grad school

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
123lov's picture
123lov
grad school

Could anyone offer advice on whether one should continue education by enrolling in graduate school? I have a BS in Secondary Education, but  I am not currently teaching. I would like to teach one day in a revised public school system { the current model is less than desirable }. This is an important part of my plan of action. I have no one in my life  who believes a plan of action is necessary. Your advice would be gratly appreciated.

RussB's picture
RussB
Re: grad school

If you believe that the industrial-model systems we now have, including the educational system, are bound to degrade and even collapse in the coming years, as many here including myself do, then such extended formal education, which doesn't really teach anything of value but is only necessary as a resume credential, is probably a waste of precious time and money (especially if you would have to go into debt to do it). If the systems are likely to radically change, and especially if they're likely to become smaller-scale, less formal, more decentralized, and with more of an emphasis on practical skills, then probably much of what passes for post-secondary education nowadays, the knowledge and certainly the diplomas, will become less valuable. 

That seems to be the consensus wisdom on these sorts of boards (especially Peak Oil boards).

Of course, no one here can guarantee what will happen over, say, the next ten years. I guess what you need to do is what Chris recommends in the Crash Course:

Ask yourself what you expect to happen in the world and when; what you want to accomplish; is what you want to accomplish likely attainable given how you think the world is going to be; and make your personal plan accordingly.

propamanda's picture
propamanda

The only way I would want to go to grad school right now is if I could go to school for free.  Find a school that would either offer a full scholarship, or maybe one that offers programs that completely offset tuition expenses (such as a student  research job or a TA / teaching job).  I think that accumulating any unnecessary debt right now is unwise.  I have a few friends who managed to get through grad school practically free by chosing a school with good scholarships and good programs.  Also, I would assume that the public school system will not be significantly "revised" for the better any time in the near future.  I think we're going to see a lot of budget cuts and a reduction in overall quality as the people in power fight to maintain the status quo. 

Amanda 

123lov's picture
123lov

Thankyou very kindly for your helpful information, sir. I am new to" these sorts of boards," to quote you, however not having or desiring the internet for most of my last 20 years I have quietly delved into books on preparedness. With no support from friends or family on these collapse scenarios, which I have believed in, and being cautious about any communication via the internet, it was nice to hear a voice out there, such as yours, to respectfully address my question. I get weary from those around me rolling their eyes and calling me weird. Thankyou again....

123lov's picture
123lov

Thankyou, you verify what my heart was already telling me. I don't have anyone to ask an opinion. Those closest to me call me gloom and doom. They roll their eyes  and go on loving the status quo

Woodman's picture
Woodman

I'd say set your goals and see if grad school is a requirement for accomplishment of those goals.  I think the need for accredidation will be around for a bit yet, and may be even more important if you are competing among many unemployed for jobs.  You can still develop many strong basic life skills through self teaching.  I would not go into debt for grad school, as others noted.  Grad school worked out well for me in the past because I choose a program that I liked and got a full research grant and it allowed me to re-educate myself out of an industry that was dying at the time.  I also built some of my strongest friends and community in grad school.  If you can reach your goals just by working and gaining experience, as many of my current colleagues have done, then grad school may be an unnecessary investment.

yoshhash's picture
yoshhash

How about good old fashioned practical training for vital services?  My wife is pre-studying to go to nursing school. I am giving her my full moral and financial support because I consider it virtually recession-proof.  Somebody please tell me we are not being naive. 

It's either that or serving coffee....if there is even that left.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments