Help understanding charts

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
workhorse1569's picture
workhorse1569
Help understanding charts

Help Please:

I am preparing a shortened talk on the CC for a group. This is making me really work at understanding the CC.  The graph of Credit Market Dept as a percentage of GDP looks very different than one I was able to find in the Wikipedia at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_public_debt

I was looking for a similar graph to use in a power point. It is not meant to replace the CC at all but give a trailer or snap shot to entice people to watch the CC.

The one of the Wikipedia looks very different than the one in Chapter 12

Is this a different measure? A different debt?  Help

Kate

Davos's picture
Davos
Re: Help understanding charts

Hello Kate: 

I just skimmed the charts on that Wiki. I didn't like them. Anything compaired to GDP IMHO is not a reliable yard stick. GDP is just too baked. I know Chris likes the one chart on GDP to debt but I think for many that requires some explanation before it becomes of meaning. He is good at explaining it. Still GDP to me is like an Enron balance sheet - total BS.

I think I'd look at Perot's site and at IOUSA for debt.

One thing I try to get across to folks is there are IMHO three things to "debt." 

1.  11+/- trillion of debt 
  2.  55+/- trillion of off balance liabilities and obligations (Mostly Medicare parts a and d and Social Security)
  3.  Deficit this year alone is projected to be 3.6 trillion by some estimates, I think larger
I know we all approach things differently but I would go about it explaining it this way. We are in the hole 66+++ trillion. We earned 12 trillion before the crisis, most of that 12 trillion was baked (Chris's imputation video on GDP). So we are debt junkies with a earnings to debt that makes Enron look good. When I see Maria on CNBC saying that 12 trillion in earnings/GDP and 11 trillion in debt isn't that bad I think CLUELESS *&#$. First GDP is probably about 8 trillion and that was pre contraction. Then you have things that we have to pay for unless we want to leave our folks to starve.

I don't have any good charts on total off balance sheet debt/obligations but I think it was in IOUSA byte sized video and you could do a screen capture on that. Perot has some good charts on the deficit.

Good luck. 

dps's picture
dps
Re: Help understanding charts

Kate,

I'm trying to get my presentation together too.  Have you learned to use the ftp site yet?  Have you found it?  I tried a bit last night with no results yet.  Give me hints over in the brigade area.  Thanks ... Don

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments