Has anyone heard from FullMoon?

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
Saffron's picture
Saffron
Has anyone heard from FullMoon?

Sorry, this doesn't have anything to do with the 3 E's ... just with community which I consider our little online site to be. I'm not sure exactly where site member FullMoon lives but based on something she pm'd me once and the fact that I've seen nothing posted from her recently, I worry she may have been in the flood zone. I have pm'd her and not received a response. If anyone knows and can update us, I'm sure there are many who would appreciate it.

~ Saffron 

Ready's picture
Ready
FM

Hi Saffron,

I can't speak for full moon, but I have family and friends in the plain. Good news is we had lots of time to see this coming and make preps.

I'm pretty sure that even if her home is in the flood plain, she will personally be OK.

Good luck FM!

earthwise's picture
earthwise
Montana, maybe

Hi Saffron,

I thought that Full Moon had indicated a while back that she lives in Montana. Not sure though, just a hazy memory.

Poet's picture
Poet
Full Moon Is In Kansas

Actually she's in Kansas.
http://www.peakprosperity.com/comment/93467#comment-93467

I haven't heard from her either, however. The last posts I recall were from the middle of March, shortly after the Fukushima disaster onset.

Hello! We miss you, Full Moon!

Poet

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
I am here .. FM
Poet wrote:

Actually she's in Kansas.
http://www.peakprosperity.com/comment/93467#comment-93467

I haven't heard from her either, however. The last posts I recall were from the middle of March, shortly after the Fukushima disaster onset.

Hello! We miss you, Full Moon!

Poet

Saffron's picture
Saffron
I am here ... FM

For some reason FullMoon is unable to post. She did manage to send me a private message, but had never received mine, so I guess she is not receiving messages either. Hoping this is just a glitch and we'll be "seeing" her again soon.

This part of her message that made me smile, so I thought I'd share:

A semi turned over and left me 30 boxes of apples this week so the canners are cranked on . I am just plugging away with preps here on my homestead.

glad you're still around, FM!

~ s

maceves's picture
maceves
apples

That is so funny. We should have known.

Romans12.2's picture
Romans12.2
Apples are what I need need

Apples are what I need need right now.  Business is the best distraction from worry.

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
I can't even send you a message Romans . write me a PM and I c
pinecarr's picture
pinecarr
Glad you're ok, FM!  Was a

Glad you're ok, FM!  Was a little concerned when no one had heard from you!

Moderator Jason's picture
Moderator Jason
Re: Has anyone heard from FullMoon?

We're looking into whether there are any technical problems on our end that might prevent Full Moon from accessing the site normally.

Poet's picture
Poet
How About This...
Moderator Jason wrote:

We're looking into whether there are any technical problems on our end that might prevent Full Moon from accessing the site normally.

Jason

Is this till going on? We haven't heard from Full Moon in the meantime.

If it is a technical difficulty at the CM end, how about a new user name be created for temporary posting. Maybe a later merger can take place. New Moon sounds cool.

If it's a browser or Internet issue, I'm sorry to hear about that.

Poet

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
LOL Like being a mom .. talk and no one hears you .
Poet wrote:
Moderator Jason wrote:

Jason

Is this till going on? We haven't heard from Full Moon in the meantime.

If it is a technical difficulty at the CM end, how about a new user name be created for temporary posting. Maybe a later merger can take place. New Moon sounds cool.

If it's a browser or Internet issue, I'm sorry to hear about that.

Poet

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
firefox works

Firefox  seems to be the trick ..   lost all my bookmarked sites though Frown       Well  to be fair I did not give her the heads up to save them .

FM

Saffron's picture
Saffron
Welcome back!

:-)

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
Thanks Saffron

I am down to 8 crates of apples to can up now .  And if the weather would calm down  it would get done a lot sooner .  I supose all the earthquakes stirring up the pacific has gotten the La Nina  spinning off all the Tornados and Thunderstorms . Anyway  I may have to bring the work inside to get it finished because I am sure the temperature will get high before I am done.... My kids are starting to fizzle out on the project .  LOL

Apple Crisp anyone !?!?

FM

Poet's picture
Poet
Welcome Back!!!
Full Moon wrote:

Firefox  seems to be the trick ..   lost all my bookmarked sites though Frown       Well  to be fair I did not give her the heads up to save them .

FM

Hooray! I am so glad that worked! You can go back to using Internet Explorer for other things and use FireFox to view and post.

But if you want to make the switch to FireFox permanent, you can import bookmarks. Instructions on the page below:
http://www.ehow.com/how_1000391_import-bookmarks-firefox.html

Welcome back!!! Apple crisps sound great!

Poet

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
kombucha

I need help here .  I am on day 3 of the tea and  my Kombucha looks like snot floating on the tea with mold growing in little blobs .   Technical Huh .       What am I doing wrong ?

FM

Poet's picture
Poet
Kombucha
Full Moon wrote:

I need help here .  I am on day 3 of the tea and  my Kombucha looks like snot floating on the tea with mold growing in little blobs .   Technical Huh .       What am I doing wrong ?

FM

Thsi is the first I've heard of it. Thanks for helping me learn about something new in this world.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kombucha
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kombucha#Health_claims
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kombucha#Safety_and_contamination

Poet

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Kombucha

Hey FM --

I've been brewing kombucha for a while now. Your kombucha "mother" should look like the snot you describe, or a big tan gelatinous pancake. But the mold blobs are not good. Mold will ruin ghe whole batch. In the past I've had some success with skimming the blobs to save the brew, but generally mold means I have to start over. Be super careful about sterilizing the vessel. Never touch the mother or the vessel with unwashed hands, etc. And don't leave the brew uncovered even for a minute. I also rinse the mother with fresh water in between batches and pinch off anything that doesn't look like healthy, clean mother. Good luck! (sorry about the lack of paragraph spacing. I'm posting this from my ipad and i have to disable the rich text option to do so. Yeah, one of my clients gave me her ipad when she ran out and bought the ipad2. Cool!)

Viva -- Sager

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
pear vinegar

Poet ,  this is what  my pear vinegar looked like ,  Now on the third day I have a foam going on . 

@ Sagar   I think I will start over with a new baby kombucha it sounds like it is worth the effort  from the health benefits mentioned .

FM  

Sharing any other health tips would be great  .  I listened to a podcast last week on the goodness of malting meals ..  I do this with wheat  then grind it for breakfast food .

Aussie's picture
Aussie
malting

FM, when you say malting wheat, do you mean sprouting then drying the wheat?   How long do you soak and sprout before drying?

Kiera

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
soaking /sprouting grains .

I will have to dig around for the malting  info    but    soaking  is here     http://www.foodforlife.com/our-products/sprouted-grain  and  as below .   

I soak  the grain in  whey . I think i got the info from Weston Price  You can do a search ... I soak beans too .     I think you can oak nuts as well .

sprouted grain - buckwheat

Sprouted grain – rich in food enzymes and natural vitamins – grows closer and closer to the mainstream as people across all walks of life search for a better way to incorporate wholesome foods into their diet on a regular basis.   While sprouting grain requires extra attention and, like many aspects of traditional foods, additional forethought and planning, the practice is worth the time and is easy to accomplish in your own kitchen, once you get the hang of it.

Sprouted Grain: Benefits

Sprouted grain differs from whole grain in three fundamental aspects: 1) sprouting activates food enzymes; 2) sprouting increases vitamin content, and 3) sprouting neutralizes antinutrients like phytic acid which bind up minerals preventing your ability to fully absorb them.  When examining the nutrient density of sprouted wheat to unsprouted wheat on a calorie-per-calorie basis, you’ll find that sprouted wheat contains four times the amount of niacin and nearly twice the amount of vitamin B6 and folate as unsprouted wheat; moreover, it contains more protein and fewer starches than non-sprouted grain and as a further boon, it is lower on the glycemic index making it more suitable for those suffering from blood sugar issues.

Furthermore, sprouted grain and sprouted flours – having been effectively “pre-soaked” do not need to undergo further soaking or souring and are therefore suitable for quick breads, cookies and cakes in a way that sourdoughs and soaked flours are not.  (Learn more about soaking grains, beans and legumes.) For those who do not wish to take the time or effort to sprout grain or mill flour at home, you can always purchase sprouted grain flour online (see sources).

Sprouted Grain: Preparation

While it may take a few days to sprout grain, it’s not as labor-intensive of a process as it might seem.   All grains and seeds can be sprouted following these basic instructions though the germination time may vary from grain to grain.  Take care to choose only organic, untreated grains as they tend to sprout more evenly and reliably.   In our kitchen, we sprout several cups of seeds at a time; however, you can sprout smaller amounts depending on your needs and how you will be using the grain.

How to Sprout Grain

1. Start with clean grain, so take care in sorting through it to make sure all pebbles and grains with poor appearance are adequately removed.
  2. Rinse grains thoroughly.
  3. Add grain to a ceramic or stainless steel crock, pouring filtered water over the grain until the grain is completely submersed under several inches of water.
  4. Soak the grains overnight in warm water.
  5. In the morning, pour the grains into a fine mesh sieve and rinse them well.
  6. Throughout the day, rinse the grains multiple times taking care to stir them so all grains are rinsed evenly.
  7. Continue rinsing the grains for two to three days until the grains have sprouted to your liking.
  8. Rinse the grains one last time, drain them and either refrigerate them or dehydrate them to grind into flour.

How to Make Sprouted Flour

1. Start with grain that has been sprouted for only a day or two – until the sprout barely emerges from the end of the kernel.  The longer it sprouts, the more difficult it is to grind and use in baking.
  2. Pour the grain into a thin layer on a mesh screen for your dehydrator and dehydrate at about 105 ° – 110 ° F until thoroughly dry.   Alternatively, spread it on a baking sheet and set it in an oven set to the lowest setting you can manage.   Note that sprouted grain dried in an oven has inferior baking qualities as compared to  that which is dried through the more reliably low temperatures of a dehydrator.
  3. Once the grain is thoroughly dry, simply add it to the hopper of your grain mill and grind as you normally would.

Sprouted Grain: Uses

We don’t eat much grain in our home, but the grain we do eat is mostly sprouted and we only use sprouted flour either prepared according to the directions above or purchased from a reliable source.  Sprouted grain can be eaten in its raw form, cooked or ground into flour and baked as previously mentioned.   Take care to note, however, that cooking damages the grain’s micronutrient profile as many of its vitamins are fragile and not heat stable; however, sprouted flour still packs a more comprehensive nutritional punch than regular wholemeal flour and is significantly easier to digest.

Sprouted grains and sprouted seeds can be delicious when eaten raw and otherwise unprocessed.   Try serving it raw as a salad and gently seasoned with salt, pepper, unrefined olive oil (see sources) and a squeeze of lemon.   It’s also tasty mixed in with other vegetables in salads or served on sandwiches.

You can also eat sprouted grain cooked or baked in addition to raw.   While cooking i lacks live food enzymes, it is still easier to digest than unsprouted grain and many of grains inherent antinutrients like phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors that our largely neutralized by the soaking and sprouting process.   Sprouted flour can be used in a 1:1 ratio for white flour or whole grain flour.   Sprouted grain is also well-suited to porridges and warm breakfast cereals.

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
malting

http://www.echonet.org/Malting/index.htm         hope this works it is a video and I do not know how to put it on . 

Aussie's picture
Aussie
  There were some spaces at

There were some spaces at the end of your link; this one works:

http://www.echonet.org/Malting/index.htm

Haven't watched it yet, but I will later today.

Your mention of 'malting' caught my attention because one of my daughters reacts to malt, with very painful arthritis in her knees, ankles, wrists and elbows.  We figured it out when she was 12, after she had a ruptured Bakers cyst.  She was eating something with added malt at almost every meal!

I am very familier with Weston A Price, I have a copy of Nourishing Traditions, and follow the Gut and Psychology Syndrome diet.  Prior to eliminating all grains, I was baking our bread, and soaking the flour after grinding. I had never tried sprouting then drying and grinding.

I still don't understand what it is, in malt,  that my daughter is reacting to.  I'm wondering now whether it's a specific kind of malt, like barley malt, because that's what is in Milo, which she certainly can't have.  We used to argue over whether she could eat candy, because some that listed malt as an ingredient seemed to be ok.  So... if it's not from barley, is it still called malt?  Still wondering.

Kiera

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Full Moon wrote: @ Sagar  
Full Moon wrote:

@ Sagar   I think I will start over with a new baby kombucha it sounds like it is worth the effort  from the health benefits mentioned .

It's also delicious when it turns out right.  (We just had our monthly First Friday gathering and I shared around my latest batch of kombucha [made with pomegranate green tea {Yogi brand tea}].)

Too bad I don't live next door, FM.  I'd come on by and we'd get your kombucha mother sorted (or I'd give you some of mine -- they grow like crazy -- I have more mother than I know what to do with).  

Kombucha is just another arrow in the "fermented foods" quiver.  Pickles, sauerkraut, kimchi, etc. -- they all preserve veggies and also add nutritional value.  Take 1 unit of food, add 1 unit of effort and 1 unit of brainpower and get back 4 units of return.  That's a (sustainable) exponential curve I can get behind!

Viva -- Sager

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
Kefir water

OH my gosh , Wild Prairie came over to look at my kombucha and said it is fine  .. needed a little quiet place to finish doing its thang .  And now we plan on making some kind of fermented  Kefir water ...      Where have we been all these years that we do not know these simple things to keep us healthy ??

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments