time, it's guns.

Even as the stock market has plummeted, shares in Smith &
Wesson have nearly quadrupled since November, and sales of guns are
going through the roof.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/04/09/60minutes/main4931769.shtml

Boomer41's picture
Boomer41
What "Loophole" ?

You are absolutely correct that gun sales are booming and ammunition is becoming very scarce because of high demand. Most people I know who own guns are afraid that the Obama administration will try to pass more anti-gun laws and I suspect most buyers are picking up an M16 while they still have the chance.

However, this is not a 'loophole'. The second amendment is very clear. Gun ownership is a right, not a government granted privilege. Most of the anti-gun rhetoric is based on emotion and flies in the face of logic, reason and the facts. As an example, here in Massachusetts, because of unconstitutional gun laws, passed in 1998, gun ownership is way down, but gun assault related hospital visits have jumped an incredible 220%. Enlightened states, with  legally armed citizens have not seen this increase in gun crime.

More laws to keep guns out of the hands of law abiding Americans will do nothing to reduce crime. The time and effort would be much better spent enforcing existing gun laws aimed at the use of guns in the commission of a crime; something the NRA actively supports.

Finally, the Second Amendment protects gun ownership, not for hunting or target shooting, but to enable the people to defend the Constitution against government run amok. This could be another reason why self loading rifles are flying off the shelves.

Gungnir's picture
Gungnir
Re: What "Loophole" ?

There is no loophole.

I can privately sell my firearms to anyone who wants to buy them, I don't need to call anyone or even record their names, I don't need to know their background. In the same way that I can sell my TV, or my DVD , my labor etc.

The Gun Show Loophole is a Main Stream Media fabrication, that implies that gun shows are unregulated means to get firearms. This is untrue, any one selling at a gun show who owns an FFL needs to complete a 4473 form for each puchase and comply with ALL local regulations regarding gun sales (background checks, and purchase delays).

Private sales can happen in the same way as could happen outside of the Gun Show. That is a private owner, and a private buyer come to an agreement, and the transaction is complete.

The only way to close the "loophole" that is claimed to exist is to only allow sales of firearms to or from FFL holders, which would be restrictive and close the market, this would put all FFL owners in a monopoly position, where sales to them would be at significantly below market value for the item, and sales from them would be significantly above market value. 

Boomer, you can't just buy an M16 in the US, the M16 is a military Selective Fire Weapon and sales have been restricted since 1986 (no new Selective fire weapons can be sold, or imported on the US market) you could buy a pre-ban M16 with the required paperwork from the BATFE (NFA Class 3 license), pay the fees, and if your state allows, however these run in the multiple of tens of thousands of dollars range generally between $20,000-30,000, and obviously these are running out, since production stopped in 1986.

You can buy an AR-15 (or clone) which is semi automatic only and is not designed for military use from your Local FFL if they have one in stock. However they are no different from any other Semi-Auto other than in appearance, and they tend to have more things to hang other bits off of (I like to call them Semi-Automatic Christmas Trees) Laughing.

Boomer41's picture
Boomer41
"Loophole" ?

Gungnir, I bow to your superior knowledge. I should have typed AR-15 not M16, but let's not split hairs. You and I are in agreement. The point I am trying to make is the same as your Jeffersonian quotation. Our government and banks (moneyed corporations)  are running amok and trampling the Constitution. Most people understand this on a gut level and some of them are responding by stocking up on arms and ammunition.

Gungnir's picture
Gungnir
Re: "Loophole" ?

No problem Boomer,

We are in complete agreement; however in particular with Firearms terminology is very important,take for instance Assault Weapon and Assault Rifle (Assault rifle is a known term used by the Military. Assault weapon is an arbitrary nomenclature invented for gun control). Unfortunately a lot of people who should know something about the COTUS and firearms that are their heritage as US Citizens, might read M16 and assume that you can buy one over the counter; hence my correction.

For example how many times have you heard people say "I don't know why anyone needs a fully automatic assault rifle" when discussing more gun restrictions, without knowing that you can't buy one. This is a myth that is continually perpetrated by the Main Stream Media, and the only way we who believe in the right to keep and bear arms can eliminate this myth is to ensure that we're accurate in out terminology.  Just for hoots and giggles do a search on M16 and AR-15 and see what you come up with. One is going to terrify the great unwashed public, the other is going to concern them.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments