How many members here are in Southern Calif.

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ken C's picture
Ken C
How many members here are in Southern Calif.

I was hoping that the CM admin people were going to come up with a way to organize groups by location but since it has not yet happened I thought that I would test the waters to see how many members we have in  the So Cal area.

Also, this may be a way to foster some better local community action.

Any thoughts?

Ken

hucklejohn's picture
hucklejohn
Re: How many members here are in Southern Calif.

I live in Santa Maria -- some would say this is Southern California, others Central Calfornia. 

SailAway's picture
SailAway

I live in San Diego.
Fred

Saffron's picture
Saffron

Hey Fred, we are in San Diego too!

Subprime JD's picture
Subprime JD

BMT in Orange County!

citizenal's picture
citizenal

California?  Where is California?

Ken C's picture
Ken C

It looks like we at least have a few people here although they appear to be spread out some.

I am in the northern edge of the city of LA. (Tujunga)

Saffron and Saliaway:

I lived in the San Diego area for many years. I saw it grow from a nice little place to a big city with all of the population problems.

Still, I do like San Diego

Hucklejohn:

So how do you like Santa Maria? I have not spent any time at all in that area.

Ken

joemanc's picture
joemanc
Ken C wrote:

I was hoping that the CM admin people were going to come up with a way to organize groups by location but since it has not yet happened I thought that I would test the waters to see how many members we have in  the So Cal area.

Also, this may be a way to foster some better local community action.

Any thoughts?

Ken

Ken - One thing you and others could do is add to your profile your location. See mine for an example. I tried to do that in hopes it would catch on with others but it hasn't, yet.

Broadspectrum's picture
Broadspectrum

Hi All,

I live in LA County.   I occasionally work with the Converging Storms Action Network (CSAN).  I participated with them on the 10/10/10 event in Eagle Rock. in conjunction with the 350.0rg events held around the country on that day.  Here's a link to some photos of the event.  Check out the photos from the poster board on saving water.  http://la.indymedia.org/news/2010/10/242348.php

If you want more info on CSAN let me know.  Thanks.

Broadspectrum

soulsurfersteph's picture
soulsurfersteph

I was in Los Angeles but I just moved. I honestly don't think LA will be a good place to be when TSHTF.

That said, there are existing transition groups in Los Angeles that are already working on community and barter systems. They are more "Transition Town" initiatives and are also focused on environmental issues. I can only tell you about West Los Angeles, but if you want to get tapped in on sustainability and some of these initiatives, and at least talk to some people who are preparing, here are some resources:

Environmental Changemakers has a lot of great low-cost classes and events on gardening and sustainability:

http://www.envirochangemakers.org/

You might also want to check out Transition LA:

http://www.transitionla.org/ 

From these websites you'll find links to other events and groups of interest. There are also local barter groups starting up.

There are people from the valley who go to some of the West LA/Westchester meetings...so you'll find people from a variety of areas and could maybe help get more things going on in your own area.

Poet's picture
Poet

Orange County here.

Santa Maria is definitely too far north for So Cal - you're north of Santa Barbara, and SB herself is considered upper Southern California, lower Central Coast.

But luckily you are in beautiful rolling farm/ranch country with wonderful weather - not too hot, not too cold, no snow, and relatively decent amounts of rain and fair weather.

Poet

earthwise's picture
earthwise

I'm preppin' and hunkerin' down here in San Diego as well, North County area.

hucklejohn's picture
hucklejohn

Ken C:  You asked about Santa Maria.  HIstorically SM has been a farming community, supposedly entirely missed the Great Depression.  Now the economy is mostly services & retail + Vandenberg AFB to the south.  However, in just a few decades the population has tripled from about 32,000 to 100,000.  Since new housing has been restricted toward the north (San Luis Obispo) as well as to the south (Goleta/Santa Barbara), the growth has been in Santa Maria.    Also, the political environment has been more favorable toward the big box stores.  The ocean is 10 miles to the west.  Regarding the coming hard times, the weather here is superb (it rains only from November through March) & there are lots of vegetables & strawberries most of the year. 

SailAway's picture
SailAway
earthwise wrote:

Earthwise,

Do you have a backup plan for water in case of shortage?

earthwise's picture
earthwise
SailAway wrote:
earthwise wrote:

Earthwise,

Do you have a backup plan for water in case of shortage?

Yeah, it's not perfect but I think I can make it work through a SHTF type crisis.

I live in an rural agricultural type area on four acres. I am constructing two retention ponds that will hold approximately 100 HCF (hundred cubic feet) of water or about 75,000 gallons each. The runoff that flows through my property during a good rain ( like we had here yesterday) comes from a drainage basin of about 50 acres. Yesterday's rainfall would have filled one pond halfway plus, had it been complete. Also, three surrounding properties have wells. Their owners are not prepping at all, and one doesn't even use his well. If TSHTF I would anticipate that they wouldn't last long and would most likely abandon their property, leaving it for me to salvage the use of the well. If they did try to endure, then I've prepared sufficiently to have enough food to barter with in exchange for water. Also, a year round stream flows at the bottom of the hill about a half mile from me, and another over the knoll about the same distance uphill from me. If necessary I could portage water using my horses and 55 gallon barrels. Primitive, I admit, but I could make it work.

SailAway's picture
SailAway
earthwise wrote:

Yeah, it's not perfect but I think I can make it work through a SHTF type crisis.

I live in an rural agricultural type area on four acres. I am constructing two retention ponds that will hold approximately 100 HCF (hundred cubic feet) of water or about 75,000 gallons each. The runoff that flows through my property during a good rain ( like we had here yesterday) comes from a drainage basin of about 50 acres. Yesterday's rainfall would have filled one pond halfway plus, had it been complete. Also, three surrounding properties have wells. Their owners are not prepping at all, and one doesn't even use his well. If TSHTF I would anticipate that they wouldn't last long and would most likely abandon their property, leaving it for me to salvage the use of the well. If they did try to endure, then I've prepared sufficiently to have enough food to barter with in exchange for water. Also, a year round stream flows at the bottom of the hill about a half mile from me, and another over the knoll about the same distance uphill from me. If necessary I could portage water using my horses and 55 gallon barrels. Primitive, I admit, but I could make it work.

Are you planning to have any filtering (like in a swimming pool) for your pounds? Otherwise the water is going to turn green in no time isn't it?

You said your plan is not perfect but it looks pretty good to me, especially for Southern California...

Thanks for your feedback.
Fred
earthwise's picture
earthwise
SailAway wrote:
earthwise wrote:

Are you planning to have any filtering (like in a swimming pool) for your pounds? Otherwise the water is going to turn green in no time isn't it?

You said your plan is not perfect but it looks pretty good to me, especially for Southern California...

Thanks for your feedback.
Fred

The ponds would be mainly for irrigation for the gardens and drinking water for the animals so I don't care if they turn green. I could prevent the green water by covering the ponds with black visqueen which would block the sunlight that is necessary for the planktonic algae to grow which is what turns the water green. Probably more trouble than dealing with green water, but it would also help to reduce water loss from evaporation. We'll see. I will have filters on the ponds, but only to keep from clogging the irrigation system.

For the family's drinking water I have seven 55 gallon barrels of stored water as well as a Berkey filter with backup filter elements (will be buying more of these elements as funds permit---so many preps, so little funds).

Water for bathing and laundry I haven't figured out yet. Pond water? Yuck!  Precious drinking water? No way. We'll probably stink, but we'll survive.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments