How the mighty have fallen. Ted Turner lamenting his losses.

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ken C's picture
Ken C
How the mighty have fallen. Ted Turner lamenting his losses.

The really rich have a different perspective than the rest of us.

TED TURNER: "if you economize and don’t buy new airplanes or long-range jets, or that sort of thing, you can get by on a billion or two.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&sid=afyLWnoS2WlA

agitating prop's picture
agitating prop
Re: How the mighty have fallen. Ted Turner lamenting his ...

I think that Unicef should try to raise coins for Ted this Halloween. I wonder how many of us care deeply about dolphin slaughter, human starvation and pain, and then forget Turner altogether. The poor man.

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
agitating prop wrote:

I think that Unicef should try to raise coins for Ted this Halloween. I wonder how many of us care deeply about dolphin slaughter, human starvation and pain, and then forget Turner altogether. The poor man.

LaughingHey, now, Prop . . . You're agitating me . . . Teddy Boy was my childhood hero . . . We were competitive sailors, and he was a bit of a rogue skipper out of the New York Yacht club, who, without the proper breeding, won the right to defend the America's Cup.  Whatever photos I could find of him and his yacht were plastered all over my bedroom walls, like a rock star.  My friends had the Beatles et al, and I had Ted . . . Then he had to go and become a media mogul, and wreck it all . . . . I've been disillusioned, ever since . . . Wink Yes, it all started with Ted . . . .

ejanea's picture
ejanea

This would be funny if it were not true.

On a whole other scale though,  2% of the world's population using 25% of its energy and contributing disproportionately to the economic and climate issues that are faced by the whole world must look equally bizarre to people in the "third world."

Deciding whether to buy an economical hybrid car instead of an inefficient heavy vehicle that transports relatively few people over short distances must look obscene to a Somali woman with several children to feed and a considerable distance to to to collect water.

agitating prop's picture
agitating prop
ejanea wrote:

This would be funny if it were not true.

On a whole other scale though,  2% of the world's population using 25% of its energy and contributing disproportionately to the economic and climate issues that are faced by the whole world must look equally bizarre to people in the "third world."

Deciding whether to buy an economical hybrid car instead of an inefficient heavy vehicle that transports relatively few people over short distances must look obscene to a Somali woman with several children to feed and a considerable distance to to to collect water.

I'll play a bit of devil's advocate for a moment, or at least pose a question.  First worlders are burning through the planet's resources, like arsonists on meth, granted.  We have the financial clout, power to act out our insane planet destroying fantasies. We've only been able to achieve this state of complete disequillibrium, because we had fewer children. We limited our numbers so there was more for everyone who was born. If the Somali woman had fewer children would she better off, and what exactly does "better off" even mean anymore?

ejanea's picture
ejanea

I'm not sure what "better off" means.

I'm not sure that having less children has made much difference to the over consumption of resources of "first worlders"  though it's true,  it could be worse!  

How much control does a third world woman have over her own fertility?

There is no avoiding the fact that, while Somalis may need to take responsibility for their errors (and that hypothetical Somali woman can't really avoid responsibility very easily)  so do the people of the pampered "west."

agitating prop's picture
agitating prop
ejanea wrote:

I'm not sure what "better off" means.

I'm not sure that having less children has made much difference to the over consumption of resources of "first worlders"  though it's true,  it could be worse!  

There is no avoiding the fact that, while Somalis may need to take responsibility for their errors (and that hypothetical Somali woman can't really avoid responsibility very easily)  so do the people of the pampered "west."

Somalis having too many kids is just an indication that they are behind the curve on climate change.  It made perfect sense to have large families just half a century ago. Now it doesn't. They are both victims and authors of their own destiny.

ejanea's picture
ejanea

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire

Poor Ted . . . First, he's having to give up his extra jet, and now we've turned his thread into a discussion of life-limiting strategies . . . He'll have to drown his sorrows in some second-rate Scotch, I suppose . . .

agitating prop's picture
agitating prop
ejanea wrote:

Perhaps less than I think she does, and more than you doSmile Now that was diplomatic, don't you think?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments