Good Banks in the US?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mr. Fri's picture
Mr. Fri
Good Banks in the US?

Does anyone have suggestions of how I can find a bank that is not in trouble of closing or being taken over by the government? I've been at BofA for a long time but it looks like they may end up government owned.  I'm not sure I want to have my safe deposit box in BofA.  I was thinking of using a small local bank but I want to make sure it's not in trouble with bad securities or other issues.

lundsta's picture
lundsta
Re: Good Banks in the US?

Are you wanting to find another bank just for a safe deposit box? Be careful here, banks are able to look in them with "reasonable cause". If it is to safeguard funds in a checking/savings account during the short term (1 year or less) you should be ok in a smaller institution. 

****Remember to never have a checking or savings account with the institution that carries your mortgage or other personal loans. They can offset those accounts if you are past due.*****  There are exceptions to this rule, but for the most part I see people who have given up on their homes and then are left without savings anyway.

There are many aspects to consider in this decision. How much faith you have in the FDIC? Are you looking for long term or short term?  

LindaBobzien's picture
LindaBobzien

From an earlier posting;

LindaBobzien wrote:

Some time ago I was looking for a safer bank also.  I found a good
state by state report on Elliot Wave.  I am not a big EW fan especially
but the report was good.  I chose a privately held local bank and have
been very happy.

Here's the link to the EW report.  You must join to get the report
but joining is free.  They do tend to send allot of spam but unsubing
from the newsletter is easy enough.

http://www.elliottwave.com/club/Find_A_Safe_Bank_Free_Report.aspx/default.aspx?code=26750 

Mr. Fri's picture
Mr. Fri

Thanks Linda for the link.  However, I'm not sure I want to get spammed and only get 2 banks in my state.  I'm looking for a list which would have many more banks on it so I can compare.  Hopefully someone here can point me to a (reliable) list of that sort.

alexl2's picture
alexl2

Would this be of help to you?
http://www.bankrate.com/brm_c/safesound/ss_home.asp

Mr. Fri's picture
Mr. Fri

Thanks Alex.  That's what I was looking for.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments