Gonna miss Gungnir and PlicketyCat for a while.

59 posts / 0 new
Last post
JRB's picture
JRB
Gonna miss Gungnir and PlicketyCat for a while.

Chris commented that he had an idea why more folks do not post on the forums. In my case, I have been a member for a couple of months and this is my first post.  I have spent a lot of time lurking in the various forums, absorbing the wealth of information and perspectives.  There is such a rich diversity of experience here that I was so absorbed with reading the various threads that I did not initially feel that I had much to add.  I am beginning to see some contributions that I may make. I was prompted to make this first post since I wanted to sneak in a word of appreciation to these two before they leave for AK.

I understand we will have minimal interaction with them for a while.  I for one hope they will be able to check in often as soon as possible. Aside from being envious of their adventure and very curious about the status of their homesteading, I have greatly appreciated their posts and wanted to wish them the best.  

Gungnir and PlicketyCat. I hope you will be able to get your link up and continue to enrich this community ASAP.

- Jim

BSV's picture
BSV
Re: Gonna miss Gungnir and PlicketyCat for a while.

I seldom post these days, preferring to read what others have to say. That said, I wish Gungnir and PlickityCat the very best of luck, good health and prosperity as they embark upon their Alaska adventure. I respectfully ask others who are like minded to post their good wishes to this (fairly) young couple as they begin their adventure. Based upon a timeline in their blog, as I type this they are probably climbing into their truck and rented UHaul and heading north to Alaska. They figure it will take five days to get there. Gungnir until recently worked for a well known software company in the Redmond, Washington area. You know the one.

This adventure of theirs fascinates me, a 65 year old male who lives on a ranch with my loving wife in Central Texas. PlickityCat and Gungnir purchased some land about four hours west of Fairbanks in permafrost country. Their new homestead is just south of the Arctic Circle. I've been in that vicinity and I can tell you firsthand that the mosquitos there in summer are at least half an inch long. My wife and I are proud of our Texas home and our mosquitoes are pretty big. But I am in awe of Alaska mosquitoes along the Arctic Circle. Trust me on this one -- they are big and aggressive.

Gungnir and PlickityCat will be living in a canvas tent until they can put up a more permanent home. They will be in bear country and I fear for them. Both of them are resourceful people, but summer is more than half over in their intended home. So they will face a challenge in getting settled in before winter arrives. In that lattitude, winter is fierce. I cannot help but worry. Though I have never met them, I find myself worrying about them every day.

If you are of like mind, please think good thoughts about the two of them and keep them in your thoughts and prayers (sorry moderator) as they embark upon their adventure of a lifetime. I will pray daily for their well being until I know that they are settled in and secure.

There is a small village in the area in which their new homestead is located. They will have occasional e-mail access via the local school in that village. But we might not hear much from them for a while. Eventually they should have two way satellite Internet access but it might be a while before that is established. Meanwhile, they need our good wishes as they embark on their Alaska adventure. My heart goes out to them. It would be nice if, when they next log on, they are greeted by lots of well wishes...

BSV

becky's picture
becky

Plickety and Gungnir,

I'll be thinking good thoughts.  Stay safe and enjoy your journey.  I can't wait to hear about it.  Your posts have added many a smile and much added knowledge in the few months that you've been part of this community.  

With friendship,

becky

Gungnir's picture
Gungnir

We haven't gone yet but have loaded the U-Haul and the Truck for the beginning of the transit up to AK in the morning.

At the moment I feel like I've played a full game of NFL football both offense, defense, and special teams without pads. So with only a few things to clear up in the morning we'll be off. We'll keep you posted as to our adventures.

Thanks for the kind wishes.

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus

Plickety and Gungnir.

You're among my two favorite posters. First, hurry up and get up to AK. Second, get satcom internet!

Best of luck to the both of you.

Pete

gyrogearloose's picture
gyrogearloose

Hi

Good luck, what an adventure.

Regards Hamish

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX

Safe trip you two, and VIVA!! 

jerry_lee's picture
jerry_lee

Tell the permafrost a story

And listen to the moon.

Discover ancient glory

And hum a friendly tune.

Until then all the best

Jerry Lee

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd

Save travels to you!

CB's picture
CB

Best of luck to you two - enjoy the travel and the destination!

Broadspectrum's picture
Broadspectrum

Gungnir & PlicketyCat,

Best wishes for your future endeavors and may it be a great success.  I can't wait to hear about your adventures when you are able.  You'll be missed around here. 

I also read a lot more on this site than I post things.  I recently read in a thread that Gungnir is a physicist.  I wonder if you have seen the docudrama, "What the Bleep...Do You Know"?

Take care,

Broadspectrum

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
From the Northwest corner..................

Plick and Gungnir -

May the four winds blow you safely home..............

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Into the Wild
Dogs_In_A_Pile wrote:

Plick and Gungnir -

May the four winds blow you safely home..............

That'd be a trick . . . If all four winds equally came into play at once, they'd either be blasted into space, or . . .

All joking aside, good luck on your journey, you two . . . If you're like me, before a backpacking trip, you're all gung ho, but there's always that moment, usually a day before the trip, when I wonder what in the heck I was thinking . . . That it's insane to leave the comfort of my home, and go "into the wild" . . . And then I get over it, and remind myself that, with regard to my feet, all I have to do is pick them up . . . and gravity will put them down.  Whatever the outcome, no one can say that you lived unremarkable lives . . . Stay in touch, y'all!

Roads go ever ever on,
Over rock and under tree,
By caves where never sun has shone,
By streams that never find the sea;
Over snow by winter sown,
And through the merry flowers of June,
Over grass and over stone,
And under mountains in the moon.
Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star,
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known

-- J.R.R. Tolkien

rocketgirl1's picture
rocketgirl1

May all that you do be completely worth your while  God speed.

ao's picture
ao

Good luck you two and have a safe journey and many enjoyable adventures.  Many thanks for all your contributions here.  If you get a chance, pick up some bottles of Sambucol.  Probably the best natural anti-viral I've come across to deal with colds and flus in a pleasant manner.  Make yourself an Indian sweat lodge for baking your bones in the middle of winter.  Your bodies will appreciate it and it helps de-scent your bodies for hunting.  Don't build anything on or near bear trails.  And keep in touch, we'll miss you.  

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
ao wrote:

Make yourself an Indian sweat lodge for baking your bones in the middle of winter.  Your bodies will appreciate it and it helps de-scent your bodies for hunting.  Don't build anything on or near bear trails. 

OK, AO, you've inspired me to start a list of wisecrack advice for the far north:

• Don’t argue with large drunk men.
  • Don’t butt in line at the grizzly bear smorgasbord.
  • Don’t eat yellow snow.
  • Don’t go outside to pee at night . . . That’s what Mason jars are for . . .
  • Don’t spit into the wind without goggles on.
  • Invest in a quality pair of mitten clips.
  • If your toes turn black, it’s time to come inside.

Anybody else want to contribute to this debauchery?

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
C1oudfire wrote:
ao wrote:

Make yourself an Indian sweat lodge for baking your bones in the middle of winter.  Your bodies will appreciate it and it helps de-scent your bodies for hunting.  Don't build anything on or near bear trails. 

OK, AO, you've inspired me to start a list of wisecrack advice for the far north:

• Don’t argue with large drunk men.
  • Don’t butt in line at the grizzly bear smorgasbord.
  • Don’t eat yellow snow.
  • Don’t go outside to pee at night . . . That’s what Mason jars are for . . .
  • Don’t spit into the wind without goggles on.
  • Invest in a quality pair of mitten clips.
  • If your toes turn black, it’s time to come inside.

Anybody else want to contribute to this debauchery?

Addendum:  Oh, and, Don't argue with large drunk women, either.

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Sambucol/Sambucus for Colds and Flu
ao wrote:

If you get a chance, pick up some bottles of Sambucol.  Probably the best natural anti-viral I've come across to deal with colds and flus in a pleasant manner. 

You know, AO, you just convinced me to go ahead and order those supplies for making elderberry wine, and probably some elderberry cough syrup, too.  It won't be long before the elderberries (Sambucus spp.) ripen  . . .

Gungnir's picture
Gungnir
Re: Sambucol/Sambucus for Colds and Flu

So we just arrived in Dawsons Creek, after spending last night with JPitre (after missing his place a couple of times). Thanks for Jim and Kathleen for putting Jennine and I up, and making us feel welcome.

Anyway so we're off to hunt for some food, we'll update after dinner.

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Gungnir & Plickety Cat in Dawson's Creek, BC
Gungnir wrote:

So we just arrived in Dawsons Creek, after spending last night with JPitre (after missing his place a couple of times). Thanks for Jim and Kathleen for putting Jennine and I up, and making us feel welcome.

Anyway so we're off to hunt for some food, we'll update after dinner.

Map

Highlighted in GREEN is Al-Can in it's entirety running west from Dawson's Creek, BC to Fairbanks, Alaska

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat

Hello all, we had some very wonderful dinner at The White Spot in Dawson Creek, so if any of you ever come through here, I highly recommend it!

Thank you all for your kind words and well wishes. We're being as safe on our travels as we can; but I am a truck-driving demon and have no qualms driving a fully-loaded U-Haul at 80 mph through the mountains LOL.  Ok, I did slow down a little for the curvy bits :D

Thanks so much to Jim and Kathleen for waiting up way past their bed time for us, for the yummy salmon loaf, and a warm comfy bed. Your generosity and great company is well appreciated!

Today's journey takes us to Watson Lake. So we'll be leaving British Columbia behind for the Yukon Territory... at least for a little bit, as the Alcan passes back and forth between the two for a little while. If you look on C1oud's map, Watson Lake is just past the border... one long haul today :)

Don't know if there is internet access at the next place, but we'll check in when we can. Be well!

jpitre's picture
jpitre

Hi Everyone

My wife & I spend our summers   at our old family homestead just off the Cariboo highway in BC, Canada which is a main route to Alaska from the lower 48 so it worked well for Plickety and Gungnir first night on the road at our place.

They are  a breath of enthusiastic fresh air. They arrived last night for a brief visit on the way by to Alaska loaded loaded to the hilt with all possessions required to move into the middle of (nearly) nowhere in Alaska.

I think they have thought of nearly everything. I don't envy them the first winter. Starting now with building shelter, fighting mosquitos and the elements in general and getting firewood, they will be working long days to be ready to survive winter with its dark and cold

Both my wife and I concluded that we haven't seen more enthusiasm and intelligence from anyone that matches, so if anyone can do it, they can !!

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor

Good luck, dudes!

Get that sourdough starter going as soon as you get there!

SG

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Gungnir wrote:

Just arrived in Dawson Creek

PlicketyCat wrote:

Don't know if there is internet access at the next place, but we'll check in when we can.

Shucks, guys . . . If I didn't know better, I'd say you missed us . . . .

Juli B's picture
Juli B

To add to C1oudfire's menu of addled Alaskan advice....

Remember that you sleep with your sourdough--and it ain't the large drunk man/woman you didn't pick a fight with--unless it happens to be your mate!

and ...Moose ALWAYS have the right of way.

Travel safely and well--enjoy Eskimo ice cream for us. I'll send prayers and good energy your way as you all go screamin' down the Alaskan pipeline (I mean...highway...I mean...bear track....)

ciao and meow,

juli

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Juli B wrote:

addled Alaskan advice....

Uh, that would be triple-A (AAA) travel advice . . .

Juli B's picture
Juli B
C1oudfire wrote:
Juli B wrote:

addled Alaskan advice....

Uh, that would be triple-A (AAA) travel advice . . .

LOL--travel, Northern Exposure style!

juli

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat

Well, we're in Destruction Bay, on the shore of Lake Kluane. That's the huge blue dot above the huge teal block (Kluane National Park Reserve). So, you can see that we're almost to AK, just a few hundred klicks to go and it's on to Fairbanks!  Then the real adventure begins!

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
PlicketyCat wrote:

Well, we're in Destruction Bay, on the shore of Lake Kluane. That's the huge blue dot above the huge teal block (Kluane National Park Reserve). So, you can see that we're almost to AK, just a few hundred klicks to go and it's on to Fairbanks!  Then the real adventure begins!

YEEHAW!  Can't wait to hear more from ya'll once you're boots on the ground.

Viva -- Sager

Gungnir's picture
Gungnir

You'll probably here me griping a great deal about my aches pains, bumps and bruises.

Hey I got an idea, how about you come visit and fix me up after the first few weeks show your community spirit.

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd
Gungnir wrote:

You'll probably here me griping a great deal about my aches pains, bumps and bruises.

Hey I got an idea, how about you come visit and fix me up after the first few weeks show your community spirit.

Certainly! You need a surgeon up there?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments