Healthcare Forum Category

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Healthcare Forum Category

I just sent the following email off to admin:

c1oudfire wrote:

I have noticed that there is a growing number of threads that address the issue of healthcare during the ongoing crisis.  It would be convenient for those who are interested in this topic to have a separate forum category for healthcare, so that it's easy to find, follow, and refer back to this topic.
Also, many of us feel that this is a critical part of preparing for the future, and that it deserves to have its own "home".  Some of the comments on the forums have been trying to assign healthcare its own "E", to elevate it to the status it deserves, as without health, one can hardly secure the other necessities of life.

I think that the interest generated by the various healthcare threads, as well as the quality of the posts, validate that the healthcare issue deserves to by elevated to its own forum category.  If you feel the same, please drop an email to admin.  My hope is that this will help to bring this issue closer to the fore, as it seems to get eclipsed by food, energy, gold and arms.

switters's picture
switters
Re: Healthcare Forum Category

I'd like to see this too.  One of the primary reasons I decided to study acupuncture and herbal medicine is that I think our modern "disease-care" system is going to share the same fate as our financial and economic system. 

Let's face it: even in the best of times, U.S. healthcare has been woefully inadequate.  40-50 million people don't have insurance at all.  And spite of the fact that the U.S. far more on healthcare than any other nation - 16% of our GDP, or $2 trillion - our standard of care is among the lowest.

The U.S. ranks just 34th in the world in life expectancy and 29th for infant mortality. Of 13 countries in a recent comparison, the United States ranks an average of 12th (second from bottom) for 16 available health indicators.

Even worse, a recent study by Dr. Barbara Starfield published in 2000 in the prestigious Journal of the American Medical Association demonstrated that iatrogenic incidents (events caused by medical intervention) are the 3rd leading cause of death in this country, causing more than 250,000 deaths per year. Only heart disease and cancer kill more people. 

This is how things have been in the best of times.  Imagine how they're going to get as the economy continues to collapse.

Our continued obsession with high-tech medicine distracts us from the simple practices necessary to maintain health, such as proper nutrition, physical activity and stress management.  This isn't surprising.  Pharmaceutical companies have nothing to gain by emphasizing the importance of preventative care.

So-called "alternative" modalities (which existed for thousands of years before conventional medicine become prominent) like acupuncture are proven to be effective for the everyday maladies that plague us most.  Acupuncture is safe, has few side effects and risks, and is extremely cost effective.  Pharmaceutical medicine, on the other hand, isn't effective for the common cold, irritable bowel syndrome, depression or other conditions that are the main causes of disability and absence from work.  Drugs often have serious side effects and risks (including death), and they cost patients and taxpayers billions of dollars per year.

Many people would love to make acupuncture a regular part of their healthcare regimen, but the cost can be prohibitive.  At an average of $65-85 per treatment nationwide (even higher in urban markets), only a very small percentage of the population can afford regular treatments.  However, a new model of providing care called Community Acupuncture (CA) is addressing this issue.  CA is a low-cost, high volume model which offers treatments on a sliding scale of $15 - $40 - less than the cost of an insurance co-payment in many cases.  Patients are treated in reclining chairs, often arranged in a circle in a large room.  Distal points below the elbows and knees are utlized for their effectiveness and to eliminate the need for patients to disrobe.

Community Acupuncture is growing like wildfire across the country.  And it's obvious why: many people are dissatisfied with conventional care, don't have health insurance and can't afford to pay out-of-pocket for doctors or traditional acupuncture.  I think Community Acupuncture is great exampe of how we can successfully adapt to the coming economic and social challenges.  It also demonstrates that the adaptation isn't always a step back - in fact, it can be a huge improvement over the previous way of doing things.  After all, the status quo is what got us into this mess.  Don't we need a change?

If you're interested in learning more about Community Acupuncture, read this article.

To locate a clinic in your area, go here.

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Chris Kresser wrote:

a recent study by Dr. Barbara Starfield published in 2000 in the prestigious Journal of the American Medical Association demonstrated that iatrogenic incidents (events caused by medical intervention) are the 3rd leading cause of death in this country, causing more than 250,000 deaths per year. Only heart disease and cancer kill more people. 

Thanks so much, Chris for digging up these figures.  I wanted to quote them earlier in this forum, but couldn't remember the source.

Thanks, too for posting your description of community acupuncture.  What a great, practical, applicable resource for the lean times ahead! 

I'd also be interested in whether I can be trained in a few simple acupuncture techniques (I am already trained as an ICU RN), just for personal use, not professional.  If I find a way to get trained informally, where can I buy supplies?  If you're not comfortable responding online, feel free to email me.

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire

switters's picture
switters
c1oudfire wrote:
Chris Kresser wrote:

a recent study by Dr. Barbara Starfield published in 2000 in the prestigious Journal of the American Medical Association demonstrated that iatrogenic incidents (events caused by medical intervention) are the 3rd leading cause of death in this country, causing more than 250,000 deaths per year. Only heart disease and cancer kill more people. 

I'd also be interested in whether I can be trained in a few simple acupuncture techniques (I am already trained as an ICU RN), just for personal use, not professional.  If I find a way to get trained informally, where can I buy supplies?  If you're not comfortable responding online, feel free to email me.

I'm not aware of any programs like that - except for MDs.   Another approach would be to take some acupuressure classes.  You'll get the basic theory that way, and even learn some of the most important points.  Then it's just a matter of sticking needles in the points instead of pressing on them! 

Seriously, if you can find someone to show you that's the best way.  I don't advise doing it on your own without some instruction. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments