How Do You Deal With Abject Ignorance?

82 posts / 0 new
Last post
Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
How Do You Deal With Abject Ignorance?

I decided to solicit this discussion because I think mentally I am at my wit's end with the sheeple. Let me ask for feedback here. 

How do you deal with the anger, disgust, and contempt for the 90% or more of the American Sheeple that I quite honestly find to be: 

Intellectually lazy

Uneducated even if degreed. 

Magical thinkers. 

Lacking any understanding of formal logic, specifically: considering the bandwagon fallacy to be rock solid evidence of truth or citing an "authority" and ending the discussion right then and there. 

Lacking courage and in denial of anything negative.

Group thinkers and herd members. 

I think you can tell that I am more than a little bit disgusted with people in general and that's a horrible, rotten thing to admit. What do you do to keep yourselves from becoming absolutely fed up and prevent yourselves from developing a jaded view of mankind. 

I don't like this at all but I am an extremely observant person and the day to day witnessing of such unbelievable ignorance is really getting to me. It's just a matter of time. Day after day after day.... It grates on you like sandpaper. At first it doesn't bother you so much, but after a few years every statement of ignorance that I hear on a daily basis just echos in my head.

Maybe if you share a bit here, it might help not only me, but others that also feel as if there is no one that understands the level of frustration. 

Sorry if this is negative. It most certainly is. But that's why I am posting it. How do you become more upbeat and LESS negative and more empathic? My empathy tank is bone dry right now. 

Thanks in advance. 

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
Re: How Do You Deal With Abject Ignorance?

Oops. When I say "it's just a matter of time" I am not implying anything bad. I mean it's just a matter of time before it wears you down. Day after day after day. It's literally like Chinese Water Torture. 

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Morpheus wrote:

I decided to solicit this discussion because I think mentally I am at my wit's end with the sheeple. Let me ask for feedback here. 

How do you deal with the anger, disgust, and contempt for the 90% or more of the American Sheeple that I quite honestly find to be: 

Intellectually lazy

Uneducated even if degreed. 

Magical thinkers. 

Lacking any understanding of formal logic, specifically: considering the bandwagon fallacy to be rock solid evidence of truth or citing an "authority" and ending the discussion right then and there. 

Lacking courage and in denial of anything negative.

Group thinkers and herd members. 

I think you can tell that I am more than a little bit disgusted with people in general and that's a horrible, rotten thing to admit. What do you do to keep yourselves from becoming absolutely fed up and prevent yourselves from developing a jaded view of mankind. 

I don't like this at all but I am an extremely observant person and the day to day witnessing of such unbelievable ignorance is really getting to me. It's just a matter of time. Day after day after day.... It grates on you like sandpaper. At first it doesn't bother you so much, but after a few years every statement of ignorance that I hear on a daily basis just echos in my head.

Maybe if you share a bit here, it might help not only me, but others that also feel as if there is no one that understands the level of frustration. 

Sorry if this is negative. It most certainly is. But that's why I am posting it. How do you become more upbeat and LESS negative and more empathic? My empathy tank is bone dry right now. 

Thanks in advance. 

Pete -

Remove the empathy tank altogether.  And realize that most people are probably more accurately described as ignorant rather than in one of the negatively connotated categories in your OP.

Remember the first time you were exposed to this material?  Remember how you dealt with the this stuff vis a vis the 6 Stages of Awareness? 

Most of the people probably aren't the "Sheeple" you describe them as.  It's more than likely that you just haven't pulled the right Jenga block to get their pile of blocks a little wobbly - to the point that they have to start paying attention to "something" - that's when you step in.  And you will likely find them to be a bit more receptive.

Nacci's picture
Nacci

I am a fan of abject ignorance in the populace.  The last thing I want is everyone becoming aware then chasing the same items that I am looking to procure.  Look upon this "ignorance" as a gift from the Gods that allows you to prepare in relative peace.  Nacci.

aggrivated's picture
aggrivated

IF you are really concerned about what others think, and I emphasize that because many  are irritated by others, but don't really care about them.  But, if you are really concerned, then do what you need to for preparedness.  Martenson uses the term 'drafting' when speaking of leadership.  You are  like a 18 wheeler barrelling down the interstate.  You can't help but buffet the sheeple as you pass them.  Some of them will be irritated, some of the wiser ones will drop in behind you and follow you. But don't expect a caravan to form yet.

I agree with Nacci to the degree that right now, if many start going into preps for the future, there will be a time of rising costs before other suppliers come on board and bring the costs back down.  In the long run, having many like thinking folks on this journey will be most excellent!

Most folks are either deceived by the 'main stream' media talk or are just so in denial that they aren't ready to draft behind you.  There's nothing wrong with no one following if you are going to the right place.  The guru on the mountain doesn't start out with a village around him.

Here is an interesting site on what is being done in the UK  http://www.transitiontowntotnes.org/

Here is the link for the well written book about the project   http://transitionculture.org/shop/the-transition-handbook/

I have read the book, but am not personally far enough along on my own lifestyle change to begin to ask others to do what I'm doing. 

In a free society the only person we can actually change is ourselves. 

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen

Morpheus, look at it like this. Nothing seems to wake 'these people' up. Not logic, reason, or clear warnings.

The good news? They are about to get a real wake up call that no one can ignore. So it's really a sliding scale of ignorance. Some pick up on things faster than others but if things go south far enough eventually everybody 'gets it'.

livsez's picture
livsez

I feel you Morpheus.

I've learned to role play and dumb it down using key words that sound positive like "sustainability" and "affordability" in most banal conversations with the Sheeple. It's just a little tug on the thread, but once it gets too tight I flow right into talking about the weather.  Like Nacci said, I find solace in the gift of extra time to prepare, as I 'm sure we all appreciate.  

"It's not the end of the world, it's just the end of the world as we know it."  The Sheeple really like that one.

L

MarkM's picture
MarkM

I spend a lot of time by myself.  Even though I live in a major metro area. I do my best to spend as little time as possible in crowded public places. I tend to stay at home and work in the garden or take care of things around the house.

I would add physically lazy to the list. To me we have become "Masturbation Nation". In my middle class existence, it seems as though everyone's main concern is to be pleasured. Whether it be the next meal or what they are doing after work or the coming weekend. My employees seem to think work is just a necessary evil that interrupts periods of chasing pleasure. I look at fat people at the restaurant (when circumstances dictate that I be there) and think to myself, "Do you really need that meal?"

I am as rottenly disgusted as you. I am sure my friends talk about me when I am not there as I always have a cynical comment to make about most of their pleasure driven observations. When I speak of the never ending wars or the Federal Reserve or the massive corruption at all levels of government, I just get silence.

My answer is to spend more time by myself. Unfortunately, I don't have the resolve of some here to keep waiting on people to "get it". Although, I do agree that as things deteriorate, more will figure things out.

I get away on the weekends to a place in the country where the rednecks seem to work hard and enjoy simple pleasures, at least the older ones. They don't know much about peak oil...yet. However, their work ethic and willingness to help one another allows me to have much more patience with them. Then I come home and it seems as though many are willing to kill themselves or someone else to gain one position before the next red light.

Bottom line - time alone.

Denny Johnson's picture
Denny Johnson

I find that an appreciation for how fortunate I am and compassion for those less fortunate keeps a wide variety of negative mind states from arising.

Things are what they are because of previous causes and conditions. To get upset because things are not what we want them to be is futile.

The present moment is all we have to work with to improve things.

Doug's picture
Doug

I work with some very bright engaged people who I've spoken to about this stuff, and they have consciously chosen to do nothing about it for one rationalization or another.  That's OK, we still have a lot of fun laughing at the most recent politician who has done something incredibly stupid or hypocritical.  And, we enjoy marveling at the wild inconsistencies we notice between what the msm tells us and what the actual numbers say.  So, in a way, I just keep bringing up the whacky things we note here all the time and assume that sooner or later they will come around, at least once tshtf.  In the meantime its still fun laughing at the buffoons that control our future.  You can't lose your sense of humor.

Doug

ao's picture
ao

Pete,

I can absolutely hear you on this.  I think I hit peak bottom about two months ago with the exact same feelings as you.  I started reading inspirational books.  I really liked "Heart of a Soldier" about Rick Rescorla.  I started studying the Bible every day as well as other spiritual literature.  I focus on deep breathing and meditation.  I sing uplifting songs.  I go for a long walk on the beach a few times a week with the dog.  I got back on track with my workouts.  I focus on being more loving to my wife and children and the folks I care for, and yes, even the sheeple, because they too, are precious creations, despite all their (to my mind) faults (as if I'm so perfect, LOL).  I tend to be a prideful person and that was affecting my attitude so I'm working more on acquiring a spirit of humility (lots of work needed there).  I try to smile more and laugh more and focus on the positive.  In self observing myself one morning, between the time that I got up and the time that I headed off to work, I found myself shifting into negative states of mind at least two dozen times!  That was a wake-up call for me.  

And I know this is not positive but it gives me some degree of satisfaction, I try to do one thing a day that sticks it to TPTB.  Whether it's paying cash for a purchase, shifting money from a large bank to a local credit union, cancelling my cable TV (which we just did), not buying nonsensical Christmas gifts but giving the money to a worthwhile cause instead, pointing out the idiocy of consumer frenzy inducing advertising to a sheeple to encourage them not to be part of it, encouraging a sheeple to put some money into silver and gold, convincing a sheeple that it's better to go for the feel-up/grope-down rather than the body scanner, or whatever, it gives me at least a tiny sense of doing something to shaft the sons of bitches who are destroying our world and the world of our children.

Jager06's picture
Jager06

Well said.

I try to serve them. I don't know if that makes sense in this context. I try to do for them what they may not be able to do for themselves. If that means opening my chicken coop so that the neighbor kids can come check it out, then so be it. The kids get a treat, the adults get a lesson and an example of a behavior that is more of a healthy relationship than purchasing food from the "chicken concentration camps" as Gerald Celente so aptly put it.

Once people have seen for themselves that there is something else, anything else, you have touched on the chink in the armor of stupidity fed into the home each night and reinforced at the water cooler each day. You just let someone taste the red pill.

Wave someone into the position ahead of you on the road, smile at their confused look. Offer to help someone with their groceries, give a home made gift to someone who does not know you. Give of yourself for no reason other than that you are the only one who can give of yourself.

The grating stupidity has to be shocked out with ethics and social morality that has been nearly destroyed by our narcissistic entertainment. Have mercy on them, for they know not what they do.

ericg's picture
ericg

Plato's Myth of the Cave:

Mankind has been asking the same question as you for a very long time

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
Doug wrote:

I work with some very bright engaged people who I've spoken to about this stuff, and they have consciously chosen to do nothing about it for one rationalization or another.  That's OK, we still have a lot of fun laughing at the most recent politician who has done something incredibly stupid or hypocritical.  And, we enjoy marveling at the wild inconsistencies we notice between what the msm tells us and what the actual numbers say.  So, in a way, I just keep bringing up the whacky things we note here all the time and assume that sooner or later they will come around, at least once tshtf.  In the meantime its still fun laughing at the buffoons that control our future.  You can't lose your sense of humor.

Doug

I've had people repeated state that "if your information is not from a credible, generally accepted mainstream media outlet then you are a fool and a sucker for believing it". When I try to show them data they cite MSM and walk away. 

As far as political corruption "that's just the way it is". As if that's an action plan. 

I'm repeatedly told that there are 200 years of oil left. Hell, my older brother last Christmas at the dinner table became genuinely pissed off and informed me that "experts have found 7.5 trillion barrels of oil in Montana and around the Rockies. It's just those damn liberals that care more about trees than people that's keeping us from all that free oil". 

I have people that want an exact timeline for collapse and if I can't give it then I am FOS and don't know what I am talking about. 

Also, "the economy can't collapse. Someone would know and someone, anyone would spill the beans if this were so". 

The "recession is over. We just need to raise taxes and grow our way out of this. Sure it's slow, but be patient. We'll be back to normal in 2 years". 

And on and on and on.....

I tell them, by the time it's THAT obvious you are going to regret having waited. Silence....

Yes, I spend a lot of time in solace. But at the same time I am usually a very social creature. I have learned for the most part to just shut up because if you speak for more than 3 minutes people genuinely ask you "are you alright, you under a lot of stress"? Sheeple think that you are a mental case because you don't believe what everyone else believes. 

The bandwagon fallacy and the "expert X says this" fallacies are so ingrained in our culture (that is stupidity, nothing less) that they have become axiomatic dominant social themes of what reasonable thinking is. 

Solace helps, but I am a social creature. I just wish that I had more like minded folks down here around me. Sometimes being with others that understand the frustration is enough. Know what I mean? 

It's not my nature to be antisocial so this is asking me to go against the grain of who I am. I think the biggest issues I have are: 1. Getting people to listen, and if they do, 2.) Convincing them that the bandwagon effect and appeal to authority are not valid arguments. Good luck with that, right?

Ken C's picture
Ken C
Morpheus wrote:

.......... I just wish that I had more like minded folks down here around me. Sometimes being with others that understand the frustration is enough. Know what I mean? 

Morp. I know exactly what you mean. I feel like the lone ranger out here. Even my family does not understand so I have to be careful how I discuss anything lest I be considered  "eccentric".

TNdancer's picture
TNdancer
Nacci wrote:

I am a fan of abject ignorance in the populace.  The last thing I want is everyone becoming aware then chasing the same items that I am looking to procure.  Look upon this "ignorance" as a gift from the Gods that allows you to prepare in relative peace.  Nacci.

Yes indeed, Nacci !   And be sure to stack ammo wide and deep, because eventually a fair percentage of those folks WILL catch on, and resent you for having foresight......and you know what follows resentment.

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
TNdancer wrote:
Nacci wrote:

Yes indeed, Nacci !   And be sure to stack ammo wide and deep, because eventually a fair percentage of those folks WILL catch on, and resent you for having foresight......and you know what follows resentment.

Now you want to know what really rachets up the disgust and contempt? THAT!

Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

You warn them and they mock you. They call you crazy, delusional, paranoid, and a worry wart. 

Then, when TSHTF they resent you and hate you for being prepared and will likely do anything it takes to get your preparations out of your hands and into theirs. 

They fail to heed the warning. After it's too late you can rest assured that more than a few would kill you to get your stuff to take care of their suffering family. 

Arrggghhhh!!!!!!

Kick me while I'm standing, then kick me when I sit down. 

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Jager06 wrote:

The grating stupidity has to be shocked out with ethics and social morality that has been nearly destroyed by our narcissistic entertainment. Have mercy on them, for they know not what they do.

Yep. 

And to quote Plato:  "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle" which in this particular context we should add "for possession of their own minds, and their opponents are the dominant culture and the MSM, who are reinforced by their own fear and the fears of everyone around them."

Having said that, yes, I do sometimes want to smash cinderblocks with my forehead when confronted with an epic case of Will Not See.  At a community gathering (my wife and I host a "Second Thanksgiving" the Saturday after T-Day with friends instead of family) last week, somebody remarked on the two 25# bags of quinoa in our mudroom (awaiting mylar bags, O-2 absorbers and dessicants for LTFS purposes).  We bantered about it for a bit.  It was insinuated that I was wearing a piece of crinkly silver headwear.  I responded that one is better safe than sorry.  Then of course, the classic rejoinder of the unprepped -- well, hey, then we'll just come here if SHTF.  My new response:  "You really shouldn't.  I hate saying 'no' to people."  pause  "But I'm getting better at it."  Then I walked away to attend to some party detail.  

I try to be dead serious about these issues, but also dispassionate, and I resist any attachment to other people getting it.  I don't have enough energy to spare to worry about what other folks are up to.  (Having said that, see "cinderblock" remark, above...)  

It is a huge help that there are a few other folks in our community who are now in the Red Pill category.  I'm not a wackadoo -- or, if I am, I have some [email protected]$$ company.  You can see other people in our circle really having to grapple with what I've been on about for 18+ months, now that other sharp folks are on board.  I'll wish for such friends for you, too, Morph.  

Viva -- Sager

Nacci's picture
Nacci
TNdancer wrote:
Nacci wrote:

TNdancer, I am not sure I know what follows resentment.  Please tell me.

Morpheus did not attempt to free everyone from the Matrix, in fact he was very methodical in his selections.  He showed great caution in freeing even Neo, who he believed to be the Chosen One, recognizing the great dangers involved.  Did you see the video:

Now imagine a mass, successful freeing of these Zombies from the Matrix then a transfer of these crazed scenes from the worlds Walmarts and BestBuys to the local LDS food pantries or to coveting the same fertile piece of farmland that you hope to buy some day.  Nacci. 

bluestone's picture
bluestone

Pete

I share your frustration, but I think it is just the way human beings are.  I've gone through my own deep depression over this.  It's funny that I'm not so depressed that life will change in the future and be much harder, but I am depressed that no one will listen.    I believe that humans base their expectations of the future on what they've experienced in the past (that type of thinking probably benefitted them well in the days of the hunter/gatherer and even in the old agricultural societies).  If all one's known is prosperity, cheap energy, the abundance of food, it's very difficult to convince that person (even with an intellectually sound argument), that the future will be different.  I would guess that the people who visit this website probably had a preexisting skeptism about the way things were going well before the crash of 2008 occured.  I know that I did. 

I recommend that you try not to isolate yourself and be kind to your friends and family (though you don't have to share their belief system).  I trust that Dmitry Orlov is right, that one of the most valuable assets you'll have when TSTHF is friends, family and community.  There's no benefit in being isolated.  Part of my plan is having food stocked up and I plan to share with the very same people i've being trying to warn.  If I have to starve with them, then I will do so... Im planning this for self-serving reasons.   I don't believe that any Lone Rangers will last too long.

Brian

TNdancer's picture
TNdancer
Nacci wrote:

TNdancer, I am not sure I know what follows resentment.  Please tell me.

Sure.

What will follow resentment is that sense of entitlement.  You have, I don't, therefore you should give to me.  "From those with ability to those with need", as brother Karl said.  And if you don't subscribe to brother Karl's way of thinking, they will take by force.

bklement's picture
bklement

For me it's quite simple.  I just remind myself that for every issue I think that others are like sheeple there are at least 10x that others think the same of me and everyone can't be right.  For example a person devout in their religion would say, why are you worrying about preparing in this life when you could be preparing for what comes after. 

Jim H's picture
Jim H

Morpheus, and team CM... I am in the same boat...  I literally ruined a couples night out with my best friend and his wife a few weeks ago by bringing up the economy during dinner before a show.  I just can't stop myself... I love this guy dearly and I want him to get it... but he doesn't, and he thinks I am deluded.  Things are getting better you know... they always do. 

My direction in dealing with this is to try to find the most efficient and impactful means to communicate our debt predicament.  You are not going to get someone stuck in their sheeple state to sit for the entire crash course.  NIA (national inflation association) tries to make short, impactful videos, but I don't find them useful because, while mostly correct, they are dramatic and not (hard) data driven.  

My conclusion at this point.. and I would love to hear other opinions, is the the most compact, concise, data-driven (I am an engineer) , "oh shit" inspiring view is that which Denninger has been evolving for some time now in two simple charts;

http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=173792

Raw Debt Trend;

GDP relative view:

If you are a sentient being with any tendency toward self-preservation.. then I can't see how you can look at these charts of Treasury data and not start to get it.  This is of course to say nothing of peak cheap oil. 

Here it is in one sentence:  Deficit spending now accounts for almost 12% of GDP and 40% of our national budget!.. there is no recovery.. only an ongoing depression that has been covered over by immense gov't transfer stimulus and payments (see negative actual vs positive nominal GDP above).  Maybe today's horrible jobs numbers will help open some eyes as well.    

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
bluestone wrote:

Pete

I share your frustration, but I think it is just the way human beings are.  I've gone through my own deep depression over this.  It's funny that I'm not so depressed that life will change in the future and be much harder, but I am depressed that no one will listen.    I believe that humans base their expectations of the future on what they've experienced in the past (that type of thinking probably benefitted them well in the days of the hunter/gatherer and even in the old agricultural societies).  If all one's known is prosperity, cheap energy, the abundance of food, it's very difficult to convince that person (even with an intellectually sound argument), that the future will be different.  I would guess that the people who visit this website probably had a preexisting skeptism about the way things were going well before the crash of 2008 occured.  I know that I did. 

I recommend that you try not to isolate yourself and be kind to your friends and family (though you don't have to share their belief system).  I trust that Dmitry Orlov is right, that one of the most valuable assets you'll have when TSTHF is friends, family and community.  There's no benefit in being isolated.  Part of my plan is having food stocked up and I plan to share with the very same people i've being trying to warn.  If I have to starve with them, then I will do so... Im planning this for self-serving reasons.   I don't believe that any Lone Rangers will last too long.

Brian

Brian, Let me throw a wrench into your idea. 

Once you invite them in, then you have let the PROBLEM into your world. 

The problem isn't the politicians, the financial elite, or the power brokers. It's the naive, gullible, stupid and ignorant people that enable them. Once things get tense I GUARANTEE you that those idiots are going to want to have a say in what goes on in your safe zone. 

Except that they are STILL ignorant. They'll be operating blindly, invoking wishful and magical thinking, scared, not acclimated to what's going on and still doubtful of what you know. 

They are going to be your WORST enemy and you let them in. 

Brian! Give the damn food to the authorities! "They" said this is temporary and everything will be back to normal in 72 hours. I am not going to jail over this. I'm gonna tell them that we have extra food. 

Good luck with that. 

soulsurfersteph's picture
soulsurfersteph

Here's my big question:

Why do you need to hate on people for being not as smart and aware as you are?

When your dog poops on the carpet, do you hate the dog? Or do you get a little irritated, clean up the mess, and love the dog anyway?

It's one thing to be bothered by people not being awake and aware or as intelligent. It's another to *hate* them for being stupid. And then have that hate and anger eat you up on the inside.

Yes, people are stupid sometimes. But your hate and contempt? That's all you, baby.

Maybe you need to look inside at your own heart deficiency instead of outside at the deficiencies of others.

Just some food for thought. Said with love. Because right now, I perceive you as being the ignorant dog pooping on the carpet. :-)

PS Thumbs up on ao's last post. 

JAG's picture
JAG

Pete, as the local advocate for the "Sheeple" Laughing, I have to ask why you care what others think of you and your viewpoints? Isn't this the dominant trait of the people that are the source of your frustration?  Do we really need others to believe what we believe in order for us to live our lives the way we want to? Only if we think our problems can be solved by someone else (politically); and if we think that, then maybe there is not as much difference between our viewpoints and those of the sheeple. 

I firmly believe that the solutions to the problems that we have collectively identified can only be initiated by the individual. Be your own "man" and don't care what others think. Blaze the trail brother, and everything and everybody else will fall into place in due time.

Best...Jeff

gregroberts's picture
gregroberts

What Jeff said and also surround yourself with like minded people who will be your allies not your enemies when the ship hits the iceburg.

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
soulsurfersteph wrote:

Here's my big question:

Why do you need to hate on people for being not as smart and aware as you are?

When your dog poops on the carpet, do you hate the dog? Or do you get a little irritated, clean up the mess, and love the dog anyway?

It's one thing to be bothered by people not being awake and aware or as intelligent. It's another to *hate* them for being stupid. And then have that hate and anger eat you up on the inside.

Yes, people are stupid sometimes. But your hate and contempt? That's all you, baby.

Maybe you need to look inside at your own heart deficiency instead of outside at the deficiencies of others.

Just some food for thought. Said with love. Because right now, I perceive you as being the ignorant dog pooping on the carpet. :-)

PS Thumbs up on ao's last post. 

What does "hate on" mean? Second, if I was comfortable with the skin I am presently in I wouldn't have started this thread asking folks how they handle such frustration. 

What I am looking for are posts that, a.) use proper english so that I can understand what that poster is saying, and b.) offer constructive advice instead of feel-good banalities and platitudes and completely unqualified psychobabbling quasi-analysis. 

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater

Okay, here is my two cents worth of free advice.

Whenever someone makes a conversion--to believing in a different world-view of any stripe (religion, politics, health)--they become advocates for that postion. You feel as if the rest of the world is about to jump off a cliff that they cannot see, or that they all have the equilvalent of cancer - and you have the cure.

If only they'd listen.

Well.

They have to be ready to listen to whatever it is you'd like to discuss with them. Otherwise it's like talking to a deaf person. Whether it is willful ignorance (fingers in the ears, *la la la* I can't HEAR you!) or actual ignorance, the results are the same. You find yourself chasing them down and trying to get their attention, if necessary with a figurative two-by-four to the head, because dammit, your life is at stake here. But if they are the equivalent of deaf, you are wasting your time and energy. Possibly you're even wasting money if you buy them things like a Crash Course CD and they toss it in the trash.

So my personal way of dealing with this is two-fold. (1) I lead by example, and (2) I wait until they ask ME about such things.

Leading by example means putting in a garden, chickens, a woodstove, a clothesline, and not buying an expensive new gas-guzzling vehicle or going nuts with a consumerist Christmas. It means all the things you can do to be more self-suffiencent without putting yourself and your family at risk by advertising that you have a deep larder, for example. You're just an incredibly careful person about insulating your house because of your budget, and--hey--did you know there was a study that just came out that says the world is running out of oil, and isn't that new (energy-efficient) freplace insert with the glass doors pretty? You're a good environmental citizen: you love organic produce and enjoy gardening - and hey, if we have trouble wth too much inflation (yes, those idiots in Washington are morons) remember how $4.50/gal gasoline ran up the cost of trucked in veggies? You're just lowering your carbon footprint!

Every so often you'll catch someone who is concerned and wants to know more. That's who you share the crash course with. That's who you send to this site, or loan a book to (on peak oil or the economy) . Over the years, in Al-Anon's adult children's program, I've learned to deal with people who "don't get it" regarding alcoholism or codependency. What 12-step taught me was what I can control stops at the end of my nose. I cannot change anyone. It's very freeing to realize that I am not responsible for the problems of others. And they taught me that taking care of my responibilities is not selfish, it's essential. When others realize they need help I have to be ready to help them.

One other thing from 12-step that helps me prep is the concept of "one day at a time." Worrying about the future is not the same as prudently planning for it. Worry saps your emotional strength, leaving you depressed and stressed. Planning for the future--in our case prepping as best we can--is taking care of your responsibilties, and it can set your heart and mind at peace.

As they say at the close of 12-step meetings, take what you like of the above and leave the rest. I hope some of this helps.

- Safewrite

Romans12.2's picture
Romans12.2

I've suffered this pain.  IMO the problem can only be solved by not sharing what you know with the people around you.  I used to talk about it with everyone.  Now I only share with strangers.  It's easy for me to tell the cashier why I'm buying $735. worth of sardines and hot sauce.  Not as easy any longer to share with friends about the 25lb bags of quinoa in the mudroom.  I think our friends are relieved that I no longer bother them with my "warnings".  The way Sager is dealing with "don't come looking here for help" sounds good, but will not work when we are faced with starving, scared family and friends.  It also will not work, if we try to feed and shelter them all.  Our answer is to get real quiet right now.  I've tried to warn all I love for 400+ days.  I'm done.  If I had known how resistant and obtuse people can be, I would have kept my mouth shut.  We are prepared to leave.  No one knows our property address up North.  We will pack up in our RV and 18ft trailer, and Ford Excursion and GOOD.  I will pray for those left behind. 

Stop feeling frustrated with sheeple and be happy you have like minded strangers here. 

bluestone's picture
bluestone

Pete -

I can't say that you are wrong.  Im also fully aware that my plan may not work out.  I've tried to play these scenarios out in my head many times.  In my mind, I imagine that it's going to be hard to be the only guy in my neighborhood that's well fed without going unnoticed.

Brian 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments