Good crash-resistant livelihoods?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
puglogic's picture
puglogic
Good crash-resistant livelihoods?

I work in technology, and know that what I do for a living will probably NOT earn me much of a living if things go downhill fast.

Which makes me ponder: what are some livelihoods that will not only still be in demand post-mess, but maybe even moreso?  I'm also very good at permaculture, harvesting water, growing food etc. for example, and could earn a few bucks helping others get set up.   I've wondered about things like learning a good repair skill, or locksmithing.  Any other thoughts/ideas on this topic?

Thanks,

pug

becky's picture
becky
Re: Good crash-resistant livelihoods?

Welcome pug!

Midwife, Seamstress, Tailor, Soapmaker, Candlemaker, someone knowledgeable about food preservation (to do it for others or to teach others how to can, preserve, make jerky, etc), Blacksmith

Basically, many of those trades that my high school career/guidance counselors would have rolled their eyes at several decades ago (I specifically remember one of them making a comment about how nobody could possibly make a living from being a blacksmith -- which even at the time seemed like a stupid attitude to me).

becky

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX

Hey pug --

If you know permaculture etc. then you're *way* ahead of the game.  Below is a link to the "200 Skills in a Victorian Town" -- the 200 occupations necessary to maintain a town in the Victorian era.  A number of them aren't relevant unless you're expecting an utter and total collapse (peg maker, charcoal burner), but they might be a thought-provoking place to start:

http://transitionculture.org/2009/01/22/the-200-artisan-skills-required-...

I call dibs on animal husbandry (goats, chickens et alia) and distiller!

Viva -- Sager

Davos's picture
Davos

I'd agree with the above.

We are both in the tech sector as well and talk about this all the time.

Having said that, this "Who made money as the markets tanked" video was amusing. Sorry Walter (my neighbor is a very successful financial planner.)

Take care.

PS I've toyed with the idea of buying gold, selling food via the web (store-able food sales are up 150% or 500% I forgot which.) I'm sure pay day loans and pawn shops will thrive.

Longer term I'm very bullesh on Perma-Culture, solar, wind, and sustainable living, earth rammed homes (like we need more homes but we do need energy effecient ones.

puglogic's picture
puglogic
SagerXX wrote:

All yours, SagerXX......oh wow, I just missed an obvious one there too.  My husband is a brewer (professionally).  He has always said he was drawn to it because the town's brewer was a respected position in past societies LOL   Who knows...he may get his chance at that.  Have to figure out how to get grains up here to the Rocky Mountain foothills...maybe barter...we already grow our own hops.

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
puglogic wrote:
SagerXX wrote:

All yours, SagerXX......oh wow, I just missed an obvious one there too.  My husband is a brewer (professionally).  He has always said he was drawn to it because the town's brewer was a respected position in past societies LOL   Who knows...he may get his chance at that.  Have to figure out how to get grains up here to the Rocky Mountain foothills...maybe barter...we already grow our own hops.

If they can grow grains for beer in Scotland, you can probably do it in the Rockies (possibly need to use a winter wheat, but still...)...

Or for mead, all you need is honey, water & yeast.  Frankly, anything that has a metabolize-able sugar can be used to brew somethin' or other...

Viva -- Sager

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments