Hosting local CC groups

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
switters's picture
switters
Hosting local CC groups

I'm creating this thread with the intention of it serving as a repository of information and ideas for those interested in starting a local Crash Course / Three Es group in their area.

If you've already started a group, please share your experience here including:

• How you found/invited members to join
  • How you structured the group (length & frequency of meetings, commitment, etc.)
  • How you structured the meetings (length, format, etc.)
  • What has worked and what hasn't
  • What your plan for the group is in the future
  • Any tips or advice you would offer others

I'll start the process off in the next post.  Looking forward to hearing from you.

switters's picture
switters
Re: Hosting local CC groups

My wife and I started a local group about four months ago.  We had been discussing these issues together for years now, but wanted to expand that discussion into our larger community of friends.  So we invited about fifteen people we are connected with to participate.

We meet once a month for approximately three hours each time. We haven't asked for a specific commitment in terms of ongoing meetings, but so far everyone seems very engaged and motivated to continue.

The structure of the group is still evolving.  Rather than watch the Crash Course together during the meetings, we decided to watch it on our own and use the meeting time to discuss it. 

We have also started each meeting with a presentation (either by myself or my wife) on a particular topic or subject.  This is what we've done in the first three meetings:

1. Screening of the End of Suburbia, followed by discussion.
  2. Presentation: Four Scenarios for Post-Peak, followed by discussion
  3. Presentation: What To Do, followed by discussion

We have another meeting coming up on Saturday.  I will give a presentation on "Where to Live", which examines the variables one might consider in determining whether to stay where they are or move to a new location.  This topic also includes a discussion of how to adapt one's current home to be more resilient if, for whatever reason, they decide to stay.

The intention of our group is to identify actions to take to prepare for the coming years and to help each other take them, so moving forward we will probably break down the "What To Do" and "Where To Live" questions and discuss them in more detail. 

So far the group has worked pretty well.  Having a clearly defined structure for each meeting has helped focus the discussion and keep things moving along.  The level of awareness of the Three Es was already fairly high in our group, but if it wasn't I think I would have screened the Crash Course during the first three meetings instead of asking people to watch it on their own.

I am preparing to screen the Crash Course for my neighbors, many of whom I don't know that well.  I have no idea what their level of awareness is of this stuff.  In that case I think I will screen a portion of the Crash Course and then see if people are willing to commit to a couple more meetings where we could finish the rest of it.  Another alternative is to try to come up with my own summary of the CC that could be presented in about an hour, but I have reservations about the effectiveness of this approach.

ckessel's picture
ckessel
Chris Kresser wrote:

I'm creating this thread with the intention of it serving as a repository of information and ideas for those interested in starting a local Crash Course / Three Es group in their area.

If you've already started a group, please share your experience here including:

• How you found/invited members to join
  • How you structured the group (length & frequency of meetings, commitment, etc.)
  • How you structured the meetings (length, format, etc.)
  • What has worked and what hasn't
  • What your plan for the group is in the future
  • Any tips or advice you would offer others

I'll start the process off in the next post.  Looking forward to hearing from you.

Chris,

We are having our first meeting tomorrow evening (New Years Eve) to kick off the establishment of our group and to plan out activities for the upcoming year. I'll post what we decide.

We may at some point want to share info as we are only a couple of hours apart. I live in Sonora and you can contact me at [email protected].

Coop

dps's picture
dps

Great idea.  If you haven't already, consider joining the Martenson Brigade.  You can be a valuable resource to our group.  Best wishes.  I'll look forward to your coming posts.  Thanks ... Don

ckessel's picture
ckessel

dps,

I have requested the form so anticipate getting it completed soon. I also have noticed some members include their e-mail address in their posting data but I have been unable to get mine to show up. Any ideas?

Coop

Futuo's picture
Futuo

Coop -

your e-mail tab seems to be working, I can see it below your avatar. you can edit your profile and put it in your signature so that it shows up on the bottom every time you post.

ckessel's picture
ckessel

Thanks Futuo,

By the way, does the "tuo" in your handle have anything to do with TUOlumne?

Coop

workhorse1569's picture
workhorse1569

My friend and I are hosting our first steering committee meeting on Friday. We are intersted in having people watch the CC but the people coming Friday already have watched it. We are planning the response portion of the discussion. We are interested in both the Natural Step and Transition Town. If you haven't checked out the Transition Town (Google it) information I suggest you give it a try.  Very exciting and infomational.

I'll keep you posted as we plan our strategy.

Kate

Futuo's picture
Futuo

Tuolumne, as in Tuolumne meadows? Nope - I haven't even been there, although I'd like to go to Yosemite sometime.

Kate, can't wait to hear how it turns out!

workhorse1569's picture
workhorse1569

Futuo and others,

Well, we met on Friday morning (you can tell its rural and winter if we are meeting Friday morningSmile) 8 people were there. This was a joint meeting to discuss the CC and to talk about the Natural Step and the Transition Town movement. We decided that the TT movement was the model we wanted to follow and when we meet again, we will deside on next steps. The CC will be the main tool that we use to educate people in our small town.  If you want to know more about TT stuff, look on Youtube and search for Transition Town - Rob Hopkins.  Both TT and CC go together well. Not only do they use two letters that are the same but they complement each other.

What are others up to.

Dare to be visible and share your thinking.

Kate

fredbrent's picture
fredbrent

Howdy Y'all:

I have reserved a room in the local Library for the second Monday in March (9th).  I will be running an add in the "personal" section of our local newspaper here in Port Angeles WA.  I've told a whole boat load of people about the CC, but am not sure who has actually watched it. Who shows up will be interesting.  My goal is to achieve the "tipping point" in or community where the content of the CC becomes THE topic of discussion.  We've a long way to go.  I appreciate your suggestions for content, Chris.  I've got a few weeks to come up with the format.

It certainly seems some very difficult outcomes are inevetible for all of our communities - It is just hard to break through the stupor of complaciency and denial.  We've been like spoiled children having received benefits and blessings we have neither earned nor deserved.  We (the community at large) just know the blessings are going to keep on coming. When they stop, as they may suddenly, whoah! - not looking forward to that, especially in a community fully unprepared for the good life to end.  I'll keep you posted.  Thanks for this thread.

Brent

dps's picture
dps

My approach, so far, has been to contact the city planning department.  Results so far:

Westminster:  got the planner to watch the crash course, then he asked me what I wanted to do.  I wrote back saying I wanted to organize community meetings using our local grange and a bunch of other stuff.  He has never responded again.

Longmont:  got the planner and the environmental engineer to watch portions of the CC.  Next step, meeting with the environmental engineer tomorrow at 8:30AM MST.

Broomfield:  applied for a volunteer spot on any of 5 different boards that the city was looking to fill seats.  Dropped the paperwork application this morning on the way to work.  Mailed a city council member about the Minnesota legislature watching the CC.  Have not heard anything back.  That was yesterday.

I try to ease people into it by asking them to watch 15 minutes of video (the first 5 chapters).  If they are not hooked by then, I figure there's no point in talking further.

What I would like in return to this post is suggestions for how to form CC groups, as in, how do you get anyone to listen to you.

Hmmmm, that just gave me an idea.  Lets open up a place on this website for people to gather geographically.  I'll pursue this through the brigade.  If it happens, you will know about it in the forums.

Best wishes to all ... Don

ckessel's picture
ckessel

The text of a letter I sent out to all members of my counties'  Board of Supervisors and City Council members is attached for review. I will let you know how it goes with the responses. I included a business logo at the top but it did not copy to this page.

As additional information, I have been involved with my community as the Chairman of  our counties'  Transportation Council for several years and as a member at large since 1991. As such, I serve with two members of the City Council and two members of the Board of Supervisors.  So this letter goes out to others that have some familiarity with who I am.

Greg Applegate and All Administrative Staff

I offer the attached CD about economics, the environment and energy as a gift to you to help with the issues facing us this new year and beyond.

As I reviewed this material myself, a good portion of which was familiar to me due to my personal and professional interests, I realized that our collective future depends, now more than ever before, upon our ability to observe and deal with the real problems facing not only our community but, in fact, the planet as a whole.

Over the years I have been involved with the issues of energy, growth, our local economy and how to create jobs that will retain the youth in our community.

I am aware of the difficulties in dealing with mandates from state and federal agencies and our ability to retain, if not improve, the quality of life we enjoy in our foothill communities

I hope the information in this CD will shed some light on the sources of some of the greatest problems we and, more importantly, our children will face in the coming decades.  I am interested in helping to develop solutions, and I anticipate that working with you and others in our community toward that end will be a rewarding experience.  I look forward to hearing your comments on the information you find on this CD

Sincerely,
Cooper J. Kessel

ckessel's picture
ckessel

oops,

Looks like my above post did include part of the logo. Anyway, you get the idea of what was sent. I will follow with results in a week or so.

Coop

Rosemary Sims's picture
Rosemary Sims

Don, this is a link to a totally unrelated site which grew phenominally very quickly.  The members can choose to have their home towns in their profiles as well as other information.  The members are always meeting here and there.  In addition, the site has forums by region as well as by state where local members may chat (that is where most of their meetings are planned).

I've mentioned this before, too, but don't remember if it was the same thread.  The cost of full subscription to cm.com is very "corporate" imho.  At the site below, it is cheap but the membership is around 50,000 with over 7,000 paid subscribers which is way better than the 10% paid that one would expect.  I cannot afford to subscribe to cm.com or I certainly would, but I routinely subscribe to davesgarden.com.

http://davesgarden.com/community/memberlist/   I don't know if you will be able to get in (can't remember if you must register (free) or not, but one is able to search the whole member lilst by user name, or browse the member list by state.

Rosemary

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments