Good News: Cold Fusion is Hot Again!

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
paranoid's picture
paranoid
Good News: Cold Fusion is Hot Again!

60 minutes had a great show on this: seems now that cold fusion is credible and could be an alternative to Oil

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/1998/07/08/60minutes/main13502.shtml

BSV's picture
BSV
Re: Good News: Cold Fusion is Hot Again!

A definite "maybe". Having been interested in "cold fusion" for years, I have followed the topic fairly closely. It has been evident for several years that there is something to cold fusion. Several magazines, including "Wired", have run interestings stories on the topic. Not long ago no credible scientist would risk associating his/her name with cold fusion research. But now it seems to be gaining respectability.

The reality, however, is that we are probably many years away from any practical application of this technology. It's going to take time, money and lots of additional research to turn this into something worthwhile. But we can all hope for the best.

There is also "hot" fusion. For years scientists have been attempting to develop a fusion reactor that produces more energy than it consumes. They are not there yet, not by a long shot. But recently I read with interest an article about a combination fission-fustion reactor proposal that might work. Basically, the fission reactor triggers the fusion reaction. This, too, is going to require lots of additional research and (surprise!) money.

Barring some miracle techological breakthrough, Peak Oil is probably going to do us in before sufficient alternative energy sources can be developed.

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451

Paranoid,

Don't hate me for putting this page from Wikipedia up...it's just that the first paragraph of it has this line within it :-

" Palladium is a rare and lustrous silvery-white metal..."

...the word 'rare' is screaming loudly at me.

Palladium

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palladium

Remember Chris Martensons words always :-

" Time/Scale/Cost and Rarity "

...in this instance, will we be able to create machinery in the future that is run solely by cold fusion so that we can dig up and process palladium with it in the way we use oil to drill for oil?

Best,

Paul

Broadspectrum's picture
Broadspectrum
Re: News: Cold Fusion is Hot Again! Economy Back to Normal??

As we may all know, the "normal" economy cannot be returned to again and grow without the energy to do so.  And cold fusion, supposedly, would be that energy source that would allow us to return to "back to normal" as we deal with peak oil.  But as Carolyn Baker writes about in her latest, "ECONOMIC RECOVERY? NO THANK YOU" She cringes when she hears the words "back to normal" because of what that means to her.  http://carolynbaker.net/site/content/view/1066/1/

Please take some time to read it.  What is "normal" to you and why would returning to it be desirable? 

Quote from the article, "Normal" means hordes of Walmart shoppers stuffing cars and SUV's full of plastics from China and driving off to their suburban homes to devour or display them until the current fix wears off and their shallow, meaningless lifestyles demand yet another "mall injection". Normal means homeowners wearing several tons of house on their backs as they travel by car to jobs they despise to maintain mortgage, taxes, insurance, and upkeep. Normal means total oblivion to the polar bear whose heart exploded during the last half-mile of his frantic swim in search of any tiny chunk of ice on which he could rest in order to regain his strength and continue his quest for food. Normal means infinite patches of sickened brown trees devastated by the mountain pine beetle in an otherwise green Colorado forest. Normal means NASCAR and another nuclear power plant coming online and oceanic dead zones the size of countries. Did you hear? We're going back to normal-to parents working 80 hours a week while their kids become junkies, bulimic, or pregnant. Normal means slamming down more McDonalds Happy Meals chased with Red Bull and Prozac. Normal means that I have nothing to do with nature, and it has nothing to do with me, and furthermore, if I have anything to do with it, I'll do with it whatever the hell I like. Normal means that my reason for being is to consume, stuff my face, watch reality TV, obsess over celebrity gossip, chatter around the water cooler about pirates and tea parties, and grab a couple of hours of Ambien-induced sleep at the end of the day if I'm lucky."

Cold fusion would solve energy but what about all the other aspects of our era that are derived from oil like plastics, drugs, pesticides...?

Broadspectrum

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451

Broadspectrum,

Killer Post!!!

Welcome to this mad-house forum...

I borrowed this from an earlier post I wrote :-

you see it on the faces of drivers in morning traffic, over the desks piled up with more and more stuff acting as a middle-man cog for all those pointless tasks for modern life; the nurseries you pay for your children to be looked after while you earn a living to pay for it. To gain the better view from the corporate office building on a higher floor so you can while away your pointless life doing 'self-important' tasks for less and less worthy people; many of whom have bought the ideal hook-line-and-sinker and balk at you when you say the things you really feel on a monday morning or a Friday afternoon.

I saw Ibuprofen packets littering the tiny back seat of a high-powered Porsche - the man in the silk suit in a hurry from nowhere to nowhere; mothers dragging red-faced tired children from car to shopping trolley, trolley to car for the long and exhausting drive home to a neighbourhood filled with identical houses and identical cars on identical driveways with clean mown lawns for a dinner out of a box, to smile at friends over a Saturday evening meal that you nolonger even like.

When are people going to scream at the futility of it and take control of their own lives and do for themselves? When are they going to cast the puppet-strings and the power-outfits and their lying faces and really ask themselves,"what the hell am I doing this for!!" "There has to be a better way than this!!"

I never wanted to roll over to my wife at fifty and realise she never really loved me, just the baubles and geegaws that I could afford a trophy wife. I didn't want to be told at fifty that "I never really loved you", and realised I'd lived a lie for a thirty year marriage being fueled by suburbia and keeping up with my neighbours capped teeth and the holidays to Crete and the crashing bores at 'The Club' that know no different but equally questiion "WHY?"

...so I didn't; I haven't and I wouldn't...

I've lived quite freely in amongst a circle of friends and travelled countries where I avoided such stifling criticism and dullard accountability but, finally, aged thirty-three ( a sign-post year?) I finally succumbed to the hormones and glands clashing and met the lady I always wanted; absolutely no interest in baubles and geegaws and is driven along by reality...

But...we bought a house in suburbia with the lawns and the matching cars and corporate jobs, and something felt like I was dying deep down inside of me; something felt wrong and sick; beyond the scope of what reality really is with all these Peters and Janes telling me "it's just the way things are Paul, always have and always will!"

Yeah...Bullsh*t...

Then I found out about Peak Oil...Cool

Paul

...oops! Cold fusion thread...

EndGamePlayer's picture
EndGamePlayer
Re: Good News: Cold Fusion is COLD Again!

After following CF for years - - HYdrogen is explosive, Oxygen is explosive - and the combination is more explosive than nitro. .  so once we figure out HOW TO get that energy safely- why would we ever need any other energy?  The problem is - everyone thinks water is so beniegn and once a magnetic field alligns the molecules - tapping off the energy is easy. (At least it should be).

Heavy water is everywhere - about 1 teaspoon in every gallon. For those who think it needs palladium - BS.

But do be careful - rumors of very bad results have followed early dabblers of the art.

My thought on this was "they would never let it happen" because with totally free energy comes a loss of control. Total freedom of the world population to do what they want - when they want -how they want. IF there ever got to be a source of unlimited energy - all control is lost as borders dissapear, no hunger or reason to make people work, no need for money, no taxes, no control. We wouldn't be shopping in our SUVs- we'd be flying around in our "mobile copter-houses". Why buy from Walmart when could just jump over to China to buy from warehouses? 

EGP

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

I will give a standing ovation to the author of any post with the word "geegaw".

Bravo Paul.

And I am happy to say that 90% of Carolyn Baker's "normal" does not show up on my list of normal.  Very interesting read though - all the more unsettling because she describes the majority.

At least until the house of cards falls...............

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451

Where was my Oxford Thesaurus when I needed it most Rick ......

Best,

Paul ......

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments