Growing our 75% of our own food in our yard in < 1 year

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
akamai mom's picture
akamai mom
Growing our 75% of our own food in our yard in < 1 year

We were able to grow more than enough food to live on in less than a year in our own backyard using permaculture methods.  Most of the plants are self propagating and live on ambient sun and rain.  We live in a working class neighborhood in a small town.  We have water catchment, solar water and 75% power from solar panels.  We have chickens and are putting in a tilapia/catfish pond, fed mostly by rain water.  We are trying to encourage others to do the same.   We made a film.  The trailer is:

The full 14 minute film can be seen at 

www.akamaibackyard.com

(we are new to this forum - aloha)

Tycer's picture
Tycer
Re: Growing our 75% of our own food in our yard in < 1 year

Aloha! Outstanding work! Glad you are here.

JAG's picture
JAG

Akamai Mom,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your inspirational experience with us. You are living my dream in more ways than one.

Best....Jeff

cnbbaldwin's picture
cnbbaldwin

Great inspiration to many of us who are working towards this.  Perhaps the conditions many of us are working with are not quite so favorable in terms of your ability to capture abundant solar energy for your plants, hot water, and energy needs, but we will keep trying.  Fantastic and thanks for sharing. 

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor

Very cool!! Good luck and keep us informed

SG

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

Love ,LOve ,LOVE it !!     Forwarding it to my  friends on the Isle of Camotes . 

When my  Friend started his little farm  I did not know what a project it would be,  now  1000 coconut trees and mangos galore  the place helps to feed many .    Haha , our Joke is how do we get a cow to the Island ....  He is thinking  a Yak would be easier .

You are one special momma to school other peoples children .   Here  we live too far apart to do that ,plus no one wants to give up the joy of teaching our own to someone else.

Anyway my children get the blessing of going over and helping  there, as well as doing what we can  here  at home .   Bloom where you are planted !

FM

akamai mom's picture
akamai mom

Where do you live?  All of those kids have working parents who are accustomed to having their kids in public school.  I feel the same as you.  I wouldn't want to give up teaching my own child.

akamai mom's picture
akamai mom

Thank you so much for your support to the five people who responded to our film.  We honored to have had 105 people look at our submission.

I really value the Crash Course for taking a complex topic and breaking it down in such an understandable fashion.  It strengthened knowledge I have been gaining from a number of sources over a few years.  I will definitely share it with many.  I think it will help our awareness over here.

AM

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

AM ,   

I may have confused you . We live in Kansas but some of my kids go to the PI of Camotes  for a month each year to help at a youth camp .  We have Filipeno friends here that go with them . They are the one with the farm there  and  trying to help teach the kids some ways to make a living  without getting jobs in the factories .  The American dollar goes a long way over there at this time and the farm is growing fast  .

Friends I made while in Japan are doing a teaching COOP similar to yours . Although each mom is taking on a different subject . It is working well for them .

Our group of homeshool families back here all live on farms so  far separated to do much except get together once a week for field trips and such . I do have one daughter that lived on Oahu for a few years , She misses it dearly ...  such a big change from there to here .  I forwarded your site to her as she just returned from there recently and is now a Nanny in TX. .

I need to stop here as to not talk you clear around in a circle trying to keep up with where we have been ( we were a military family )and  where we are going... Many of them love going on mission trips each year  .  Somedays even  I can  not keep up with them all. ...  You Know  the Old Lady who lived in a Shoe story .

Blessings  to  the  little Sustainable place you have there.

FM

DaytonMegan's picture
DaytonMegan

Nice video.  Thanks.

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater

I enjoyed my online visit to your home and garden. Especially nice were the ideas about permacultre with the "lasagne" method! Welcome to the site and thank you for your already valuable contributions here. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments