Home is now available - must see!

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
logBurner's picture
logBurner
Home is now available - must see!

Complete with free dvd as detailed on the TED lecture.

http://www.ted.com/talks/yann_arthus_bertrand_captures_fragile_earth_in_...

Impressive piece of work and all copyright free. Perfect companion to CC.

Regards to all.

logBurner's picture
logBurner
Re: Home is now available - must see!

Actually I should point out two impressive pieces of work the goodplanet project has links to the 'the other 6 billion' and then there is the movie.

pir8don's picture
pir8don

Great post logburner.

An excellent project. Am downloading the movie at the moment (torrent) so have not seen it yet. In the Ted talk by Yann what struck me as most poignant was his "question what are we waiting for".  Indeed many of us here were waiting too for some cataclysmic event that might bring the economic reality we recognize to public attention. It has become more than apparent that no such single event may ever occur and that the disasters which statistics so glibly gloss over are intensely personal.

So back to the question posed by Yann. We know what is wrong, most of us anyway. The question is what and how to do. The scale of the problems is overwhelming. And thats the problem. Scale. At the scale of the problems there seems only one type of solution and that is systemic. But all around us systemic solutions are collapsing, in many cases due to problems created or at least made possible by the systems (processes) themselves. So much so that I find myself abandoning all hope for any system. They seem only to lead attention to process and their only useful product over time is the helplessness that their inevitable failure finally engenders.

If we can recognize and agree that large scale gives rise to systems and attention to process rather than product then we might begin to look toward alternative environments in which to seek solutions. Perhaps on a human scale. What we are left waiting for without this recognition is yet another systemic response to problems of scale that is almost certainly doomed to failure.

Not new plans under the old vision but new visions without plans (after Daniel Quinn).

Don

logBurner's picture
logBurner

pir8don,

Worth the wait to download\burn the movie. Also available on youtube at

The only thing criticism I have of the crash course is that everytime I point people to it they seem to fade out and say all very good but a little over my head :(

I really don't know how much simpler Chris could have made it for God's sake (literally). Hopefully this will allow people to view the real events and then draw attention to the situation as they are used to it (video). My greatest wish at the moment is that Chris can get a link into the producers and team up. As mentioned in the video, we don't have time for pessimism!

We had Bob Geldoff in this country that organised Live Aid. In my opinion it was a good cause because it failed:

a) It became a donation

b) It didn't address the root causes - Sir Bob did an honorable job IMO but he mentioned at G20 that investment (50 Billion $) in Africa alone woud pay off and pull people out of poverty. To where? Dubai 2.0?

Certainly interesting times - thanks to all here for forcing me to continually re-appraise the situation. I promise to continue to spread the word in a way that we do not appear to be fruit cases.

Regards

logBurner's picture
logBurner

Don,

In answer to your questions \ concerns. I fear most will not survive the major problems we face.

"Indeed many of us here were waiting too for some cataclysmic event that might bring the economic reality we recognize to public attention."

Yep, we have to understand the nature of humans: The public will see it only at the very end (even though the end will have been described more and more accurately as the years go on). The irony is that the distractions from understanding the problems we face in real life - televisions, game stations, fashion, . . . are the major consumers that contribute to the problem.

" . . . yet another systemic response to problems of scale that is almost certainly doomed to failure . . ."

Agreed, the yeast cell is the only analogy I can use when discussing with people - the difference of course is that the yeast cell destroys itself and provides various useful by-products for the life forms in the same time frame. We are actually creating the coal for the future. In a few million years there will be a strata of abundant energy and minerals, with what we have done over a few decades we are possibly leaving a more condensed and easily accessible set of materials than that which was left to ourselves over thousands (millions?) of years Gaia will do fine - been through a lot worse than humans.

As you can see, I have no reason to be optimistic - I have met too many humans who are in control. Please, please, please prove me wrong. I am tired of people telling me that these leaders have studied their fields for years. They are experts for sure but given what you see around you does that fill you with confidence for the future?

pir8don's picture
pir8don

I liked the bit in http://globalmindshift.wordpress.com/2009/05/21/the-unforgettable-commen... where Paul said

paul wrote:

When asked if I am pessimistic or optimistic about the future, my answer is always the same: If you look at the science about what is happening on earth and aren’t pessimistic, you don’t understand data. But if you meet the people who are working to restore this earth and the lives of the poor, and you aren’t optimistic, you haven’t got a pulse.

I think we can solve our problems on a small local scale but unfortunately have adopted a money culture that seems to work for us in times of affluence. It needs to be abandonded in our crisis. It is unclear if it can be willingly abandonded. Paul above refers to the thousands of US houses sitting empty and the thousands of people without homes. My suggestion is that we can band together with our neighbours in small groups to attend to our environment and welfare. Just as we have always done up until the current "civilization".

As regards Chris's message - I expect people will continue to know but not believe.

Don

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments