License to Kill? Intelligence Chief Says U.S. Can Take Out American Terrorists

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Evolutionary Ape's picture
The Evolutionary Ape
License to Kill? Intelligence Chief Says U.S. Can Take Out American Terrorists

License to Kill? Intelligence Chief Says U.S. Can Take Out American Terrorists (ABC News)
Director of National Intelligence Says Intelligence Community Can Target Citizens Presenting a Terrorist Threat

[Parantheses are mine...or the person claiming to be me.]

The director of national intelligence affirmed rather bluntly today that the U.S. intelligence community has authority to target American citizens for assassination  [so I'm assuming the Sixth Amendment is now crap, huh?] if they present a direct terrorist threat to the United States.

"We take direct actions against terrorists in the intelligence community; if … we think   that direct action will involve killing an American, we get specific permission to do that," Director of National Intelligence Dennis Blair told the House Intelligence Committee. (hopefully not the same people who were "thinking" that failed to prevent 9/11, the shoe bomber and the underwear bomber because God knows their profiling is awesome)

Rep. Peter Hoekstra D-Mich., addressed the issue at today's hearing.

"The targeting of Americans -- it's a very sensitive issue, but again there's been more information in the public domain than what has been shared with this committee," he said.

"There is no clarity." Hoekstra said. "What is the legal framework?"  [We are talking about assassinating Americans.  What legal framework?  How about what defines a terrorist and who gets to make that determination genius?  Anyone in Michigan should give this guy a call and let him know he better enjoy the last year in D.C.]

"Whether that American is involved in a group that is trying to attack us, whether that American has -- is a threat to other Americans  Those are the factors involved."   [Mr. Blair you forgot to add in "for now" at the end of that sentence] Blair explained. "We don't target people for free speech.  We target them for taking action that threatens Americans  [So we should be reading about a string of unsolvable Wall Street banker deaths in the next few months right?]."

According to U.S. officials, only a handful of Americans would be eligible for targeting by U.S. intelligence or military operations. [oh yea sorta like only a handful of billion dollars for the banks, a handful of WMD's in Iraq, a handful of years to capture Bin Laden, a handful of months with high unemployment....riiiiiight.  I forgot how U.S. officials have such an amazing track record at using sound judgement in implementing policies like oh say the 700 billion now somewhere in the trillion dollar bailout.]  The legal guidance is determined by the National Security Council and the Justice Department  [phew, the same agencies that backed the Patriot Act, secret CIA interragation camps and waterboarding, now I feel safe].

Later he says, "The homegrown radicalization of people in the United States…is a relatively new thing." 

[End of News Article]

Wouldn't you say  it's amazing Mr Blair, how that radicalization coincides with unrestrained power dressed up as the Patriot Act, Wall Street bailouts and billions of taxpayer dollars being given away like D.C. won Megabucks. 

Perhaps the radicalization they are seeing has less to do with Al Qaida and more to do with the frustration, disappointment, and fury over our own elected politicians are bending us over again and again on what seems like a new issue every week.  Perhaps that's the real reason  they have enacted this procedure.  They know what's coming down the pipe concerning the economy and are anticipating social unrest as a result.  When the Treasury or Dollar Bubble busts, I doubt Tea Parties will be all D.C. wil see.  I hope I'm a pompous ranter and wrong, but recent events are making me think otherwise.

What's odd about this is the current procedure as of recently.  They catch the underwear bomber and they are thrilled by the fact that they can pick his brain for future plots and terrorist activity.  They would have lost a lot of intelligence if they had instuted the procedure being laid out by Blair.  They did the same thing with the terrorist suspect they caught here in Denver.  They questioned him and were able to chase down other plots and terrorists in NY. Why kill them when you can find information about what they are planning to do next?  If the current procedure is effective why institute this one?

With the government there's always more than meets the eye especially by the time something like this reaches the general public.  With the news that came out yesterday about the next attack before July (link here) this seems like the same old method of using scare tactics as a back door way to strip away civil liberties and usurp power all the while bypassing the Consitution.   I don't for one minute believe this is about terrorism, but a slow moving process to something much more sinister, like 1984 sinister.   After all how do you cook a frog?

I don't condone violence whether it is against the American government, politicians, or its citizens because history shows violence only begets more violence and while I'm not happy with where things are with all these bailouts and money printing, I don't want to see blood in the streets.

I used to like to follow this stuff to give a different vantage point to my friends about what was really going on, but now I go to bed a little fearful of what tomorrow's news will bring.  I'm at a loss as to what to do.  I'll admit it, I'm scared.  And for all the posters on here, I wonder how long before that day where my posts are turned over to the pertinent intelligence community and I am labeled "terrorists" and to be assassinated on sight.

On that note just wanted to say I love the Federal Reserve, love what DC has been doing to get us out of this current financial meltdown and keep us safe, and love anything our politicians are currently doing in D.C. and would be willing to give them 100% of my take home pay if it meant our economy and society could solely benefit the current oligarchy.  I hope Google got all that and will turn it over to the pertinent intelligence community as is.  Now here's to hoping I wake up tomorrow morning and that there's not a sniper outside of my window as I press "Save."

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
Re: Goverment Granted Power to "Assassinate" Americans

Sobering, sad and scary.

According to U.S. officials, only a handful of Americans would be eligible for targeting by U.S. intelligence or military operations.

Oh...well if its only a handful of people getting their rights taken away I guess thats OK then.

I'm not in that handful, right?

crazyhorse's picture
crazyhorse

It all depends on what the definition of "terrorist" is...

"He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the dark moustache. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother."

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd

Rep. Hoekstra Says 'Justice Denied' in Shootdown of Innocent Americans

FOXNews.com

New video re-ignites accusations that the CIA lied to Congress to cover up its role in the deaths of innocent American missionaries who were mistaken for drug smugglers and shot down by the Peruvian Air Force nine years ago.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/02/04/rep-hoekstra-says-justice-den...

machinehead's picture
machinehead
ccpetersmd wrote:

Rep. Hoekstra Says 'Justice Denied' in Shootdown of Innocent Americans

New video re-ignites accusations that the CIA lied to Congress to cover up its role in the deaths of innocent American missionaries who were mistaken for drug smugglers and shot down by the Peruvian Air Force nine years ago.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/02/04/rep-hoekstra-says-justice-den...

Yep. Which implies that the first domestic use of targeted assassinations may be against 'heavily armed' drug smugglers along the borders. That is, those who aren't employed by 'the Company,' bringing in CIA-trafficked heroin from Afghanistan. It's a key component of black-budget funding, you know. Can't have amateur competition muscling in.

So many drones, so little time!

Needless to say, a president who claims the authority to summarily execute his own citizens is a tyrant. Ceaucescu, Saddam, oBOMBa ...

machinehead's picture
machinehead

[deleted double post]

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M

Good to see that the law no longer restrains those who enforce it.
Methodology is familiar. I think both the KGB and the Shutzstaffel would recognize and agree that domestic insurrectionists must be dealt with.

I'm not really sure how terrorists differ from common criminals, and quite frankly, when we analyze the meaning of "terrorist" we might broaden our definitions to include those who would assassinate civilians:
Merriam-Websters:
Terrorism
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/terrorist

Pronunciation: \ˈter-ər-ˌi-zəm\

Function: noun
Date: 1795

: the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion;

Definition of Terrorism under U.S. Law
http://terrorism.about.com/od/whatisterroris1/ss/DefineTerrorism_4.htm

The Department of Defense Dictionary of Military Terms defines terrorism as:

The calculated use of unlawful violence or threat of unlawful violence to inculcate fear; intended to coerce or to intimidate governments or societies in the pursuit of goals that are generally political, religious, or ideological.

...Calculated.... use of violence or threats of unlawful violence... to intimidate... societies... for political, religious or ideological goals.
Huh.
Think that Constitutional Liberties might be considered Political or Ideological?
Don't we have a "violence" clause written right into the Constitution to ensure we have a state that can be cleansed of tyranny, should it become invasive?

Didn't our nation spring fourth from the same such line of thinking? That Political pressure and threat of violence was not a form of governance that free peoples should be willing to tolerate?

So, a better question might be "How do we define who is not a terrorist?"

http://terrorism.about.com/b/2006/11/21/who-isnt-a-terrorist.htm

(Levity included)

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
I know, Cliche, but seriously.
We should all be delighted with the re-emergence of Ad-Hoc law, and the "Us and Them" enforcement mentality.

The entire concept of Terrorism is just a flawed, misguided attempt to alienate a population using rhetoric and spectral threats, instead of addressing realities. The crimes we're talking about are inherantly criminal. The complications of adding subsections of laws for certain "types" of criminals (Ergo, "Terrorists", "Narco-Terrorists", ad nauseum) only bogs down the legal framework with redundancy.

What shape was Germany in before the Chancellor took it to new heights of glory, using similar rhetoric?

*sigh*

Aaron

nickbert's picture
nickbert
Johnny Oxygen wrote:

Oh...well if its only a handful of people getting their rights taken away I guess thats OK then.

I'm not in that handful, right?

Sorry, you are not cleared for that information, Citizen.  In fact, you have insufficient clearance to even ask such questions.  This incident will be reported and added to your personal file. 

A special troubleshooting team will be visiting you soon to better explain to you your rights and privileges.

Trust the Computer.  The Computer is your friend.

- Nickbert

V's picture
V
Re: License to Kill? Intelligence Chief Says U.S. Can Take ...

Now I know I need to tread lightly here, So I will just ask a few questions. (Don't  want to be targeted by anybody ya know)

Is this a Conspiracy Theory? Does this need to be in the Controversial Topic area?

Do we meet up at Bunker HIll, Valley Forge, Boston Harbor, or what?

I am not going to use the R word but .....................excuse me I have to wipe something with this paper called a Constitution

V

V's picture
V

I guess I did not tread lightly enough. Somehow I knew this thread would not go too well with a talk at  the U.N.

Might be a spike on the definitive firearms thread.

V

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

Sorry to see this thread moved here but that's not my call and on a positive note, I can speak more freely here.

We are living in Nazi Germany during the 1930's.  The Reichstag fire (false flag) has already occurred (9/11) and served it's purpose in launching a full attack against civil liberties and personal freedom.  Our Hitler is guilty of genocide against muslims and small wars are leading up to WW3.  Like the German people, our most deadly enemy is the state.  Our foods and medicine is increasingly laced with poison.

Not coincidently,  the same people who financed Hitler are financing Obama's rise - Wall Street banks and the Federal Reserve (one in the same).  Just as Prescott Bush (Hariman Bank) was lending money to Nazi Germany before and during WW2.  Of course, Hariman and the other Wall Street banks were Rothschild agents.

We as a people have become ignorant cowards.  We're afraid of underwear bombers and willing give up our freedom to "feel" safer.  It is ignorance beyond comprehension that we borrow money from the international banking cartel that we may create ourselves for free.

Larry

The Evolutionary Ape

Didn't know ABC News was a  contreversial news source, but not my site so it is what it is.  CSPAN has the whole hearing if you have a couple of hours to burn.

Moderator John's picture
Moderator John

This thread has been moved back to the general forum. I apologize for making a hasty and incorrect decision. Those of you who challenged the initial move, thank you for being polite. 

Apologies,

John

jrf29's picture
jrf29

"Of all the enemies to public liberty war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded, because it comprises and develops the seed of every other.  War is the parent of armies; and from these proceed debts and taxes; and armies, and debts, and taxes are the known instruments for bringing the many under the control of the few.  In war, too, the power of the Executive is extended; its influence in dealing out offices, honors, and emoluments is multiplied; and all the means of seducing the minds, are added to those of subduing the force, of the people . . . No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare."

-James Madison, 1795

Tapani's picture
Tapani

Of course, killing non-americans is perfectly ok. They are a lesser form of life anyway?

ejanea's picture
ejanea

"First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a communist;
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—because I was not a Jew;
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak out for me."

Pastor Martin Neimoller (1892-1984)

Davos's picture
Davos
Tapani wrote:

Of course, killing non-americans is perfectly ok. They are a lesser form of life anyway?

Nope. But eating your own is revolting.

Davos's picture
Davos
DrKrbyLuv wrote:

Sorry to see this thread moved here but that's not my call and on a positive note, I can speak more freely here.

We are living in Nazi Germany during the 1930's.  The Reichstag fire (false flag) has already occurred (9/11) and served it's purpose in launching a full attack against civil liberties and personal freedom.  Our Hitler is guilty of genocide against muslims and small wars are leading up to WW3.  Like the German people, our most deadly enemy is the state.  Our foods and medicine is increasingly laced with poison.

Not coincidently,  the same people who financed Hitler are financing Obama's rise - Wall Street banks and the Federal Reserve (one in the same).  Just as Prescott Bush (Hariman Bank) was lending money to Nazi Germany before and during WW2.  Of course, Hariman and the other Wall Street banks were Rothschild agents.

We as a people have become ignorant cowards.  We're afraid of underwear bombers and willing give up our freedom to "feel" safer.  It is ignorance beyond comprehension that we borrow money from the international banking cartel that we may create ourselves for free.

Larry

+1. These morons are unimaginative. 

docmims's picture
docmims

Yeah, I'm slowly coming around to the view that more americans are being killed by americans to "protect" us, than the terrorists can kill.

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd
jrf29 wrote:

"Of all the enemies to public liberty war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded, because it comprises and develops the seed of every other.  War is the parent of armies; and from these proceed debts and taxes; and armies, and debts, and taxes are the known instruments for bringing the many under the control of the few.  In war, too, the power of the Executive is extended; its influence in dealing out offices, honors, and emoluments is multiplied; and all the means of seducing the minds, are added to those of subduing the force, of the people . . . No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare."

-James Madison, 1795

Great quote, jrf29! Why is it that the founders knew so much, and we have forgotten nearly just as much?

V's picture
V

One of the first things I remember hearing on the street growing up ......." Yeah so what are ya gonna do boutit"

V

The Evolutionary Ape

I've been on this forum for a while and while I rarely post I love to read the intelligent minds that frequent the site and continually educate me.  The knowledge that I've gained from frequenting this site and others like this has made me aware of what was taking place long before many of my peers and when my peers called me a conspiracy nut.  Funny but now they are joing my views.

There comes a point where hitting keys on a keyboard no longer suffice for securing our liberties as American citizens and action has to be taken.  I personally feel that time is quickly approaching.  So I pose a question to everyone on this forum...what can we do to take our country off of its current path?  I for one don't want to wait for the tipping point to be hit and people are taking to the street proclaiming the absurdity of anarchy as our only solution.

I've talked to many of my friends and people my age (I'm 29) and people are very aware that the country is changing for the worse and pissed about it. The problem as I see it is many people feel they are helpless against the government and fail to see the power in numbers that stand up to the impending tyranny our country seems to be going towards. 

The idea I came up with as I was thinking of Thomas Paine's Common Sense, is to type up a one page document detailing the direction we are headed and the action every citizen take to divert us from our path (call your senator, stage nonviolent protests on a frequent basis, educate your neighbors, strengthen communities by having frequent town meetings, Crash Course viewings, develop a thorough understanding of the Constitution, READ history and what happened to nations in our position).  Print out a few thousand copies, then hire some college students for minimum wage off of Craigslist to pass them out in the street and to people they cross.  Granted many people won't miss the season opener of Lost to read or do anything, but there are people out there who are ready for action but wonder if they are islands in a quickly changing world.  All that is needed is momentum.  Knowledge is potential power and coupled with action that power is recognized.  The Tea Party is a living, current example.  With Twitter, Facebook and other social networking tools this can gather steam quickly. 

I'm open to any suggestions and working with anyone who wants to get this started. 

SteveW's picture
SteveW
The Evolutionary Ape wrote:

So I pose a question to everyone on this forum...what can we do to take our country off of its current path?

Nothing can be done to change the course of your country. The monetary deficit situation is inevitable and has been in play for years. Of your suggestions I think establishing community is best and preparing to establish a better world at the other side.

It also depends upon how bad it becomes when TSHTF. I'm sure we're due for a substantial dieback in human population but there are still alternatives. Some believe TPTB are accelerating the decline to promote the dieback both in N. America and worldwide. They have no loyalty but to themselves.

If I were your age I would try to move to New Zealand if I were concerned about myself and family. If the situation becomes desperate that country can feed itself and is well isolated from invasion, if there are no remaining systems of transportation. Of course it could end as portrayed in "On the Beach", a 1959 movie about Australians as the remaining survivors of global thermonuclear war waiting to succumb to radiation sickness. However it goes it will be as CM says completely different from the last 10-20 years.

docmims's picture
docmims
SteveW wrote:

Nothing can be done to change the course of your country. The monetary deficit situation is inevitable and has been in play for years. Of your suggestions I think establishing community is best and preparing to establish a better world at the other side.

I am afraid I have to agree monetization/devaluation/inflation = default is pretty much inevitable.  "The stadium will be full of magic drops in the next couple years.  The next election will be about sane monetary policy after the meltdown, and keeping our freedom and not falling into dictatorship even if our incomes drop to 3rd world levels.  There won't be anywhere to move to, because the rest of the world will be in the same trouble we are.  We will have to fix it here.

1400 trillion in shadow debt dollars on top of 90 trillion in real national debt with a gdp of 12-14 trillion give or take a few trillion for rounding errors = default.

imho -- I am not an economist. Just a regular guy and I see this coming.Frown

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen

The Department of Defense Dictionary of Military Terms defines terrorism as:

The calculated use of unlawful violence or threat of unlawful violence to inculcate fear; intended to coerce or to intimidate governments or societies in the pursuit of goals that are generally political, religious, or ideological.

Great! The founding fathers were terrorist. There are no heros left.

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen

Evolutionary Ape

I love the new icon.

OK I hate to pimp this book so much but it is so relevant to many conversation we have especially this one. Charles talks at length about what can be done in a very practical and realistic way.

So here it goes. Pimp, pimp, pimp...

Survival+: Structuring Prosperity for Yourself and the Nation by Charles Hugh Smith

Tapani's picture
Tapani

Obviously, the greatest terrorists call that "diplomacy" or "foreign policy".

What is the point of having a legal definition of terrorism? Could any govt. official be denoted terrorist, and anti-terror laws used against them?

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M

Tapani,

My thoughts exactly.
Broadened enough, anyone who is willing to use threat of violence is a terrorist.
Don't get me wrong - I'm not advocating violence - but the "unlawful use of violence" is well defined in our pre-existing class of garden variety violent offender.

There is no reason to start calling people terrorists other than it:
1. Sounds Scary
2. Is highly Dogmatic
3. Allows the introduction of new laws to intercept (See: Kill) a broad range of common criminals.

The problem with that is that now the only line between the CIA killing citizens is prior restraint.
Which isn't even really acknowledged on the Law Enforcement level - if they want you, they'll get you.

Again, I think that these guys really think they're protecting us.
Incidentally, they just happen to be destroying the framework that keeps our society from sliding headlong into fascism.

The Road to hell and good intentions and all.
Aaron

strabes's picture
strabes
Quote:

Again, I think that these guys really think they're protecting us

This is true of the average employee, agent, operator.  Not true for the strategic planners moving us ever so incrementally toward what we all know is coming.  Same blueprint they've used throughout history.

Saffron's picture
Saffron
ccpetersmd wrote:
jrf29 wrote:

-James Madison, 1795

Great quote, jrf29! Why is it that the founders knew so much, and we have forgotten nearly just as much?

Coming in late and it's possible your question is rhetorical, but just wanted to point out that most, if not all of the founding fathers were educated through the classics: Plato, Polybius, Virgil, Cicero, Plutarch, et al. This produced individuals who had a deep understanding of history and its cycles, political systems and human nature. In contrast, our own Prussian-based educational system has only one goal in mind:

"... simply to reduce as many individuals as possible to the same safe level, to breed and train a standardized citizenry, to put down dissent and originality."         ~ H.L. Mencken, 1924 

I'd say it's succeeded, seeing how we have plenty of warning here that the country is going to hell in a handbasket with our political leaders at the helm, and we all can do is talk about how it's too late and we just need to worry about creating our own little communities that can weather the coming storm. Hopefully our children (the Hero Generation, for those who have read the 4th Turning) will have a little more gumption. The least we can do for them is start collecting some classics they can read while they are holed up waiting for the storm to pass so they can pick up the pieces.

The Evolutionary Ape wrote:

The idea I came up with as I was thinking of Thomas Paine's Common Sense, is to type up a one page document detailing the direction we are headed and the action every citizen take to divert us from our path (call your senator, stage nonviolent protests on a frequent basis, educate your neighbors, strengthen communities by having frequent town meetings, Crash Course viewings, develop a thorough understanding of the Constitution, READ history and what happened to nations in our position).  Print out a few thousand copies, then hire some college students for minimum wage off of Craigslist to pass them out in the street and to people they cross.  Granted many people won't miss the season opener of Lost to read or do anything, but there are people out there who are ready for action but wonder if they are islands in a quickly changing world.  All that is needed is momentum.  Knowledge is potential power and coupled with action that power is recognized.  The Tea Party is a living, current example.  With Twitter, Facebook and other social networking tools this can gather steam quickly.

Evolutionary Ape, don't give up ... I attended a Tea Party rally a few months ago and was so disappointed with how few showed up, until I realized upon reading your post that that's exactly what TPTB are hoping for - that we'll get discouraged and nobody will pick up the baton because it seems so overwhelming. But you are so right about Twitter and the other networking tools - it may take awhile to get people off that LOST show and paying attention to what's going on around them, but once a few do, word can spread like wildfire. That is one advantage we have over the founding fathers - the speed with which we could get the word out, if anyone were to start listening.

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus

It's a conspiracy!

Actually, I wish coincidence theorists would start paying more attention to stuff like this. And you want to know WHY we don't ever trust "the official version"? 

Honest. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments