How I'm Preparing My Family for Peak Oil....

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
MrEnergyCzar's picture
MrEnergyCzar
How I'm Preparing My Family for Peak Oil....

I was asked by a member here to share some of my Prepaing for Peak Oil related videos.  I have met Chris in person and seen one of his great talks which I always highly recommend.  Attached are some of my Peak Oil related videos to help others...  Feel free to ask any specific questions. 

My main MrEnergyCzar youtube channel is here.  http://www.youtube.com/MrEnergyCzar

I put some video links below as well as embeds, not sure which will work.

MrEnergyCzar

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hHmXhgBhtWk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://youtu.be/jbjtKbWZ67w

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jbjtKbWZ67w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://youtu.be/dYFWTruwCzs

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dYFWTruwCzs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix
This just goes to show how

This just goes to show how many ways there are to skin a cat....  you've gone the hi tech and affluent way of solving the same problems we have solved by going the way of the simple life.

Were you covered by insurance when that tree destroyed your solar array?  That was some storm!

I'm interested to know how much of your total electric consumption (including the Volt) that array covers, how big it is, how many kWh you consume per day etc...

I'm also puzzled by the fact you cook with an electric stove....  gas is not only a far superior fuel (burning the fossil fuel right where you need it!), you can also make your own fairly simply.  If Indian peasants can do it.....

Thanks for sharing.

Mike

MrEnergyCzar's picture
MrEnergyCzar
member response

Hi Mike,

Yes, insurance covers solar as if it were an additional structure like a detached barn etc...  I choose to both simplify and use hi tech to powerdown.  Most couldn't live as simply as I do in terms of no AC, and hanging laundry, tiny TV etc... 

The array covers over 100% of my home, which is all electric, including the stove.  I see no reason to bring in fossil fuel or make my own gas, the electric is fine for me for cooking.  

The 5KW array makes 5,000 KWH per year, I don't have ideal exposure.  The home is down to 3,200 KWH per year.  This frees up about 6,000 electric Volt miles per year or 1,800 KWH per year x 3.5 miles per KWH etc...  The more I powerdown, the more miles I get from the solar.  

MrEnergyczar

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix
thanks for the reply
MrEnergyCzar wrote:

Hi Mike,

Yes, insurance covers solar as if it were an additional structure like a detached barn etc...  I choose to both simplify and use hi tech to powerdown.  Most couldn't live as simply as I do in terms of no AC, and hanging laundry, tiny TV etc...

We us 1/3 the power you do.........!

MrEnergyCzar wrote:

The array covers over 100% of my home, which is all electric, including the stove.  I see no reason to bring in fossil fuel or make my own gas, the electric is fine for me for cooking. 

I understand that, it's just creating heat with electricity seems so inefficient.  Costs a LOT of solar panels just to do that..  are you grid tied?  Do you sell any power to the grid?

MrEnergyCzar wrote:

The 5KW array makes 5,000 KWH per year, I don't have ideal exposure.  The home is down to 3,200 KWH per year.  This frees up about 6,000 electric Volt miles per year or 1,800 KWH per year x 3.5 miles per KWH etc...  The more I powerdown, the more miles I get from the solar.

I have to say I was more impressed with the Volt than I expected......  though for me (who is poor by choice) there is no way I would/could spend that much money on a car, any car.  With what you paid for the Volt, I could buy ten Citroens like mine.  Having said that, I could be interested in the future of converting this car, which might be doable for just $10K.  We don't work, so we don't need big commute range or anything like that.

I still worry about the possibilities of not being able to replace tyres in a future with no oil, or roads that turn to s**t with no bitumen!

Mike

MrEnergyCzar's picture
MrEnergyCzar
energy use

MIke,  If you use 1/3 the power that's impressive.  Adding up my total energy footprint:  My transportation fuel(s), plus pellet fuel for heating (not electric resistance from the solar, I power a pellet stove 60 watts per hour) and my electricity, totals about 23,000 KWH per year energy equivelants.  Before the volt I was at 50,000 equivelant.  For you to use 1/3 that would be about 8,000 KWH equivelant which is like using 100 gallons a gas over a year, and a cord or ton of pellets.  That leaves nothing for oil, nat. gas or electricity.  In your situation I'd just get a used prius or Leaf rather than covert unless you're very handy etc...  Tires will just be very pricey and or they'll have to re-tread them instead of making new ones etc.....

Peace,

MrEnergyCzar

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix
comparing notes
MrEnergyCzar wrote:

MIke,  If you use 1/3 the power that's impressive.

I hope you realise that this does NOT include our liquid fuel, only electricity.

http://damnthematrix.wordpress.com/2011/11/01/mon-abri/

http://damnthematrix.wordpress.com/2011/09/04/the-power-of-energy-effici...

MrEnergyCzar wrote:

Adding up my total energy footprint:  My transportation fuel(s), plus pellet fuel for heating (not electric resistance from the solar, I power a pellet stove 60 watts per hour) and my electricity, totals about 23,000 KWH per year energy equivalents.

I can only guesstimate our liquid fuel equivalent energy use, but I'd say ~175,000 kWh, so your transport footprint is very impressive indeed...  In fact, I'd like to see how you calculated your pre-Volt energy consumption....  sounds like you hardly ever drive anywhere?

MrEnergyCzar wrote:

Before the volt I was at 50,000 equivalent.  For you to use 1/3 that would be about 8,000 KWH equivalent which is like using 100 gallons a gas over a year, and a cord or ton of pellets.  That leaves nothing for oil, nat. gas or electricity.  In your situation I'd just get a used prius or Leaf rather than covert unless you're very handy etc...  Tires will just be very pricey and or they'll have to re-tread them instead of making new ones etc.....

We don't heat at all (different climate, though we don't aircon either...)  We used to use ~27kg of propane per year before we got the wood fired coker going, and I have no idea so far how much wood we will use in that, because it probably won't get much use until our winter starts kicking in.  So our gas footprint is ~ 1750MJ/yr = ~485 kWh

Priuses are only appropriate in stop start traffic where the electrics can get a bit of a run.  We live in the country where everywhere we go is 50 MPH, and I can almost squeeze as good a mileage from my 2.0L Citroen as a Prius would do simply by driving it efficiently.  Admittedly I would get better mileage in a Prius if I drove it the same way, but the capital investment can't be justified AFAIC.

We help to reduce our gasoline footprint by selling between 2500 and 3000 kWh to the grid a year.

Mike

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix
ooops..
Damnthematrix wrote:

I can only guesstimate our liquid fuel equivalent energy use, but I'd say ~175,000 kWh, so your transport footprint is very impressive indeed...

OOOPS.....  That's wrong, I multipied our weekly useage by 365 [days] instead of 52 [weeks], so our yearly consumption is ~25,000 kWh equivalent.

I was really baffled as to why we used so much more than you even though we drive a more economical gas powered car than you must have used to before the Volt.  Hope that isn't confusing?

Mike

MrEnergyCzar's picture
MrEnergyCzar
Hi Mike

Oh, I was driving an SUV 17 mpg, 18,000 miles per year.  1,000 gallons of fuel.  Each gallon 33KWH equivalent so 33,000 KWH per year for the SUV alone.  You're probably not using 175,000 KWH equivalent for driving unless you have several cars and drive a lot of miles.  Volt is ridiculous because I'll use 40 gallons for 18,000 miles, drive 90% electric roughly.  Surplus grid from home, courtesy free electric at work, that's very key of course.   Volt about 8,000 KWH per year equivalent.....  More expensive of course.  My co-worker got a used 2004 prius with 120K on it for $6,000 private sale earlier this year.   

Living with no heating or AC is a sweet spot.  Sounds like Tennesse or North Carolina mountains.  Those are good peak oil living areas in terms of the weather etc...  

Peter

Attached is my heat pump hot water video.  You'll be one of the few that can understand well the numbers I put in the video....

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments