How Do We Change Conventional Thinking Habits?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Poet's picture
Poet
How Do We Change Conventional Thinking Habits?

After reading the following article (which is extremely fascinating, by the way) I wondered:

What if we could crack more people's behavioral code and start recognizing habit cues, motives, and rewards...

What if we could piggyback the 3E message onto more people's habits, providing rewarding actions that can be taken.

Think of those people who may have watched the Crash Course, who then go right back to doing what they were doing or making up excuses about why they don't feel a sense of urgency...

In this story, are examples of Febreeze marketing and Target's ability to figure out which of their shoppers were pregnant and target mailings directly to them to boost profits. But the information on pattern recognition, habits, cues, and rewards

How Companies Learn Your Secrets (February 16, 2012)
"There are, however, some brief periods in a person’s life when old routines fall apart and buying habits are suddenly in flux. One of those moments - the moment, really - is right around the birth of a child, when parents are exhausted and overwhelmed and their shopping patterns and brand loyalties are up for grabs... About a year after Pole created his pregnancy-prediction model, a man walked into a Target outside Minneapolis and demanded to see the manager. He was clutching coupons that had been sent to his daughter, and he was angry, according to an employee who participated in the conversation. 'My daughter got this in the mail!' he said. 'She’s still in high school, and you’re sending her coupons for baby clothes and cribs? Are you trying to encourage her to get pregnant?'"
www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/magazine/shopping-habits.html

I am not trained as a behavioral psychologist, but maybe we have a few around on this site. Regardless, I think this may be a topic we all can brainstorm around.

Poet

Poet's picture
Poet
How Target Found A Teen Girl Was Pregnant Before Her Father Did

I found the above New York Times article by way of another article someone wrote in Forbes. The "author" (I put it in quotes because she's no author) basically copied out all the relevant passages on Target, and used that as the basis for one titled "How Target Figured Out A Teen Girl Was Pregnant Before Her Father Did".

How Target Found A Teen Girl Was Pregnant Before Her Father Dida] (February 16, 2012)
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2012/02/16/how-target-figured-ou...

Poet

ao's picture
ao
Information Awareness Office and the TIA doctrine
Poet wrote:

After reading the following article (which is extremely fascinating, by the way) I wondered:

What if we could crack more people's behavioral code and start recognizing habit cues, motives, and rewards...

What if we could piggyback the 3E message onto more people's habits, providing rewarding actions that can be taken.

Think of those people who may have watched the Crash Course, who then go right back to doing what they were doing or making up excuses about why they don't feel a sense of urgency...

In this story, are examples of Febreeze marketing and Target's ability to figure out which of their shoppers were pregnant and target mailings directly to them to boost profits. But the information on pattern recognition, habits, cues, and rewards

How Companies Learn Your Secrets (February 16, 2012)
"There are, however, some brief periods in a person’s life when old routines fall apart and buying habits are suddenly in flux. One of those moments - the moment, really - is right around the birth of a child, when parents are exhausted and overwhelmed and their shopping patterns and brand loyalties are up for grabs... About a year after Pole created his pregnancy-prediction model, a man walked into a Target outside Minneapolis and demanded to see the manager. He was clutching coupons that had been sent to his daughter, and he was angry, according to an employee who participated in the conversation. 'My daughter got this in the mail!' he said. 'She’s still in high school, and you’re sending her coupons for baby clothes and cribs? Are you trying to encourage her to get pregnant?'"
www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/magazine/shopping-habits.html

I am not trained as a behavioral psychologist, but maybe we have a few around on this site. Regardless, I think this may be a topic we all can brainstorm around.

Poet

Good find Poet.  Habits indeed are established easily and die hard.  Motor habits take on the order of 2000-3000 repetitions to change.  Hence the need for highly repetitious (with refinement) practice of self defense combat and weapons skills.

The other aspect of this article is where all this information eventually winds up.  Sooner or later, it will ALL wind up here (or the renamed and redone facsimiles thereof). 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_Awareness_Office

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
A Whole Mess of Insights.

Iain McGilchrist is a top level psychiatrist.

Many of the puzzling flaws in human thinking are exposed in this video. You will need to come to the talk armed with patience and a willingness to learn. It is one and a half hours long. On the other hand your contribution will be rewarded with a constant stream of non-obvious insights. All for free.

Prepare pen and paper and take notes.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments