Homeland Security US Detention Camps

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
horstfam's picture
horstfam
Homeland Security US Detention Camps

Hello, All,

I was just made aware of HR 645 that authorizes the construction (only $180 million for 2009 and 2010!) of multiple detention camps throughout the country. Here is the link to read all of the text:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c111:1:./temp/~c1116IYFT4::

Perhaps the government, with all its largesse, is thinking that free-thinking people, such as ourselves, might appreciate free room and board. What are your thoughts about this? Just another boondoggle, or are they getting ready for something? If so, what? A congressman from South Florida has sponsored this; any import to this?

Thanks- Tim 

jrf29's picture
jrf29
Re: Homeland Security US Detention Camps

HR 645 doesn't authorize anything, since it hasn't been passed yet.  It hasn't even been heard by the committee to which it was referred.  Secondly, it doesn't authorize the construction of any new facilities.  It looks like an attempt by Mr. Hastings to bring home some pork, creating an excuse to keep 6
closed bases open as disaster relief centers.  If it were something ominous, or something which
somebody in the executive branch was pulling for, it would be buried deep inside a large omnibus appropriations bill.

The text of the bill is here:  http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=111_cong_bills...

This bill will likely die a graceful death in committee, like 95% of bills introduced into congress.

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

The issue which has swept down the centuries and which will have to be fought sooner or later is the people versus the banks.

Loard Acton

GDon's picture
GDon

jrf29 -

While this latest $185M proposal for FEMA detention camps may die in committee, this funding process has been ongoing.

In 2006, Kellog Brown & Root, a Halliburton subsidiary, received $385M, for consruction of further FEMA detention camps and facilities, which now number in the hundreds across the US.

These awards were Indefinite Delivery/Indefinite Quantity (IDIQ) funds - and were contracts "to support the Department of Homeland Security’s (DHS) U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) facilities in the event of a national emergency".

Of course, the "emergency", would fall under definitions as per Executive Orders. 

These Executive Orders, issued by several of the last Presidents, include the following, all of which place the President at the pinnacle of martial law, in the event of such a "national emergency":

Executive Order 10995: All communications and media are to be controlled by the Federal Government. Radio, TV, newspapers, CB, Ham, telephones, and the internet fall under federal control. Executive Order 10997: All electrical power, fuels, and all minerals fall under control of the federal government. Executive Order 10998: All food resources, farms and farm equipment fall under control of the federal government. Hoarding will be prohibited. Executive Order 10999: All modes of transportation revert to federal control, including seizure of private vehicles.  Executive Order 11000: All civilians can be used for work under federal supervision. Executive Order 11490: Establishes presidential control over all business and religious establishments.  Executive Order 12919: Directs various Cabinet officials to be on a "state of alert" to assert control over national economic activity, under direction of the President. Executive 13010: Establishes FEMA as the central control over all federal agencies in a "national emergency"

These emergency powers statues can be simply invoked by a Presidential declaration of a state of "national emergency". 

What is not well known, is that the U.S. has been in a continuous state of declared national emergency since March 9, 1933.  In addition to this state proclaimed by Roosevelt, we have also been under a continuous "national emergency" proclaimed by Truman on December 16, 1950, and Nixon's declarations on Marh 23, 1970 and August 15, 1971.

These states of national emergency have been invoked and in operating state for the majority of the the lifespans of American alive today.

The defnition of "national emergency" is completely open-ended, and includes natural disasters, war, insurrection, civil strife and economic strife.    The institution of the full power under these Executive Orders doesn't actually need definition, but only the President's decree.

jrf29's picture
jrf29

Dr. Luv - I must say, the picture of a flag waving behind a chain-link fence has completely changed my view of House Resolution # 645.

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv
jrf29 wrote:

Dr. Luv - I must say, the picture of a flag waving behind a chain-link

fence has completely changed my view of House Resolution # 645.

I wasn't trying to change your view, I was only sharing mine.    

Please consider a much more compelling reason to question your view - look at the fine post by GDon; Post #3. 

Larry

jrf29's picture
jrf29

Hi GDon -

I have gone to the trouble of reading these executive orders.  As I did, I must admit I became slightly irritated as it became clear that you did not read them yourself.

I have seen some of these executive orders floating around conspiracy websites before.  Most of them were issued in the 60's by J.F.K., and have developed something of a cult following with conspiracy theorists, despite the fact that most or all of the programs which they originally created have been defunct for years, and that these executive orders do not say what conspiracy theorists like to claim they say.

Executive order 10995 was issued in 1962 by J.F.K.  It says nothing about controlling newspapers.  It establishes the office of Director of Telecommunications Management, to operate under the same authority which was granted under the Telecommunications Act of 1934.  Under the 1934 act, the FCC was created and it was stipulated that one needed a license to broadcast on a radio frequency.  Again, this does not grant the government control over the physical means of communication, but merely over their use by way of licensure.  This executive order was revoked by executive order 11556, September 4, 1970

The following 4 executive orders of J.F.K.'s were cold war measures designed to survey available resources and provide incentives and strategic guidance to industry in order to encourage stockpiling and distribution in ways that would not be detrimental to the needs of the country in the event of a nuclear emergency.  None of them say what is claimed above.  Furthermore, each of these executive orders have been defunct for decades.

Executive order 10997 see above.  It was revoked in 1969.

Executive order 10998 was issued by JFK in 1962.  It says nothing about hoarding.  It would be peculiar indeed if it did, since this was at a time when the federal government was strongly encouraging hoarding.  It was revoked by Executive Order 11490, October 28, 1969. 

Executive order 10999, issued in 1962, does mention developing a program to study how to "utilize the air carrier civil air transportation capacity and equipment, both domestically and internationally, in a national emergency," but does not purport to give any authority for seizing such equipment.  It does not mention seizing private transportation media.  It was revoked in 1969.

Executive order 11000, once again, does not say a thing about forced labor.  It involves wage and salary stabilization, worker incentives and protection, manpower resources and requirements, skill development and training, research, labor-management relations, and critical occupations.  It was revoked in 1969.

Executive order 11490 is far too long for me to read.  I will assume that you have not read it either.  It was signed by Richard Nixon in 1969 and was revoked on November 18, 1988.

Executive order 12919 was signed in 1994 by Bill Clinton and does not contain even contain the phrase "state of alert" in its text.

Executive order 13010 creates an advisory committee.  It says absolutely nothing about FEMA asserting control over other federal government agencies.  It directs FEMA and other agencies to cooperate with each other in working with the commission.

Please read your own references before asking others to do the same.  In any case, if a president wanted to do any of the things you suggest, 40 year old pieces of paper by a president supposedly authorizing himself to do them would not carry much weight.  It is boots and bullets which would accomplish these things, with or without a piece of paper. 

Therefore we should concern ourselves, I think, not with outdated executive orders but with the simple structure and organization of our government and armed forces which might make such things possible in the future, if a would-be tyrant were to become president.  Did our founding fathers intend for a standing federal army to exist?  Why were they so afraid of standing armies?  Why was the system originally designed so that the country's troops were in the form of state militia units, which elected their own company officers?  Why did the founding fathers believe that standing armies were such a threat to liberty?  These are the kinds questions we should be asking ourselves.

barrt's picture
barrt

Thanks jfr29, ill be very interested to hear Gdons reply

and hortsfams link did not work, its http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/thomas for those interested

mpelchat's picture
mpelchat

horstfam, There is another thread discussing this issue and I responded to it as is below.  Remember this bill does not say detention camps, it says to establish "national emergancy centers" for disaster releif.  What the heck homeland security is suppose to be helping with disasters I have no clue except for detention camps for malcontents, but the sheeple will only see another action by our glorious government to protect them ((aka stripe their freedoms away)). 

3 points scare the heck out of me in this bill ((HR 645)):

number #1

"SEC.2.(b)(4) to meet other appropriate needs, as determined by the Secretary of Homeland Security." 

This is referring too the purpose of the bill and this leaves the field wide open.

number #2

"SEC.3.(e)Transfer of Control of Closed Military Installations- If a closed military installation is designated as a national emergency center, not later than 180 days after the date of designation, the Secretary of Defense shall transfer to the Secretary of Homeland Security administrative jurisdiction over such closed military installation." 

Remember these are the guys with all the power from the patriot act we are now giving them self-sufficient facilities to enact any action they wish with little to no checks and balances.

number #3

"SEC.3.(g)(4) ADDITIONAL REPORTS- The Secretary of Homeland Security, acting jointly with the Secretary of Defense, may submit to Congress additional reports as necessary to provide updates on steps being taken to meet the requirements of this Act." 

This is referring to any reports after the 1 year (or what they call the final report) of this bill being enacted.  After one year there are no more required congressional reports on these facilities. 

Lets sum this up, we are going to revamp old military facilities to be self-sufficient.  Give them to a group with almost unlimited power ((patriot act)) and after 1 year not make them submit reports to our elected officials and above all this give them even more power "to meet other appropriate needs, as determined by (one person) the Secretary of Homeland Security."

One more point, the bill specifically states minimum 6 bases.  The act does not put a maximum cap.

Is this really a good idea???

We already give power to one person for our monetary system, now we are ready to give another person locations bases to act as this person deems appropriate.

Time to e-mail my congressperson, I would urge you to do the same.

drb's picture
drb
mpelchat wrote:

..What the heck homeland security is suppose to be helping with
disasters I have no clue except for detention camps for malcontents,
but the sheeple will only see another action by our glorious government
to protect them ((aka stripe [sic] their freedoms away)).

See link:

Quote:

FEMA prepares the nation for all hazards and manages federal response
and recovery efforts following any national incident. FEMA also
initiates mitigation activities, trains first responders, works with
state and local emergency managers, and manages the National Flood
Insurance Program and the U.S. Fire Administration. FEMA became part of
the U.S. Department of Homeland Security on March 1, 2003.

Of course - as Katrina demonstrated - putting FEMA under the new Department of Homeland Security was an unmitigated disaster itself.  

Maybe those camps are for temporary protection of the numerous conspiracy theorists (after all, us "sheeple", as you folks like to call us, might just get pushed over the edge after reading one too many theories)

Ready's picture
Ready
jrf29 wrote:

Hi GDon -

I have gone to the trouble of reading these executive orders.  As I did, I must admit I became slightly irritated as it became clear that you did not read them yourself.

I have seen some of these executive orders floating around conspiracy websites before.  Most of them were issued in the 60's by J.F.K., and have developed something of a cult following with conspiracy theorists, despite the fact that most or all of the programs which they originally created have been defunct for years, and that these executive orders do not say what conspiracy theorists like to claim they say.  

jrf29,

Thanks so much for your legwork, you saved me hours!

I could have sworn that someone from this site (gregroberts maybe? or perhaps it was elsewhere) drove to one of these "fema camps" as outlined on one of the conspiracy websites and found an abandoned water treatment facility. The closest one to me is Fort Leonardwood, to which I have been as a vendor, and although I did not see every nook and crany of the place, came away thinking there wasn't any real place to store a couple million people as it sits. It would have to be re-configured at minimum.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=37.755583,-92.115211&spn=0.022971,0.038452&t=h&z=15

Then again, they might have UFOs and little green men in formeldahyde there, and how would I know?

best,

Rog

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M
Quote:

I could have sworn that someone from this site (gregroberts maybe? or perhaps it was elsewhere) drove to one of these "fema camps" as outlined on one of the conspiracy websites and found an abandoned water treatment facility.

Hey Roger,

That was me.
I called the mayor of the town that Alex Jones had talked to as well, and he never got back with me.

I don't think there is anything insidious at work here.

Aaron

Ready's picture
Ready
Aaron Moyer wrote:
Quote:

I could have sworn that someone from this site (gregroberts maybe? or perhaps it was elsewhere) drove to one of these "fema camps" as outlined on one of the conspiracy websites and found an abandoned water treatment facility.

Hey Roger,

That was me.
I called the mayor of the town that Alex Jones had talked to as well, and he never got back with me.

I don't think there is anything insidious at work here.

Aaron

Thanks. It's easy to get caught up in consiracy theorys, problem is some of them are real. I just don't think this one is.

Rog

mpelchat's picture
mpelchat

Hey thanks Drbarbour, did not know that, however the nasty directed comment not needed.  If you beleive fully in what the government is doing that is your right.

caroline_culbert's picture
caroline_culbert

Thank you, jrf29.

VeganDB12's picture
VeganDB12

This may seem unrelated but I was wondering about how Katrina was handled by the National Guard with respect to seizure of weapons. I have been told that, during the Hurricane Katrina emergency, local officials and the Guard confiscated weapons from the homes of New Orleans residents. Maybe this was a good idea, maybe not, but I think that is one example from recent history where the government can and has infringed on rights of citizens to maintain social order. I hate guns but I think the people who had them taken away may have felt differently about it.  Rule of law may be less of an issue if all hell really breaks loose during a national emergency. 

I work in New York City, and I recall being told by my peers that , immediately post 9/11, they were kept out of their homes within a many block radius of the site, after which  only allowed limited access for weeks by the National Guard.  Again, I think maybe the rules will be adjusted according to the situation when it really hits the fan.  Scary stuff if you are the one having your property or home taken away.

Regards

Denise

csstudent's picture
csstudent

I live a few miles from one of these supposed prison camps.  Trust me, if they intend to use it for that purpose, there would need to be some major upgrades done to it.  It's just a minimum security club fed facility.  Since there isn't a real fence around it, I didn't realize it was a federal prison until a few months after I moved here and I drive past it several times a week.

mpelchat's picture
mpelchat

Hello csstudent,

HR 645 has not been enacted, the sights still need to be chosen.  The targeted sights are old military bases. One year after they are chosen they are suppose to be running and than become without oversight.  That is how the bill reads.

There are some good links in this thread as well as the HR 645 thread to read this entire bill.

nkdroth's picture
nkdroth

Yes...Thank you very much JRF29  nk:)

csstudent's picture
csstudent
mpelchat wrote:

Hello csstudent,

HR 645 has not been enacted, the sights still need to be chosen.  The targeted sights are old military bases. One year after they are chosen they are suppose to be running and than become without oversight.  That is how the bill reads.

There are some good links in this thread as well as the HR 645 thread to read this entire bill.

Sorry, I thought they were talking about the ones that were supposedly already built or being built. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments