House GOP Leader John Boehner calls for cutting Social Security in order to pay for the war in Afghanistan

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
John99's picture
John99
House GOP Leader John Boehner calls for cutting Social Security in order to pay for the war in Afghanistan

Boehner Puts Democrats on the Spot

Cut Social Security to Fund the War?

By DEAN BAKER

In a remarkable interview with the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, House Republican Leader John Boehner explicitly called for cutting Social Security in order to pay for the war in Afghanistan. The article reports:

"Ensuring there's enough money to pay for the war will require reforming the country's entitlement system, Boehner said. He said he'd favor increasing the Social Security retirement age to 70 for people who have at least 20 years until retirement, tying cost-of-living increases to the consumer price index rather than wage inflation and limiting payments to those who need them."

In principle Boehner gave the Democrats as much ammunition as a serious political party could want. After all raising the retirement age and cutting Social Security benefits to pay for the war in Afghanistan is an idea that consistently polls in the high single decimals. We should expect every Democratic politician in the country to be jumping up and down demanding to know whether the Republican leader speaks for all Republicans.

That would be the case, unless of course the Democrats actually hold similar views. After all, several prominent Democrats have been saying in public recently that we will have to cut Social Security benefits (benefits workers have already paid for). These prominent Democrats also support the war in Afghanistan.

So, they may not use the same words as Mr. Boehner, but it seems that many Democrats may effectively agree that we have to cut Social Security to pay for the war in Afghanistan. It would be nice if they would insist that this is not true.

http://www.counterpunch.org/baker07022010.html

machinehead's picture
machinehead
Re: House GOP Leader John Boehner calls for cutting Social ...

It's hard to see how the Democratic faction of the ruling Bipartisan party can object to Boehner's 'starve granny to support the troops' trope, when they've just passed the latest supplemental war appropriation without even directly voting on it.

I am not making this up:

Ostensibly, the House was debating a “supplemental spending bill” to fund the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. But the House never cast a single, direct vote on that issue.

This is what happens when the leadership struggles to find the votes to pass an essential bill. Or better yet, when lawmakers are reluctant to vote on something in a contested election year. The way out of this impasse is to vote on something else. Which is precisely what happened late Thursday.

War supplementals were easier in the days shortly after 9-11 with Republicans running the White House and both houses of Congress. Democrats control all three institutions today. Democratic leaders had to craft a way to pass the bill, yet not vote directly on the legislation.

The title of the bill didn’t even mention Afghanistan, Iraq, the military, the Pentagon or the troops. Instead, this legislation was called “Making emergency supplemental appropriations for disaster relief and summer jobs for fiscal year ending September 30, 2010, and for other purposes.”

Unlike most garden variety bills, the issue never went to a definitive, up or down vote where it passed XX to XX. And there was never an individual vote on the war money. Instead, there was a specific vote to add funds for teachers, Pell Grants, summertime jobs and to cover natural disasters.

When Democrats went to the rule vote, the scoreboard flipped to 215-210. And Weiner closed the vote with a bang of the gavel. The House then debated the actual bill.

Pelosi had to throw bones to lawmakers who oppose the war. Rep. Barbara Lee (D-CA) offered an amendment requiring a withdrawal from Afghanistan. Another plan would have stricken money for the operation. And Reps. Jim McGovern (D-MA) and Walter Jones (R-NC) teamed with Obey on a proposal asking the president to create withdrawal timetable.

Only 100 lawmakers voted to impose a schedule for withdrawing from Afghanistan. A scant 25 voted to cut off money for the war, alongside 22 members who voted present. And the House defeated the withdrawal schedule, 260-162.

In short, Congress approved a bill to continue the war while thrice voting on proposals to end it.

http://congress.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/07/02/funding-the-war-in-afghanistan-voting-without-voting/

What this article describes is flim-flam artists at work. Quite aside from the government's negative net worth in the tens of trillions, a retirement program in the hands of transparently dishonest trustees has no future.

In this, the tenth year of the Bush-Obama administration, and the ninth of the Af/Pak quagmire, the slow-motion destruction of the nation is proceeding on schedule. President Bar-Hack Dubya O'Bushma will sign this travesty of a 'deemed passed' bill, and another $80 billion which might have been used to actually benefit Americans will be flushed down the toilet of his stinking bipartisan war.

------------

. . . . . . ."WHUT DO YOU MEAN I'M 'BACK'? I NEVER LEFT! GOT PRETZELS?" . . . . . .

machinehead's picture
machinehead

WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

Last night, as part of a procedural vote on the emergency war supplemental bill, House Democrats attached a document that "deemed as passed" a non-existent $1.12 trillion budget. The execution of the "deeming" document allows Congress to start spending money for Fiscal Year 2011 without the pesky constraints of a budget.

The procedural vote passed 215-210 with no Republicans voting in favor and 38 Democrats crossing the aisle to vote against deeming the faux budget resolution passed. 

Never before -- since the creation of the Congressional budget process -- has the House failed to pass a budget, failed to propose a budget, then deemed the non-existent budget passed as a means to avoid a direct recorded vote on a budget, but still allow Congress to spend taxpayer money.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=37893

HA HA HA HA!

Budgets are for little people! We are sovereign; we have a printing press.

We don't need no stinkin' budget. Cool

A. M.'s picture
A. M.

Machinehead,

I like your style, dude.

This stuff is almost like a joke, it's just not funny.

Cheers,

Aaron

V's picture
V

MH

I don't see what the problem is. Why have a budget. I don't have one. Millions of Americans don't have one. Having a budget presupposes having money . I have no money therefore no budget. The gov. has no money so why have a budget?

V

A. M.'s picture
A. M.

V,

This one should be simple:

The Government taxes people, appropriates their money and therefore *should* have some kind of sensible plan for its usage.
Nevermind that they're putting our taxes towards servicing insoluable loans for a second, but "having a budget" is central to any entity that handles a valuable resource or medium of exchange.

Not having a budget ensures that you live hand to mouth.
We can thank Keynes for the concept that governments shouldn't have a "save/spend" cycle like individuals, but direct responsibility for the mis-allocation of the wealth of American Citizens rests squarely on Congress.

Money is less important than wealth, and the governments misuse of money is degrading the wealth of our nation.

Hence, it should probably have a budget if it doesn't want to erode our productive potential ad infinitum.

Anyway, the idea that we should cut our domestic support to senior citizens during a economic crisis to persecute a foreign war of aggression is in the best interest of America is lunacy. The displacement that would occur due to cutting social security would almost certainly produce an influx of older skilled workers into an already saturated workforce, further diluting the median income of the average American.

Afghanistan was a "bleeding wound" for the Soviets. It will be so for us as well.

Cheers,

Aaron

Trinity's picture
Trinity

Well said, Aaron. Cool

If you can't see where your money is being spent, how can you make any plans to save or adjust expenses to stay afloat? Every person I've ever known who has been drowning in debt and having financial difficulties didn't have a budget (myself included in earlier years).

Not having a budget ensures that you live hand to mouth.
We can thank Keynes for the concept that governments shouldn't have a "save/spend" cycle like individuals, but direct responsibility for the mis-allocation of the wealth of American Citizens rests squarely on Congress.

Money is less important than wealth, and the governments misuse of money is degrading the wealth of our nation.

Hence, it should probably have a budget if it doesn't want to erode our productive potential ad infinitum.

V's picture
V

WOW

The greatest loss in this country is a sense of humor. 

V

A. M.'s picture
A. M.

V,

Kind of a heavy subject to be making light of.
Parlor Humor, I guess.
Also, might consider that sarcasm is not possible via the internet.

Cheers,

Aaron

V's picture
V

If you  read the post it is pregnant with satire Aaron and a large dose of reality.

V

xraymike79's picture
xraymike79

Sounds like things are going just as foreseen.....

Empires crumble from within....overextending themselves in such things as global wars while cutting back on social services/support at home. Its citizens wither while empire grasps at straws in an effort to keep its bloated self upright. Things will get even nastier as we ride the downslope of Hubbert's peak.

V, got your sarcasm just fine.

Trinity's picture
Trinity

Sorry, V. Maybe I was in too serious a mood at the time to pick up on it. Smile 

Tycer's picture
Tycer

MH,

Thanks. More fodder for my arsenal of how screwy out government has become.

I got it V.

machinehead's picture
machinehead

Boehner may be aping the UK, where public sector pensions are being cut back along with departmental budgets:

Cabinet ministers have been ordered by the Treasury to plan for unprecedented cuts of 40% in their departmental budgets as the coalition widens the scope of its four-year austerity drive.

The eye-watering demand from the chief secretary to the Treasury, Danny Alexander, was sent this weekend to cabinet colleagues ahead of a week in which ministers will step up emergency cost-cutting across the public sector.

The only departments not included in the Treasury trawl will be health and international development, which have been "ringfenced" for the current parliament. Education and defence will also escape lightly. 

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/jul/03/treasury-orders-cabinet-plan-40-percent-cuts

The new UK government has proposed to leave Afghanistan by 2015. Thus, 'defence escapes lightly.'

World War II was won in less than six years, but today's feckless 'Conservatives' can't even withdraw from the colonial hellhole of Afghanistan in less than five. One word sums up their plight: LOSERS!

Check out this helmet-cam video of British troops in Afghanistan. Unable to identify the source of incoming fire, they blindly squeeze off rounds of machine gun fire into the brush, hoping to get lucky and hit something. Instead, one of them gets hit. Only a feckless politician could imagine a favourable outcome to this deplorable charade:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/campaigns/our_boys/3038479/Shock-footage-from-the-front-line-in-Afghanistan.html

Slashing social spending to pay for this US-initiated debacle in the desert isn't merely misguided; it's malevolent.

machinehead's picture
machinehead

Here's a video of a high-school student journalist, interviewing an Arizona state senator about an educational program which he voted to cut from $550 million to $57 thousand. 

The kid has all his facts at hand. The senator, trapped, admits that he is 'stone cold busted.' Then he excuses himself, scurries out the door, and NEVER RETURNS.

Afterward, a commentator points out why the Mainstream Media can't afford to do interviews this way -- the senator would never talk to them again. Thus is all mainstream news co-opted.

V's picture
V

If anyone has spent mre than 10 minutes on this site they would know that the idea is not to win a war it is to fight a war. Therefore we have the war on terror which is a war against god knows who, god knows where for god knows how long.

The military industrial congressional complex learned this very well in Vietnam. War is the most profitable industry in the US. It uses up resources that have to be continuously replaced. There is not a congressional district in this country that does not have a defense contractor in it.

Social Security on the other hand since LBJ ( Vietnam era) does not have any money any longer. It was raped long ago therefore is a net drain.

So which do you think will be around in 10-20 years? I am betting on endless war.

V

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

It is altogether fitting that during the 4th of July Independence celebration our pretend government endeavors to become more and more irrelevant.  The governBank was content to work in the shadows after the 1913 financial coup d’êtat but now they are coming into the light and are obviously and openly running the show.

They want to totally demoralize the people through escalating chaos so that we lose all hope and faith in our once functioning republic.  Out of the chaos will come the new "order"; a very old feudalistic system complete with a moneyed aristocracy.  Step on the gas, the bridge is out ahead. 

I plan on celebrating today with illegal fireworks in honor of those brave Americans who chose freedom over security.  It is a bitter-sweet celebration as we are no longer free and no longer control our own national destiny.  We are run by a banking cartel that holds a monopoly to create and control our money.  We have allowed our nation to become a hollow and subservient client state that exists solely to serve our rulers.

Our media and institutions are deceptive propaganda machines creating the illusion of independence through second rate theater.  The plot makes absolutely no sense and the actors can't even deliver the script without teleprompters but the audience doesn't seem to notice or care.

Larry    

John99's picture
John99

I plan on celebrating today with illegal fireworks in honor of those brave Americans who chose freedom over security.  It is a bitter-sweet celebration as we are no longer free and no longer control our own national destiny.  We are run by a banking cartel that holds a monopoly to create and control our money.  We have allowed our nation to become a hollow and subservient client state that exists solely to serve our rulers.

Our media and institutions are deceptive propaganda machines creating the illusion of independence through second rate theater.  The plot makes absolutely no sense and the actors can't even deliver the script without teleprompters but the audience doesn't seem to notice or care.

Larry  

For me these words are hitting the nail on the head. I believe I can understand the 'bad guys', their motivation, their direction of game-plan, but it is the apathy of the people I do not understand. If anyone has any enlightenment on that subject I am all ears.

goes211's picture
goes211
John99 wrote:

For me these words are hitting the nail on the head. I believe I can understand the 'bad guys', their motivation, their direction of game-plan, but it is the apathy of the people I do not understand. If anyone has any enlightenment on that subject I am all ears.

I think it is a few things

1. Fear - It is hard to think strategically when you are always fearing short term issues (food, money, employment, ...).
  2. Bread and Circuses - MSM, TV, celebrity culture, propaganda, ...
  3. Comfortable Slavery - It is just easier to be a comfortable slave and let master (government) take care of you, than to be responsible for yourself.  This might also be related to public education which makes us, interchangable cogs in the corporate wheel instead of free thinking adults.

I think #2 will be with us for forever.  Even if things get real bad, people will fantasize about how the rich and famous live as an escape for their own boring/disappointing lives.  However #1 and #3 only have power as long as TPTB can keep the average persons standard of living up.  Fear is not so powerful when you have nothing left to lose.  If the government can no longer provide the comforts, people will no longer be satisfied with their slavery.  We live in interesting times.

John99's picture
John99

Thanks, goes. We do indeed live in interesting times.

Being an old hippie, I look back and want to believe we did make change happen, but then over the last 40 years we have fallen for other changes that you point out aboveFrown

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments