How do I prepare Rice and Granola for long term storage in buckets?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
TommyHolly's picture
TommyHolly
How do I prepare Rice and Granola for long term storage in buckets?

Hey guys, I searched through about 20 threads looking over the last 45 minutes but this forum is a mess.

I plan to buy "Food Insurance" or another brand of dehydrated food in the next month.  Food Insuarnce products are very good, but they are expensive.  Some of my favorite foods that I eats lots of, I want to store myself.  I can practically live off Granola and Rice, I just love both!!  I was planning to go to Costco and buy a few large bags of rice and lots of my favorite brands of Granola and put them in buckets.

My questions:

1. What is the proper way to store rice?  I've read it's best to buy the special sealing lids for a 5-gallon bucket and add dry ice to the bottom of the bucket before you pore it in.  Then fill the bucket with rice up to 1" from the top. 

2. I haven't seen any good instructions for Granola?  Can granola keep the same way rice does or does it last not as long?

3. Should I use the oxygen absorbing packets instead of dry ice or use both at the same time?

4. Should I worry about insects if the dry ice or oxygen packets are used?  I heard as long as its not kept in a warm spot, I should be ok?

5. With granola, I heard that the nuts can sometimes go rancid.  Should I choose granola that doesn't contain nuts?  If I store granola, how long would the nuts be able to be stored?

That's the main questions I had.  This forum has lots of great information but the forum technology is so 1996.  It's hard to look for anything and the topics are so disorganized.  We NEED to switch to "Vbulletin" Forum software ASAP otherwise things are going to get worse.

Pops's picture
Pops
Re: How do I prepare Rice and Granola for long term storage ...

I don't know about what's here but I have some stuff Here.

You'll need to use your browser search but there are 81 instances of the word "rice" on the page...

Saffron's picture
Saffron
TommyHolly wrote:

4. Should I worry about insects if the dry ice or oxygen packets are used?  I heard as long as its not kept in a warm spot, I should be ok?

5. With granola, I heard that the nuts can sometimes go rancid.  Should I choose granola that doesn't contain nuts?  If I store granola, how long would the nuts be able to be stored?

Sprinkle everything with food grade diatomaceous earth and you won't have to worry about insects.

Consider storing oats rather than granola and making your own. There is more versatility (can make cookies, oatmeal,) it costs less and you can actually store more in the same amount of space. I can email you a recipe I make about once a month if you are interested.

~ s

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
TommyHolly wrote:

Hey guys, I searched through about 20 threads looking over the last 45 minutes but this forum is a mess.

I plan to buy "Food Insurance" or another brand of dehydrated food in the next month.  Food Insuarnce products are very good, but they are expensive.  Some of my favorite foods that I eats lots of, I want to store myself.  I can practically live off Granola and Rice, I just love both!!  I was planning to go to Costco and buy a few large bags of rice and lots of my favorite brands of Granola and put them in buckets.

My questions:

1. What is the proper way to store rice?  I've read it's best to buy the special sealing lids for a 5-gallon bucket and add dry ice to the bottom of the bucket before you pore it in.  Then fill the bucket with rice up to 1" from the top. 

2. I haven't seen any good instructions for Granola?  Can granola keep the same way rice does or does it last not as long?

3. Should I use the oxygen absorbing packets instead of dry ice or use both at the same time?

That's the main questions I had.  This forum has lots of great information but the forum technology is so 1996.  It's hard to look for anything and the topics are so disorganized.  We NEED to switch to "Vbulletin" Forum software ASAP otherwise things are going to get worse.

Tommy -

Check here.  We used the method Chris and Becca used for their long term storage (and taught at the Lowesville Seminar).  This link outlines what we did including lessons learned.

http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/successful-food-storage-day-9-familes-4-tons-5-hours-lessons-learned-recommendations/27519

I would not store granola for the reasons you hit on above.  Remember, this long term storage is an insurance policy - you hope you won't need it, but will be able to survive if you do.

We used O2 absorber packets and desiccant packs.  Dry ice is not necessary.  If you use dry ice I would also use O2 absorbers and desiccant packs.

If you have any more questions shoot me a PM or email.

When you get the chance, you should also browse through this sticky thread  http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/consolidated-list-links-existing-preparation-threads/27912

TommyHolly's picture
TommyHolly

-Pops, great article.  Really long too.  There are lots of stories in there too like the guy who was a war survivor of Sarajevo and how he made things last.  Basically after doing a search with CNTRL+F, I found that White rice is the easiest to store, especially in a cool dry place like my basement for 8-10 years.  (Most likely much longer)

-Saffron, oats not granola, got it!  Since I still have very little experience cooking anything, I'll get your recipe in the future.  Learning one thing at a time here...haha

-Dogs in a pile, after reading Pops' article, I understand the issues with dry ice and other methods.  O2 absorbers and dessicant packs it is.

Basically I plan on buying about a year supply or more of pre-prepared food storage for about $3,000.  I was just trying to get a few extra 6-gallon buckets of the thing I like the best as a supplement...rice.  That way it could even last longer, especially if others would be sharing my food source.  I'm going with Food Insurance (or possibly the Costco brand) because I don't need anything but to add water and I can simply eat different foods without preparing it.  I'll pay the extra price for simplicity and guarunteed 25-30 year shelf life.

New_Day's picture
New_Day
Re: How do I prepare Rice and Granola for long term storage ..

TommyHolly - thanks for starting a forum post concerning rice storage.  I love basmati rice. It's so easy to cook and yummy. I recently noticed that Rice Select jars are good for 3 years. Here's their company link: http://www.riceselect.com            Pops - thanks for your link with extensive info.     

Here's a good read on rice: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405274870390540457616421255176680...

EricBosloor's picture
EricBosloor
When planning for storage for

When planning for storage for certain items, it is always good to do a little bit of research of the type of storage it requires. You need to consider the material that is required, the size and shape of the storage container, and where to place this, that is which part of the house you need to put this – away from the sun, an area with less humidity, etc.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments