Good place to buy land/house in North East?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
paranoid's picture
paranoid
Good place to buy land/house in North East?

anyone know of some good places to look to buy a self sufficient type of homestead? I see prices in the Pocono region of Pa are pretty low. I love New Paltz, NY but the prices there seem relatively high still. Closer (2 hr drive ) to NYC would be great, but I imagine prices are higher the closer to NYC you desire. 

Maybe the Catskill region of NY?  Upstate Ct near the NY & Mass borders? 

joemanc's picture
joemanc
Re: Good place to buy land/house in North East?

Take a look at Litchfield county in Northwest CT. Plenty of farmland, plenty of water. Lots of small towns that have been around since the 1700's.

Doug's picture
Doug

It isn't closer to NYC, but I used to live in Schoharie Co. and loved it.  I've followed real estate prices and they are still quite low.  It is north of the Catskills and west of Albany.

Doug

bluestone's picture
bluestone

Paranoid

I agree with Doug.  I live north of Albany NY.  Land immediately around albany and 30-40 miles north is still pretty pricey, but not terrible.  Land to the east and in the Berkshires in western Mass is pretty expensive.  My in laws live in Great Barrington in the Berkshires.  It is beautiful there but a lot of wealthy New Yorkers have bought all the big estates.  it makes it really hard for the locals to buy a decent property.   But go west of Albany, there is a lot of land and my understanding is that price is reasonable.

Brian

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
paranoid wrote:

anyone know of some good places to look to buy a self sufficient type of homestead? I see prices in the Pocono region of Pa are pretty low. I love New Paltz, NY but the prices there seem relatively high still. Closer (2 hr drive ) to NYC would be great, but I imagine prices are higher the closer to NYC you desire. 

Maybe the Catskill region of NY?  Upstate Ct near the NY & Mass borders? 

The New Paltz area is relatively expensive (I oughta know, my wife & I live near there), but FWIW the extra expense might be worth it as there are many people here who are well about the business of sustainability, local agriculture, and so forth.  Fertile ground for resilient living going forward...

Viva -- Sager

Fabion's picture
Fabion

Personally, I think you should look to the Western or Southern states, personally. Much cheaper land and taxes - which makes for a more relaxed retirement unless you have some attachments to NE such as family. Again, what kind of weather do you like? Places like Western NC and TN are really beautiful and not much different from CT, weather wise. Talk about cheap! Taxes can be $1000 / Year instead of for a quarterly payment up here and land prices are 1/2 or less. I have a friend in Hickory, NC and he loves it. I have traveled through TN and also find it very nice, especially in the mountains. Most of the Southern states are nice, but once you get down to SC and below, its getting too hot for me.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments