Help on survival in India, Investment/preraration advice

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
cipher's picture
cipher
Help on survival in India, Investment/preraration advice

Hi,

I have been a long time member of CM community, I have learned a lot in that period. Earlier, I was working in US, at which time I was discussing about moving back to India since I could not prepare myself the way others have, for the future.

It so happened that I lost my job in that period which , thanks to the community, did not come to me as a big surprise and I was, in a way relieved that i had one decision made for me. Currently, I have a better job, and family around me but like others on forum i ran into same problem that no one (including family) suspects future to be very different than today, atleast not in the direction we see it. Now it is even more difficult to make them believe the facts, since crash course is centered towards US scenario. Obviously oil and natural resources affect everyone.

Everyone , including my spouse wants us to get a flat ....... in a big apartment complex . i have some money that i have invested in gold but am unsure how to invest rest of the money and whether I will get time to sell the house off , when the prices will begin to reduce again..........

please advice on what would you do , in such a situation....

mobius's picture
mobius
Re: Help on survival in India, Investment/preraration ...

Hi Cipher,

I'd be leery to give any advice because on you know your situation best.  However, as a Canadian living in Holland, I will give you some of the considerations extracted from Chris's work applied to my situation.

For example the Food Supply.  Consider what you eat and where it comes from.  Here in Holland there is plenty of agriculture (although much of it in high-energy consumption green houses) and a short distribution channel.  Our pantry is stocked with long shelf life products (about a 10-day supply worth) with the stuff my family likes the most (pasta, beans).  In part of my personal preparedness, I  have become reaquainted with baking (bread, pizza dough, cookies) and pasta making (mixing with elbow grease and not elec. gadgets).  Therefore baking supplies are always fully stocked.  We eat seasonally fresh veg (to help reduce costs) and rediscover some old, indigenous sorts (parsnip!).  Ground in these parts are fertile and my father-in-law is quite the gardener so if the worst should happen, we have a lot on which to grow and a wise old man to tell us how to do it.

Health:  We have health insurance (kids free), so we maintain check ups, try to stay fit by walking/biking whenever convinient, keep 5 tubes of toothpaste stocked with extra tooth brushes and floss.  First aid supply is regularly checked (expiration dates) and I have a good stock pile of bandages, gloves and disinfectant.

Energy: Is heating or cooling the big energy eater in your part of the world?  Where we live, we have a moderate sea climate that means that the summers are mild, the winters above freezing and always count on rain at any time of the year.  Heating is the biggest chunk of the energy bill.  And this has proved an important factor in our energy improvement investments in the house.  We insulated the roof (saved 25% on heating in the first year) and we reduced electricity consumption just by changing to energy saving light bulbs, replacing written-off applicances and not being wasteful.  I wash clothing when the sun shines so that it can (mostly) dry outside.  We have considered Solar PVs but they are not an option for us.  The ROI just isn't there since we use 2000 kWh per year and have precious little in the fridge/freezer.  We are, however, cognizant that we run a risk if there are problems with the grid.  Having said this, we are consiously keeping our gas range so that there is a source of heat/energy should the electrics fall away. 

Where to live:   My husband and I have chosen living in the center of a small city.  We liked the charm of an older house and everything we need is within walking/cycling distance to public transport.  I take my bike to work (30min one way) although hubby takes the car. 

Good luck & cheers!

Joanne.

cipher's picture
cipher
Re: Help on survival in India, Investment/preraration ...

Thanks Joanne,

I have also considered the vectors that you pointed out. for Food supply, I have identified the sources of food from farmers of nearby villages but these will not be sufficient if they had to supply all the food alone. This calls for agriculture on my part ......... which i am not prepared for ..!

Energy : We would not need heating or cooling power, and so, there i feel ok from survival point of view, although , having some energy handy would definitely improve quality of life.......

Health: I have average health , and am trying to persuade others in my family to improve upon theirs as well as improve mine!

the biggest problem I have now is to find a way to persuade others to basically start building resilience on our own part, I am still looking for some pointers that I could bank on to convince them to believe me..........

tomelam's picture
tomelam
You're a thoughtful person, cipher

Cipher,

I am exploring a lot of the same issues as you.  I'm an expat American (no Indian ancestry) living in Bangalore with my Indian wife.  If you'd like to start a club to explore the issues, email me at [email protected].  I have been collecting books on economics (Roubini, Rogoff, Stiglitz, etc.) and other helpful, practical subjects.

Some of those authors mention the international fallout when a panic starts.  The 2008 meltdown was forshadowed by crises in Mexico, Latin America, and Asia Pacific.

Does your family know what happened in India in 1991?  Extremely shocking!  Read every word of the following -- carefully.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_India_economic_crisis :

The caretaker government in India headed by Prime Minister Chandra Shekhar, and Finance Minister Yashwant Sinha’s immediate response was to secure an emergency loan of $2.2 billion[8] from the International Monetary Fund by pledging 67 tons of India's gold reserves as collateral.[1][8] TheReserve Bank of India had to airlift 47 tons of gold to the Bank of England[2][4] and 20 tons of gold to the Union Bank of Switzerland to raise $600 million.[2][4][9] National sentiments were outraged and there was public outcry when its was learned that the government had pledged the country's entire gold reserves against the loan.[2][7] Interestingly, it was later revealed that the van transporting the gold to the airport broke down on route and panic followed.[1] A chartered plane ferried the precious cargo to London between 21 May and 31 May 1991, jolting the country out of an economic slumber.[2] Chandra Shekhar government had collapsed a few months after having authorized the airlift.[2] The move helped tide over the balance of payment crisis and kick-started Manmohan Singh’s economic reform process.[4]

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments