Gvmt propaganda?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sandman3369's picture
Sandman3369
Gvmt propaganda?

Just a thought...  I've got a boy who's 15 1/2.  He happens to stand 6'3" and weigh ~250.  He came home tonight talking about watching the ultimate cage fighting or some such nonsense (showing my age).  He's a fan of the WWE, etc.  It seems to me that all the violent stuff on television is a few orders above what I grew up with.  So my question is... 

Is what's on tv or in the media just the natural evolution of the times, or maybe, just possibly, has our gvmt been slowly conditioning us to accept a change in the status quo?

I think there is probably a case to be made that our media, in the U.S., has sheltered us too long and is still doing so.

What do you think? 

caroline_culbert's picture
caroline_culbert
Re: Gvmt propaganda?
Sandman3369 wrote:

Just a thought...  I've got a boy who's 15 1/2.  He happens to stand 6'3" and weigh ~250.  He came home tonight talking about watching the ultimate cage fighting or some such nonsense (showing my age).  He's a fan of the WWE, etc.  It seems to me that all the violent stuff on television is a few orders above what I grew up with.  So my question is... 

Is what's on tv or in the media just the natural evolution of the times, or maybe, just possibly, has our gvmt been slowly conditioning us to accept a change in the status quo?

That depends upon how much influence and/or power our gov't has upon the media.  You are the sculpture of your developing child; Do you want to mold him into what he will become or do you want the media to mold him?  If you're comfortable allowing the media or friends, by not interfering when necessary, to mold him then that will be the end product.

Sandman3369 wrote:

I think there is probably a case to be made that our media, in the U.S., has sheltered us too long and is still doing so.

I don't understand.  What do you mean by this?  Could you rephrase your question please?

Sandman3369's picture
Sandman3369

'Back in the day' things were rough and I don't think anyone really had any illusions about life being easy in general.  The stories my grandparents have told me about growing up in the depression illustrate this.  But that didn't include 'just' the depression.  It was normal life back then.  Nowadays, with "50" years of brain washing in our back pocket about how things should be, 'a chicken in every pot and a car in every garage', I don't think 90+% of the population has a clue how to do 'without'.

Has the slow change in our media been a deliberate program to desensitize us, so that when TSHTF we might have a survival mentality that works in our advantage, or so that we wipe ourselves out so they don't have to, or, well there's lots of possibilities.  I suppose I'm just wistfully thinking of my childhood and wishing that he wasn't exposed to a lot of the things are mainstream now.  i.e. no knowledge, just fits and fists.

caroline_culbert's picture
caroline_culbert
Sandman3369 wrote:

'Back in the day' things were rough and I don't think anyone really had any illusions about life being easy in general.  The stories my grandparents have told me about growing up in the depression illustrate this.  But that didn't include 'just' the depression.  It was normal life back then.  Nowadays, with "50" years of brain washing in our back pocket about how things should be, 'a chicken in every pot and a car in every garage', I don't think 90+% of the population has a clue how to do 'without'.

Has the slow change in our media been a deliberate program to desensitize us, so that when TSHTF we might have a survival mentality that works in our advantage, or so that we wipe ourselves out so they don't have to, or, well there's lots of possibilities.  I suppose I'm just wistfully thinking of my childhood and wishing that he wasn't exposed to a lot of the things are mainstream now.  i.e. no knowledge, just fits and fists.

I think it depends upon what you value.  When growing up a lot of parents wanted to give their children what they did not, themselves, have.  That is not always a good thing because we, as humans, tend to get used to our way of living-- naturally.  That is, if someone is always living with a lifestyle reflecting their $200k income, and when they must move to a lower living standard, to most, that is not bad nor disappointing.  Like me, I am used to living at the "lower" standard of living.  Depending on how someone defines "lower" standard of living, for most Americans it means living without the t.v, cable, 2-car garage, etc. (unnecessary items).  For my son, and myself, I hope we never lose sight of what it means to be human.  Being human means living, and by living, that means surviving.  Being human also reflects a sense of the "natural", i.e., know that we are but animals.  For those of us who believe we are above starvation and the like is just nonsensical.  These are some of my values but they may not be yours nor ones that you want to pass down to your children.  I want to instill this upon my son (age 5) a sense of understanding in his relationship to other people and the natural world around him.  If we are as intelligent as most people believe ourselves to be then we can reconcile our relationship with that of "higher" intelligence, i.e., technology and our advancement into the unknown future that includes the respect for our natural resources.  A lot of our problems come from our lack of sound judgement, not only with our politics, but also those involving our domesticated life-styles and the ethics we should be passing down to our future generations.  When times are tough we tend to understand these things a little better, but the tricky part is being wise when times are good.

Some of the lesson and/or ethics we should be teaching in our schools are those that involve, not just rigorous science, math, and English, but that of financial and economic responsibility.  Every school should supplement this education in case it is not taught at home.  One particular lesson is that of saving 'x' % of what is earned (for harder times ahead).  We have the opportunity to do this (in U.S.) whereas, in the past, we didn't have the standard of living as we do now.

I'll admit that, sometimes, even methods of financial wisdom and frugality are beyond our control.  Even assuming everyone in the country saved an avg. of 20% of their income does not mean they would not face dire times during extreme inflation.  But then, again, this ties into accountability and responsibility that the citizens have in checking and chilling our gov't when necessary.  This cannot be done by ignorant masses who do not know what their gov't has been doing from its inception.  How much, of the masses, are ignorant?  This can be seen and reflected by the type and amount of media (which you mention) they adhere to.  If Americans' knowledge reflects 90% understanding of Hollywood media and 10% productive (accurate-based economic/gov.) media then we're in trouble.

We are what we eat, read, and watch.

Gifts's picture
Gifts

Sandman - if you dont mind me asking - what country are you in

mpelchat's picture
mpelchat
Sandman3369 wrote:

What do you think? 

Hello Sandman,

I would call it a reverse evolution of the times and being on the downslope of a republic. 

In the Rome Empire they had gladiators killing each other as well as feeding christians to lions and so on to keep the masses happy.  WWE is nothing more than the next step down in our people and our country like the Romans.  I am not blaming you or your kid for this, it is all of our faults.  It is profitable, and the man loves profits.

What is next, public executions, actually having people kill each other in some ring like "Running Man". 

On the subject of the media, yes it is censored. 

Example: about 12 weeks ago there where report out of Holland about an attack on Iran and it was posted on the web and easy to find.  Nothing in the main stream news.  In 4 days, I could not find the same information on the web anymore at all.  It was just gone.

A new article came out of Australia telling that they where going to block many ((like 100,000 or so)) web sites of questionable morals.  If one government can block the web they are can block it.

We see and hear mainly what they want us too.   Especially, when it could be a way to ralley the masses. 

I took the Dale Carnigie classes way back when and the leader put us all in a row, about 25 of us.  With a series of questions one to each person, had us pick a card.  The card the last person picked ((and there was 2 left)) was the jack of hearts.  He flipped a single page on an easle, it was the jack of hearts (only one page was flipped over).  We were dumbfounded, and he said "it is easy to get people where you want them when you know where you want them to go." 

That is what is happening to us. They know the game, the rules (even if they need to change them at will),  and where they want us to go. 

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

mpelchat - Well stated.

In ancient Rome they built arenas to distract the public with mindless entertainment while the empire rotted from within. 

Kind of like every football stadium, every baseball stadium, every hockey rink, every soccer pitch, every basketball court, every movie theater, ad nauseum.  I just saw a news clip on MSNBC that the Dodgers are offering Manny Ramirez $25M for one season.  One freakin' season.  And the dumb ass Dodger fans will still cough up $100 a ticket to go see him play a game.  I will take no small amount of pleasure watching sports franchises collapse under the weight of their own idiocy.

Hell, I won't pay 100 bucks to see the Dead in Charlottesville in a few months and they are good.  Even if the Fat Man is dead.

Sandman3369's picture
Sandman3369

Thanks for your comments everyone.  I don't think I was in my 'right' mind when I posted, and I didn't really phrase my question as clearly or eloquently as I had planned.  However, at this late date, if anyone wishes to discuss this more I'm game....  oh, yeah, I live in WA, USA.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments