas in western or central Asia)?  Is it a war between regional powers that the US chooses to get entangled in for whatever reason (Israel-Iran for example)?  Will it be fought primarily with air & naval power, or instead involve lots of boots on the ground?  Will it be a war of harrassment, containment, and choking off outside support to force surrender (somewhat like Libya), or will it be a more direct conflict like the invasion of Iraq? 

The goods, skills, and resources that would potentially experience shortages would greatly depend on what type of war it would be.  For example a war with North Korea would likely have very different impact on things like oil availability and shipping routes that a war with Iran would experience.  One of your previous comments implies that it involves the Middle East, but I may have read that wrong.  If you have a more specific idea of where and how you expect this to take place, it might help in better assessing the ways one might be impacted and what you can do to minimize the risks to oneself.

- Nickbert

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
Mendacity on Steroids ...
xraymike79 wrote:

Mike,

Oh yeah, that Lewis Lucke!

Do you mean the Lewis Lucke who was US coordinator for relief and construction in Haiti, who left his post after three months to subsequently land a $30,000 per month deal with AshBritt to help land some $20 million in reconstruction deals on the island?

The self same AshBritt who were accused of double-billing for one contract by more than $700,000 followiing Hurricane Wilma, and were similarly accused of profiteering in the wake of Hurricane Katrina?

Rapacious = To take by force; plunder; Greedy; Ravenous. To subsist on live prey ...

Insidious = Stealthy; Subtle; Cunning; treacherous; Innocuous ...

Hmmm, very apt ...

Paul

ao's picture
ao
YoungEntrepreneur wrote: By
YoungEntrepreneur wrote:

By the way, you don't make the real money investing in the stock.

The stock picks are not the best plays. Brokering deals, arranging connections and equity funding, marketing the product and obtaining contracts from the inside have much greater ROIs.

Well you might or you might not.  Big money has been made in virtually every way possible from boutique investment banks brokering deals to businesses to bonds and that includes equities.  It all depends what you're astute in.  I've even known someone who made nice money importing cotton socks.;-)

Also, whether you give credence to karma or not doesn't obviate its existence.  As ye sow, so shall ye reap.  What you've seen of someone's life is only a small snapshot.  Don't mistake it for the big picture.  There is a world beyond the material.  Even in the physical world, we don't see most of what exists.  Think of dark matter or electromagnetic energy, for example.

Also, one doesn't need wealth to exert positive power and influence.  History is rife with examples.  And ultimately, the vast majority of those who purport to strive for wealth so that can exert positive power and influence wind up doing the opposite.  

BTW, although I was kidding about the Jim Roger's lead thing in so far as the bullets, because of the manifold industrial uses of lead and the environmental restrictions on lead mines, smelters, etc., it truly has been a lucrative area. 

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
Wealth?

YE,

You want to make money?

Here's what you do ...

You study like there's no tomorrow at this forum, covering the subtle nuance of every title of every thread, and you digest it to the marrow, framing the Crash Course as the central tenet.

Then you do your utmost to support people you meet with this information in bite-sized chunks that they can digest, like the couple in their 70's I met 6 months ago that I've done my utmost in helping them grasp the gravity of their situation - living in a large city in a 3 bedroom house with equity falling off of a cliff and a garden the size of a hankerchief - with pension investments going south to the tune of 22% in just 9 months.

You tell them that, even though they've supposedly retired, they've more to do over the next five years than all of their achievements in the last twenty.

You show them where their equity will be in five years if they stay put, remarking on the fact that 17% of Uk government investments have been placed into the sef destructing spiralling housing market, and that through demographics, they're unlikely to have any value in their savings due to the destruction of the UK fiat currency, or indeed have any state pension entitlement by 2017 at the latest, and that preparation for these accounts is key to their survival.

You tell them that, if they've house insurance, life insurance, car insurance, why not food security insurance, what with the price of food rising by 4.9% in just 11 months in the UK, and fully three times faster than any of the other G7.

You show them that, if their gas bill were to rise year on year by18% over 5 years - which I believe a serious threat - their £900 a year gas bill will be nearer £1,800 in five years, and that figure excludes inflationary or deflationary figures over the outcomes written above that right now appear imminent.

When you've pitched all this - laughed with them - cried with them - yelled at each other - hugged them many many times over to help them grasp the point of making positives out of grand negatives that prove their government hasn't any skin in the game of their survival, you ask them what they believe the value in the information you've given, and the support you've indirectly given them to those of their family and friends is worth?

Currently, I've drawn about £4,500,000 of equity in housing, out from under the weight of economic blight, and I've done it by gaining a commision of 1% on barely 20% of that figure, yet I'm muddling by, have food, heat, light, companionship, and consider myself the richest man on the street for very different reasons than most.

My email gift to people is a simple one for you to copy and paste to do the same : -

Dear [ ...],

As per our conversation : -

The Transition Town Handbook by Rob Hopkins [PDF Complete Book]

The Cake Analogy
on page 41 is a wonderful way to float into the heart of the book, letting the pages gently tease you. Rob is a master of explaining his subjects richly, yet without bombardment ...

Rob Hopkins: Transition To A World Without Oil
~ Ted Talks [17:58]

Ted Talks has many a dignitary share their insights of the world, from many an Innovator, Forward Thinker, Genius; and the like ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8meWY0W40OA

A Farm For The Future

A very informative documentary by Rebecca Hosking - a film maker who has worked with David Attenborough for many years - with interviews with Richard Heinberg and Colin Cambell among many ...

if you have any questions, you know where I am.

Most importantly ...

... please take your time ...

My Very Best,

Paul

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments