Homesteading 101 for anybody, anywhere

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
inga's picture
inga
Homesteading 101 for anybody, anywhere

I bought Carla Emery's book back in the late '70's, and I can't remember the original name....now it's Encyclopedia of Country Living.   It is part diary, part preaching but in in large part, one of the BEST books out there for some one who is inclined to try raising their own food, or living 'off the land', as things were referred to back during the 'first oil crisis'.

I can't say I agree with the way she did everything in the book, but she covered things pretty well....and I don't think she ever got the credit she had coming to her.  Carla Emery died recently.  The book is still in print, and worth buying I think.  I wish I still had my well worn copy (looked like a dog eared rag) and if I ever find who threw it out......!!

Any one else cut their teeth on that book?

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
Re: Homesteading 101 for anybody, anywhere

I do have it !   Have not had it out in 14 years  but I was curious if Mine too had been pitched .       When a person learns these things young some never leave and others come back to you real quick .

It is so cold out now that I think my chicKens may have their legs crossed ...  hope the momma hen is keeping her chicks warm . 

Cold enough that I ought to be curled up giving it another look over .

FM

inga's picture
inga

My poor chickens are STUCK in their coop until hubby gets home.  We had ice first, before the snow and it sealed their door, and my door.  I did get food and water to them thru the nesting box lids which open.  They have a heat lamp, and insulated coop, so they are happily perched up near the top of the coop, pretty snug.  Yesterday, when they had the option of coming out, they didn't, lol....so they are fine.

I thought I would freeze solid going out there.  Had on snow pants, face mask, 2 pairs socks etc, but still managed to get an 'ice cream' headache.  Eh, this winter is shaping up to be colder than usual, and colder than I expected.  Maybe we will get an early Spring?

I am so glad to hear some one else has Carla Emery's book!  It is still in print, but I think I had one of the first big printings of it...it was printed on pastel colored paper, green, yellow, pink....if I remember correctly.  Soft cover.  Gosh I wish I still had it.  She taught me everything I know about chickens....well, since then I did more research,  but she gave me the basics.

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

LOL  . I just looked mine is a ninth edition .  1994 version   I wonder what more editions are out there .   I would be interested in seeing an original  first edition .     My Chicken house is fairly large . Built in 1918 when people were serious about  raising their own food  .It is front faced to the sun  for the winter  and built with air flow ventilation in mind  and shade trees planted for summer .   The feed storage is built on with a brooder house on the west end .  It needs some TLC and my source for straw bales contacted me last last night  so my Idea to line the North side with the bales will  come about as soon as  we get a break in the weather .  However my chickens are not deterred by the weather they are out at the crack of dawn  scratching around to see what the horses and cows have dropped for them  .   I looked out there this morning and the tank heater was steaming up a storm ... note to self check out the window more often .  And since every one of them has come in out of the woods  I see  that I really need to whack the heads off some roosters .

The Bucket calves were out this morning as well ,  Good thing we do not have much traffic  but  I would have been  ticked if one one of those city people that are out this way hunting deer might have mistakenly shot one.   My neighbors are not to close down the road but they have no problems letting hunters on their land .  My  14 YO  son just got his first deer last week ...  I am sure it is something one remembers for a long time . 

I found a good sale on Carharts $25  so EVERYONE  will be getting a new  Pair for sure .  The #1 grandson was just tickled when he grew into his  youngest  uncles pair .  These are just something we hang onto around here  ... a treasure .  I even patch the holes and we wear them some more     Winter just snuck up on me , one day I was putting up pumpkin and the next day we were breaking ice on the pond .

So anyway I probably ought to see if the other folks around here  have this book in their library , can't say as I would be comfortable loaning it out to many .   We are  checking the seed catalogs and will get together after the first of the year  to make a bulk order .

Back to the fire and the book 

inga's picture
inga

I just bought hubby carhart pants and jacket....I told him I needed some.  LOL.  American made!

My Carla Emery book was bought in the late 70's....so it was one of the first prints I think.  Shoot, which I still had it.

Right now, 50 wild turkeys are out back, foraging in my neighbors corn field.

One of my labradors just wore herself out chasing voles under the snow....lol.  Her favorite past time in winter.  In summer, she switches to mice.  Crazy dog.

I wish I had as much land as you do....I'm lucky to have this.

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater

Full Moon,

Maybe this belongs on the humor thread, but did you hear about the farmer who had a lot of trouble with city-folk farmers shooting up his domestic animals? He showed his neighbor his solution.

He labeled all the animals.

The cows had "COW" spray-painted on each side, the pigs had "PIG" painted in bright spray paint on their sides, and the sheep, chickens, dogs, and cats all had hand-made signs around their necks with their species in big, block letters.

Come Spring, his neighbor ran into him at the feed store and asked how it worked. "Oh, the anmials are fine. But they shot the hell out of my John Deere tractor. "

inga's picture
inga

Humor is good anywhere!

I just put 'Don't hit me' on my new mailbox.  I can't afford to get a new one every time it snows.  I have a multitude of reflectors and yards of reflective tape on it....and a smiley face.  How much do you want to bet it gets nailed next time it snows.....next solution....a concrete pillar, 4 x 4 x 4.  I suppose the USPS will give me a notice that my box is not acceptable....or the highway dept. will say it is distracting with the reflective tape.

For years I complained about hunters and now, they really are not around any more....I guess that Chronic Wasting Disease kind of put them off......ya think??

Don't get me started on prions.

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

OK  Gals I need some wisdom here,  I have a neighbor that drives by here like a bat out a Hell  just to get to the sale barn .  He could take the highway if he needed to get somewhere in a hurry .   Well he hit my goose that was full of  eggs ... feathers and eggs went everywhere.  How do you tell them nicely to slow down ?   I said  good thing that was my goose and not my grandbaby or I would be owning his farm .   Haven't seen him in a while.

FM  

inga's picture
inga

Wow, geese get full of eggs?  I must be dumb....I thought they laid one per day, same as a chicken?  I need to read up on geese.

Invite him to your goose's funeral....he should get the message, and of course, you are being nice, by including him, in this time of great goose grief.

Ken C's picture
Ken C
Full Moon wrote:

How do you tell them nicely to slow down ? 

FM  

Why do you need to be nice?Frown

LG's picture
LG

Inga,

A chicken is also full of eggs. I once butchered a laying hen and she was full of eggs, starting with the larger egg to be laid next and each egg following a little smaller. It was really a learning experience. The eggs inside the chicken are soft shelled until hatched, similar to a reptile egg.

LG

inga's picture
inga

Wow, I am glad that didn't happen to me!   The full of eggs thing.... Are they ALL that big, even if soft?  Lord, how many are in there?  No wonder chickens are so ill tempered!  I have a lot to learn about fowl....and, I don't think any one should run over any one's fowl.

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

She was loaded    each getting a little smaller like LG said . She usually lays about 20-25 eggs and then starts sitting .    She is not the smartest goose in the gaggle  (obviously )  because sometimes she would lay where the dogs or other creature would steal a few.  Anyway they all cross the road to go down to the creek each day  However   we MIGHT get 2 cars a day come by here unless it is hunting season or harvest .  EXCEPT on Thursday .... this is the day I know this neighbor will be barreling  by here at 9:30  to get to the sale barn .  He has been kicked in the head one too many times if you ask me .  I say nice because he must have a screw loose in that metal plate up there. Who wants to make that kinda guy ticked ? !?

Funny thing is you could sell a goose at the poultry sale  for as much as $30 on up now days  and usually they care for  themselves.

You all  really ought to consider homesteading  look what kind of fun we have out here in the boonies Laughing

Go up to the county fair and watch how they judge the poultry  that is an education !   They get right personal with every bird .   I do like taking ducks and geese because the bath themselves .  You  have just never had fun until you have bathed a chicken  and Vaselined their waddles .

I am  joking with you but every word is true . Some of us like living this way . 

FM   with one less goose to cook .

Joe2baba just told be how to make goosebumps that might slow the guy down ... I will think about if I can get away with it without getting in trouble .  Thanks Joe.

inga's picture
inga

25 eggs....wow, and I thought octomom was bad!  LOL.

I feel bad for your goose....I would have cried.  But you are right, do you want to irritate this irrational person?  May be wiser to swallow the loss.  Poor goose.  I can't imagine he didn't see her.

Thanks for the fowl tips....I should read up on chicken reproduction, (roosters have quite a libido) and I will get the schedule for the fairgrounds and see what shows they have.  We like the horse shows, and I hit the sheep and wool one yearly, but I haven't noticed one for birds.....they do have one for rabbits....they must have one for birds. 

My birds are young, and we still get these tiny pullet eggs from some, but most eggs are getting quite big.

Well the woodstove is being installed soon and we are doing some demo, and I feel a distinct  'cool breeze' from the family room.....better see what they are up to.  I think I now have a large hole in my wall, and of course, it was -10 last nite.

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

http://homesteadgardenandpantry.com/       I found this interesting

inga's picture
inga

That is an interesting site. Thanks!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments