Hi, I'm a Noob

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
V2's picture
V2
Hi, I'm a Noob

Greetings everyone. I'm new here, so I figured I'd say hello and introduce myself. I've been told that this is a great community (special emphasis there) for anyone who is in line with what CM postulates and wishes to be proactive about it. I'm hoping to meet some great people here and looking forward to enlightening discussion.

I'm a young man in my mid-20's. It was only a few years ago that I was blowing ungodly amounts of money on college tuition, swept up in an artsy major and not paying any real attention to the happenings of the world. My, how things have changed. I became disenchanted after a failed final project and promptly looked for a steady job. I was offered the first position I interviewed for and accepted it. I'm still there today, earning a meager but sufficient salary. I survived 2 rounds of layoffs because my department consists of 3 people - already bare bones.

I've never been all that trusting of the mainstream media or government, so during this new chapter of life - in which I have significantly more free time than I did in school - I sought out alternative news sources and found 2 gems - Mike "Mish" Shedlock and Karl Denninger. Granted, their styles are very different, but the information they provide has really pulled the wool from my eyes. I consider them to be true patriots - heroes, really - in an age of deception and "misleading leaders".

Anyway, after soaking up knowledge for a couple years, I started preparations for the rough road ahead. I've barely scratched the surface, but I'm sure that I can learn a great deal more at places like this. So far, I have done the following:

-I'm officially debt-free, as of this week. My student loans are history. This has left me with a little less than $10,000 to my name, some in bank accts, some in paper cash. I realize I'm already ahead of the game in that I can say my net worth is actually above zero.

-I've been stocking up canned food and bottled water for about 6 months, whenever it's on sale. Not sure how long it would last me in a worst case scenario - I'd say a month in the least.

-I purchased a .357 revolver and a couple boxes of ammo, mainly for self defense, possibly to kill small animals for food. I took a class before I bought the gun and tried it on the range beforehand. I feel plenty comfortable with it.

Where I really need to make progress is basic survival skills. I have none. I already see there are many threads on this topic, which I need to peruse.

I'm very fortunate in that in six months, my parents will be retiring to an isolated cabin in northern Georgia. Seems like the place to be if all goes to hell. I considered moving with them (they made the offer), but I've decided to remain at my apt and work as long as possible. A job would certinaly be near impossible to come by down there. I figure I just need to stay on my toes, and if the crap hits the fan, I can make the emergency road trip (speaking of which, any tips on gasoline storage? I figure gas stations would be hot spots in a crisis). I currently live in an overcrowded suburb, full of cars and nasty people. Definitely wouldn't want to stick around for the fireworks.

Well, sorry for the long read, but I just wanted to break the ice. Thanks!

-V2

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
Re: Hi, I'm a Noob

Hi V2!

Welcome to CM. Its great to have you here. I think you'll be in good company.

Travlin's picture
Travlin

Welcome V2.  I think you'll like it here.  Sounds like you are off to a good start.  A long gun would be a good addition.  You can find a good used pump shotgun for around $250.  Then buy plenty of ammo for both and practice.  There are plenty of threads that deal with other issues for your here.

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd

V2,

Welcome to the site! I think you'll find lots of good information, and excellent company, here. It sounds as if you are on a good path, especially for one so young, so congratulations on seeing beyond the veil as early as you have. I'm nearly 50, and I only became aware that things were "not quite right" a couple of years ago. My children, thankfully, have a head start...

Anyway, if there is anything specific answers you need, I think you will find people here who can provide those, or direct you to outside resources as needed. Parenthetically, northern Georgia is quite beautiful, in case you don't already know (I used to live in Savannah).

Again, welcome!

V2's picture
V2

Thanks Johnny!

V2's picture
V2

I do plan on looking into that. As with the handgun, I'll need to do a lot of research and then figure out if I have funds for a second firearm. Thanks!

V2's picture
V2

Thank you very much. I have seen pictures, and it looks quite peaceful. It's in the Blue Ridge mountains. My folks told me in one of their visits that they've already seen a bear on the property...another good reason to own the magnum!

Subprime JD's picture
Subprime JD

Welcome to the club V2

Question 1: how far do you live from northern Georgia ranch? (MILES AWAY). The further you are the higher the risk. Better to drive 400 miles in a bad time than 1000+ miles.

Question 2: is your vehicle in good shape, i.e. brakes, rotors, transmission, tires, spare tires, oil, alignment? Having your car superstrong and durable is KEY in this environment. Pre crisis I never cared about having a spare. Now, i always have a spare, full tire changing kit, first aid kit, and a 12 pack of bottled water in the trunk.

Good job with being out of debt!!!!!

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX

Welcome V2 -- lots of good people/info around here.  Settle in, pop some corn, and learn/contribute.  

V2's picture
V2

There is definitely risk involved, as it's a long a drive - about 750 miles - and my car isn't exactly new. It's a 2001 RAV 4. It hasn't required too many repairs, runs ok, but it's a situation where it could go at any time. I bought brand new Toyo tires last winter (they are great, noticed the difference immediately) and carry a spare on the back. I've been good about changing the oil. It could still use a thorough inspection with everything else you mentioned. That's probably my next project - revamp the car.

V2's picture
V2

Many thanks!

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
V2 wrote:

I do plan on looking into that. As with the handgun, I'll need to do a lot of research and then figure out if I have funds for a second firearm. Thanks!

Here's a good place to start for firearm info:

http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/definitive-firearms-thread/12654

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater

Hi, V2!

Nice to meet you. Let's talk about your folks, the ones that are retiring. Do they "get it?" Do they understand, as you do, that things are not quite right? Even if they don't you can ask them if you can store some things there. My cousin Peggy, who lives in a large city has an elderly mother who lives in a rural area but does not "get it."  Peggy still stores ammo and certain things there. (Peggy and I think many oldsters cannot emotionally handle the scope of the change that's coming.)

Yeah, transportation to your 'bug-out locatin' is a biggie. Get that car in tip-top shape.

Be welcome,

Wendy

V2's picture
V2

Hi Wendy. I have talked with them about it in brief fashion, and they definitely show emotional resistance to the idea. My father wants to believe that this is just a down cycle like all the others he's lived through (you're right, it's much easier for a young person to accept). I'm waiting for the right time to sit down with them and go into much more depth, which will probably involve pointing to this site and the Crash Course. Regardless, my parents will always welcome me into their home with open arms, no matter the reason. If I was a heroin addict, they'd take me.

Also, as I mentioned they are in good shape for their age, and also very handy. My whole life, I've watched my father build things from scratch. He can't sit still. If I show up at their cabin with a car full of emergency supplies and resources, they'll both be ready to complete whatever projects need to be done.

Thanks for your post!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments